Start by marking “The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism” as Want to Read:
The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism

The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism

The Fatal Flaw exposes the inconsistencies of the theology behind infant baptism. Rather than rehashing the familiar arguments against infant baptism, this work seeks to undercut its very foundation. What is the theological system which under girds infant baptism and where does this system come unraveled? This work answers these questions by explaining the distinction in the ...more
Paperback, 1st, 268 pages
Published 2010 by Free Grace Press

Be the first to ask a question about The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism

Start your review of The Fatal Flaw of the Theology Behind Infant Baptism
Pascal Denault
Feb 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best modern books on CT
Brad Atchison
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
After an initial reading of this book, I was very impressed with the argumentation that Jeff Johnson set forward in this. Johnson interacts with much of the historical view of paedobaptisim, how its woven into covenant theology and how it should not be.

Johnson comes from the standpoint of affirming Covenental Theology with a leaning towards a modified Klineianism. In other-words, Johnson affirms that the Mosaic Covenant was a "republication of the covenant of works". Johnson does not affirm NCT
Brandon
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a very thoughtful attempt at a Covenantal critique of Paedobaptism. The book is highly logical, which is exactly what I would expect from Pastor Johnson. He does a good job at explaining the history of Paedobaptism and presenting what he identifies as the 8 primary Paedobaptist approaches. He then focuses in on the Presbyterian approaches and critiques them on multiple points, including the obvious differences between circumcision and baptism (only males were circumcised, unbelievin ...more
Jorge
Jan 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
What can I say? When I was convinced that the doctrines of grace were taught in Scripture there came into my reading schedule a great many books written by mostly Reformed, Presbyterian authors that I eagerly devoured. Men such as John Calvin (anachronistic, I know), John Owen (Congregationalist, I know), Thomas Watson, Thomas Boston, Charles Hodge, Louis Berkhof, B.B. Warfield, Geerhardus Vos, E.J. Young, and R.C. Sproul. What did all these men have in common (among many things)? They were paed ...more
K.
Aug 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book convinced me that Baptists really only have one case for confessor baptism (I adamantly refuse to call it by the question-begging name of "believer's baptism".) And I have also concluded that I will never be persuaded of that case. This is the last book I will read on the subject.
Leah Unverferth
Jul 19, 2019 rated it did not like it
For an in-depth response to this book that I've written, see here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1w...

Whether you agree or not with Mr. Johnson's arguments, the organization and writing of this book are very poor. He defines his view at the very end rather then at the beginning. All throughout the book, I found myself questioning "So, is this what his view is? I think this is what he's getting at but how does he explain this? What's his view exactly?" There are also A LOT of spelling errors, sloppy statements, and genera
JR Snow
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best Book on Covenant Theology

As a former theology student I’ve read a lot about covenant theology and baptism. I’m revisiting the issue later, and have been tremendously blessed by this book. This book explains covenant theology better than any textbook I’ve ever read, and it helps one to understand the credobaptist position so much clearer.
Leandro Guimarães
Oct 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very clear take on a complicated subject. Forceful, yet irenic. I may be biased: I do not see how one cannot see the force of the evidence & arguments presented, even if I may disagree on his take on New covenant theology.
Mike Fendrich
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good entry level book into the baptistic view of covenant inclusion. Many errors arise from the Abrahamic covenant, this is one.
Emi Ciupe
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent baptist view on covenant theology.
Truth Needham
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A help

This book was a great help in laying down what I believe and tying up ends I didn’t know how to. A great work that is too strong to be ignored.
Simon Wartanian
Nov 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent exposition of especially the Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenant and showing the fallings short of Westminster Covenant Theology which stands behind infant baptism.

The Fatal Flaw is in the understanding of the Mosaic Covenant as an administration of the Covenant of Grace, rather than a covenant of works. And mixing up the natural and spiritual seed of Abraham.

Read it. I could not put it down!
Calvin
Aug 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology
A great piece of work, very helpful indeed. Anyone interested in covenantal theology should read this book for a counter balance to the more usual Presbyterian covenant theology. There is another solution that makes for a very clean hermeneutic.
Matt
Jul 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
This is the best introduction book on the baptist view of covenant theology. It shakes the foundations of both dispensationalism and paedobaptist covenant theology.
David Goodman
« previous 1 3 next »

• Remarriage after Divorce in Today's Church: 3 Views
  • Understanding Spiritual Gifts
  • Scrierile Noului Testament. Context, canon, conținut
  • A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies Obtruded on the Church of Scotland
  • Old Testament Textual Criticism: A Practical Introduction
  • A Case for Amillennialism: Understanding the End Times
  • Apologetics: A Justification of Christian Belief
  • Christ of the Covenants
  • The Whole Christ: Legalism, Antinomianism, and Gospel Assurance—Why the Marrow Controversy Still Matters
  • Parenting by God's Promises: How to Raise Children in the Covenant of Grace
  • The Core: Teaching Your Child the Foundations of Classical Education
  • A Peculiar Glory: How the Christian Scriptures Reveal Their Complete Truthfulness
  • Call the Sabbath a Delight
  • Lemuel Haynes The Black Puritan
  • Jonathan Edwards' Resolutions: And Advice to Young Converts
  • Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and Other Puritan Sermons
  • The Attributes of God
  • Preaching in the Holy Spirit
Jeff is the author of several Christian books, including the Amazon #1 Bestseller, The Church:Why Bother?

He is pastor/teacher of Grace Bible Church in Conway, Arkansas, a community where he also resides with his wife Letha and their two sons, Martyn and Christian.

Jeff graduated from Central Baptist College in Bible and earned his M. Rel. in Biblical Studies. He earned his Th.D in Syst