Start by marking “The Secret History Of Cults: Bizarre Rituals And Murderous Practices Revealed” as Want to Read:
The Secret History Of Cults: Bizarre Rituals And Murderous Practices Revealed

The Secret History Of Cults: Bizarre Rituals And Murderous Practices Revealed

2.42  ·  Rating details ·  103 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
From the back cover: — How do cult leaders establish intellectual, physical, spiritual and sexual control over their followers -- and what are the ends to which this is put? Read how the charismatic megalomaniacs who lead cults often pit themselves against the rest of the world, amassing weapons ahead of an apocalyptic showdown -- sometimes going on the offensive to bring ...more
Published 2009 by Magpie Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret History Of Cults, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret History Of Cults

Kathy Smith
Jun 10, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
if you love Jerry Springer with the crazy unrealistic stories. than you will love this book so so much.
I've only started to read this book, and I am not sure if I will finish it. it's not at all what I thought it was going to be and I am not enjoying the book.
I believe the author of this book, found people who would tell him what he wanted to hear.
Then presented their stories as fact, proof that the Hollywood image of covens and Satanist are in fact true.
At one point he shares a storie form
Heather
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
In The Rasputin Sect chapter, he wrote, "... although stories that he raped a lot of women seem ludicrous in the light of how many females were more than willing to submit to his advances."

I thought this was very naive, especially from a journalist.
Renee
Dec 22, 2017 rated it did not like it
This was a horrible book. Way too many spelling errors, no references/citations, and most of the chapters read like a trashy fiction novel. Would NOT recommend. I would give this 0/5 stars if I could.
we-are-the-dead
Apr 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book, I learnt a lot, didn't have a problem with how it was written, Cheap as chips too!
Crystal
Sep 19, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The author's credibility immediately became questionable when he described Charles Manson's followers being interested in "all things witchy". Being personally familiar with the subject of Manson through various media and literature accounts, this is the first I've heard of such a claim being made. Haining seems to make a lot of claims during the entirety of this book through descriptions of various cults and cult leaders that are deeply immersed in stories of sex, money, and religion.

In other
Dede
This was the worst book I've read all year. I don't even really want to write a review for it. I can summarise the book for everyone in a couple of sentences: "Cults are bad. Sex is bad. They have lots of sex and blah blah blah, SATAN IS EVERYWHERE, blah blah blah, here's some incorrect information about various cults, blah blah blah I'm just talking out of my arse." It gets one star for being so ridiculous that I just had to keep reading it.
Tola Cream
Oct 20, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, this book is very interesting but there's a trend. Most cults conjointly have this sexual link or some some sort of dance ritual.

So far the book is very interesting and not at all a boring read, reason I picked up this book is because I wanted to know who was Jim Jones.

But yes, I suggest that you read this book if your interested, about secret societies and just want to know what goes on.
Nicole Yovanoff
Jan 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I bought it for $2 and thought it could be interesting and found that most of this book could be easily found in a google search. There was very little bizarre or secret since most of the cults were from the 20th century in its last 20 years. If you read a newspaper during that time, you basically got more information than this book.
Joy Corkery
Feb 26, 2016 rated it it was ok
I found this book interesting at the start, but I really started to struggle the the time I was three quarters of the way through. It seemed as if the author was really having a hard time to find interesting cult stories. Many of the stories seemed repetitive. There were a lot of typos in the book as well, which really turned me off, as well overuse of the dash which nearly drove me mad.
Jage
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
there were quite a few spelling and grammar mistakes throughout the whole book and the writing was alright but the case studies were fascinating.

This felt more like a primer to give you a quick look at some of the more infamous cults around the world but there's no real depth to it.
Janitag
Apr 15, 2013 rated it did not like it
I thought this would be interesting, but it wasn't. Took me ages to read and almost gave up a couple of times.

Too Wikipedia for me and no real depth. The author is really unreasonable and dumb. CHRIST.

Michelle
Aug 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
It has been a few years since I tried reading this book and though at times it was strange and intriguing, I obviously didn't like it enough to keep reading and I am now purging myself from it and off my shelf.
Sarah Portelli
Jan 22, 2016 rated it did not like it
Couldn't get past page 18 as this book is so dull, boring & badly written
Jenny Spence
An interesting read albeit a sad and depressing one.

There were far to many "typos" to validate credibility as well as no bibliography, which the English major in me revolted at.
Lee Crucefix
May 03, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015, non-fiction
poorly written and poorly delivered. the writer has come in with complete bias, which is a no noin factual writing.
Skye
Jun 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting- though I would say it lost steam for me after the first two chapters.
Horrifying acts, beliefs and astounding recounts of how cults come about.
Yue
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book leads me to a...cults'world and the darkness of human believes ...CANT believe they actually had a Satanism and teenagers like me keen to join in...
Julie
Mar 23, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Just a meh type of book. I was hoping it would delve more deeply into cults, but it just skimmed the surface. Writing wasn't too great either, and it distracted me.
Amanda Muffin
Steph
rated it did not like it
Aug 07, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Peter Alexander Haining (April 2, 1940 – November 19, 2007) was a British journalist, author and anthologist who lived and worked in Suffolk. Born in Enfield, Middlesex, he began his career as a reporter in Essex and then moved to London where he worked on a trade magazine before joining the publishing house of New English Library.

Haining achieved the position of Editorial Director before becoming