Start by marking “The Hiram Key” as Want to Read:
The Hiram Key

The Hiram Key

(The Hiram Key #1)

s/t: Pharaohs, Freemasonry & the Discovery of the Secret Scrolls of Jesus
When the authors, both Masons, set out to find the origins of the Freemasonry they had no idea they would find themselves unraveling the true story of Jesus Christ and the original Jerusalem Church. Their startling and unexpected conclusions are presented here--backed by rigorous analyses of ancie
Published August 1st 2001 by Fair Winds Press (first published May 1996)

To ask other readers questions about The Hiram Key, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Hiram Key

Chris
Jul 20, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
the authors are both masons and amateur historians who have done quite a bit of research. However, the more amazing the claim, the more proof is required. This book should have had at least 20 pages of bibliography of primary and secondary source material, along with an 'Additional reading" section if it wants to be taken seriously. There was no bibliography of any kind, and what references the authors make as the basis for their claims were done using footnotes throughout the text, without so m ...more
Alice
Mar 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this at an interesting period of my life where things I know I no longer know if I know for sure. This book only added to questions I have about life, God, and what we really know about history.

Although, the purpose of the book is to show the lineage of the Masonic order, which it does convincingly, it also discusses iconic biblical figures such as Abraham, Moses, Joseph, and, extensively, Jesus. This book illustrates these acnient figures, who I have been taught to revere and resepect,
Tyler Anderson
Mar 02, 2009 rated it it was ok
If you're looking to see where Dan Brown stole all of his dim-witted bulls#!t from for that debacle of a book that has wasted more paper than the IRS, read this book! I give it two rather than one star, because at least it's a hoot to read. But these guys have absolutely no grasp of any structure for research or historical method, and it jumps from one completely hapless and misguided "ergo" to the next. Air is 21% oxygen, ergo Freemasonry was formulated by ancient Egyptians. You get the idea.

I
J.P. Ashman
May 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I just love being able to read about such subjects when other people have gone to great lengths to research ;-)
Mike
Feb 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Stunning revelations! Really enjoyed it!
Judith
Jun 12, 2018 rated it liked it
Quite an interesting historical look at religious, and ancient rites that may/may not represent the origins of Free Masonry. Starting in ancient Egypt they would find something similar to their ritual and immediately decide the similarity PROVED their origin theory. Definitive proof takes much more than I was offered in this book-- start to finishGood read, great pictures, but not the book thr authors claim they wrote.
Rafael
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: occult
This book is very interesting and of very entertaining and agile reading. The authors know the art to express their ideas in a simple, straightforward and compelling way. You could almost say that it reads like an adventure novel.
They present theories very consistent and logical at first glance about several mysteries such as:
-The origin of Masonic rites dating back to ancient Egypt more than 3,000 years ago.
-The legend of the murder of the temple of Solomons builder, Hiram Abif, is based on
Anthony Schwartz
Oct 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a great book which touched on so many subjects that ultimately made me feel almost overwhelmed. The information came in like bullets, 'there is a second jesus', 'the shroud is from a templar' etc.
Though, most of the book is based on the imaginary connection between 2,000 years of symbolism. The biggest mistake that they make in my view is that over time, symbolism, even if held in strict hidden social societies, has been consistent to them. This is by far the truth. Sure symbolism can
Rubberboots
Mar 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
This a non-fiction book about research done on the history of Free-Masons - which really takes you back to early civilization. There are some interesting bits but by and large, the writing is atrocious (for a non-fiction / research / history book). Very difficult to follow, to understand and digest the information presented.
Stephen Hergest
Aug 05, 2017 rated it liked it
The Hiram Key, by Freemasons Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, is a work of speculative non-fiction in the tradition of Michael Baigent and Richard Leigh’s The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail (which though uncredited, likely inspired Dan Brown’s The Da Vinci Code). It documents their quest to discover the answers to two mysteries of Masonic ritual: the nature of the “lost secrets of Freemasonry,” and the identity of Hiram Abif, whose assassination and resurrection figures significantly in their ...more
Andrew Shaw
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Exceptional piece of work. Sadly so much information has been lost but it helped me understand why we do the things we do in the Lodge.
Laura Weakley
Jan 05, 2012 rated it liked it
For a book which continually touts its scholarship, well... if it was turned in as High School Thesis, I would give it an F. There were many mistakes made, and not even close to enough references as to where information came from. This is because not only did the authors make a lot of conjectures, but they also were not logical assumptions. Funny how throughout the book, they keep writing about how they asked others if their conjectures were logical, and how they did a lot of research.
I marked
John Szalasny
May 17, 2016 rated it liked it
As a novel, it's more a four star book. As a book that has claims to historical research, it's a two star book. The dichotomy of the ratings is entirely based on the lack of documentation - footnotes are rare, and usually not from a scholarly source (one, for example, comes from the guide book for Roslyn Chapel) . The authors, however, present a plausible explanation for the foundations and rituals of Freemasonry.

Their research takes them back through Biblically recorded Judeo-Christian history
Steve Cran
Jul 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading this one. The book starts off with the authors tryign to figure out the origins of masonry and the rituals there in. Thier journey takes them back through time all the way to Egypts when the Hebrews were still slaves in Egypt. Apparentally Sequenare the Pharoah of Thebes during Hyskso occupation had the secret ritual that officailly made one king of Egypt. Appophis sent some to geet the secret from him but Sequenare would not budge. He was killed. Later Masonic ritual depicts t ...more
Kelly Feldcamp
Dec 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: freemasonry
Am interesting read. Knight and Lomas weave a convincing "history" of freemasonry starting with Ancient Egypt, through King Solomon's Temple, to Jesus Christ, through the Knights Templar and on to modern Freemasonry, with plenty of more stops along the way.
In reality, the "history " they weave is built on a great deal of speculation, combined with hints at evidence. Like many pseudo-historians, however, they mistake evidence for proof. Many of their threads can easily have gone in other directi
James
Mar 15, 2009 rated it liked it
The author's take the freemasons and the origins of things like the Knights Templar and put together a conspiracy theory that is interesting. Despite this, their arguments lack proof. The proof they do provide is sketchy and not completely verifiable. They also paint their ideas to seem like fact when they need to do a better job of pointing out that this is just a thought, belief , idea, theory that they developed. They paint a different picture of Jesus as " one of the pillars of the qumran ch ...more
Chris Craddock
What? No Rosicrucians? Also no Atlantis, but all the other occult and secret societies were checked off: The Essenes. The Gnostics. The Shroud of Turin. Francis Bacon. Isaac Newton. James, Brother of Jesus. Thomas, Twin of Jesus. Joseph, son of Jacob. Ezekiel. Origen. Bishop Clement of Alexandria. Constantinople. Moses. Jethro. Jacques De Molay and the Knights of Templar. George Washington. Benjamin Franklin. Abraham. The Egyptians. The Sumerians. Mesopotamia.
Actually, really a lot of good info
David Nicol
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: People who wear tinfoil hats
I read this book a while back. The story and investigation are quite interesting but the so called Hiram Key? (view spoiler) ...more
Arnaldo Ibarrientos
Mar 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I read this because a mentor/friend in Freemasonry, many years ago, had a tendency of throwing this book across the room since it showed a few "secrets". It's an okay read, nothing too special. The "secrets" can be easily googled, but there's more to Masonry than what's in this book. But the fraternal brotherhood, all the benefits (along with the politics and drama) are exclusive to the brethren and each lodge. Freemasonry had a hand in shaping history behind the scenes (which not many people kn ...more
Michal Gregor
Aug 06, 2012 rated it did not like it
I am happy to say that I have seldom read anything as stupid as this. To this day I feel rather sorry for supporting the authors by buying this rubbish of theirs. Their argument is quite ridiculous, inconsistent, contradictory and unsupported by any evidence whatsoever.

That being said, you may find reading this rather entertaining if you happen to enjoy Däniken, Arnošť Vašíček, Ivo Benda and similar geniuses.
Ann444
Jun 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Although I found the book tedious at tunes due to the very detailed research, and skipped to the end of the chapter conclusions, it pulled together many ideas I had from contemplating past readings. The authors are not professional researchers and I sometimes disagreed with their conclusions, but I admire their hard work and how well they pulled together a vast amount of ideas and information.
Organized religion has deliberately deceived it followers; this read can be a real eye opener even if yo
Niccolai
Sep 13, 2017 rated it liked it
I'd categorize it as Alternative History.
A lot of the time the authors say "this is speculation" and then use that as the basis for their next 'logical conclusion'. The style isn't entertaining enough to have this be a purely for pleasure read but it was interesting information even if you have to take it with more than a few grains of salt.
I wish there was more in text citation and diagrams/images.
Makhosonke Collin
Feb 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Makhosonke by: no one
Karim Koussa
It is not as I have expected. I was hoping to read something about Hiram Abiff, the Phoenician Architect, but the book turned out to show a theory that is highly unacceptable about Hiram by identifying him as Egyptian! The 2nd disappointment is that it shows that Jesus was a political leader in an orthodox Jewish entourage (the Qumran Community) who was set to rebel by the sword against the Jewish temple of Jerusalem rather than a Spiritual Savior to all mankind.
Hugh Evans
Oct 31, 2012 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book, not an easy read, but marvelous and extremely important. Those who have read the Bible and wondered what on earth (or heaven) had been going on, can enjoy a reasoned, plausible explanation. Those that want to see the light and be informed rather than faithfully follow should read this book. Probably more enlightening for non-Masons and useful to debunk negative myths about Freemasonry.
Farrah
Mar 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book for anyone who is interested in Freemasonry and alternative views of Christian rituals. It sort of like the DaVinci Code, but instead of DaVinci's paintings, the answers lie in the rituals of the Freemasons. Warning- they make some leaps with their connections, but that's to be expected, right. Makes you think and question your assumptions about religion- good for discussion.
Dick
Mar 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was an early book - for me - on the history of the craft, written by Chris Knight. I got to know Chris through this book. We have over time, traded a number of emails. This book traces the craft - with several leaps of faith and "fact pointing" to the Egyptians and the pyramids. This book has been signed by Chris Knight.
Misha
Read sometime in the late 90s. At the time, I found it a fascinating deconstruction of the history of freemasonry, linking the society to ancient Egypt, Jesus Christ and the Knights Templar, including a bonus explanation for the Shroud of Turin. It really appealed to my inner conspiracy freak. But ultimately I think it's a work of fiction.
Alexander
Dec 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing
All of Lomas and Knight's books are excellent. They give you a hypothesis, they expound upon it and they leave the decision to believe it or not up to you.

I learned a lot about ancient history just in the this book. I highly recommend this book to anyone curious about the past and how what happened back then may have manifested itself through the ages.
William
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fortean-stuff
Christopher Knight and Robert Lomas, both Masons, set out to find the origins of Freemasonry and ended up at Rosslyn.

An interesting study of the history of Freemasonry, but they allow their speculations to get more than a bit wild.

Nice pictures of the inside of the chapel though.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• The Temple and the Lodge
  • Born in Blood: The Lost Secrets of Freemasonry
  • Bloodline of the Holy Grail: The Hidden Lineage of Jesus Revealed
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • The Message of the Sphinx: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • In Paul Klee's Enchanted Garden
  • Turning the Hiram Key: Rituals of Freemasonry Revealed
  • Maps of the Ancient Sea Kings: Evidence of Advanced Civilization in the Ice Age
  • The Templar Revelation: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ
  • Freemasons For Dummies
  • The Meaning of Masonry
  • The Atlantis Blueprint: Unlocking the Ancient Mysteries of a Long-lost Civilization
  • The Christ Conspiracy: The Greatest Story Ever Sold
  • The Complete Costume History / Vollständige Kostümgeschichte / Le Costume Historique
  • Serpent in the Sky: The High Wisdom of Ancient Egypt
  • A New Encyclopaedia of Freemasonry (Ars Magna Latomorum) And of Cognate Instituted Mysteries: Their Rites, Literature and History (Combined Edition: Two ... Rites Literature and History/2 Volumes in 1)
  • Maya Cosmogenesis 2012: The True Meaning of the Maya Calendar End-Date
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
Christopher Knight, born in 1950, has worked in marketing, advertising, and public relations. He joined the Freemasons in 1976 and grew interested in studying their rituals and history, which led to Knight writing the bestselling The Hiram Key. He has continued his study of rituals through time.

The Hiram Key (7 books)
  • The Second Messiah
  • Uriel's Machine
  • The Book of Hiram
  • Turning the Hiram Key: Rituals of Freemasonry Revealed
  • Turning the Solomon Key
  • Turning the Templar Key: The Secret Legacy of the Knights Templar & the Origins of Freemasonry