Start by marking “Bringing Out the Best in People” as Want to Read:
Bringing Out the Best in People

Bringing Out the Best in People

The classic bestseller on performance management is updated to reflect changes in today's working environment. When an employer needs to know how to gain maximum performance from employees, renowned behavioral psychologist--Aubrey Daniels is the man to consult. What has made Daniels the man with the answers? His ability to apply scientifically based behavioral stimuli to t ...more
Published January 11th 2000 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published November 22nd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Bringing Out the Best in People, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bringing Out the Best in People

Kaitlynn
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: managers, teachers, supervising BCBAs
Holy cow, this was a short book! There's no doubt that Aubrey Daniels is an accomplished and knowledgeable expert in behavior analysis/OBM. This book also demonstrates what a fine science communicator he is.

There are a few nit-picky places I disagree with, specifically stating that NCR can induce psychoses and stress, and that the 'Nintendo generation' are somehow altered from everyone else. For the first, it seems like his reasoning is more about indiscriminable contingencies than noncontingen
Lukasz Nalepa
Jul 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-work
This book gave me a headache. On one hand I still feel dissatisfied with the scientific approach to managing people presented mostly in the first half of the book, and on the other hand it seems that I agree with with a lot of conclusions suggestions presented in the second Half.

After reading about 1/3 of the book I was so repulsed that I immediately posted a review with one star. To be fair though I had to add another star after a while, and now it is a third time I do so. Lessons learned for
Brent Dunn
Aug 25, 2012 rated it liked it
A lot of this seemed like common sense - of course you should reward people for doing well, everyone knows that, right? This book goes a little deeper, though, talking about how rewards motivate (or don't motivate) people. Some of his ideas go against a lot of what is commonly practiced in business. I've been trying out some of the principles in this book, and it has helped my team acheive success while greatly improving morale.
Martha Gabler
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent discussion of the many ways that positive reinforcement has been used in business settings to increase performance and create superior management teams. Most management change is based on giving instructions to "change," and does not include structured plans for providing the positive reinforcement necessary to create and sustain new behaviors.
Barbro Kinnunen
Aug 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A book that gives you not just the words and thinking, but techniques and methods to apply in day to day life. About how you mirror things that happens around you and make you see your own impact on how others act and react. To work with the full scale from reinforcement to punishment and see the instant effects is so rewarding! Though you have to remember that it's all about a change in you.
Malaga
May 23, 2008 rated it liked it
good people management type of book.
Lenny
Oct 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: managers
Must read for any manager, new or old
Firas Alnaimi
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very revealing book about motivating yourself and others.
Earl Grey Tea
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: business, non-fiction
The Big Takeaway: Immediate certain positive feedback will reinforce the behaviors that a manager wants from their employees. Forget to encourage the desired activities and they will start to disappear. Employee of the Month is not a good motivator.

The author of this books does a good job of laying out the big picture of what techniques you can use to reinforce the behaviors you want to see from your employees. In the big picture it comes down to the following three factors in a manager's feedba
Stephen Reed
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
As someone who likes to take a scientific and analytical approach to everything that I do, Aubrey's way of breaking down behavioral management really resonated with me. Some of the book seems so simple and obviously, but it's actually not commonly applied in the workplace. Which is why this book(and others like it) are necessary for anyone managing people to read.

Even though it's nice to get some of the concepts hammered in, I will agree with other readers and say that it was slightly drawn out.
Jyotsna Batra
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Building a performance culture is never easy, be it in your team or your family (or just for yourself). This book explains on all 4 forms of reinforcement (positive, negative, punishment and extinction) and provides practical ways of using it. I absolutely loved the deep understanding of reinforcement which this book offered. It has never been clearer in my mind. And after gaining this understanding, you realize how these reinforcements have shaped you in your own life and start seeing it all ar ...more
Kayla Comerford
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Layperson friendly explanation of impacts of positive and negative reinforcement, and antecedent interventions applicable contextually within organizational settings; likely a very useful read for folks who don't have a lot of experience in applied behavior analysis. I got annoyed when reinforcing a "person" was mentioned, but I understand the rationale behind it. Definitely a worthwhile read for folks who work with others, or have responsibility to manage others professionally. The basic princi ...more
Lee Tyner
Over Baked

I am a fan of Aubrey’s Oops! book and decided to read this. Although it definitely has good information it’s about 30% too long with unnecessary chapters and mightily redundant at times. Last, as a proofing note he should replace the overuse of “Because” with “Since” when opening a sentence or other declarative that isn’t answering a question.
Robert Crow
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A fundamentally important book for learning about using positive practices, based on behavioral science, to improve learning and doing; particularly in work settings. A must read - and apply the lessons from it - for leaders in all settings.
Valeria
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very easy read and a great introduction to Performance Management and Organizational Behavior Management. Dr Daniels peppers the book with action items and real-life examples of the use of the science of behavior to enhance performance and quality of life in the workplace.
Annmarie
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A must read if you supervise others.
Alex Gordon
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
good book for management. positive reinforcement is way underrated.. i think a lot of businesses get less from their help than they could because they haven't put any thought into it.
Debra
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really Good!

Really good and well written. Many managers need to read and take note from the information found in this book..
Mike
Sep 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is still a classic. It reminded me of my desire to get back to the basics of performance management.
Amanda
May 10, 2017 rated it liked it
For ORGB625 for Drexel
Kimball
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
*I will update my review and shelves later.*
Mercedes Vaughn
Lots of really great info in here about leadership, management, and building/shaping organizations, if you aren't overly bothered by the sometimes salesman/preacher tone of the book.

He hypes his other books a little much (at one point showing an image of an incomprehensible performance matrix for grading employees without explanation other than to say he has written a whole book on the subject) and specifically denigrates the work of others too much for my tastes, but overall, I'm glad I read i
Yifan Gu
Sep 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice application of behavioral science into management and daily life.
Darren
Oct 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The workplace environment seems to never stand still and is always in a state of flux. This book, a revised and updated version of a previously well-received aid, seeks to address troubling issues and get the best out of employees through positive reinforcement.

There are so many areas that can be touched upon by positive reinforcement and some of the areas that might need the closest attention are those that sit higher up in the organizational chart… if only the message could get through! The au
Justin Pool
Jul 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic

By reading the book I learned many principles of ABA and behavioral psychology that can be applied in every situation. Is very helpful, even if you work with kids with autism. Or, whereever you are in life, and whatever you are doing, the principles are beneficial and helpful and can be applied.
Greg
Aug 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
For those who are involve in managing people, you will learn a great deal of insights in this book by Aubrey Daniels. He debunked several of the popular ideas on how we motivate our people and offer alternative solutions that works hopefully always work not just for few people but for all.

The book is written in a coaching style sometimes academic manner. The theories are well explained and the example stories are well delivered. The words used are easy to understand too.

I only wish that the book
Heather
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's been a long time since I've been tempted to buy a library book. Usually one read is enough for me. But this book was pretty dense - a lot to track and think about - and I can see it being the kind of thing I would want to refer to periodically as I tried out different approaches. So I may buy it yet..

My only critique - and Daniels makes it himself - is that for maximum impact, you need to have the ability to implement new approaches company-wide, especially as relates to recognition and rew
Suellen
Oct 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This is a very interesting style of leadership including the use of the PIC/NIC process, antecedents, behaviors and consequences. I will certainly take a lot away from this regarding setting the stage for the success of those around me. As a leader, we are responsible to giving those around us the tools to succeed. This means open communication and planning and, most importantly engaging and being observant to actual facts and scenarios.
Roy Van
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
It goes back to the essence of behaviorism. For someone with a background in psychology this is just another application of what I learned in school. Sometimes I hqve the feeling it is oversimplified for the sake of the argument, but that makes the book all the more practical. Nothing worse than business books that weaken their own thesis by adding side notes, exceptions to the rules, other theories that might work too,...
Eileen Anderson
Feb 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book was a pleasant surprise. I didn't really think a "pop" management book would present valid applications of learning theory, but it sure does! Aubrey Daniels knows his stuff.

I think this book is what cause me to really "get" negative reinforcement, more so than any of the animal training books I had read.

I love how he analyzes the things that people **think** are reinforcers--generally they are not.

I loved this book.
LeanCor: Internal Competition 2 5 Jul 24, 2012 07:16AM
  • How to Think Like a Behavior Analyst: Understanding the Science That Can Change Your Life
  • Homepage Usability: 50 Websites Deconstructed
  • The Science of Consequences: How They Affect Genes, Change the Brain, and Impact Our World
  • Applied Behavior Analysis for Teachers
  • Healing Words
  • What to Look for in a Classroom: ...and Other Essays
  • Behavioral Intervention for Young Children with Autism: A Manual for Parents and Professionals
  • The Synergist: How to Lead Your Team to Predictable Success
  • Freeing the Natural Voice
  • Toilet Training in Less Than a Day
  • Acceptance and Commitment Therapy: An Experiential Approach to Behavior Change
  • Lads Before the Wind: Diary of a Dolphin Trainer
  • Analyzing Performance Problems: Or, You Really Oughta Wanna--How to Figure out Why People Aren't Doing What They Should Be, and What to do About It
  • The Best Service Is No Service: How to Liberate Your Customers from Customer Service, Keep Them Happy, and Control Costs
  • Applied Behavior Analysis
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • Fearless Leadership: How To Overcome Behavioral Blind Spots And Transform Your Organization
  • The Portable MBA in Entrepreneurship
“If people don’t like you, practically nothing you do will be received well.” 0 likes
“People act the way they do because they have learned to act that way.” 0 likes