Start by marking “Defiant” as Want to Read:

Defiant

Epic road romance by USA Today bestselling author Kris Kennedy featuring a brooding knight with a shattered heart & the beautiful waif who thwarts him, charms himand believes hes worth saving.

National Readers' Choice Award, Best Historical Romance of the Year
Starred Review, Publishers Weekly

Jamie Lost is King John's most renowned commander, an audacious knight
Published May 25th 2016 by Kris Kennedy (first published April 26th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Defiant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Defiant

Start your review of Defiant
Stevie
Solid 4.5 stars here. This was excellent. Kris Kennedy has a wonderful and unique writing style. She creates wonderful characters with intelligence and charm, and a well thought out storyline. A hero that is as rough and rugged as they come, but canny and sophisticated and absolutely to die for. A heroine that is intelligent, strong but feminine, capable and resourceful. She rescues as much as she gets rescued, and its done realistically. There is no way you cannot visualize every characteristic ...more
Maya
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Despite loathing nekkid manchest covers, picked this up on basis of good buzz and having just reviewed the relevant history fact nuggets of the time period for my boy's school assignments and wanting to hear about it in a more entertaining way. The author delivered.

Really enjoyed the writing style, the heroine's refusal to be intimidated or acquiesce to instructions delivered by patronizing and/or protective men if she didn't agree with them, her total disregard for all things fashionable, and
Lynn Spencer
Jun 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars I'd been craving a good medieval romance, and this delivered in spades. This book is set during the reign of King John, just on the eve of Magna Carta. The author does a great job of showing readers how unsettled that time was without once engaging in a history lecture. Instead she paints a rich tapestry of nobles at odds, spies and intrigue, desperate folk caught in the middle as pawns in the dispute between king and people and of course, the wicked King John himself. It's compelling ...more
Erica Anderson
May 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Defiant is going straight onto my keeper shelf. It's that good. I can't say enough wonderful things about it. The dialogue is fantastic, the characters are well-developed, and the pace just doesn't let up. I whipped through the book in a day, and know that I'll probably read it again in a couple of weeks. As far as I'm concerned, Kris Kennedy is medieval romance these days.

Okay, enough with the gushing accolades--the heroine is what makes the book. She reminds me very much of Annique, the
Janga
Apr 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Kris Kennedy has written another exceptional Medieval romance. Defiant has the same strengths that made Kennedys first two books stellar examples of the sub-genre: a richly storied, historically accurate background; compellingly developed characters, primary and secondary; great chemistry between the hero and heroine; and superb prose. While I found Defiant less emotionally engaging than The Irish Warrior, which is tied with Teresa Medeiross Charming the Prince (a very different book) as my ...more
Kanya
Feb 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved it! Totally fell for Eva and Jamie's story. Their attraction is sizzeling and the action is fast paced.

Some readers didn't like the language, but it was not my case.

And the French is almost faultless (the only typo I saw is "Jésu" : we pronounce it "Jésu", but we write it "Jésus" - maybe it's the old French spelling? I'm not sure).

I would recommend this book to anyone who loves feisty heroines and medieval romance.
Ann L
Jun 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
England May 1215

Jamie is hoping to catch his quarry, a priest, Eva is hoping to do the same, both for different reasons or are they.

This is a magnificent story in the time of King John, the rebellion and Magna Carta. We follow Jamie and Eva on a rollercoaster of intrigue, betrayal and trust, where no one is who we think they are, I was hooked until the very last page and it is one I will keep and read over again.
Stephanie  G
Eva is forced back to England to chase after Father Peter, who was summoned by King Johns orders. With her comes the boy Roger who she has played mother to since they fled his home years ago. Eva knows that Father Peter is riding to his death. The King sends Jamie to find Father Peter, and bring him in. Instead of finding the Father, Jamie finds Eva.

This is a straight up historical romance. Even the narrative is stylized for a medieval setting. As much as I sometimes enjoy the flowery words,
Angelc
Feb 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This was one of those historicals that's best read by those who want a lot of intrigue, mystery, and action, with a little romance on the side. For me, I wanted to see more development of the relationship between the two leads instead of so much action and intrigue.

Jame was a bit rough and gruff for my liking. Alpha male fans are sure to love him as a hero. His treatment of Eva was a bit rough for me at times. His kidnapping and overpowering of Eva grew tiresome after awhile.

The mystery was all
Isha Coleman
Kris Kennedy is very good at writing complicated characters. Her stories are like stepping through a field of land mines and red herrings. Hidden in plain sight are the clues to unlocking the mystery, you just have to figure out where to look. The thrill of solving the puzzle is the attraction of her brand of storytelling. As I get better acquainted with this author I find there is no way of knowing where she will lead you on the quest for the truth and I have always been a sucker for puzzles ...more
Diana
May 11, 2011 rated it liked it
While I am vastly entertained by Kennedy's artful prose and her character's dry wit amidst dire goings-on, I grew impatient with Jamie and Eva's lack of direction in their mutual quest. The reader (and every single secondary character) knows early on what Eva and Jamie must do, but their inexplicable stubborn refusal to Do The Right Thing results in the tale stalling out while they find creative excuses for not getting on with it. Still, Kennedy's writing is stellar and even though I was a tad ...more
Lori D
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story is the first comment that comes to mind. This is the first book I have read by Kris Kennedy but will definitely not be the last. This is a story of two souls who have had hardships in their lives and do not trust easily. Jamie, a knight under the King's command is ordered to kidnap and bring a certain priest back to the King. Little does he know he will run into Eva who intends to find Father Peter and take him back home with her to France. Father Peter has his secrets and does ...more
Barbee
May 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Celtic Barbs Kilted Tartan Book Review Blog says:
Eva is determined to save her friend
Jamie is determined to to capture her friend

Eva is a liar to protect
Jamie is a liar to get what he wants

England, 1214

Jamie Lost, a favorite Knight under a King's command is ordered by his King to kidnap a Cúre and bring him to his King. Jamie has never failed an order or mission ordered by his King even knowing the results could be lethal for those he catches. A missing Priest who had been on self imposed exile
Susan
Oct 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is my first time reading a book by Kris Kennedy! A fabulous thrift store find! I love action and adventure, a feisty heroine, a hero who is rough and tough, a mercenary type. I really need to read this again all in one sitting without the noises of life around me (TV, dogs, husband) I need to focus on the details because I am pretty sure I missed things. Kennedy has I unique style of writing I like, but is hard to just breeze through. Very descriptive. In the beginning I was a little ...more
Em Wittmann
Jan 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For those keeping track of my current Kennedy binge-fest: Defiant is better than King's Warrior. (Rankings below). The cover is completely butt.

This time out the story is slightly more complicated; the principal pair are initially cast as adversaries and don't have crazy sex five minutes after they meet - even though it's immediately apparent they're destined for each other (like LEGIT destined); and the big reveals are well placed within the latter half of the novel. The pacing is good &
Colleen Perry
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very good book

5 stars because I liked book very much. The book drew me in immediately. I was in suspense what was happening and where was it going to go. It was full of adventure, suspense, intrigue, romance, with steamy love scenes in about third of story. Both H and h were strong and very intelligent, but were a little broken at start. I felt a little like on a roller coaster ride. I didnt know who could good and bad, until very end. There so many secrets to figure out till very end. It was
Pamela
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Defiant

Your books are so amazing I could hardly put the book down read it in two an half days. This was so exciting and full of drama,mystery,and lots of love.You are a great writer.
Seantheaussie
Sep 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, dual-pov
Many similarities to my favourite book, The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne. The heroines of both, Eva and Annique are a good match and speak and think in the same cadence in my mind.
Patricia
Feb 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great love story, wound in between treachery, secrets, and a mission that will make or break a king. Lots of excellent twists and turns.
Erin
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok

Kris Kennedy is not only a new author for me but her book Defiant is set in a historical time frame in which I read very little (early 13th century) as my historical preference is Regency to Victorian. Usually when I read books set further back they are time travel or other type of paranormal romances. I received the book as part of the National Reader's Choice Awards.

The heroine of the story, Eva is a strong, feisty woman who has spent the last ten years of her life struggling to stay alive and
Helena
May 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This medieval novel set in 1215 just prior to the Magna Carta, is packed with the treacherous politics, divided loyalties, rogue knights, renegades and mercenaries driven by perilous secrets and redemption that keep us glued to each page. With a plot centering around a country seething in preparation for civil war and the lives of the four people who may have the ability to alter its course, Kennedy grabs our hands as we jump right in.
Kennedy has an incredible ability we revere in writers such
Jen Davis
Apr 20, 2011 rated it liked it
Jamie and Eva are both on the hunt for Father Peter. The priest has been kidnapped by a man commissioned by rebels to relieve King Henry of the throne. Jamie is one of the king's men and is trying to get to the priest to bring him to Henry. Eva wants to rescue Father Peter, because he helped raise her and she believes she owes him her life.

Even though they want him for their own reasons, Jamie and Eva end up working together to find the priest. Jamie has a dark reputation as a powerful soldier,
April
Apr 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adventure
DEFIANT by Kris Kennedy is one of those WOW, Medieval Historical Romance stories! Please note: "This is a re-release. It has been reedited and revised. Originally published 2011 by Simon & Schuster/Gallery Books."

I absolutely loved this story! Ms. Kennedy writes masterfully and brilliantly stories, that keeps the reader enticed, entranced, and glued to the story. "Defiant" was no different! Simply outstanding! !

Jamie Lost, is King John's man, his commander, a rebel and a troublemaker with a
Maria
Jun 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I reviewed Defiant for Night Owl Reviews:

Defiant by Kris Kennedy is a spellbinding historical romance set against the backdrop of King John and the Magna Carta. With wonderful characters and sharp, engaging dialogue, Ms. Kennedy brings the 13th century alive with a tale full of adventure and romance. With shifting alliances and political scheming, what begins with a mystery becomes a story full of suspense and surprises. I found it to be a completely captivating story.

Jamie Lost is a wonderful
Maria Dariotis
May 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC in exchange for my honest review.

This was such a great story, I loved Jaimie he's such a brooding broken man, I mean it's not everyday that you see your father murdered in front of you! He was an empty shell until he met Eva . Eva is the nurse ( with a secret) to young Roger, they fled England 10 years ago after the Kings men murdered Rogers father while they were hiding in a secret passage in the wall. On the run, always hiding they have had an accomplice in Father Peter , he
Yv
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
I tend toward Victorian romance more than anything and my brief forays with medieval romance have generally left me with a bad taste in my mouth so I was pleasantly surprised with Defiant. Our heroine is plucky and confident despite her knowledge of her weaknesses. She's easy to like and root for and most of all, doesn't swoon and whine, which is something I've noticed as a trend in Medieival romantic heroines.

Our hero could easily fall into the douchy asshat category but doesn't, I think
Melissa
Aug 22, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have to admit, it took me a bit to get into the story because of the language, but that quickly passed once I started to get to know Eva a bit better. She is a strong heroine who is fiercely protective of a boy put in her charge, Roger. He is a teen now and they are in search of their benefactor who helped save them. Lots of politics and intrigue and truths to be discovered. Not just with Eva, but with the rough roguish hero, Jamie as well.

I have to say that although I enjoyed the adventure
Jan Blooth
Mar 01, 2012 rated it did not like it
I usually just give a book stars, but... What a mess! It's been a long time since I've read a book that was so confusing. I had to keep rereading to try to figure out what was happening and who and what was where, what the heck the author was trying to say! I got the feeling she would sacrifice the story and the history in the name of a sexy line, which was annoying, and matters only got worse. It was filled with slow, ponderous language, unreadable garbage sentences that might have been failed ...more
Leah
Sep 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I've read by Kris Kennedy and I just fell in love with her writing style. Jaimie and Eva are both hiding who they really are to the world and to each other. Their story is one filled with secrets and hidden agendas that will sweep you along on an adventure as they make life decisions neither ever expected to make. It's the year 1215 and the Magna Carta is being formed. King John is suspicious of all and he has sent Jaimie on a mission to find a priest whom he feels can ...more
Bird
May 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I liked it, although I found the plot a little convoluted. I don't know much about the time period, so all of the references to people, places, and things was pretty much lost on me. I don't think I fully understood the political conflict and who was on what side, but in my defense I was in the middle of moving out of state, so I was pretty tired when I read this before bed every night.

I agree with some other reviewers who said that the dialogue felt awkward and stilted at times. I eventually

• Black Richard's Heart
  • Sinful Scot (Highlanders Through Time, #1)
  • A Spinster at the Highland Court (The Highland Ladies Book One)
  • An Inconvenient Duke (Lords of the Armory, #1)
  • Highland Steel (The Highland Chronicles, #3)
  • Lady Hannah's Holiday (Spirited Storms #5) (The Spirited Storms)
  • A Duke is Never Enough (The Spitfire Society #2)
  • Callum's Vow (The Victorian Highlanders, #1)
  • The Princess Spy (Sons of Cardenas, #2)
  • In Bed with the Earl (Lost Lords of London, #1)
  • Callum (Regency Rockstars, #3)
  • Still Rattled (The Baxter Boys #2)
  • Rattle His Cage (The Baxter Boys #4)
  • Taken (Deep Ops, #1.5)
  • His Christmas Match
  • A Wallflower at the Highland Court: A Slow Burn Highlander Romance (The Highland Ladies, #2)
  • Triana's Spring Seduction (Season of the Spinster, #1)
  • Duchess of His Heart (Seductive Scoundrels #6)
USA Today bestselling historical romance author writing super sexy, big adventure romances set in the ages when big bad knights in armor and questionable chivalry reigned supreme.

The heroes are hard, the heroines strong, and the passion burns.

I also write sweet & dirty fun romantic comedies as Bella Love!

Open to conversations here on Goodreads