Start by marking “Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe, #33)” as Want to Read:
Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe, #33)

Three at Wolfe's Door (Nero Wolfe #33)

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  1,441 Ratings  ·  54 Reviews
Three murder cases place arrogant, gormandizing sleuth Archie Goodwin at an exclusive dinner party where arsenic is served, in a wandering cab with a dead lady driver, and at a rodeo championship.
Published June 9th 2010 by Crimeline (first published April 29th 1960)

To ask other readers questions about Three at Wolfe's Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three at Wolfe's Door

Bill  Kerwin
Jan 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Three Nero Wolfe novellas, in which 1) a gourmet is poisoned at at a meal prepared by Fritz, 2) a womanizer is strangled with a lariat during a roping contest in Lily Rowan's penthouse, and 3) a woman is strangled in the back of a taxicab parked literally at Wolfe's Door.

I think the Wolfe novellas are often superior to the novels, and these three are very good indeed.
Evgeny
Mar 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This anthology consists of three novellas:

Poison a la Carte.
bliny
The above picture shows a dish of Slavic origin called bliny. Wolfe sent his excellent ("competent" according to Wolfe's definition of him) cook Fritz to help prepare a meal for a group of gourmands. One of them was poisoned while eating bliny; Wolfe feels responsible for involving his cook and thus it is personal for him. Archie Goodwin has similar feelings, so it is personal for him as well.

I was extremely jealous of people who were
Tony
THREE AT WOLFE’S DOOR. (1960). Rex Stout. ***.
This is a collection of three short novels, each featuring a specific mystery involving Nero Wolfe and his cohorts. There isn’t really any underlying theme that unites these three tales. The closest I could come up with is that each story occurs mostly outside of Wolfe’s house, and he is forced to leave his abode and make his way to a place better suited for solving the mystery. The three tales included are:
Poison a la Carte
Method Three for Murder
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mysteries, 2015
I love the Nero Wolfe books! Laughed out loud many times and kept reading bits to my husband. Such fun!
Tony
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My Grade = 85% - B

This "book" consisted of three novellas, each about 75 pages long.

In the first, Poison a la Carte, Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin are guests at a very special New York dinner for ten gourmands. They are served by twelve unemployed actresses, all dressed identically in purple stolas (gowns a la greque). During the first course, one of the gourmands is given a plate of blinis that has been laced with arsenic, but the poison does not take effect for several courses.

As these men are
astaliegurec
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rex Stout's 1960 book "Three at Wolfe's Door (A Nero Wolfe Mystery Book 33)" is a compilation of three of his 1960 short stories:

1. "Poison a la Carte"
2. "Method Three for Murder"
3. "The Rodeo Murder"

"Poison" is a Very Good 4 stars out of 5 short story in good Stout form without any real negative. "Method" is an even better Excellent 5 stars out of 5 short story that's got the added benefit of being even more witty (I'd say humorous if it weren't a murder mystery). But, "Rodeo" is a Not Very Goo
Richard Schwindt
For a novelist, Rex Stout, showed a surprising aptitude for the short story. His collections of short Nero Wolfe mysteries are well worth a look, especially if you are working on a limited time frame; maybe a flight to Baltimore or a bus to Hamilton. This particular collection contains what to me is certainly the best short story Stout wrote, "Murder a la Carte". A remarkable dinner goes terribly wrong and deeply involves Wolfe's Swiss chef, Fritz and a bevy of maiden servers. Take some time and ...more
Scilla
Sep 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Poison a la Carte, the first story, Wolfe agrees to have Fritz Brennner cook the annual dinner for the Ten for Aristology. At the dinner, one of the guests is poisoned with arsenic. There were 12 diners and 12 actresses each serving one of the guests. No one saw which actress served the plate to the dead man. However, Archie and Wolfe finally determine the killer.
In Method Three for Murder, Archie quits work and finds a young woman on the doorstep as he leaves Wolfe's house. There is a cab p
Marie
Sep 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three good Nero Wolfe/Archie Goodwin stories. As always, thanks Rex Stout.
Nan Silvernail
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three mysteries:
1) Poison a' la carte - Nero Wolfe's personal chef, Fritz Brenner is honored with an invitation to prepare a dinner for the Ten for Aristology, a meeting of the top gourmets. Wolfe and Archie Goodwin attend by courtesy invitation. He wouldn't have if he'd have known the dinner would be served by 12 beautiful young women in purple togas. Pfui! But when the obnoxious member seated next to Wolfe is poisoned, he and Archie must find out whose delicate hand delivered Death.

2) Method T
Alison C
Three at Wolfe's Door is another collection of novellas by Rex Stout featuring the great detective Nero Wolfe and his sidekick Archie Goodwin. In "Poison a la Carte," Wolfe agrees to lend his Swiss cook Fritz to a group of gourmands for a special meal, provided he and Archie are invited too; when one of the guests ends up poisoned, Wolfe and Archie must determine whom of the 12 young women hired as wait staff did the evil deed in order to clear Fritz's name. "Method Three for Murder" follows Arc ...more
Joyce Lagow

This is a collection of three Nero Wolfe short stories--Poison a la Carte, Method Three for Murder, and The Rodeo Murder--written in the late 1950s.

Always allowing for the time period in which these were written, Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin hold up well; they are enough idiosyncratic that they continue to entertain more than 50 years later. The same can’t be said for some of the plots.

The Rodeo Murder is terrible. Cowpokes in The Big City and gettin’ hitched an’ all that sort of pseudo-folksy
Sun
Mar 18, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three Nero Wolfe stories in one. In the first, 'Poison a la Carte', Wolfe and Goodwin attend a select dinner for aristologists specially prepared by Fritz. One of the diners is poisoned and suspicion falls on half a dozen waitresses. In 'Method Three for Murder', a corpse is delivered right to Wolfe's door and it's Archie who is hired to solve the case. This is the most well-developed of the three stories in plot. The last and the lamest short is titled 'The Rodeo Murder', in which a Broadway pr ...more
Debbie
Feb 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, historical
Three short story mysteries set in New York City around 1960: "Poison a' la carte," "Method Three for Murder," and "The Rodeo Murder." Archie's humorous view of life made them all worth reading. The first and last mystery were basically Wolfe solving an impossible mystery by cleverly tricking the murderer into exposing self or into letting some critical bit of information out. The middle mystery was clue-based, and I was headed in the right direction with putting things together. I felt like I s ...more
Brie
Jan 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I discovered Nero Wolfe through Netflix, yeah, the A&E TV show with Timothy Hutton. I love it and devour them.
When I learned that they were based off of books and did some research to make sure the characters were equally clever, I picked them up. I usually detest mystery novels, but this one, this series is wonderful. I can't get enough of the characters who are dynamic and hilarious.
I usually classify my favorite genre as gritty whimsy, and this fits the bill perfectly. Gruesome crimes, fu
Stephen Osborne
Dec 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed these 3 tales. Stout is a master at novelettes, keeping them short but not skimping on story or character development. Hard to pick a favorite here, as they were all top notch. In the 1st we get more of Fritz than normal, which is nice. The second story has Archie sort of getting a case on his own, but with Wolfe to assist...and the last tale gives us a murder in Lily Rowan's penthouse apartment.
Susan
Another compilation of Stout's novellas, with some strong entries. In the first, Fritz cooks a dinner for a group of gourmets, only to have one of them poisoned. In the second, Archie quits his job and walks out of the house, only to land in the middle of a murder. In the last one, Wolfe takes a rare trip out of the house to have a special dinner at Lily Rowan's penthouse apartment, at which another guest is murdered.
Claudia
Sep 24, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all mystery lovers
I like Nero Wolfe mystery books. Of course, growing up in the fifties, these books appeal to my nostalgic memories.
It's hard to dislike sassy, smart-mouthed Archie Goodwin, Nero's trusted factotum and sometime whipping boy. And, of course, Nero the genius who sits like a fat spider in his office waiting for a wealthy client to help pay for his love of orchids and food.
This book contains three novellas, all of which I enjoyed.
Vitor Frazão
Melhor que a anterior obra de Rex Stout que li. Não me interpretem mal, continua a irritar-me o cliché cansativo de os detectives privados como génios e as forças de autoridade como grunhos, mesmo pelo menos a personagens estão menos insonsas e as descrições melhores, talvez por estar dividido em 3 histórias mais pequenas. Fossem os mistérios um pouco mais inteligentes e talvez merecesse 3 Estrelas.
Nancy Butts
#33 in the Nero Wolfe series, and another one of the trilogies. This one consists of Poison a la Carte, Method Three for Murder, and The Rodeo Murder. In the second story, Archie quits and acquires his first client before he even walks down the seven steps of the front stoop—and Nero not only ignores the resignation, he actually agrees to act as Archie's partner in the murder investigation, for a measly $25!
Ed
Aug 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Average Nero Wolfe short story/novella collection - the rating is 3.5 because average for Rex Stout was much better than average.

Nero Wolfe series - Three at Wolfe's Door is a collection of Nero Wolfe mystery novellas. The book comprises three stories, one of them published previously: "Poison à la Carte"; "Method Three for Murder" (previously serialized in three issues of The Saturday Evening Post, January 30–February 13, 1960); and, "The Rodeo Murder".
Serena

My Rating System:
Vicki Cline
May 23, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-mysteries
This is another collection of three short stories. In the first one, Wolfe doesn't even figure out whodunit, just how to trap the person into revealing him/her-self. But the second one is pretty good. A young woman knocks at the door just as Archie is leaving, having quit his job with Wolfe. She needs Archie's help with a corpse in the cab she just drove over. A pretty intricate plot.
Paul Secor
I read many of Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe novels when I was younger, and recently decided to reacquaint myself with Wolfe and Archie Goodwin.
This collection of three novellas/short stories strikes me as minor Rex Stout. The stories were enjoyable, but I missed being able to read and stretch out with Archie's narratives.
Lisa Kucharski
First two mysteries are solid. The third feels a bit hammed up, mostly due to the characters being a bit more bawdy. But in general the last story was the weakest mystery in general. Lily was in the story and I was hoping to get to see more of her, since she and Archie are an very fond of each other.
Jeff
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Three at Wolfe’s Door (1960)

Many of Rex Stout’s Nero Wolfe books are collections of 3 novellas. They usually take up fifty or so pages and were published in magazines back when there was a reading public. The three here are fun, but I like the novels better. There is more room in them for Goodwin’s voice and interaction between the two leads.
Renee Wallace
Apr 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rex Stout makes investing in the Kindle app for my iPad more than worthwhile! When the local library can no longer get these books, the Kindle store can! I have loved every one I have downloaded so far, and I know I will love them all, when i get to them!

This one is an example of the best of his short stories. I could not put it down.
JZ
Dec 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, own
The first story was developed by Timothy Hutton into a screen version for A&E, and was all right. The second, with the dead body in the cab, made me laugh. Not to very likely. The third, not up to standard. Sorry. An average for Rex Stout, which still is above average for others, but not one of his best.
পাঠক
Jan 23, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, three stories and each of em is worse than the other two. Horrible, horrible stories. I will never know what it is about Wolfe that appeals to Americans and anyone else who liked[like really? like for reals?] these stories.
M. Jane Colette
Not one of the best novella collections, but yet... every once in a while, I come back to it. Method Three For Murder in particular has some lovely twists.

And, Archie.

I totally have an Archie crush.
  • The Last Coincidence (Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe)
  • Flynn (Flynn, #1)
  • Find a Victim
  • A Play of Heresy (Joliffe the Player, #7)
  • The Thief-Taker (Memoirs of a Bow Street Runner #1)
  • Murder for Christmas
  • Deadly Duo
  • Monday the Rabbi Took Off
  • The Case of the Glamorous Ghost (Perry Mason)
  • Tales of the Black Widowers (The Black Widowers, #1)
  • The Bigger They Come
Rex Todhunter Stout (December 1, 1886 – October 27, 1975) was an American crime writer, best known as the creator of the larger-than-life fictional detective Nero Wolfe, described by reviewer Will Cuppy as "that Falstaff of detectives." Wolfe's assistant Archie Goodwin recorded the cases of the detective genius from 1934 (Fer-de-Lance) to 1975 (A Family Affair).

The Nero Wolfe corpus was nominated
More about Rex Stout...

Nero Wolfe (1 - 10 of 47 books)
  • Fer-de-Lance (Nero Wolfe, #1)
  • The League of Frightened Men (Nero Wolfe, #2)
  • The Rubber Band (Nero Wolfe, #3)
  • The Red Box (Nero Wolfe, #4)
  • Too Many Cooks (Nero Wolfe, #5)
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Over My Dead Body (Nero Wolfe, #7)
  • Where There's a Will (Nero Wolfe, #8)
  • Black Orchids (Nero Wolfe, #9)
  • Not Quite Dead Enough (Nero Wolfe, #10)
“The trouble with an alarm clock is that what seems sensible when you set it seems absurd when it goes off.” 2 likes