Start by marking “To Tame a Sheikh (Pride Of Zohayd #1)” as Want to Read:
To Tame a Sheikh (Pride Of Zohayd #1)

To Tame a Sheikh

(Pride of Zohayd #1)

He'd noticed her across a crowded room, and in that instant Sheikh Shaheen Aal Shalaan wanted her. With just a few words, Shaheen had his mystery woman in his bed, where she awakened passions he'd long denied.

Then the sheikh discovered his lover's true identity. She was Johara, his childhood friend, now fully blossomed into a vision he could not do without. But
Published November 9th 2010 by Silhouette (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about To Tame a Sheikh, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Tame a Sheikh

Start your review of To Tame a Sheikh (Pride Of Zohayd #1)
Gillian Wheatley
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favourtie
If you want to read a story of true love, belief, and enduring passion - this is the one for you. Shaheen prince of Zohayd sees a woman across a crowded room and all though of duty and arranged marriages fly from his thoughts as he sees the woman who completes him - his heart, his soul mate his everything. Johara has loved him since she was a child and lived in the royal palace where her father was the keeper of the royal jewels and wanted to see Shaheen once more before he marries for poilitica ...more
Angela
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
If you like to read stories where people are kind and loving to each other (or why else would you read love stories :) then I know you'll LOVE this novel. There's still enough conflict in the story for those who like this element in their reading material, but just not from the two main characters (the man and woman whom the love story is about). The drama surrounding them brings them closer and enriches the novel - providing tender as well as passionate romance. And this is why we read these ro ...more
Lorraine
Oct 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all the wonderful ladies that loves a good romance novel.
LOVED, LOVED, LOVED.... Prince Shaheen Aal Shalaan not afraid to show is loved for Johara Nazaryan. From beginning to end this book is wonderful. It gives you the insight from the mans point of view. I liked that about this book. He wasn't afraid to enter into this love for her. Keep writing these wonderful books Ms. Gates. Looking forward to the others.
Dee
If you are looking for a love story then this is the one for you. Another reviewer (MelissaB) said that Ms Gates' words were flowery and I cannot disagree as they certainly are!

Normally I would have disliked this story because it was so sickly sweet but I actually found that I loved it. There was very little romance involved as the H/h declared their love for each other almost from the start. There was a little angst when the h disappeared and the H was looking for her but that reall
Philipa
Jan 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
5 plus stars. A perfect love story filled with passion, beauty, trust and sacrifice. Writing is incredibly passionate, detailed and vivid. Brava. Cannot recommend highly enough!
Apr 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really, really liked this one! There was no massive misunderstanding, they were clearly in love from the first, and were totally confident in the other's love, but there was still conflict and problems. Loved it!
Kristina
Feb 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After reading To Tame A Sheikh, I had an epiphany.

I've been reading 'romance' for longer than I care to admit, and most of the time, I feel like I'm chasing a mirage. I'm reading those books 'for' the romance. But what I usually get is two people who're at each others' throats for most of the book, who spend most of the story prisoner to their fears or insecurities or prejudices...etc. etc. and treating their 'love' interest accordingly.

The epiphany was that for someone who's been reading roma
Christine
Feb 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Wow. Just when I think Olivia Gates has written the best book she could, she writes another one that's just as good AND different from those that came before it. She never repeats herself. And I love the intensity of the passion and romance in her writing.

Shaheen and Johara share a love like no other. I loved their Romeo-and-Juliet-like dilemma, but I bought their love much more than I did Romeo's and Juliet's. Those were two adults with loads of reasons to be that much in love. And the sacrifi
Katie Priddy
Dec 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great romance! can read over and over again.
Vintage
Olivia Gates is the Sheikh romance writer extradonairre. This is a good one, but for some reason doesn't hold the stratospheric level of angst, heart-wrenching love that some of her others do.

In this one, we have pretty much a beta hero with alpha tendencies and the heroine who has loved him forever. Forever being when he saved her as a child and he was a teenager. Too bad he's bound to be the Sheikh although he's the middle of five brothers, and she is a mere peon. Her father is/was the jeweler to t
Elaine Howell
Jan 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Liked this book, you could feel the heat between Shaheen and Johara from the first meeting. They both face problems before they can finally be together and the wedding description is wonderful, you can see the wonderful colors and the great jewels. Sets up the next two books in the series to finish the quest that begins in this book.
Chitra *CJ*
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
"To Tame A Sheikh" is the story of Johara and Shaheen.
Johara is the royal jeweler Berj's daughter and has always loved prince Shaheen, even since he rescued her as a child.
When she goes to glimpse at him one last time before his engagement ball, he is drawn to her like a moth, and not recognizing her, he and "Gemma" share an unforgettable night after which she disappears.
Returning back to his kingdom he realizes it's none other than Johara, and then devotes his time making her
Marlene
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible story about two people who loved each other forever when everything is against them and how they triumph over all obstacles by believing in each other and sacrificing everything for one another. I've read it three times already and can't get enough of how much those two love each other. Really amazing love story!
Grace
Feb 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book from the first page! This is the first book of the Pride of Zohayd series. There are three books in the series, starting from the younger brother, Shaheen, to the oldest of the brothers. When I was done reading To Tame a Sheikh, I found myself scouring Olivia Gates' past work--that's how much I loved this book.

The first time Shaheen and Johara meet, our hero falls hard and fast. So what's a red-blooded male to do? Pursue. Relentlessly. Though, to her credit, Johara
MelissaB
Wow, this author writes very flowery descriptions about how this couple knows they are intensely in love after one glance and exist on a higher plane where they just "know" what the other one feels. The love scenes were kind of strange, they were sort of non-descriptive but sounded a bit painful instead of pleasureful (he "slams" into her - ouch).

The romance wasn't all that exciting because of the supposed instant love for him and she supposedly loved him since she was 6 (squicky). That doesn't
Fiona Marsden
Mar 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: If you like positive relationship and sizzling sex
Recommended to Fiona by: Facebook contact with Author
What can you say about a book where the hero loves and believes in his true love almost from the first moment? Olivia Gates takes her lovers, Shaheen and Johara, and places their romance in a situation where things like a sense of duty and external influences threaten to tear them apart. In a genre where misunderstanding and angst between the protagonists is the usual way to drive the conflict this book came as a pleasant surprise. There was plenty of tension and anxiety but the relationship bet ...more
Jenn - Reviews
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: the-sheikhs
I really enjoyed reading this story. The hero, Shaheen, is absolutely fabulous in his total and absolute love and trust for his one and only love, Johara.
This is a beautiful story with all the intensity I've come to expect from Olivia Gates.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Pride of Zohayd

RT's Reviewer's Choice Award for Best Silhouette Desire of 2010
Samantha
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Five stars plus!

This book should be a template for all love stories where the hero and heroine truly LOVE each other all through and never doubt each other. Conflicts come hard and fast from all around them, trying to tear them apart, but that only makes their love stronger, makes their happily ever after that much more deserved when they sacrifice everything for each other. To Tame A Sheikh (wonder where THAT title came from!)is an incredibly powerful love story with some of the ama
Matilda
Feb 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The most romantic and passionate book I've ever read about two people who love and trust each other totally. Such a treat to read all that love and exotic details. Highly recommended!
Jillian Saunders
Feb 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I gulped down To Tame A Sheikh in one sitting, wouldn't even get up to eat until I finished it. Shaheen has such pure unwavering love for Johara it was so refreshing to read about an alpha hero who remained alpha without being a suspicious testosterone addled jerk. I loved the details of Zohayd, the Pride of Zohayd jewelry, and my GOD I loved AMJAD! It's a good thing I didn't read this book when it first came out or I would have gone made waiting for Amjad's book which came months after. This wa ...more
Tara
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think anything can top the Throne of Judar series in passion and emotion, but To Tame A Sheikh did just that. Shaheen and Johara's love is one for the legends, one far better than Romeo and Juliet, and they deal with their impossible situation far better. I loved how they loved each other so totally, how he believed in her and never mistrusted her for a moment. That's a real alpha hero. A fantastic beginnign for the Pride of Zohayd trilogy and deserves mroe than five stars.
Joy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Really moving and descriptive story about two people who were meant to be together. The hero specifically is an amazing man. We always get how the heroine loved only one man and remained faithful no matter what. But in this book the hero, Shaheen, is the same and more. He never doubted his love or the heroine and was ready to sacrifice anything for her.
Stella Rhys
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brava Olivia Gates!

Those words could, in all honesty, have been the whole review. But I have noticed that each book of hers I read has a special quality about them. It is as though she concentrates on a particular aspect of her writing to improve upon with each. For this review, I will focus on her characters.

Olivia Gates has been brilliant with every character she writes. Each had something special and every protagonist was memorable. But this novel, To Tame A Sheikh, to
Mariah
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
To Tame A Sheikh was a fantastic first installment in the Pride of Zohayd sheikh series (even though each book can be enjoyed separately with no problems) I loved how Shaheen loved Johara, how he never suspected her and was ready to sacrifice everything he was for her and to be with her.

Zohayd itself was a fantasy land came to life, and the author made me wish it existed so I can at least go visit it. The plot revolving around the conspiracy and the Pride of Zohayd jewels was inventive and myst
Lena Kyrollos
Apr 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is how love stories should be, and this is how they should be written! Only Olivia Gates can capture that level of emotional and physical passion and make us feel its every breathless thrill right along with her protagonists. Shaheen and Johara's love jumped right off the page and into my heart! And at last, an alpha male sheikh who doesn't jump to moronic conclusions about the woman he loves, and believes in her with his every breath. As for his brothers, oh my. Amjad in particular takes ' ...more
Laila
Oct 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Incredible. Passionate. Poignant. A love story so powerful and sweet and erotic it had my heart pounding with the strength of the hero and heroine's emotions from the first line to the last. And a very, very refreshing alpha male who is truly one, and who never wavers in his love and trust of his beloved.

To Tame a Sheikh is a truly magnificent entry into the Pride of Zohayd trilogy and another testament to a master in her craft. Olivia Gates never ceases to amaze me and always delivers more tha
linda cowley
Aug 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was my first time of reading something written by Olivia but I can guarantee it won't be my last. I sat down and started to read, 6hrs later I came back to the present. I loved this book!!!!! The hero Harres is the epitome of female fantasies, and wouldn't it be great if there was one in the real world eh! Looking forward to getting the other two books in the series A.S.A.P.
Nina
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I love, love, LOVE Shaheen and how much he loved and trusted Johara! He's the man every woman dreams of loving, and having him love her. Add that to the scorching hot (emotionally and erotically) love scenes, the incredible exotic world of Zohayd that Olivia Gates paints with her Master brush, and you have another mega winner!
Theresa
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic start to the Pride of Zohayd trilogy and another spell-binding, exotic and passionate sheikh book by Olivia Gates. I can't get enough fo her writing in any genre, and one of my favorites of hers are her sheikhs!

• Bella and the Merciless Sheikh (The Balfour Brides #7)
  • One Night Heir (By His Royal Decree, #1)
  • Truly Madly Yours (Truly, Idaho, #1)
  • An Arabian Marriage (Sister Brides, #1)
  • The Vengeful Husband (The Husband Hunters, #2)
  • Married to a Mistress (The Husband Hunters, #1)
  • The Heiress Bride (Sister Brides, #3)
  • Hajar's Hidden Legacy (Beasts of the Desert, #1)
  • Forbidden: The Sheikh's Virgin (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #3)
  • Wedlocked: Banished Sheikh, Untouched Queen (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #1)
  • Scandal: His Majesty's Love-Child (Dark-Hearted Desert Men #4)
  • The Sheikh's Forbidden Virgin (The Royal House of Karedes #4)
  • The Kouros Marriage Revenge
  • Lost to the Desert Warrior (The Private Lives of Public Playboys #3)
  • Mia and the Powerful Greek (The Balfour Brides, #1)
  • Marrying Her Royal Enemy (Kingdoms & Crowns #3)
  • The Marchese's Love Child
  • Bought: The Greek's Baby
I am a USA TODAY Bestselling Author of 45 books in different genres including Contemporary Romance, Medical Romance, Medical Action Thrillers and Paranormal Romance. My upcoming works will also veer into fantasy.

But one thing is for sure…there will always be central romances in my books. The all-consuming kind that leaves readers breathless and begging for more.

I love to hear fron my

Pride of Zohayd (4 books)
  • To Tempt a Sheikh (Pride Of Zohayd, #2)
  • To Touch a Sheikh (Pride of Zohayd, #3)
  • Lai šventė prasideda (Zohaido didybė, #1-3)