Start by marking “My 21 Years in the White House: The Chief Butler and Maitre d'Hotel for Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower tells what he Heard and Saw” as Want to Read:

3.83  ·  Rating details ·  241 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Memoir by head butler at White House for Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman, and Eisenhower.
Hardcover, First, 236 pages
Published 1961 by Coward McCann, Inc. (first published 1960)

To ask other readers questions about My 21 Years in the White House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My 21 Years in the White House

Denise
Aug 23, 2010 rated it liked it
I started looking for this book after a friend saw the play and really enjoyed it. The book was the last memoir written before it was prohibited to write about personal experiences in the White House. This is a very tame memoir, nothing like what might be written today. It is an interesting story about how the White House ran during the 50's and 60's.
Kerry Kenney
Nov 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: white-house, memoirs
Wonderful memoir by White House butler.
nancy elliott
Nov 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History Buffs only

I enjoyed this book so much.....but I have a fondness for tradition and a love for the way things were.
Alonzo seems to me to be a man very proud of the job he did and rightly so!
I have read many books on how the White House was taken care of by these splendid and devoted people.
This was one of the best.
Pamela Tracy
Jul 03, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir
I enjoyed the book. It was easy reading and I liked how the presidents and their families were made real, quirks and all.

I'd give it a higher score if it were a little more in depth, but I also respect Fields for not dishing.

He made me wish I'd met Margaret Truman.
Laurie Evans
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy reading about people who worked in the White House, but this didn't give as much detail as the book Upstairs at the White House.
Daniel Burkeen
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

A very interesting behind-the-scenes look at the White House, as well as the lives of leaders from around the world.
Bro. Craig
Nov 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great easy read.

This book is like a little of others which give insight into the day-to-day lives of the presidents. The perspective is from one who worked there and saw with their own eyes what happened. Information like this is not going to be found in your newspapers are television. I enjoyed the first-hand accounts of those who worked there and this book is no exception. It is very interesting to hear from his point of view what he saw take place in the White House.
Susan Stitt
Jul 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biographies
An insightful read. Alonzo spent 21 years in the White House as head butler under four presidents, Hoover, Roosevelt, Truman and Eisenhower. The book is full of details from his personal journal. He was there when history happened. There are even menus to special White House events and some recipes as well.
Hannah Roache
Apr 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An Easy Read

Fascinating account of four White House families as seen from the perspective of a servant. Alonzo Fields gave an honest appraisal of the families without any rancor which was most refreshing.

Carl Roache
Jane Williams
Review. Interesting observation but a very old read. A short, historical capturing of life in The White House.

Good content; old information. Would like to see this book updated by more current observers; perhaps even a second volume.
Cindy Leslie-Forbes
Historically interesting

This book was good as far as history and who's who are concerned. Fun tidbits about the differences in the customs and quirks of each administration. The writing didn't flow however. It was a little hard to follow at times.
Diane
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Salutes to a Servant

Not many can tell a story that is his own, and share the lives of the Leaders of the United States and of the many visiting World Leaders, dignitaries, and the public. Thank you for the care and consideration of each one.
Nancy Shaffer
Mar 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I ran across this extremely old book (published in 1960) in my local library & with an interest in White House books, found it quite good. It's entirely possible I read it many years ago...
Helen Sanders
Jan 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Held my interes^

His recollections run parallel to J.B. West's books and I have enjoyed them all immensely. A very excellent read, so go read it!
Nancy J Whaley
Ok but not great

Ok not as good as other Upstairs at the White House. Wasn't a book I could wait to get to.
Robin
Jan 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography-memoir
Nice insight into behind the scenes of four presidential administrations
Margaret Slusser
Very Interesting and Readable

Easily read in half a day this book gives insight into the everyday life of the staff working in the Whitehouse. Very enjoyable.
Patricia Mills
Alonzo Fields
ALONZO FIELDS
White House Chief Butler
1931-53

Alonzo Fields was born in Lyles Station, Indiana, a small, all-black community about 120 miles east of St. Louis, Missouri. His father owned the local general store, directed a brass band (all black) that played for local events, and eventually worked in Washington, D. C. as a janitor for the Post Office Depa
More about Alonzo Fields...