Start by marking “Amelia Bedelia and the Baby (Amelia Bedelia (HarperCollins Paperback))” as Want to Read:
Amelia Bedelia and the Baby (Amelia Bedelia (HarperCollins Paperback))

Amelia Bedelia and the Baby (Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #9)

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  2,621 Ratings  ·  86 Reviews
Amelia Bedelia said, "I don't know a thing about babies." And on that happy note, off goes everyone's favorite featherbrain -- to babysit for Missy. Missy loves her dearly, but Missy's parents aren't too sure. A new twist for an old favorite.
63 pages
Published July 1st 1996 by HarperTrophy (first published March 1981)

Swankivy
I mostly remember this Amelia Bedelia book because it was the book my group chose in gifted class when we had to act out a book, and I got to be the baby. (I always loved being the baby if I possibly could in any play-pretend scenario.) As per usual with Amelia Bedelia, the text is full of Amelia misunderstanding what she's asked to do and interpreting requests literally. She has to give the baby a bottle, but none of the types of bottles she chooses are right! No, the baby won't accept them! Wh ...more
Amar Pai
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
Amelia Bedelia is very silly. She doesn't know anything about babies, but is a good cook.
Manya
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia is very cute.I love Missy crying like a baby.
Karen
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jacob, ellie, mom
Jacob read this book for his 15min reading time. Ellie liked it so much that she read it again for her 15 min reading tim.
Blarneygod
Jun 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very cute book for young readers.
Amy
Jul 19, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
So torn on how to rate this one. I loved this one so much when I was a kid but now haaaate reading it as a grown up. A fun book for kids, perhaps. I know my daughter likes me to read it. But arghhhhhh so frustrating to read out loud!
Maryam
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed a lot was i was toddler, i really enjoyed it, i do not remember the details but i recommend it for 4 year old to 5
Rachel
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ha. My Goddaughters loved the antics of Amelia Bedelia in this book - especially as I asked them what Amelia was supposed to really do. :)
Katie Fitzgerald
Muddled, child-like Amelia Bedelia doesn't know a thing about babies (not even the fact that they're children!), so it's no surprise she doesn't make a very good babysitter. Still, despite her odd ways - allowing the baby to mash her own banana, powdering herself instead of the baby, and feeding the baby solid food before she's ready - she proves to be the exact kind of babysitter parents love to hire.

I was looking for a book to read to a first grade class on Read Across America Day when I came
An Odd1
Oct 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun
Amelia is a housemaid and does not know about babies. Mrs Carter brings strawberries and warms special milk bottle that shushes crying Missy Lane. Amelia knows how to make yummy berry tarts while she lets Missy nap. Like rest of series, Amelia takes list literally, but here specialized knowledge applies. Amelia uses nice-smelling powder on herself, plays herself with box of toys.

Surprisingly, Amelia does know how to bathe Missy in special small tub. If Missy was too young, she could only eat mu
Israel Graves
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
(Easy-to-Read)This is a great easy to read book. In this book Amelia has to be babysit an infant for the first time and boy does she have an experience! Children are introduced to problem solving, getting help from others and following directions! Amelia Bedelia has no idea how hard it is to babysit an infant but she soon learns how to improvise to make Missy happy, full and keep her from being fussy. The best thing about this book is the humor that it contains! Some of the silly mistakes that A ...more
Karly Winters
Anyone familiar with the Amelia Bedelia stories know what kind of book this is. This is a book of my choosing that I have loved since childhood. It is a story about a not-so-smart nanny named Amelia Bedelia that has to go babysit a baby despite not knowing anything about taking care of them. It’s fun to watch a grown woman mess up as she tries to take care of a child, which is something that children can surely relate to since they don’t know a lot about babies either. The pictures are small and ...more
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Kayla
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Cute, but as a mom, I cringed at the fact that Amelia Bedelia feeds the baby solid foods that she's never eaten before. Of course, it works out fine in the story, but in real life this could've been disastrous. And if the neighbor hadn't stopped by, the poor baby never would've gotten her bottle. Somehow, the mother gets over all of this once she tastes Amelia's strawberry tarts (typical ending for Bedelia books). I love watching A.B. fumble housework to-do lists, but it's not so funny when ther ...more
Nashiea Edmiston
This was my first Amelia Bedelia book and although very funny, I just couldn't understand why Amelia did some of the things she did? I do not like books where the main character appears to be "dumb" and I felt that this was the way she was being portrayed, from the attire she wore as well as her actions. My daughter, who is 9, thought it was funny but questioned her actions too! It's a level 2 beginner reader so a bit more advanced than your beginner reader. I would recommend to keep in your col ...more
Ethelen V.
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: etl2368
Parish, P., & Sweat, L. (1981). Amelia Bedelia and the baby. New York, NY: Greenwillow Books.

What do babies eat? Baby potatoes and cherry tomatoes of course! This is classic Amelia Bedelia. Amelia is asked to baby sit and the results are unexpected to say the least! This book is designed for grades 1-3. It has easy to read large print, short chapters, and colorful childlike artwork. Although this book could be read by boys, many boys will see this as a "girl" book. My children loved Amelia
R
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I grew up on Amelia books and every night when my mom would tuck me into bed, give me my stuffed animals and favorite blanket she would pile all the books I had selected onto my lap so I could start reading before bed. Usually the entire top of my bed was filled and I often fell asleep with a book laying over me. I remember always choosing as many Amelia books as I could and my mom always said she could hear me laughing from the other room while I read them. I recently started looking for copies ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids
Amelia Bedelia is always a fun read, She's a unique woman that looks at things a bit different than others generally do. But in the end her heart was always in the right place. In this story Mrs Rogers (the lady she is a maid and housekeeper for) suggests she go to the neighbors and take care of their baby. Amelia Bedelia has never cared for a baby but gets along with children so she tries. She gets in to all sorts of mishaps but in the end everyone is happy, as usual.
Robert
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, humorous, 2-0, baby, beetle, own
Eh.

I don't think I am quite the Amelia Bedelia type of reader. She seems very inept (Amelia played with the toys while the baby fussed in the playpen). I suppose that is where the humor is, but it fell flat for me.

I believe Peggy Parish has passed on, but her son continues the stories. He presented at a school I taught at several years back.
Andrea
Aug 31, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As a kid I really enjoyed these books but unfortunately, I read this book this year and I found her communications annoying rather than funny. It stills holds a special place in my heart because I read them as a kid and loved them and my dad would always call me Amelia Bedelia but I think I should keep the memory of it in the past and not read any more.
Kathy
Mrs Rogers sends Amelia Bedelia to Mrs. Lane's to babysit a little baby. Amelia doesn't understand the directions. Doesn't know why the baby would want a bottle, gives the baby strawberry tarts, baby potatoes, baby hamburgers, baby tomatoes, ketchup, and the baby gets it all over. Mrs Lane would be mad when she comes home, but her baby likes Amelia and her food a lot.
Justice Strong
Oct 11, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall I enjoyed reading this book. The illustrations were not dramatic, but they were effective. I felt the flow of the story made the book an easy read. I would use this book for group reading or individual practice. I liked the author's way of problem solving throughout the story. I would add this book to my classroom library.
Julie Decker
What happens when Amelia Bedelia, the lady who takes everything literally, is asked to give the baby a bottle? Nothing good, that's right. Amelia misinterprets all her instructions, as per usual, and seems to get through her babysitting duty without accidentally murdering any children. At least she never misinterprets anything that causes her to do something awful.
Theresa
Amelia Bedelia and the Baby
by Peggy Parish
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Erin Kelley
Apr 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia will never get old. Her humor and imagination are the greatest. I love being able to read this to my nephews because they just laugh. She has never baby sat before and takes everything literally. This is a series of books that you can do a read aloud with students after lunch. She just lightens the mood and can make you happy for the rest of the day.
Samantha Penrose
Not nearly as wacky as I thought it might be...she didn't even sit on a baby!
I remember really enjoying Amelia Bedelia's wacky antics as a youngster...perhaps I am just too old for this series..I will give her a few more chances to wow me.
Amanda Pegg
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can you imagine Amelia Bedeilia baby-sitting? (No ,she does NOT sit on the baby!) Well,Amelia Bedeilia doesn't know a thing about baby's. But the literal-minded maid is about to learn when she goes to baby-sit for little Missy Lane.
Rozlen Jeter
an internal conflict is when Amelia had no clue of how to babysit a baby for Ms. Lane. so Amelia the maid keeps switching and mixes things up creating a big mess.But heals her heart from her youngest fan. That was a mixture of internal and External. Book Book #10
Kelsey
Oct 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is another Amelia Bedelia book and with her, it’s always an adventure. Amelia is taking care of Mrs. Lane’s baby and of course she gets everything confused because she takes everything literally.
Jo Miller
Amelia is a housemaid and is asked to babysit. She does not know how to babysit and is left a list to follow. Amelia takes the list very seriously and does everything in the order that it is written when it does not make sense to her.
  • Bravo, Amelia Bedelia!
  • I Spy: A Book of Picture Riddles
  • The Berenstain Bears and Too Much Teasing
  • Henry and Mudge and the Happy Cat (Henry and Mudge, #8)
  • Father Bear Comes Home (I Can Read Level 1)
  • Fat Cat Sat on the Mat (I Can Read Level 1)
  • The Magic School Bus Fights Germs
  • Going to the Sea Park
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower
  • Come Back, Amelia Bedelia
  • Play Ball, Amelia Bedelia
  • Good Work Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Level 2)
  • Teach Us, Amelia Bedelia