Start by marking “Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?” as Want to Read:
Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?

Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? (Jesse Bear)

4.09  ·  Rating details ·  1,959 Ratings  ·  212 Reviews

Now, the very youngest of readers can join in the fun with this Classic Board Book edition of Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear? In joyful verse and vibrant illustrations, Nancy White Carlstrom and Bruce Degen's lovable Jesse Bear shares his special day with young children everywhere!
Board Book, 32 pages
Published August 1st 1996 by Little Simon (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?

Anna
A childhood favorite of mine, especially the lunchtime pages.
Amy Buthelezi
This humorous story teaches children time and routines as a little bear goes throughout his day. I enjoyed the illustrations which depicted the various steps a child can relate to. The story also teaches clothing and body parts. The story contains rhyming words and a variety of vocabulary words, as well.
Erin Hendrian
This was one of my favorite books when I was little, and now I enjoy reading it to Beatrice. :)
Crissy
Mar 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute.
Marci
May 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joey and I loved this book. It was fun to read and Joey LOL'd repeatedly.
Emily Scanlon
Guided Reading Level: 2.5

Summary: “Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?”, follows a young cub named Jesse Bear, throughout his day as he describes the different outfits and items he wears. This book demonstrates how our bodies interact with the world around us as we change activities.

Characteristics That Support the Genre: The text alone may confuse young readers because of the use of analogies. As a result, the pictures do a wonderful job explaining what Jesse Bear means when he says, “I’ll wear th
Sterlande Altidor
Apr 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pre-k
This just might be my 4 year old son’s favorite book. The illustrations are bright and pleasing. Jesse Bear is such a delightful story. This is an excellent book. This book focuses on younger children, but is interesting and fun for all to read. It's a great book to introduce your child to the colors red and blue, the idea of a schedule for the day that consists of dressing for the day, playing, eating lunch, and taking a bath before bedtime
Meghan GTC
I love the repetition of this book, I feel like it would be easy for children to relate to the things that Jesse does during his morning routine as they probably do them as well. The use of language in this book was also easy to follow and understand. My only critique would be that the illustrations are very busy and may distract children with too many thoughts at once.
Tameka Johnson
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jitters
Great illustrations and pleasing rhyme my mother bought this book a year or to ago its defiantly a great gift for toddlers & young children. My kids wanted read this book again and again and have memorized certain parts of the book lol. I like the fact that it is available as a board book as for my youngest.
Moore, Maureen
"Jessie Bear, What Will You Wear?" by Nancy White Carlstrom is classified as juvenile fiction; targeting ages 2 and up. This book is a fun selection for discussing proper dress and clothing, bears, some cause and effect. This story is light-hearted and charming, and it offers vocabulary enrichment for emergent readers.
Fourth Grade
The book Jessie Bear what will you wear is a book based on a bear who doesn't know what to wear. Jessie's mother keeps asking what Jessie wants to wear. Jessie's mother is curious about what Jessie will wear. Although Jessie Bear what will you wear is a funny rhyming book, I really don't see the moral or lesson of the story. I wouldn't recommend this book for any children at all.
Kelly
A very sweet, relaxed story about Jesse Bear and what he wears throughout the day. But don't be fooled that the book is strictly about clothing.

It has a nice rhyming cadence and nice illustrations.
Juliana Lee
Jesse Bear chooses what he will wear in the morning, noon, and night. He chooses his red shirt, pants that dance, sand on his arm, rice in his hair, bubbles in the tub, feet on his pi's, and much more.
Viviane Elbee
Mar 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
A cute, highly creative way of describing one's daily activities... (in this case, a typical day for the young Jesse Bear).

The kids laughed when I read that Jesse Bear was going to wear a chair because he was stuck there at lunchtime.
Chelsea
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: georgia-pre-k
This book teaches parts of the body. It allows the teacher to teach the children a song using body parts. It teaches the names of different outfits, and allows the teacher to let the children talk about what they do in the morning routine.
Elisa Pereyra-Molina
Leila
Apr 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
Manal Cheikh
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ga-pre-k-books
It's a great, simple little book, beautifully rhyming story about Jesse Bear. With a little help from his mother, he chooses what clothes to wear. The story teaches children time of day and appropriate clothing for different times, and routines.
Lynn  Davidson
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a brightly illustrated, beautifully rhyming story about a happy bear cub, Jesse Bear. With a little help from his mother, he chooses what clothes to wear at different times during his day. He even wears his dreams at night. Sweet story.
Sinthia Burgos
Feb 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
A little bear tells what he wears throughout the day. He wears the sun on his legs when he goes out to play. For lunch, he wears carrots and peas, and some crunchy celery. Before bed, he wears water and bubbles that float. Children can relate to this little bear and recognize a morning routine.
Shantay Evans
I like this book because its melodic. The words rhyme and are repetitive. The book shows time of day and appropriate clothing for different times. Its also not very long which is a plus for smaller or younger children.
Marisa Severin
Oct 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming, fiction
Excellent rhyming book. I think it is ideal for young readers. The illustrations are captivating and the sentences are simple.
Marie Arie
Apr 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ga-pre-k
Awesome book of rhyming and routines. A little bear gets ready for his day with a little help. Young children would especially enjoy and be able to relate.
Antwon
This is a wonderful book for the children. It allows them to pick out what they would like to wear by the parents asking then them putting it on. Also allows them to learn about colors as well.
Holli Shipley
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: rhyming
This is a very cute rhyming book. It covers the different parts of the day and what you would do and wear. Very good illustrations, it would be easy to retell the story based off of them.
Luke
Jun 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute book about a little bear that has a lot of fun!
Morgan
Oct 13, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genre: Modern Fantasy
Recommended Grade Level: Primary

An easy read with colorful illustrations and rhymes throughout, I would use this book to talk about different times of the day and what we do during them.
Raya Sun
Dec 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love the rhyme and illustrations
Amy
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
A cute book for young kids.
Lauren  Riviere
Cute little story about a day in the life of Jesse Bear and the various activities that he does in a day. I don't really see how it would fit into a lesson but it's a nice book.
  • Ask Mr. Bear
  • Pelle's New Suit
  • Tumble Bumble
  • How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World
  • Clap Your Hands
  • Animals in Winter (Let's-Read-and-Find-Out Science. Stage 1)
  • Mrs. McNosh Hangs Up Her Wash
  • Here Are My Hands
  • Little Gorilla
  • I Know an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly
  • The ABC Bunny
Nancy White Carlstrom has written more than 50 books for children, including the Jesse Bear series with illustrator Bruce Degan.

Born the daughter of steel mill worker William J. and Eva (Lawrence) White, Nancy White Carlstrom was born in Washington, Pennsylvania, on August 4, 1948. She practiced writing poetry, enjoyed reading books like Little Women, and wanted to become a children’s book author
More about Nancy White Carlstrom

Jesse Bear (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Guess Who's Coming, Jesse Bear
  • Happy Birthday, Jesse Bear!
  • Better Not Get Wet, Jesse Bear
  • What a Scare, Jesse Bear
  • It's About Time, Jesse Bear and Other Rhymes
  • Let's Count It Out, Jesse Bear
  • How Do You Say It Today Jesse Bear
  • Where Is Christmas, Jesse Bear?
  • Climb the Family Tree, Jesse Bear!
  • Jesse Bear's Yum-Yum Crumble (Jesse Bear Board Books)

Fiction Deals

$7.49 $1.99
  • The Traveler's Gift: Seven Decisions that Determine Personal Success
  • The Little Giant of Aberdeen County
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Her Sister's Shoes (Sweeney Sisters #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • A Thousand Tomorrows (Cody Gunner, #1)
  • Shoeless Joe
  • Death in Venice
  • Blonde
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Ever After (Lost Love, #2)
  • Rescue
  • The Lords of Discipline
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Sheltering Sky
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
    $14.99 $3.99
  • Remember Tuesday Morning (9/11, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Scavenger's Daughters (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters #1)
  • Under the Udala Trees
  • The Streets Have No King
  • The Passion
    $11.00 $1.99
  • The Language of Hoofbeats
  • Not Perfect: A Novel
  • The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Seekers (Kent Family Chronicles, #3)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Half a Heart
    $4.99 $2.49
  • The Keeper of Secrets: A Novel
    $9.24 $1.99
  • A Garden of Earthly Delights (Wonderland Quartet, #1)
  • The Golden Notebook
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Life of Christ
  • The Good Mother
    $5.74 $1.99
  • The Palest Ink (Tales of the Scavenger's Daughters Prequel)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • As Close to Us as Breathing: A Novel
  • The Child in Time
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Lowcountry Stranger (Sweeney Sisters Series Book 2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Man in 3B
  • Save Me
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
  • Time Bomb
  • Heat and Light: A Novel
  • Reunion
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99
  • Stay Up With Me
  • The Loser
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Love Affairs of Nathaniel P.
    $9.99 $3.99
  • The Map and the Territory
    $8.99 $2.99
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Father's Day
  • Skeletons at the Feast
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Even Now (Lost Love, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sackett's Land: The Sacketts (Sacketts, #1)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Bright Beauty
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Intervention (An Intervention Novel)
  • Star Sand