Start by marking “A Letter for Daria” as Want to Read:
A Letter for Daria

A Letter for Daria

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  106 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
The Olympic gold medal-winning skater talks about her daughter Daria, with reflections on her own mother and grandmother, and advice for Daria.
Published May 1st 1998 by Little Brown and Company (first published January 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about A Letter for Daria, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Letter for Daria

Cindi
Oct 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Of course this book means a lot to me 1 - I am a huge fan of Ekaterina Gordeeva and I love the details she shares about her life with and for her daughter and 2 - I named my daughter after hers - 'Daria' :)
Surreysmum
Jun 24, 2010 rated it it was ok
Interesting - I'm not really sure exactly who the target audience for this book is. Adolescent females in Gordeeva's fan base? Children? Mothers with children? In any case, it is not nearly as saccharine and oversold as it could be, despite the plethora of cute pictures of Katia and Daria. This is chiefly due to Gordeeva's straightforward, no-nonsense personality. Her observations on the kind of upbringing she had, and the changes she has made for her own daughter are interesting, and there is e ...more
Kathryn D
Mar 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone ages 8 +, especially mothers & daughters together
Recommended to Kathryn by: No one
Shelves: kathryn-s-corner
Still sitting on my desk patiently waiting for me to pick it up again :)

My mother and I both read this book towards the end of last year and we loved it! I had already read "My Sergei" at that time and enjoyed that book much more because it goes into greater depth of the love story G&G shared.

This is a perfect selection of stories Katya has shared with Dasha and a great way for a mother to send her daughter off into the world :)

Filled with keepsakes, wishes, and dreams for her daughter, Katy
Dolly
Dec 09, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ekaterina Gordeeva fans
This is a nice story, almost like a long letter written to Katya's daughter Daria (or Dasha, her Russian nickname). It has joy, sadness, wisdom and some humor as well. Our girls thought this book was just okay, but they liked the pictures. I thought it was a nice way to convey some of my sentiments to them through reading the book. We only read a couple of pages at a time so it wasn't too boring for them.
Lennie
Aug 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Ekaterina dedicated this book to her daughter, Daria. In it, she expresses all the hope that she has for her child and stresses the importance of family, giving an example of her own grandmother who supported and inspired Ekaterina while she was growing up. I think this book is a beautiful way to express the love a mother has for her daughter.
Heidi-Marie
Feb 23, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, i-own
A going-away present from my friends, including the one who first introduced me to figure skating and thus my favorite pairs team. This is Ekaterina writing to her then-young daughter Daria about her father Sergei.
Loretta
Feb 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Sweet gift to her daughter & memorial to her late husband.
Mary Elizabeth Morton
Sweet & sentimental. What a great way for Ekaterina to help her young daughter Daria remember her Daddy & her heritage.
Jamie
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Had this laying around & didn't even realize it was a kid's book till I started reading it. Haha. Very cute book though.
Pis4Piglet
Aug 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very heartwarming story of an awesome figure skating family.
George
Courtni Kopietz
Jan 18, 2016
Amber
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was ok
My mom gave me this book to read it was very cute. Fast read. The book is only 80 some pages.

Stephanie Alexandre
Apr 14, 2013
Feb 14, 2011
Mellanie C
Jun 15, 2017 marked it as to-read
I registered a book at BookCrossing.com!
Kristen
rated it it was ok
Aug 12, 2007
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ekaterina "Katia" Alexandrovna Gordeeva is a Russian (Former Soviet) figure skater. Together with her partner and husband, the late Sergei Grinkov, she was the 1988 and 1994 Olympic Chapion and four-time World Champion in Pairs Skating. After Grinkov's death, Gordeeva continued performing as a singles skater.

More about Ekaterina Gordeeva...