Start by marking “Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2)” as Want to Read:
Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery, # 2)

Needled to Death (A Knitting Mystery #2)

3.7  ·  Rating details ·  3,456 Ratings  ·  287 Reviews
Taking a troop of tourists to Vickie Claymore's alpaca farm doesn't earn knitter Kelly Flynn a warm welcome. Instead she finds Vickie splayed out on her original hand-woven rug, her blood seeping into the design.
Mass Market Paperback, 239 pages
Published December 6th 2005 by Berkley Prime Crime Books (first published January 1st 2005)

Kate
Dec 03, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't really enjoy the first book in this series, but I figured I'd give at least the second one a try to see if they got better. Unfortunately this book is worse than the first one.

We have the return of Kelly the Whiny Knitter, amateur sleuth. She also becomes a nosy, oblivious, self-centered blabbermouth of a character, to the point that I found myself genuinely disliking her. This book gets one star.

As many others have mentioned (as did I in my review of the previous book), Kelly's fetishi
Lisa
Jan 17, 2008 rated it did not like it
Sophomoric writing style. I love knitting and mysteries, so I read two of these and started a third, but just couldn't get through it.
Christine
Nov 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozies
This is the second book in the knitting mystery series. Kelly Flynn is living in her Aunt Helen's house and becoming a part of the knitting group at the House of Lambspoon, and helping give tours at an alpaca ranch.

I thought the mystery was okay. It wasn't a must read but it wasn't horrible. The characters are fun and enjoyable to read about. I might read more in this series, but it won't be high on my list.
Ishta Mercurio
Aug 02, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommended to Ishta by: Carson
I didn't really enjoy this book. I found the main character to be pretty irritating - the constant references to her "caffeine lobe" and the "yummy" yarn just put me off. When a character is described using the exact same phrase twice on the very first page, it's the sign of either a bad editor, or an author who needs to expand her vocabulary. And there were just too many instances of people being in the right place at the right time to move the plot forward; it didn't feel natural. I really lik ...more
Julie
May 31, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: knitters and cozy mystery lovers
Shelves: mystery, from-library
Again, it was ok. Gets pretty repetitive, but the mystery was just interesting enough to keep me going. Is it bad that I find Kelly's boyfriend much less annoying than Kelly?
Robin McComas
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kept my interest

I enjoyed the mystery and wasn't completely sure "whodunit" until the end.
I also enjoyed learning more about alpacas.
The coffee addiction gets a little old and names are repeated over and over in every conversation.
I will definitely continue this series.
Dawn Michelle
Mar 15, 2010 rated it really liked it

I just LOVE these books.
They are just so fun, charming, and its like being with friends. I find these to be more believable than some of the other series' that I have been reading (re: The Peggy Lee Garden Mysteries), and the characters are so much fun and really engaging. Makes me wish I could head off to Colorado and sit, enjoying some of Eduardo's excellent coffee, in the knitting shop, listening to all these women and their lives (and maybe there, I would actually LEARN how to knit)!!

Rachel
Oct 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
Terrible!
I can't make myself read beyond 4 chapters.
1) Rottweilers called Carl don't do it for me.....cute? I don't think so
2) If you find your friend lying on their (beautiful) handmade rug with her throat cut its unlikely that you'll be cracking a joke, then dropping an annoying person in it with the police
3) As above: would you be clear sighted enough to drive people back for dinner after such an event?
4) Yes it's 'only fiction' but its extremely poor and not worth spending time on it
Alexa
Mar 03, 2007 rated it liked it
I love knitting and I love mysteries. This book is a good blend of both. It's no Agatha Christie and there aren't that many clues that you can use to help solve the mystery yourself, but it's fun and an easy read. The descriptions of the yarn shop make you itch to stitch. The free pattern patterns are a plus!
M J
Jun 17, 2008 rated it liked it
I really liked this book for what it was. Not the best book by any means, but entertaining. What really bothered me though was the ending which seemed totally out of place and made me wonder if I was missing a chapter out of the book.
Aug 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good knitting murder mystery. I do not like how the main character always figures out who the murderer is and then gets the murderer to confess to her. Why doesn't she just call the cops? I guess I just want my knitting murder mysteries to be more realistic.
Oct 28, 2007 marked it as probablywontfinish
Terrible writing, just couldn't stand to finish.
Nov 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
Have you ever tired of forcing yourself to read a book? I have held so many books on hold because I was trying to finish this book. I finally had to stop reading and finish by skim-reading. I usually race through a book, and I have had to put all my other reading list on hold because I couldn't slog through this one.

Some books just seem to deviate so dramatically from reality that you get a bit annoyed. I thought the first book in the series was okay for the most part though there were plenty o
Claudia
Dec 12, 2014 rated it did not like it
This was a genuinely terrible book. I finished it solely because my husband asked me to (long story), and I'm a sucker.

1) The mystery part is bad. The actual "plot" probably doesn't take up more than 20 pages, and a four-year-old could figure out "whodunit." There's more, but it's spoilerish; just trust me, given the circumstances under which the first victim was found, it's fall-down funny that the main character, Kelly, takes a paragraph to realize, "OMG, it must have been murder!"

2) The knit
quinnster
I like how I pick up on little knitting tricks and whatnot while reading a mystery, but there are a couple of small things that bug me about the writing in this series so far. Everyone says everyone's name so many times!

"Secretive? Sure you're not exaggerating, Kelly?"
"Not at all Burt."
(next paragraph)
"....just following procedures Kelly."
"I don't think so Burt."

And on and on like that. A quarter of the words in this book are names. No one says someone's name that many times in one conversation
Barb
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
I came in on the 14th book in this series which I found to be a pleasant, albeit uninspired mystery. I though I'd go back to the beginning as any series that lasts through 14 books must have had something going for it to last that long.

I was wrong.

Kelly the CPA isn't any more clever or charming than she appeared on my first try. The same grinding repetition about her coffee addiction, her love of softball, and her obsession with yarn color and texture have apparently been the cornerstone of this
Maddy
Feb 16, 2017 rated it liked it
It was fine.
Kristin
Jul 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This series is still fluff-fun. The main character Kelly is still learning how to knit, though she whines a lot when introduced to a new techique. There are still way to many characters coming and going from the knitting shop who all seem to have these fabulous part-time jobs which enable them to drop in and knit at a moments notice.

My biggest complaint with this one was Kelly found direct evidence to link the murderer to the victim and instead of taking the information to the police, she grabs
Nytetyger
Mar 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-challenge
Book two in the ‘Knitting Mystery’ series, and in this one, Kelly is settled down, living in her late Aunt Helen’s house, telecommuting and indulging in what reads a bit like a massive yarn fetish while still struggling with her knitting. No, really; it’s actually distracting—every time the character ends up in the knitting shop there are loving paragraphs about ‘sinking fingers into lush color’ or ‘lovingly touching skein after skein’ to the point where it’s getting damn annoying—I get it, pret ...more
KarenF
Dec 25, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, library, mystery
It's been a while since I've read the first book in this series so it took a little while to remember who was who. But it did come back to me. This is a decent little cozy, it was a quick read and the mystery kept me guessing. I have a bit of a problem warming up to these characters, especially Kelly. I don't dislike her, but I'm not really invested emotionally with what happens. One thing that cracks me up with these books is how fast the knitting goes. I think in the first book a sweater took ...more
Linda
Mar 21, 2010 rated it liked it
In my opinion, the first book of this series was better or maybe it's just that it was new to me then. I found this second book to be repetitive (how many times can one describe a caffeine craving?)and lacking in depth. It could really use more character development and less empty dialogue. Kelly, the main character is not the most likable of heroines and is quite a busy body, becoming everyone's best friend and confidant after living in the area only a short time. I liked the knitting shop sett ...more
Meg
Aug 28, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters
This is the second installment in the Knitting Mysteries series by Sefton, with the first being Knit One, Kill Two. Another ok book, good enough to keep you reading. I have some pet peaves with this series, one being an annoying persistent attention being made to her coffee addiction and the overuse of the word "morsel," among others. Most of the time, you can generally guess who the killer is in the beginning and so the surprise is lost.
Sarah Sammis
Mar 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Needled to Death by Maggie Sefton is the second in the Knitting Mystery series. Kelly Flynn is now trying to work remotely from her aunt's home in Colorado. She's becoming more and more a part of the local knitting scene, including helping to give tours of a local alpaca ranch.

Maria Elmvang
Jul 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Yes, I know I wasn't terribly impressed by the mystery part of the first one, but I loved all the knitting descriptions! So I figured that I might as well try the next one. And I believe I actually enjoyed it more, because now that I know how ridiculous the murder plot is, I can ignore that part of it, and just focus on the knitting community... and that part is just sweet :)
Jan 18, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Knitters
The 2nd book in the Knitting Mystery series.

I have to admit these are not great books. The writing is just a little weak and the characters are a little cardboard. I read them because I am obsessed with all things knitting - and since I enjoy mystery's its kind of a done deal for me. I still have hope that Kelly and the gang with flesh out and become more real in future books.
Deb
Dec 06, 2007 rated it liked it
I enjoy light mysteries and this series so far is packed with interesting info on yarn, knitting and spinning so much so that my interest in spinning has been peaked and I just ordered a drop spindle.
Colleen
Apr 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It is another quick read from Maggie Sefton. I like how she describes her characters. I am not a knitter, but am a mystery fan, so I really enjoy her writing style. I look forward to reading more from her series.
Jan 01, 2008 rated it really liked it
I am enjoying this series and plan to continue to read it. I like the relationship between Kelly and her friends and the knitting, even though I don't knit myself. I can't wait to see what will happen between Kelly and Steve.
Knitology
Aug 23, 2007 added it
Shelves: fiction, mystery
Penny
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: cosy-mystery
This is the second book in this series - and for a cosy mystery it is fun and light relief from heavier crime.

Kelly Flynn is still in Colorado after her aunt's death and has made friends in the knitting shop. Unfortunately she finds one of them dead at her alpaca ranch.

Fun and quick!
Stitchers Book Club: Stitchers meetings in 2015 2 6 Jan 14, 2015 01:13PM
  • Sins and Needles (A Needlecraft Mystery, #10)
  • Knit Fast, Die Young (Knitting Mysteries, #2)
  • Knit, Purl, Die (Black Sheep Knitting Mysteries, #2)
  • A Fatal Fleece (A Seaside Knitters Mystery, #6)
  • Dead Men Don't Crochet (Crochet Mystery, #2)
Aka Margaret Conlan

From author website:

"First, a little biographical information as introduction: Born in Richmond, VA, I grew up in Northern Virginia in Arlington, close to Washington, D.C. I attended university and received a Bachelor's degree in English Literature & Journalism, married, and started my family there. All four of my daughters are grown and established in careers of their own
More about Maggie Sefton

A Knitting Mystery (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Knit One, Kill Two (A Knitting Mystery, #1)
  • A Deadly Yarn (A Knitting Mystery, #3)
  • A Killer Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, #4)
  • Dyer Consequences (A Knitting Mystery, # 5)
  • Fleece Navidad (A Knitting Mystery, # 6)
  • Dropped Dead Stitch (A Knitting Mystery, # 7)
  • Skein of the Crime (A Knitting Mystery, #8)
  • Unraveled (A Knitting Mystery, #9)
  • Cast On, Kill Off (A Knitting Mystery, #10)
  • Close Knit Killer (A Knitting Mystery, #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• Genome (The Extinction Files #2)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Wrong Man
    $9.49 $1.99
  • What You Don't Know
    $13.99 $2.99
  • The River Is Dark (Liam Dempsey, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • When They Come for You (Harper McDaniel #1)
  • Murder at Bray Manor : a cozy historical mystery
  • Wired (Wired, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Every Single Secret
  • Name of the Devil: A Jessica Blackwood Novel
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Working Fire
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Night Crew (Sean Drummond, #7)
  • The Music of the Deep
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Adventuress (Lady Emily, #10)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Summer Children (The Collector, #3)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • The Good Twin
    $5.99 $2.99
  • An Innocent Client (Joe Dillard, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • The Speed of Sound (Speed of Sound Thrillers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Bones (Shetland Island, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Bourne Initiative (Jason Bourne, #14)
  • The Good Neighbor
  • Under an English Heaven: An Ellie Kent Mystery
  • Pretty Girls Dancing
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Swansong (DI Nick Dixon #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Have His Carcase (Lord Peter Wimsey #8)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • My Brother Michael
  • Casino: Love and Honor in Las Vegas
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Mr. Timothy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Kill Society (Sandman Slim, #9)
  • The Memory Closet
  • What Lies Below
  • Silent Child
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The World of Lore: Monstrous Creatures
  • Pleasantville
    $12.49 $1.99
  • The Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Killing Orders
  • Heirs of Grace
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Prince Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles #11)
  • Horrorstör
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Sound of Rain
  • Since We Fell
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Monkey's Raincoat (Elvis Cole, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Hidden Killers (Tennison, #2)
  • What If
  • Come Closer
  • My Best Friend's Exorcism
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Cold Granite (Logan McRae, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Private Lies (Jane Avery #1)
  • Liars, Inc.
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Death Wears a Mask (Amory Ames Mystery, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Sacred Clowns (Navajo Mysteries, #11)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Paragon Walk (Charlotte & Thomas Pitt, #3)
  • The Secret Mother