Start by marking “The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dagger Quick (The Dagger Chronicles, #1)

The Dagger Quick

( The Dagger Chronicles #1)

A stirring tale of rousing old-fashioned adventure, THE DAGGER QUICK is the story of twelve-year-old Christopher, a boy with a clubfoot seemingly doomed to follow in the boring footsteps of his father as a cooper in 17th century England. That is, until he meets his uncle- William Quick, infamous pirate, and the only man ever crazy enough to steal from the infamous Governor ...more
Published May 10th 2011 by Simon Schuster/Paula Wiseman Books (first published May 3rd 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Dagger Quick, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Dagger Quick

C.J. Milbrandt
Until the day Captain William Quick arrives at port in Kitto's hometown, the boy has no idea that his hard-working cooper father (that's a barrel-maker, by the by) had ever done anything more interesting than turn staves into barrels.

Privateers and pirates. Step-mothers and half-brothers. Old secrets and hard memories. Slave ships and cheeky monkeys. A vivid adventure that takes the time to explore the complexities of integrity, loyalty, and bravery. Eames has impressed me, and I'm eager for mo
Madeline
This was given to me by my Literature professor, who is friends with the author - which explains why I spent a couple weeks reading a book clearly not intended for my age group or perhaps my entire gender (but more on that later). Still, overall it was a fun experience.

The book is about 12-year-old Kitto Wheale, who learns that his father has dabbled in piracy in the past, and that his uncle is still a pirate and searching for the treasure he stole from Henry Morgan. Then Kitto's father is murde
Jarm Boccio
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Although it took me awhile to get into the story, (it drag a bit at the beginning), by the end, I was drawn into the adventure. Fine book for a boy who loves the high seas, adventure and pirates!
Karissa
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I got an advanced reading copy of this book through the Amazon Vine program. It looked like a fun book, a rousing pirate adventure of sorts. It was okay; the pacing of the story is a bit off and the characters a bit inconsistent. I do think younger readers will enjoy the adventure and the pirates.

Kitto Quick is a clubfoot who is learning his father's trade of being a cooper. Kitto doesn't want to be a cooper though he wants to sail the high seas. When part of Kitto's father's sordid past comes b
Margo Tanenbaum
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Looking for a rip-roaring adventure story for summer fun, reminiscent of classic pirate yarns like Treasure Island (but without the challenging vocabulary)? Make sure to keep an eye out for The Dagger Quick, a page-turning tale from debut author (and long-time teacher) Brian Eames.
Eames spins the story of 12-year old Christopher Quick, known as Kitto, who lives in 17th century Cornwall and is apprenticed to his father to be a cooper, or barrel-maker. Kitto longs for a life of adventure at sea,
Nannah
I wasn't as impressed with this book as I wanted to be. The language seemed a little bit stilted and the story quite contrived.

For example, the dialogue would shift to using absolutely NO contractions even where the dialogue would flow better to using many contractions. Through the same characters. And there was even a time where a character said (fairly late in the book), "I ain't never seen Mum scared," which totally contradicts the language that's been used in the book thus far, even by this
Jacob
Jun 28, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: youth, from_library
A good swashbuckling pirate story, and my only complaint is that it doesn't stand on its own. It's not a big deal since I was planning to read The Dagger X anyway, but that is a pet peeve of mine. It's youth-oriented; I saw this on a shelf at the library and thought my older two boys would like it, but they've shied away. I insisted it must be a hidden gem and determined to read it myself. That will show them!

Fortunately it IS quite good. It takes a bit to figure out what's going on at the begin
Laura Shannon
Nov 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I often trade books with my oldest daughter, who is 12. She read this book and loved it. She loved it so much, in fact, that she went on and for days about how the ending had such a great cliffhanger and she really hoped that there will be a second book. So I decided to give it a try, as well.
It is very surprising that Mr. Eames is a first-time novelist. Not all first novels are written this well. The character and plot development are first rate and the ending, which takes up the last 1/3 of t
Ms. Patterson
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it
Kitto believes that he will follow his father into the business of making barrels, but secretly wishes he could become a sailor instead. He was born with a club foot and he knows that limits him in the eyes of the world. When he meets his uncle, the infamous pirate William Kidd, Kitto's life is thrown into turmoil. His father is murdered, his brother and stepmom are kidnapped, and Kitto joins forces with his uncle to get revenge on the man behind it all -- the Jamaican Governor.

As advertised, T
BAYA Librarian
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
Kitto Wheale lives in Falmouth in 1689, with his father, stepmother and younger brother, and is suddenly wrenched out of his ordinary life when he finds out that his uncle is a notorious pirate and he and his father are about to join the pirate Will Quick on a voyage to recover a treasure stolen from Henry Morgan…if Morgan’s men don’t get them first.

This adventure story is well researched and fast moving, although the heavy handed foreshadowing is jarring. Awkward and ungrammatical sentences ab
Theo
Jun 09, 2011 rated it it was ok
I found it not good because it had nothing to do with the dagger on the cover and he was a Quick, but not a Dagger Quick. At the very beginning he SHOT somebody! Through the eye, and I found that extremely violent. Not my kind of book. And the monkey as well on his shoulder had nothing to do
with it except that it was Van's monkey. Van is sort-of annoying, as well. He's like "oh, I want to work for Captain Evil Dude" and "Oh my gosh, how could I ever think something like that?" So he's friends wi
Bari
Oct 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
This book received great reviews by Kirkus, Bulletin of the Center for Children's Books and School Library Journal. For this reason as well as the description I decided to read it. I was looking forward to reading a great kids book that I could recommend. Unfortunately, this book did not live up to the hype and I was disappointed.

I found the story to be slow and not all the riveting, the characters were not interesting or engaging and the action I was looking for seemed lacking.

Due to all of t
Grace Cuenca
Sep 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was good. My favorite part was when Kitto was rescuing his brother from the slavery ship. That part was exciting and my heart was pounding all through it. I was thinking Would Kitto make it or become a slave just like Duck? This book was full of excitment, bad, good, evil, and some old fasioness too (17th century). Many times I was scared for Kitto and what danger he put himself in. I was so sad when Kitto had to go through the fact that his father was dead and when he was left all al ...more
Dru
Nov 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a well-written story of a Kitto, who joins a pirate ship after his father is murdered. The story does a fantastic job of giving everyone on the ship a bit of perspective. Kitto's disability is mentioned, but it never drives the action and is merely a reminder of the life Kitto left. The biggest problem with this is that it just ends. No resolution. If this was supposed to be part one of a larger story, it would have been nice for the story to somewhat conclude. Instead we're left with ch ...more
Aymeezus
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'm taking a wild guess that this is intended for those who's tastes are faster paced. The dialects were a bit sketchy, but who's to know, being so engulfed by the story. It may not have been a reasonable plot nor the most easiest to understand, but it is as good as any pirate related form of entertainment. I'm a bit disappointed that the goals of each character is a bit in the fog, and the cliffhanger in the end more so!
Alex
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Awesome! A solid pirate tale that reads as if it were an alternate telling of treasure island. Kitto is cripple who sees no joy in life except to follow in his fathers foot steps and become a barrel maker when a stranger comes through the door of their work shop. That stranger looks a lot like his father and spins a strange story of captain Morgan and hidden treasure......

Exciting fromthe first page 4.5 stars
Doris Gwaltney
Sep 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: doris-gwaltney
The book's cover and every written word inside it create the world of seventeenth century England. An exciting world of pirates and privateers, of families that are disjointed and those willing to give their lives for each other. Christopher Quick, known as Kitto, wants to become a part of the world of ships and sailing, not the world his father wants for him... that of a cooper. And so it happens. Not as Kitto would have wished, but he does go to sea. At age 12, his life is changed forever.
Kim Gontarz
Christopher Wheale - Kitto finds out that his father had changed his last name from Quick because of shady business dealings. In 17th century England life falls apart when his father is murdered. Kitto ends up on the high sea looking for treasure for his uncle William Quick who is a Jamaican pirate. Kitto has a club foot.
Ami
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book on a whim at the library and read it in one day. It is a fast pace adventure story. Being a tale about pirates there is death and blood but it is not the main focus nor is it overly described. Some characters are noble and others are just like everyone else struggling with their own personal demons. The sequel will be out 10/13.
Donna
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great historical fiction for upper elementary kids. I'm looking forward to seeing these characters grow up along with their readers, and I'll be fascinated to see how the writing style grows with them, too.
Rebecca
Everything was kind of off...nothing felt real, nothing was exciting, and what's more, I'm pretty sure that about 100% of the dialogue was historically inaccurate in terms of grammar. Exceedingly annoying. Yuck.
Jean
Aug 31, 2011 marked it as to-read
Shelves: mg-fiction
ABA New Voices pick for MG 2011
Lynn
Oct 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Action and adventure that's reminiscent of Treasure Island or Robinson Crusoe. Looking forward to more from Brian Eames!
Charlotte
Apr 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
There has to be a book two, no? There are questions left unanswered.
Heather
"fast-paced, well-developed, and historically accurate,the lively narrative grabs readers from the get-go and keeps them sailing through the pages" SLJ
Carterkempgmail.Com
Mar 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
A fine, rollicking adventure on the high seas.
Charlene
Feb 22, 2015 rated it liked it
A pirate story, lots of action and good characterization. Heard the author at local library and enjoyed quickly reading this.
Peter
Mar 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
A fun pirate story, but a bit of a tough read for the under-12 crowd.
D.J. Butler
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-reader, pirate
This book wants to be an action book for boys, about pirates. That's awesome.

Unfortunately, it's slow, turgid, gory and full of anachronisms. Eh. Maybe the sequels will be better.
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Pirates, some death, lots of fighting and adventure. 4-8th grade
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Between Two Ends
  • Look Out for the Fitzgerald-Trouts
  • The Pirate Pig
  • Nightborn (Thrones & Bones, #2)
  • The Ghost in the Noonday Sun
  • A Waltz at Midnight
  • Fish
  • The Spell Thief (Little Legends #1)
  • Magical Mischief
  • The Double Life of Zoe Flynn
  • Return to Exile (The Hunter Chronicles #1)
  • Bridle the Wind (Felix Brooke, #2)
  • Best Friends Forever: A World War II Scrapbook
  • Marshall Armstrong Is New to Our School
  • Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe (Halcyon Blithe, #1)
  • Pirate's Passage
  • Hunt for the Pyxis (The Galaxy Pirates #1)
  • The Good Liar

The Dagger Chronicles (2 books)
  • The Dagger X (The Dagger Chronicles, #2)