Start by marking “Alien Landscapes” as Want to Read:
Alien Landscapes

Alien Landscapes

Alien worlds have always been a central excitement in science fiction. Imaginary landscapes, some surreal, others realistic, are highly important to the novels in which they are contained. Many of these worlds are carefully contructed, realistically detailed and vividly imagined.

Alien Landscapes explores ten of the best-known worlds with a detailed text explaining their hi
Published November 1st 1979 by W.H. Smith Publishers (first published 1979)

To ask other readers questions about Alien Landscapes, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alien Landscapes

F.P.
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was the very first book I ever bought, from one of the Waldenbooks chain stores. I was a kid with no money then. I saved up for months so I could afford to buy this because I had fallen in love with it at first sight! (How could I not love the fabulous cover-art image especially?)

Many years later, I've been re-viewing and re-reading it--and finding it just as awesome as it was to me back then. I wish there were many more books like it, only they seem hard to come by, especially now.

But Alie
Andrew
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although not officially a Paper Tiger publication I still consider it one. It takes the subject of some of the most famous and well loved science fiction stories and looks at their most iconic locations - from Dune's Arrakis to Foundations Trantor and the worlds of the Time Machine. They are lavishly rendered in this full colour large format book. Now I will admit that not all the artwork is to my liking but it does bring these stories to life and from there (well at least for me) it brings my i ...more
Josh
Sep 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, science-fiction
This is an oversize collection of stunning artwork and fun descriptions of a handful of notable sci-fi worlds, written non-fictionally, like a giant travel guide and as though they all exist in the same universe. Lots of fun features like a huge galactic timeline, a fake newspaper from Trantor, references from the Encyclopedia Galactica.

I was flipping through my copy of this book again and thought I should check it in on Goodreads because I love is so darn much. I grew up with this in the house
Feliks
Jun 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: immature-choices
Its a superb, large-format, glossy, coffee-table art book filled with artist's renderings of famous SF literary 'worlds'. Very powerful and entrancing to flip through. A must-have for any fans of 'Dune'; 'Pern'; 'Earthsea'; 'Pern'; etc

Here are the 'worlds' depicted:

Ringworld (Niven)
Trantor (Asimov)
Hothouse (Aldiss)
Eros (Harry Harrison)
End of the World (HG Wells)
Judity
Aug 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
I own many art books related to science fiction, a favorite genre of mine since childhood. In this book, I get to see the Okie Cities, something I could only imagined when reading "Cities in Flight" by James Blish.

This book is filled with pictures of other worlds, both beautiful and bizarre. I feel like a child again when I go through this book once again.
Bracton
Aug 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This art book had a huge influence on me growing up. Probably turned me into a SFF fan. I read every single book that it referenced.
Matteo
Dbdude99
Mar 20, 2015
Raja99
Sep 22, 2007
Robert Paul Holdstock was an English novelist and author who is best known for his works of fantasy literature, predominantly in the fantasy subgenre of mythic fiction.

Holdstock's writing was first published in 1968. His science fiction and fantasy works explore philosophical, psychological, anthropological, spiritual, and woodland themes. He has received three BSFA awards and won the World Fantas