Start by marking “How Much Is a Million?” as Want to Read:
How Much Is a Million?

How Much Is a Million?

“A jubilant, original picture book.” Booklist (starred review)

Ever wonder just what a million of something means? How about a billion? Or a trillion? Marvelosissimo the mathematical magician can teach you!

How Much Is a Million? knocks complex numbers down to size in a fun, humorous way, helping children conceptualize a difficult mathematical concept. It's a math class you
Published December 28th 2004 by Collins (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about How Much Is a Million?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How Much Is a Million?

Shiloah
This is one I’ve raised my kids on. We did a reread tonight.
Ronyell
I have actually first heard of this book through “Weston Woods” and I have enjoyed it ever since! “How Much Is a Million?” is a mathematical children's book by David M. Schwartz along with illustrations by Steven Kellogg and it is about how Marvelosissimo the Mathematical Magician shows kids how much it would take to count to a million! “How Much Is a Million?” is a truly brilliant book for children who want to learn more about mathematics!

This book basically explains about how much a million wo
Jenna Dillon
Oct 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: late-early
Brief summary: This book is about a explaining the magnitude of the number: one million. It goes through different scenarios that involve the number so that children can better understand that a million is huge.Genre: non-fiction, informational guide to understanding concepts
Reading Level: This book is for transitional readers because the text placement is varied and there are multiple lines on most pages. There is a mixture of regular and some harder words, which were mostly one or two syllable
Amar Pai
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books
I like what this book is going for, even though (IMO) it utterly fails. The problem is, you just can't conceive of a trillion. A million, maybe. A billion, doubtful but possible. A trillion, forget it. The book attempts to convey the relative scale of these numbers via how big a goldfish bowl w/ that many goldfish would be, how tall a human ladder with that many humans would be, etc. One step away from using "football fields" or "pencils stacked end to end." The metaphors are kinda tired and I d ...more
Janene
May 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My six-year-old is insatiable about numbers right now, and this book absolutely hits the spot. It is mind-blowing, as the illustrations (Stephen Kellogg is a favorite of mine) and narrative effectively explore VERY large numbers that you sometimes hear thrown around in the news. Here you will learn that a trillion (a thousand billion) really is tremendous.

A sample...
If one million kids climbed onto one another's shoulders, they would be... taller than the tallest buildings, higher than the high
Amy Forrester
Mar 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing
How many years would it take you to count to one million? One billion? One trillion? What if you wanted to find a goldfish bowl big enough to hold a million or a billion or a trillion gold fish? This humorous, but accurate book follows a group of kids and Marvelosissimo, the Mathematical Magician, to answers these questions.

The illustrations show energetic children amazed at the sights Marvelosissimo shows them. The pictures are full of movement, splashing whales, climbing children. I also love
Tatiana
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: K-3
Kindergarteners make an excellent reading audience. At tutoring every week, we primarily practice letter, number, and quantity recognition with the group of students, so when I found How Much is a Million? on the Title 1 bookshelf, it was an ideal break-out when their attentions drifted away from the white board work.

This is a good concept book, and I was already thinking of how I could write an interactive reading lesson plan around it (probably with the focus of fantasy v. reality or repetiti
Dolly
Feb 17, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This book offers a fun and imaginative way to describe just how big a million, a billion and a trillion are using concrete figures of a child's height, time, a quantity of water, and pages of stars to illustrate the somewhat abstract concept of such large numbers. The information was mind-blowing and the illustrations are fun. We are looking forward to reading If You Made a Million and On Beyond a Million: An Amazing Math Journey by this author.
Amber
Have you ever wondered how much really is a million? Well if you read this book, you can stop wondering. This book talks about how a million would look in many different forms. In the form of stars and then in the form of items on the Earth. I would love to have this book in my classroom and no matter what age, I would love to talk to the children about numbers. When talking about numbers you can talk about small numbers a lot, but we never really talk about big numbers, numbers that seem intang ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Had lunch with the author today.

A really good description of orders of magnitude using things children can relate too (children standing on shoulders, the time to count, goldfish and stars in the book)

Kimberly
May 11, 2012 rated it liked it
I love this math book. Fun!
Haley Smith
Dec 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bibliography
This book is a nonfiction book for children from prek- 2nd grade. This book has won several awards including Reading Rainbow Book, Horn Book Fanfare,Boston Globe-Horn Book Award Honor Book, Beehive Award (Utah), Bank Street Children's Book Award, ALA Notable Children's Book, ALA Booklist Editors' Choice. This book is all about counting to extremely large numbers like one million, one billion and one trillion. Not only does it talk about counting it tells you what it would look like if there were ...more
Emily Peters
Oct 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: rdng-350
Summary:
This book makes it fun to understand math. It explains what it really means to have a million or even more or less. This book uses great examples like if one million kids climbed into one another’s shoulders they would be taller than the tallest building. They make it fun and they have great pictures that go along with what is being said.
Like or not:
I really like this book. I didn’t think nonfiction picture books were a thing and then I came across this book and I think it is so fun an
Mehreen
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math-tales
I got this book for my middle guy because he always has questions based on numbers.
The author is actually a mathematician and made this conceptual book for children to grow their curiosity for numbers.
The illustrations are enchanting with the element of learning and the text teaches with questions and answers entertaining to a child's mind. A very gripping conceptual math tale.
"How big is a million?
If a billion kids made a human tower...
they would stand up past the moon.
If you sat down to count
Caroline Daniel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-4050
o Summary: This book helps children under the concept of a million. Such a difficult thing to understand is broken down for kids to understand and have fun doing so.
o Grade level: second
o Appropriate classroom use: during a math lesson for fun
o Individual students who might benefit from reading: kids that like math
o Small group use: Kids can read and then talk about what a million is
o Whole class use: Read during a math class to have a break from doing actual math work
o Related books in genre/su
Michael P Campana
Marvelosissimo the [fictional] Mathematical Magician introduces children to the [non-fiction] mathematical concept of very high numbers (one million, one billion, and one trillion) using a variety of relatable illustrations and examples (e.g. 'If you wanted to count from one to one million, it would take you about 23 days' and 'If a goldfish bowl were big enough for a million goldfish, it would be large enough to hold a whale'). The book's colorful ink and watercolor illustrations on each page h ...more
Rachael Fricke
Can you count to one million? How long will it take you? Want the answers to these questions and more? Read this adorable book. I loved this book! This book is a great way to put large numbers in to perspective for kids. I'm an adult and I thought I knew how much one million, one billion, one trillion were, yet I was still shocked after reading the book. The illustrations are fabulous! This would make for a great "Across the Curriculum" read that you could incorporate with a math lesson! Kids wi ...more
Lauralee Moose
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
A million is an awfully big number, so big it is hard to put into perspective. Schwartz is able to provide some engaging and child friendly perspective on just how big a million actually is. This is a fun (sometimes silly) engaging book to introduce children to larger numbers and give them better number sense.
Mary Madison
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: child-lit
In the book a Mathematical Magician teaches children just how much a million is, in ways they can relate too!! He even explains a billion and a trillion. I LOVE this book because for many kids math is not a easy subject. This book makes math seem exciting!! I would read this to any age group because I think they all would love it.
Elizabeth
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a really cute book. It uses the same examples to illustrate the amount of one million, one billion, and one trillion. It helps give children the idea of how truly big these numbers are. Kellog's illustrations are beautiful, as usual. It would be a good book for reading aloud or story time usage.
Alayna Patten
Sep 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Genre: Informational
Grade Level: 2nd-4th
Unique Feature: There are math calculations in the back of the book that are related to the scenarios in the book. It's really cool that the students are able to see how they discovered that it would take about 95 years to count to one billion and how they are able to figure those things out for themselves too! It makes math interesting.
Melissa Namba
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dnamba
I enjoyed the concrete examples for kids to be able to visualize what a million, billion, and trillion would look like. I think most kids would be interested in this. It is not overly wordy or preachy.
Hailey Gray
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This picture book (informational: math)was about children learning how to determine how large of a number a million is, and then a billion and a trillion. The pictures of this book really help students learn how large these numbers are by using children, stars, and fish bowls as measuring tools. This book makes math exciting for young learners because of the fun facts included for measuring such large numbers.
Jessica
Nov 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educ542, own
This is a great book for encouraging curiosity and math thinking and discussion in Elementary. Probably too advance for primary. The author included problem solving strategy in the back of the book to help. The illustrations were fun too!
Mary
Sep 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great introductory book about really big numbers. It seems like it was a bit over my kids' heads, but I also don't want to underestimate the value in reading things like this to them because they continually shock me with what they recall about our read-alouds.
Danna
Jan 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Not my favorite math book and it really didn't hold my third graders attention. It could be that by third grade they are harder to impress by the words million, billion and trillion but actually I wasn't very impressed myself.
Lynn  Davidson
Aug 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What an interesting way to talk about arithmetic! Using children who are an average height of 4'8", and stars, water, space - and more - amazing calculations are discussed. The back 3 pages have more detailed information. Fun illustrations.
XIS Grade 3
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 3ja-read-to-self
Maya: I liked it because the children are taller than the moon.
Paula Shreckhise
Oct 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Great little book for kids illustrating how much a million would be in terms kids can understand. But there is math and truth in there! Great for the grandkids. Teaching and having fun, too!
Mary Thomas
My favorite big numbers book.

Class average rating: 4.2
  • One Hundred Hungry Ants
  • Sir Cumference and the First Round Table: A Math Adventure
  • How Big Is a Foot?
  • Each Orange Had 8 Slices
  • How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Math Curse
  • The Doorbell Rang
  • One Grain Of Rice: A Mathematical Folktale
  • Counting on Frank
  • Anno's Counting Book
As a child, I was filled with a sense of awe as I contemplated the universe. The huge numbers of stars and their sizes and distances never failed to amaze me. With binoculars and magnifying glass, I also focused on closer subjects like birds, flowers, frogs and bugs.

But science and math weren't my only fascinations: I also loved bicycles, baseball, boats…and ice cream. Years later, on a clear spr