Start by marking “Bringing Out the Best in People” as Want to Read:
Bringing Out the Best in People

Bringing Out the Best in People

The classic bestseller on performance management is updated to reflect changes in today's working environment. When an employer needs to know how to gain maximum performance from employees, renowned behavioral psychologist--Aubrey Daniels is the man to consult. What has made Daniels the man with the answers? His ability to apply scientifically based behavioral stimuli to t ...more
Published January 11th 2000 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published November 22nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Out the Best in People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Out the Best in People

Start your review of Bringing Out the Best in People
Kaitlynn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: managers, teachers, supervising BCBAs
Holy cow, this was a short book! There's no doubt that Aubrey Daniels is an accomplished and knowledgeable expert in behavior analysis/OBM. This book also demonstrates what a fine science communicator he is.

There are a few nit-picky places I disagree with, specifically stating that NCR can induce psychoses and stress, and that the 'Nintendo generation' are somehow altered from everyone else. For the first, it seems like his reasoning is more about indiscriminable contingencies than noncontingen
Tricia
Mar 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book on applying ABA to business structures. I particularly enjoyed Daniel's description of reinforcement and PIC/NIC - positive, negative/ immediate, delayed/ certain, uncertain. Definitely want to bring that forward for teachers to contemplate as they build the habit of providing feedback to their students!
Lukasz Nalepa
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-work
This book gave me a headache. On one hand I still feel dissatisfied with the scientific approach to managing people presented mostly in the first half of the book, and on the other hand it seems that I agree with with a lot of conclusions suggestions presented in the second Half.

After reading about 1/3 of the book I was so repulsed that I immediately posted a review with one star. To be fair though I had to add another star after a while, and now it is a third time I do so. Lessons learned for
Sheila
Jul 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Always good to read again! It’s been a few years...needed this.
Brent Dunn
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A lot of this seemed like common sense - of course you should reward people for doing well, everyone knows that, right? This book goes a little deeper, though, talking about how rewards motivate (or don't motivate) people. Some of his ideas go against a lot of what is commonly practiced in business. I've been trying out some of the principles in this book, and it has helped my team acheive success while greatly improving morale.
Barbro Kinnunen
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book that gives you not just the words and thinking, but techniques and methods to apply in day to day life. About how you mirror things that happens around you and make you see your own impact on how others act and react. To work with the full scale from reinforcement to punishment and see the instant effects is so rewarding! Though you have to remember that it's all about a change in you.
Martha Gabler
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent discussion of the many ways that positive reinforcement has been used in business settings to increase performance and create superior management teams. Most management change is based on giving instructions to "change," and does not include structured plans for providing the positive reinforcement necessary to create and sustain new behaviors.
Malaga
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
good people management type of book.
Lenny
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: managers
Must read for any manager, new or old
Firas Alnaimi
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very revealing book about motivating yourself and others.
Earl Grey Tea
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, business
The Big Takeaway: Immediate certain positive feedback will reinforce the behaviors that a manager wants from their employees. Forget to encourage the desired activities and they will start to disappear. Employee of the Month is not a good motivator.

The author of this books does a good job of laying out the big picture of what techniques you can use to reinforce the behaviors you want to see from your employees. In the big picture it comes down to the following three factors in a manager's feedba
Noritaka Hara
Nov 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
At work, many people and companies do not know how to manage their people at work. They follow their instincts or at best traditional wisdom in a non-systematic way. How can we motivate your colleagues without financial awards? How can we improve their productivity without screaming or micromanaging? This book provides you with scientifically-proven measures (behaviour science) to bring out the best in people even under a constrained environment where you are currently working (inflexible organi ...more
Stephen Reed
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who likes to take a scientific and analytical approach to everything that I do, Aubrey's way of breaking down behavioral management really resonated with me. Some of the book seems so simple and obviously, but it's actually not commonly applied in the workplace. Which is why this book(and others like it) are necessary for anyone managing people to read.

Even though it's nice to get some of the concepts hammered in, I will agree with other readers and say that it was slightly drawn out.
Jyotsna Batra
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Building a performance culture is never easy, be it in your team or your family (or just for yourself). This book explains on all 4 forms of reinforcement (positive, negative, punishment and extinction) and provides practical ways of using it. I absolutely loved the deep understanding of reinforcement which this book offered. It has never been clearer in my mind. And after gaining this understanding, you realize how these reinforcements have shaped you in your own life and start seeing it all ar ...more
Kayla Comerford
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Layperson friendly explanation of impacts of positive and negative reinforcement, and antecedent interventions applicable contextually within organizational settings; likely a very useful read for folks who don't have a lot of experience in applied behavior analysis. I got annoyed when reinforcing a "person" was mentioned, but I understand the rationale behind it. Definitely a worthwhile read for folks who work with others, or have responsibility to manage others professionally. The basic princi ...more
Lee Tyner
Over Baked

I am a fan of Aubrey’s Oops! book and decided to read this. Although it definitely has good information it’s about 30% too long with unnecessary chapters and mightily redundant at times. Last, as a proofing note he should replace the overuse of “Because” with “Since” when opening a sentence or other declarative that isn’t answering a question.
Alexis
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Management Book

This is my favorite management book I have read. It encompasses other books with science to give the context of why certain things work. Using the techniques in this book are not necessarily easy but they are effective. I love the methodology and know it can work! Transformational.
Robert Crow
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fundamentally important book for learning about using positive practices, based on behavioral science, to improve learning and doing; particularly in work settings. A must read - and apply the lessons from it - for leaders in all settings.
Valeria
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read and a great introduction to Performance Management and Organizational Behavior Management. Dr Daniels peppers the book with action items and real-life examples of the use of the science of behavior to enhance performance and quality of life in the workplace.
Mike
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is still a classic. It reminded me of my desire to get back to the basics of performance management.
Kimball
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I will update my review and shelves later.*
Debra
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Good!

Really good and well written. Many managers need to read and take note from the information found in this book..
Annmarie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you supervise others.
Alex Gordon
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
good book for management. positive reinforcement is way underrated.. i think a lot of businesses get less from their help than they could because they haven't put any thought into it.
Jay Vino
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ohhh...mr. Daniels...Awesome book applying behavior analysis to the work place, agree with everything mentioned. However, we do not reinforce people, rather, we reinforce their behaviors!
Geralyn Gonos Robinson
May 18, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book for learning how to use Applied Behavior Analysis into the work world.
LuisJ
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology
Lots of good stuff in here for managing and leading.
Relatively little repetition compared with other books in the genre.
Hildo Maus
Sep 06, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely a bold book. It pinpoints several other books and methodologies by criticizing their cores values. It is definitely Incredible the power of positive reinforcement. I am implementing it not only business wise, but on my personal relationships too. People don’t do what we tell them to do, or they will do it barely to avoid complications, but never based on their true will. This is a breakthrough book
Mercedes Vaughn
Lots of really great info in here about leadership, management, and building/shaping organizations, if you aren't overly bothered by the sometimes salesman/preacher tone of the book.

He hypes his other books a little much (at one point showing an image of an incomprehensible performance matrix for grading employees without explanation other than to say he has written a whole book on the subject) and specifically denigrates the work of others too much for my tastes, but overall, I'm glad I read i
Yifan Gu
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice application of behavioral science into management and daily life.
LeanCor: Internal Competition 2 5 Jul 24, 2012 07:16AM

• Skill with People
  • 25 Essential Skills and Strategies for the Professional Behavior Analyst: Expert Tips for Maximizing Consulting Effectiveness
  • Welcome to Lily's Room (Lily Lemon Blossom)
  • Dragons and Marshmallows (Zoey and Sassafras, #1)
  • Understanding Applied Behavior Analysis, Second Edition: An Introduction to ABA for Parents, Teachers, and other Professionals
  • Handbook of Applied Behavior Analysis
  • Single-Case Research Designs: Methods for Clinical and Applied Settings
  • The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness, and Greed
  • Meat Eater: Adventures from the Life of an American Hunter
  • American Buffalo: In Search of a Lost Icon
  • Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself
  • Leadership is Language: How Small Changes in What You Say Can Make a Huge Difference to Your Team’s Results
  • You May Ask Yourself: An Introduction to Thinking Like a Sociologist
  • Draw Close to Jehovah
  • Marvel Free Previews (2016) #3
  • Leadershift: The 11 Essential Changes Every Leader Must Embrace
  • Managing Transitions: Making the Most of Change
  • Weather

News & Interviews

“If people don’t like you, practically nothing you do will be received well.” 1 likes
“People act the way they do because they have learned to act that way.” 0 likes