Start by marking “Nyx in the House of Night: Mythology, Folklore and Religion in the PC and Kristin Cast Vampyre Series” as Want to Read:

The House of Night is no ordinary school—and not just because it's for vampyres. It's a place where magic, religion, folklore, and mythology from multiple traditions merry meet and meld to create something incredible and new.

In Nyx in the House of Night—a 2-color illustrated companion to the House of Night series—some of your favorite YA authors, plus a few experts, help y
Published June 7th 2011 by Smart Pop

To ask other readers questions about Nyx in the House of Night, please sign up.
Andy Monahan I would suggest at least 15. The first novel contains a sex scene very early on and they become more frequent and vivid as the novels go on. 13 seems…moreI would suggest at least 15. The first novel contains a sex scene very early on and they become more frequent and vivid as the novels go on. 13 seems a bit young for that.(less)
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareForever by Maggie StiefvaterDead Reckoning by Charlaine HarrisSilence by Becca Fitzpatrick
Can't Wait Books For 2011
1,219 books — 6,855 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareDelirium by Lauren OliverSilence by Becca FitzpatrickThe Son of Neptune by Rick Riordan
Best Books of 2011
2,535 books — 7,166 voters

More lists with this book...

D'zyre Walker-smith
I thought all the books were awesome and thank P.C. and Kristen Cast for creating such a spectacular and addictive books but my favorites are Tempted, Untamed, Burned ,and Hunted. Thanks again to the wonderful authors of this series, it's better than the twilight series by Stephenie Meyer but not better than the vampire academy series by Richelle Mead
Starla Smith
Dec 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I love this book,it's not like Twilight like everyone says it is, it's way better than that. The last book is coming out in Janurary and I can't wait to read it.
Isi.Books
Jan 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love love love it :)
Destony Hornby
Oct 08, 2010 marked it as to-read
omg. i absolutely love this series. i am previously am reading the 6th book "Tempted" for the house of night series.
Dany
Don't be confused. This is not A House of night novel. This is an non fiction book about the goddes Nyx and another mithological stuff used in the series, write in essay way by a few authors (kristin cast included and edited by P. C.Cast).

If you are interested in the real base of the myths used in the series or history, and religion, and things that influence the autors, maybe this book is for you. If your not, please make you a favor and pass out, because it'll be boring for you.

Let me be clear
Brenna
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to win this book in the Goodreads First Read Giveaway. This book was not what I expected. While I enjoyed some of the pieces, others I found to be a bit boring and drag on. My favorite article was the one by Kristin Cast discussing Zoey having multiple love interests. I agree that there is oftentimes a double standard about what is acceptable behavior for a girl as opposed to a boy's behavior not only in books, but also in real life. Zoey is a teenager and hasn't decided what ...more
Sarah Crawford
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
This is a book to go along with the House of Night series and providing background information. Too often I have seen where such books are very shallow and are rather poorly done and totally uninteresting to someone who is not familiar with the series. This book, though, is not only well done but I think would interest someone who has not yet read the series and would probably encourage them to read it.

There is one whole chapter on the marks and what they mean (and how marks have been used throu
Richard Hayes
Jan 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a hard book to rate. If you are looking for stories from different authors using the characters, as I thought this book was when I first started it, then the reader will be disappointed. Instead this book, goes into the the history of the different characters, using history, myths, mythology and religion, to explain the different people, places animals and religions in the stories by people very knowledgeable in the different area, then the reader will find this book to be a very helpful ...more
Nisareen
Oct 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Nyx in the House of Night is companion book; it's a collection of essays about the Mythology, Folklore and Religion in the House of Night Series. The essays come from authors P.C. Cast, John Edgar Browning, Kristin Cast, Jordan Dane, Trinity Faegen, Yasmine Galenorn, Bryan Lankford, Karen Mahoney, Jana Oliver, Jeri Smith-Ready, Ellen Steiber, Amy H. Sturgis and Christine Zika.

The book focuses on questions of lore, myths and religions that define the House of Night universe. The subjects range fr
-RadioactiveBookworm-
Jul 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Err. Im not sure..
FINALLY. I'm done this book. Holy, man. It was so boring. I mean, Hey. I learned some things about the series, but I don't really think it was worth all of this.. this torture! First of all, I thought there were going to be more pictures. That's what I assumed when I read a portion of it off the house of night site.. but nope. Plus. Who wants to read a book of essays? Not me. I mean, it's cool if you do but just don't recommend them to me.. God. It's a good thing I don't put down books. I have t ...more
Lori
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: yes
I basically bought this book to add to the collection of the series I own. I actually have not read it and will not. Its a companions book to the series and if you want to understand the religion behind the house of night vampires then you need to read this.

I understand the series just fine. I scanned this book and it was good enough for me. so I have no real review but to say if you do not understand the religion as I said above then read this and you will understand the books a bit better.
Holly
Aug 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I always find it fun to read more about a world created in a book series. The essays in this collection are a great way to delve deeper into the House of Night series. Although I did have to skip a few of them because I haven't read the two most recent books in the series yet, so I definitely recommend being caught up if you really want to enjoy this book. I really liked Karen Mahoney's essay, "Night in the House of Good and Evil", it was a great start to the collection. Also, the original illus ...more
Ruth
Sep 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very eclectic set of essays from a variety of authors (reseachers to YA authors of paranormal titles) who have focused on various elements in the House of Night series. I loved learned about all of the various cultures' mythologies and religions that have been weaved into the creation of the House of Night rituals, names, and inhabitants. A must read for anyone who is a House of Night aficionado. The art work that prefaces each essay is also quite stunning.
Star
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Nyx in the House of Night: Mythology, Folklore and Religion in the PC and Kristin Cast Vampyre Series gives a new look into the creation of the House of Night. I really can't pick a favorite chapter - they were all very informative! From rituals to history, Tulsa to Scotland, and Cherokee legend to Greek myths, Nyx in the House of Night brings insight and knowledge into how the Casts bring the characters, settings, and magic to life.
Chloe Icsis
Mar 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I'm so glad I read this! This books lends a new light to the whole HON series for me! I love that P.C and Kristin did the research they did to being the series to life! Even fictionalized, the real stories beyond them wonderous! My interest is definitely peaked in some areas that I plan on exploring more of! Connecting the world around me with what I learned from this book leaves me curious to know more to connect more dots!
Noelle
Jun 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: favorites, own
It wasn't what I thought in a good way. I liked learning the names, history, and facts from the celtic lore and types of vampires. I expected something different. I don't know what but just something else. I love the series and this book made a little more sense for me. And gave more more factual information into the discription and cultures within the series. Can't wait till the next book comes around.
Siry
Nov 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Este libro es bastante interesante porque se explican varias cosas de la serie la casa de la noche, desde el punto de vista de varias personas.. tambien dice como las autoras llegaron a inspirarse para escribir..y como hacen sus investigaciones y cambian ciertas tradiciones para adaptarlas todas a esta maravillosa serie.. tarde demasiado leyendo el libro por falta de tiempo :p.. y no porque fuera no fuera interesante..
Cyndy Otty
Oct 12, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I'm conflicted on this anthology because while the essays themselves are very well done and incredibly informative, I can't help but roll my eyes at all the praise given to a series that I don't feel lives up to the source material that is elaborated on here. It's a poorly written and often poorly executed series of books and all the big words and scholarly gushing doesn't change that for me.
Fenix Rose
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I got this as a gift.
What a wonderful book.
I had no idea that Cast did so much research. But it does show in her books.
How wonderful to read through all these essays by many different authors and get history, mythology, and the unique blending that is all Cast.
Nyx is a real goddess, ancient and this book series has brought her back into human consciousness and belief.
Angela(demonsangel) Fitzgerald
This book may confuse some. I enjoyed it and it gives the mythology, religion, and folklore of the House of Night series. It gives you more insight and depth that you will enjoy. If there's questions that you have had or things that you didn't understand then you should read this book, it might help to clear things up for you.
Hillary
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this was interesting. It talked about vampire folklore, myths, and religion and relates it to the House of Night series. The stories are amazing and each essay was well written and thought out. Good educational tidbit.
Allison
Jun 07, 2011 rated it liked it
It was pretty good and I enjoyed some of the background info. Some of it I found boring though. I did like the background on why she chose each name. It was a great book though and it was a good idea to explain everything to everyone.
Samantha Glass
Aug 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fantastic reference book for those who enter the House of Night series Explanations, historical underpinnings, mythological references and more. Lovely artwork too. I could see this being required reading in a modern vampyre class.
Haley Harrigan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If you had a question in the HoN series, this book will definitely answer them!
Mabel
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
a textbook meh
Stacy Cathcart
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A must read companion book that’s nonfictional essays.
Marissa Fowle
UGGGH. If you are annoyed by this book, or bored, or...WHATEVER, just DON'T comment. For Wiccans and Pagans like me, or people who want to know more about my religion, this book, I'm sure, will be good for you. So I haven't read this yet, but I got this as a Yule present. I started reading this series when I was...13 I think? Because my Goddess is Nyx. And yes, Nyx is real. Vampyres, sadly, are not. Nyx is not the Goddess of vampyres. At least not irl. I'm actually really excited to read this. S ...more
Todd
May 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Um... so, did anyone else think this was a part-of-the-series book about Nyx? Like her whole deal with (view spoiler)

Yea... I was severely distraught when I learned that it was only a documentary-style book about the Nyx lore, etc, boring, yawn, who cares!...

lame. :(

Hopefully Dragon's Oath is more story-based... *sadface*
Darcy
Oct 25, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2011, e-book, ya, vampires
This book was both interesting and yet boring. I did like the insight that others had to the world that is HON, but at the same time it seemed like people are/were reading too much into the book.

If you are a big fan of this series I think you will enjoy this book, if you just read it for fun, this one would be ok to skip.
  • House of Night #2 (House of Night: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • The Morganville Vampires, Volume 4 (The Morganville Vampire, #7-8)
  • Dinner Disaster (The Vampire Diaries: The Return Extras, #2.2)
  • Stopping Time and Old Habits (Wicked Lovely, #2.5, 2.6)
  • Tantalize: Kieren's Story
  • Cryptic Cravings (Vampire Kisses, #8)
  • Sweep: Volume 5 (Sweep, #13-15)
  • Ruling Passion (Drake Chronicles, #1-3)
  • Eternal Flame (The Immortals, #0.5)
  • Otherworld Primer
  • Frostbite: The Graphic Novel (Vampire Academy: The Graphic Novel, #2)
  • Witches 101: A Witches of East End Primer
  • House of Night Series
  • Thirst No. 5: The Sacred Veil (Thirst, #5)
PC was born in the Midwest, and grew up being shuttled back-and-forth between Illinois and Oklahoma, which is where she fell in love with Quarter Horses and mythology (at about the same time). After high school, she joined the United States Air Force and began public speaking and writing. After her tour in the USAF, she taught high school for 15 years before retiring to write full time. PC is a #1 ...more
“Fun fact: The planet Venus- aka, the 'morning star' when it appears before sunrise, outshining all the stars in the heavens-was once known as Luciferin.
Funner fact: The chemical that makes fireflies' butts light up is called "luciferin”
12 likes
“It's not easy being the Chosen One. Just ask Buffy Summers. Ask Harry Potter. And ask Zoey Redbird, the latest in this list of "lucky" candidates picked by fate to save the world from darkness- and oh yeah, find romance, keep their friends and maybe not flunk every class. In their spare time of course.” 7 likes