Start by marking “Overcoming Depression” as Want to Read:
Overcoming Depression

Overcoming Depression

(Overcoming)

A Books on Prescription Title

Break free from the hell of depression

If you suffer from depression you are far from alone. Depression is very common, affecting over 300 million people around the world. Written by Professor Paul Gilbert, internationally recognised for his work on depression, this highly acclaimed self-help book has been of benefit to thousands of peop

Published (first published January 30th 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Overcoming Depression, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Overcoming Depression

Start your review of Overcoming Depression
Nimue Brown
Aug 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a really valuable book and I think it would help if everyone read, regardless of whether they think they are depressed or not. It’s based on Cognitive Behavioural approachsd to managing depression. The logic goes like this, thoughts, feelings and behaviour are all connected. Change one, and others will change. Therefore by getting control of your thoughts you feel differently, and by changing behaviour you can get more control of thoughts and as you feel differently so thoughts and behav ...more
Soyeun
Jan 14, 2012 rated it it was ok
I suppose it's impossible to rate a book on depression--either you are depressed and nothing is ever good enough or you are not depressed and it's difficult to focus on a topic that's not useful. Ha ha.

The first part of the book had compelling explanations for the phenomenon. The practical parts of the book was thorough but that made it repetitive in places. In some ways, it is a very basic book, which can be a positive trait for when life seems extra complicated.
Kiwi Begs2Differ  ✎
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great introduction to CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy) and its uses in the treatment of depression, providing valuable insights and concrete helpful advice.
There is a degree of repetition (e.g. many references all-or-nothing thinking) but I guess this is unavoidable in a self-help book, where the same techniques and strategies are applied to different scenarios. I found the later chapters on shame, guilt, anger and forgiveness are both well developed and compelling.

The problem here is that
Simon
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Reading this became a real monkey on my back, I've been plugging away at it for pretty much a year. And I think in honesty any real therapeutic value got diluted by it, however finishing it is a major achievement for me because it clears my mind with regards starting reading a new book on the subject that might be more helpful.

And in fairness some of it was very helpful, it helped me sort out a lot of the self-bullying language that depression uses, likewise the all-or-nothing thinking, and othe
Fozzy Foster
May 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This book is a must read for anyone and everyone.

Firstly I would like to say that this review is predicated on the assumption that self-help books are best reviewed in comparison to other self-help books. On that note, this is a no-nonsense, evidence-based introduction to cognitive behavioral therapy techniques and how they relate to common themes and issues in clinical depression. Unfortunately the vast majority of self-help books are short, careerist essays on "Positivity," and despite some g
Jurgen Dhaese
An absolutely brilliant book. It's massive, it's huge, it's repetitive at times. But it's oh so worth it.

If you're dealing with depressive or negative thoughts - read it.

This book explains what depression is, what function it serves and gives you cognitive behavioral therapy exercises to learn how to deal with it better, and ultimately, overcome it.

I'll be practicing these exercises daily for years to come.

Summary of book (taken from final chapter):

Depression is probably one of the darkest winte
Dave Flodine
May 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Depression is insidious. I only clued into being affected by it again close to a month ago. I thought through a lot of work, I had put that behind me, but based on some huge life events, it obviously creeped its way back in and snuck up on me without my even knowing it.

Once I realised what was happening, I looked for some new techniques to dealing with depression and found this book.

I think it's a highly worthwhile read to anyone who is suffering or has suffered from depression. For those of you
Jon Champion
Feb 05, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was a nice opportunity to understand the principles of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy as well as understanding that kindness and compassion are the keys to many of life's locked doors.
Hannah
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mental-health
I have come back to this book book many time in last yeah and a half. For me it's been massively helpful. I prefer my mental health books to be more instructional and explanatory. Whilst some terms maybe less well known and you may have to research some of the lingo. It's a really good accompaniment to talk therapy and CBT.
Ariel Littlemermaid
Very practical book and easy to read. Even though I had no depression at the time of reading it, I enjoyed the book and I learnt a lot from its pages (e.g. possible reasons for onset of depression, many different types of depression, etc.)!
Samantha Norman
Oct 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enormously helpful and comforting

I thoroughly recommend this book to anyone suffering from depression. the helpful,compassionate and sensible advice is a huge comfort. It certainly helped me
Ty-Orion
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: psychology
Депресиращо ръководство как да се отървем от депресията от раздела на когнитивно-поведенческите терапии. Излишни бяха залитанията в еволюционната психология и намеците, че депресираните хора са като бета-маймуни, тормозени от алфа-маймуните... Поставя и добри въпроси, затова 3 звезди.
Hadley Biggs
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has very great advice that I think literally anyone could read and rely on.
E.T.
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
4/10
emma wk
Sep 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
another book i picked up from a psychoeducational group. helped put a lot of things into perspective.
Bo Yu
May 06, 2019 rated it liked it
This book provides practical guide for patients in depression. The organization of the book is logically done. Choices of words are not intimidating. The advice offered drawn from the author's practices with the patients and himself is very helpful. Overall, this book is well written.
The book focuses on the author's approach to depression treatment by cognitive therapy. There are other therapies available including those based on psychoanalysis and mindfulness practice. Cognitive therapy from my
Phil
Feb 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An incredibly valuable book that made a huge impact with my recovery over the past year. It's very easy to read and is written in a way that's friendly and understanding. The book does an amazing job with explaining depression and describing the importance of understanding it. This was useful to remove the self-blame, shame and frustrations that usually accompanies depression. I approached this book as if I was getting the most important lessons in my life and I've walked away with a lot of life ...more
Marjorie
Combines cognitive therapy with Buddhist-flavored ideas of mindfulness and compassion. Almost 600 pages and packed with exercises. Haven't read it cover to cover, but read the beginning material and dip into the rest from time to time. Friendly writing style with a touch of British humor. Author is a psychologist and professor who received the OBE (Order of the British Empire) in January 2011 for his work.

Anser
May 19, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The book is not helpful at all. The information provided is not helpful to me.
Also, I think after reading this book, that I am not depressed. Thank God. I hope I stay this way.
After reading almost 18 chapters, still nothing helped, so I just stopped there.
I thought this book would help me, or maybe I would notice I am depressed.
Mohammed Ahsa
Mar 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
actually its somehow difficult to rate a book abt subjects like depression n i gave it 4 cuz of the first part which was amazing by makin me understand it v well ..
n as it was mentioned there, If you suffer from depression, you are, sadly, far from being alone. In fact, it has been estimated that there may be over 350 million people in the world today who have it.
Lena
Jul 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: psychology
Ένας καλογραμμένος οδηγός αυτοβοήθειας για όσους πάσχουν από κατάθλιψη, που φωτίζει το θέμα της ψυχικής διαταραχής από ιατρική-βιολογική- κοινωνική πλευρά, ενώ προτείνει λύσεις που μπορούν να εφαρμοστούν από τον ίδιο τον ασθενή, χρησιμοποιώντας γνωσιακές-συμπεριφοριστικές τεχνικές. Πολύ χρήσιμο, έχει την έγκριση του Ινστιτούτου Έρευνας και Θεραπείας της Συμπεριφοράς.
Christine Jolley
Sep 12, 2009 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
As someone who has suffered from serious depression their entire lives I find it interesting how much cognitive behavioral techniques are pushed down our throats. If it was that easy to change our thinking, we would do it ourselves and wouldn't need a book to try to get advice on how to do it.
Mostafa Hussein
Dec 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
currently reading, this mindfullnes way looks tempting
Jackie
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Aya
This was a very good book and i need to read it.
Joanne
Apr 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Very comprehensive! I'd say it's rather same-y as a lot of other self help books I've read.
Elaine
Apr 15, 2020

• The Lineup
  • The Book of Mormon: Another Testament of Jesus Christ
  • A Therapeutic Treasure Deck of Sentence Completion and Feelings Cards
  • The Dugout
  • An Orc on the Wild Side
  • Devil's Day
  • Asterix and the Great Crossing (Asterix, #22)
  • Ten Thousand Light-Years from Home
  • The Adventures of Sam Spade and Other Stories
  • Sunset Park
  • Instructions for a Heatwave
  • Asterix and the Actress (Astérix, #31)
  • Poor Economics: A Radical Rethinking of the Way to Fight Global Poverty
  • Infinity: Betrayal
  • Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions
  • The Yoga Sutras
  • Depression Smackdown: Reality-Check Fixed What Medication, Therapy, and Love Failed
  • The Body Never Lies: The Lingering Effects of Hurtful Parenting

Overcoming (7 books)
  • Overcoming Anger And Irritability (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Low Self-Esteem (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Worry (Overcoming)
  • Overcoming Anxiety: A Self-Help Guide Using Cognitive Behavioral Techniques