Start by marking “Battletech - Wolves on the Border” as Want to Read:
Battletech - Wolves on the Border

Battletech - Wolves on the Border (BattleTech Universe #8)

3.94  ·  Rating details ·  502 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
Minobu Tetsuhara, a warrior-servant of the devious Warlord Grieg Samsonov, is forced to betray his former colleague, Jaime Wolf, and Wolf's mercenary Dragoons, after the mercenaries refuse to renew their contract with Samsonov and the warlord orders their deaths.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Battletech - Wolves on the Border, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Battletech - Wolves on the Border

Joseph Thai
Jan 31, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book stands above all other Battletech novels (I know, that's not saying much). Still, it's pretty enjoyable and you don't need to know anything about the universe or the meta-plot to read it. The characters are interesting and the battles don't read like a transcript from a Battletech game. This is the only Battletech novel I would recommend to someone who isn't already a Battletech fan. If the idea of a Black space-samurai piloting a 10-meter tall walking tank sounds awesome to you, you w ...more
H.L. Reasby
Aug 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely amazing! The characters are really complex and wonderfully written. I can't recommend this book highly enough!
Olethros
-Combates al mando de un mech.-

Género. Ciencia ficción.

Lo que nos cuenta. En el libro Lobos en la frontera (publicación original: Wolves on the Border, 1988) conoceremos a Minobu Tetsuhara, caído en desgracia y destinado para servir como oficial de enlace con los mercenarios (perdón, Unidades Profesionales) de los Dragones de Wolf, un grupo que aunque ahora está en el bando del Condominio Draconis luchó contra él hace poco tiempo al servicio de la Casa Steiner. Libro que pertenece a la serie Bat
Kavinay
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm generally interested in BT for the Clans and their psycho-culture. The 3025 and Succession War campaigns generally are just grist for the Kerensky mill for me (i.e. this is why you needed Operation Revival).

That being said, Charrette's depiction of Minobu Tetsuhara is deceptively good. The novel isn't really about Wolf's Dragoons. It's actually a really good take on the noblest of Inner Sphere warriors set against the Game of Thrones style politics of the Successor Lords and pretenders. Even
Ned Leffingwell
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Wolves on the Border is a sci-book written in the Battetech tabletop game universe. Battletech features wars fought with giant robots, and if that is what you are looking for this book will not disappoint. Things this book was good at was providing great descriptions of giant robot combat and showing the politics and combat etiquette of the Battletech universe. There were chunks of the book that felt as though nothing was happening. Also, one critical event in the book is never fully explained. ...more
Marr-Randall Umali
First Battletech novel I ever read. A used copy I found in a bookstore in Saint John. Changed my life.
Eric Lawson
Dec 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Wolves on the Border appears at first look to be the story of the Wolf's Dragoons contract with the Draconis Combine. But it really is the story of Minobu Tetsuhara and his struggle between Ninjō and Giri. In Minobu's case the conflict is between his honour and the friendship he has with Jaime Wolf, and his duty to Takashi Kurita as an officer in the military.

The story slowly ramps up the tension to the ultimate climax. A few spelling mistakes in the printing near the end of the story caused an
Rocky Sunico
Apr 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: battletech
Perhaps I'm biased given my love of Japan and it's influences so this tale of the Japanese-influenced Draconis Combine and the greatest mercenary band in the Inner Sphere - Wolf's Dragoons - is a shoe-in as one of my favorite Battletech novels.

The story is rich and the description of the continuing influence of Japanese culture amidst the feudal yet technological world of the Battletech universe is amazingly well done.
Brian Turner
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Covering the period when Wolfs Dragoons were hired out to the Draconis Combine (3021 to 3028), it shows how a Kuritan warrior, Minobu Tetsuhara gets to know and befriend them, while still staying loyal to his Samurai code.

Lots of internal factions within the Kuritans, especially from the Warlord of the system and his aide who have a grudge against Tetsuhara.

Plenty of mech action, set against loyalty and duty to ones friends and rulers.

J.A.
Jun 07, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: battletech
I got this book at the FIL (Guadalajara book fair) whithout really knowing anything about BattleTech; they had 2 more books (Spanish translations of the Warrior trilogy; so 1 book missing). I just loved them; regardless that at the time were the most expensive books I had bought.
Todd A
Nov 17, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It had places that lost my attention. I put it down for a few months, went back to finish the last 1/4 of the book and really enjoyed it.

I want to see if Michi seeks his revenge.
George
Sep 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reread this book again after several years. Good introduction to the Dragoons and a great narrative on the epic battle of Misery.
Jason
Rybosomes
Mar 04, 2014
Scott
Mar 02, 2015
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
  • The Hunters (Twilight of the Clans, #3)
  • Freebirth (Twilight of the Clans, #4)
  • The Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Operation Audacity
  • Endgame
Credited on some German editions as "Robert N. Charette".
More about Robert N. Charrette...

BattleTech Universe (1 - 10 of 95 books)
  • The Sword and the Dagger (Battletech)
  • Decision at Thunder Rift (Saga of the Grey Death Legion, #1)
  • Mercenary's Star (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #2)
  • The Price of Glory (Saga of the Gray Death Legion, #3)
  • Warrior: En Garde (The Warrior Trilogy, #1)
  • Warrior: Riposte (The Warrior Trilogy, #2)
  • Warrior: Coupé (The Warrior Trilogy, #3)
  • Heir to the Dragon
  • Lethal Heritage (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #1)
  • Blood Legacy (Blood of Kerensky Trilogy, #2)