Start by marking “A Glossary of Literary Terms” as Want to Read:
A Glossary of Literary Terms

A Glossary of Literary Terms

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  779 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
First published fifty years ago, A GLOSSARY OF LITERARY TERMS remains an essential text for all serious students of literature. Now fully updated to reflect the latest scholarship on recent and rapidly evolving critical theories, the tenth edition contains a complete glossary of essential literary terms presented as a series of engaging essays that explore the terms, place ...more
Published January 10th 2011 by Wadsworth Publishing (first published 1957)

To ask other readers questions about A Glossary of Literary Terms, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glossary of Literary Terms

Nikoleta
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: about-literature
Εξαιρετικό. Έχει τους λογοτεχνικούς όρους σε αλφαβητική σειρά, και δεν εξηγεί απλώς τον κάθε έναν από αυτούς, αλλά παρουσιάζει την γέννηση του κάθε όρου στην ιστορική του εποχή, την εξέλιξη ή μεταβολή του στο πέρασμα του χρόνου (όταν αυτή υπάρχει) και αναλύει την σημασία του με παραδείγματα. Έμαθα χωρίς να δυσκολευτώ, και χωρίς να χάσω στιγμή το ενδιαφέρον μου, αντιθέτως αυτό μεγάλωνε με την κάθε σελίδα.
Traveller
Jan 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-reading
I had to buy this book for some class many many moons ago, and I thought it would be old hat by now, what with it sitting gathering dust on the shelf over the years.

Surprisingly, though, after thinking I was just going to refresh my memory on little morsels like adynaton, hypozeugma, and all the many convoluted methods of scansion, I actually ended up spending more time with it than I had intended, led on by its interesting background commentary.

What makes it nice, is that it is more than just a
Lit Bug
One of the best books available for a swift but meaningful study of every new term you can find in the academic study of English literature. Brief, to-the-point, clear and intelligible - it is a rich book for everyone seeking to systematically understand English literature.
Mike Puma
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lit majors & lit crit readers
Shelves: lit-crit
Indispensable. While I usually refer to Harmon & Holman first (A Handbook to Literature), I come back to this volume for more depth. Collectively, they make a great pair.
Nidhi Singh
Jul 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lit-theory
Due to lack of time I had decided to do a selective study, but Abrams lured me into reading the whole of it.
Sadia Mansoor
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature
A useful & handy guide for every lit student ^_^

David
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
The "read" status I've given this book is purely for convenience: it is one that anyone who enjoys the nuts and bolts of literature as much as the actual product should always have on hand, whether to help answer a specific question, satisfy a vague curiosity, or use lucky dip style to discover something new about literature, and, by extension, the world.

This book represents a body of knowledge approached and collated by the same scholar, making for a compact, easily accessible, and, best of all
Hosein
This book has gathered literary terms of English language in one place successfully. Those students who wants to give English literature exam should get prepared with the help of this book. I can't say this is great since this was the only reference I had in my hand recommended by my fellow friend who had got his Master degree the mentioned field.
Roya
Nov 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I can't believe I'm actually done with this monster of a book. Didn't exactly love it, but learned from it so much, so incredibly much. I don't currently feel like discussing it or whatever; when you finish reading something like this, all you feel like doing is DANCING. So that's what I'm gonna do.
Ruby
Over-elaborate where it should be more concise, too concise where more explanation would be appreciated.
  • The Penguin Dictionary of Literary Terms and Literary Theory
  • Modern Criticism and Theory: A Reader
  • The Little, Brown Handbook, APA Update [with CD]
  • Literary Theory: An Introduction
  • The Well Wrought Urn: Studies in the Structure of Poetry
  • Shakespeare A to Z: The Essential Reference to His Plays, His Poems, His Life and Times, and More
  • 501 French Verbs: Fully Conjugated in All the Tenses and Moods in a New Easy-To-Learn Format, Alphabetically Arranged
  • The New Princeton Encyclopedia of Poetry and Poetics
  • Poems, Poets, Poetry: An Introduction and Anthology
Meyer Howard Abrams is an American literary critic, known for works on Romanticism, in particular his book The Mirror and the Lamp. In a powerful contrast, Abrams shows that until the Romantics, literature was usually understood as a mirror, reflecting the real world, in some kind of mimesis; but for the Romantics, writing was more like a lamp: the light of the writer's inner soul spilled out to i ...more
More about M.H. Abrams...