Start by marking “What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008: A Practical Manual for Job-hunters and Career Changers” as Want to Read:

3.67  ·  Rating details ·  223 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
WHAT COLOR IS YOUR PARACHUTE? is still the best-selling job-hunting book in the world. A favorite of job hunters and career changers for more than three decades, it continues to be a mainstay on best-seller lists, from Amazon.com to Business Week to the New York Times, where it has spent more than six years, and has been translated into 12 languages. The 2008 edition is an ...more
Paperback, 1 page
Published October 1st 2007 by Ten Speed Press

To ask other readers questions about What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Colour Is Your Parachute? 2008

May 24, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Skimmed with minimal interest and didn't get much out of it. Has a Christian slant that I found unappealing. 1.5 old-timey stars.
Jenny Young
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book has been recommended to me by numerous people. It is a great resource during (what can be sometimes a challenging period) a job search.
Scott
May 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-solo, own
I'll defer to the many other reviews you'll find on Amazon and elsewhere describing this book as the touchstone and standby of career guides. It's so useful as a starting point in career-related decisions and so healthy in its outlook that it really ought to be required reading for all high school seniors. In the very least, I fully intend to coax my children to read it before they graduate (starting in the year 2026). The book was instrumental in helping me discover my calling as a pharmacist; ...more
Christine Ku
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
This possibly isn't the edition I read- I just borrowed the copy from my local library. Although it didn't end up the ultimate deciding factor that got me out of my uncertainty with respect to a career change, it gave me a good overview of the pertinent things that will decide how happy I feel in a job and also helped to obtain glimpses into things that I was previously unaware of regarding what I really value from a job. I would recommend this as the starting resource for anyone contemplating a ...more
Helene
Sep 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
This is a really good book for people who are job-hunting (like me) or looking to change careers. A lot of really good insight compiled into one, easy-to-read book. Bolles is a Bay Area author, which makes me feel even happier to know that he resides in the area. His writing style speaks across many age groups, so it doesn't matter how "old" you are when you read this book.

Bolles also has a workbook as a companion to the actual book. I highly recommend buying the workbook so you can follow along
Ravi
The book combines a lot of spirituality along with job search. If you want to quickly read this book, you might have to skip a lot of chapters. I am not saying spirituality is bad, but too much of it combined with job search wastes a lot of time. That is why I wouldn't recommend this book.

I would rather recommend Orville Pierson's book The Unwritten Rules of the Highly Effective Job Search. See below.
Karen Christian
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: a young person looking for a first job
I skimmed the book looking for ideas to update my resume and cover letters for future job applications. I did not find much new or useful information. This might be a better book for a young person just starting to look for a job.
Jan 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was a terrific and interesting book about getting a job and career changes. The author took the approach of provoking action. His book was the resource, next is to get a job. It was well written and interesting to read.
heather
Jan 11, 2009 rated it it was ok
What I learned from this book - resumes are useless, you need at least 80 people to help you find a job, and if all else fails, pray (to his God). I might have given it a higher rating had he left out the incessant Bible quotes and God references. Definitely a turn off.
Karra
Jan 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Job Hunters
This book was pretty good, full of good advice. But I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I'd recommend it to anyone who is looking for a conventional, normal job, but it doesn't really apply for my field.
Kathryn van Beek
Mar 28, 2015 rated it really liked it
A useful book. A lot of this type of information is available online now, but the in-depth exercises would be useful for anyone looking to change careers and especially for anyone who is unemployed and needing a boost of encouragement.
Emily Barrera
Sep 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book to anyone who is thinking about finding their way in a new profession or changing their career. This book was recommended to me in college and it really guided me in my career search.
Lindsay
Apr 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely the best job searching book I have come across. Job hunting is really miserable - and this book really makes you feel so much better about the whole thing. It definitely gives hope...
Susan
Jan 21, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Reading this one with an at-work book club. We've started with section 3 -- the find your dream job exercises. Keeping my fingers crossed that the effort will be worthwhile.
freckles
Unfortunately I'm still just as confused as I was before I read this book.
Chesway
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: owned
Useful to those who don't know what direction to take. Or which passion to follow.
Mary Katharine
Self help book.. cheesey but helped
Kate
Jan 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Career Questioners
Recommended to Kate by: My old boss
Read this book if you are not sure about your career path or want to do a career change.
Jenna
May 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
There were a lot of helpful tips in here. It also helps you try to see things through a positive light after a layoff. It really helps you analyze what direction you want your career to go in.
Erika
Feb 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
complete job and self evaluation
Matthew
Oct 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great, Insightful, Profound and so well written and so practical
Lindsey
Oct 17, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: self-help
Okay, so I'm always dreaming of my perfect job...this book is straightforward and it is giving me ways to help hubby in his job search. Then, it'll be my turn!
Samantha
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The most helpful and entertaining job-hunting book I've read so far contains step-by-step exercises. This book gives me hope. I highly recommend it.
Kathy
Sep 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Everyone wondering if they should change jobs should read this
Caitlin
Oct 28, 2008 added it
Recommends it for: Job changers
Recommended to Caitlin by: thesimpledollar.com
This book is very helpful, not only for job searching, but also for life choices. My husband and I were able to make a large life changing move using some of the techniques suggested in the book.
Emily
Mar 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: students and graduates
This book isn't just about jobs, it's about bringing together your personal interests, skills, and desires. Everyone can benefit from Richard Bolles' guidance. 5 stars!
Katie
Nov 18, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-finds
Would have been better as a graduation gift, but did have some resume ideas I had not seen before.
Anna
Nov 20, 2007 rated it liked it
I followed the recommendations in this book and my job search lasted about 5 hours. Blind luck or brilliant tactics? Not sure, but its worth the read, Id say!
Paul Sheiman
Jun 09, 2011 is currently reading it
It had me interested up until the point where it got all religious and preachy.
Rebeccameder
Aug 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: work-career
Very useful and comprehensive book for the career hunt process. Probably one of the best.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Vanishing Newspaper: Saving Journalism in the Information Age
  • Life Is Hard, Food Is Easy: The 5-Step Plan to Overcome Emotional Eating and Lose Weight on Any Diet
  • The Gaggle: How the Guys You Know Will Help You Find the Love You Want
  • The Peace of Nicias and the Sicilian Expedition (Peloponnesian War)
  • Selected Letters, 1913-1965
  • My Life As Author And Editor
  • The Heart of Coaching: Using Transformational Coaching to Create a High-performance Coaching Culture
  • Becoming a Manager: How New Managers Master the Challenges of Leadership
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • Pigs at the Trough: How Corporate Greed and Political Corruption Are Undermining America
  • Pushkin: A Biography
  • Cut to the Chase: and 99 Other Rules to Liberate Yourself and Gain Back the Gift of Time
  • The Tao of Coaching: Boost Your Effectiveness at Work by Inspiring and Developing Those Around You (Profile Business Classics)
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Moliere: A Biography
  • Harlem: The Four Hundred Year History from Dutch Village to Capital of Black America
  • Financially Fearless: The LearnVest Program for Taking Control of Your Money
  • Writing New York: A Literary Anthology

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Dick Bolles, more formally known as Richard Nelson Bolles, was a former Episcopal clergyman, a member of high-IQ society Mensa, and the author of the best-selling job-hunting book, What Color is Your Parachute? The book remained on The New York Times best-seller list for more than a decade and has sold over 10 million copies.
More about Richard N. Bolles...