Start by marking “The Four Pages of the Sermon” as Want to Read:
The Four Pages of the Sermon

The Four Pages of the Sermon

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  93 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Doing justice to the complexity of the preaching task and the questions that underlie it, Wilson organizes both the preparation and the content of the sermon around its "four pages." Each "page" addresses a different theological and creative component of what happens in any sermon. Page One presents the trouble or conflict that takes place in or that underscores the biblic ...more
Paperback
Published May 1st 1999 by Abingdon Press (first published January 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Four Pages of the Sermon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Four Pages of the Sermon

Andy Hickman
Dec 17, 2015 rated it liked it
This review of Paul Wilson's “The Four Pages of the Sermon” (1999) is presented in three parts. Part One gives an outline of the book's seven sections. Part Two is a critical evaluation of the author's opinions given from my own perspective. Part Three is a reflection of what I've learned from the book.

Part One - An Outline of Wilson's book

In chapter one “Movies, Pages, and God,” Wilson begins by asserting that effective sermons must go beyond preaching a narrative style and ensure attention to
Ryan
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great sermon structure

This is a great book about an easy to use and easy to follow sermon structure. Wilson does a great job explaining and illustrating how to use his 4 page structure.
John
Apr 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love this book. Wilson doesn't provide the theological backbone that Chapell does, but his method is very helpful. Wilson emphasizes the need to cover the whole task in the sermon -- addressing the "4 pages" -- as he calls them -- 1) the sin/problem in the text; 2) the corollary sin/problem in our day; 3) the salvation/redemption in the text; 4) the salvation/redemption in our day. I'd encourage all young preachers to read and follow this book... it's a great starting place.
Alix
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the best preaching methodolgy books I've ever read. Wilson's method is easy to apply, adaptable, and very effective. He walks the reader through it step by step and the checklist of questions at the end of each chapter is worth its weight in gold! A must have for preachers.
Jose Skinner
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-again-again
This is my go-to book for when I have to preach.
Jacob
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
required reading for my preaching class.
Scott Masters
Apr 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: seminary
An over simplification of the sermon development process, but the 4page model's a great tool for advance sermon prep and planning.
(CS214W-Homelitics/Practice of Preaching)
Matthijs
Mar 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Mooi en handig model voor preekvoorbereiding
Albert Hong
Jan 04, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: pastoral-arts
Whew! Finally finished this one. Really helpful for me in trying to develop a more scripture-centric style of preaching while maintaining the narrative approach that I suits me.
Kate Davis
Jan 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
Useful for the outline, but SO REDUNDANT! Read the first five chapters, and then the headers for the rest of the book.
Richard Lecomte