Start by marking “Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther” as Want to Read:
Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  588 Ratings  ·  90 Reviews
Youth culture expert Vicki Courtney gives moms straight talk about keeping the lines of communication open and honest with their daughters from cradle to college.
Published May 27th 2014 by Not Avail (first published January 1st 2008)

Be the first to ask a question about Five Converstations You Must Have with Your Dauther

Lee Fleming
I didn't realize this was written by some evangelical lady but the first couple of chapters were good. Let me save you the time of reading it and summarize the main points I got out of it:

1) Fashion magazines are like drugs or alcohol for your daughter's self-image

2) Be flexible on some rules but not on having your daughter dress immodestly

3) Don't let your daughter date unless in a large group until late high school

4) Encourage your daughter to be healthy, not skinny

5) Help your daughter see th
Nicole Pramik
Five Conversations You Must Have with Your Daughter by Vicki Courtney is a parenting book that offers advice on how to broach common topics affecting young girls and teens such as body image, music, and romance. Though this is marketed as a Christian resource, readers can still take away some very general advice even if they don’t prescribe to the Christian faith.

I suppose I should begin by explaining why I read a book like this in the first place as I (at least as of this posting) am not marrie
Alisha Hanson-Glatzel
The title should be Five CHRISTIAN Conversations You Must Have with Your Good CHRISTIAN Daughter.

Warning: If you are a "Godly" person and you can handle being constantly assaulted with all the talk about God, bible verses, modesty, purity and you are a total prude with a need to control every move your child makes - you will probably like this. I would venture to assume that if your daughter has the ability to think for herself, she won't tolerate this kind control over her life once she hits he
Ruth
Jun 27, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate that these are important conversations that Christian mothers should have with their daughters, but I'm a little sad that the need for a book like this is so great. Having taught high school for a dozen years, I'm aware that even in loving Evangelical homes, girls are not being adequately prepared for the emotional mangler that awaits many of them them when they grow up. I'd add a sixth conversation to this list, though, since in her chapter on preparing a daughter for potential mar ...more
Kari Olfert
3.5.
I really liked the concept of five conversations but I found the author to be super preachy and I get it, she's a minister and perfection and the God path arenthe only ones she can promote but I actually found it TOO lecturery. I had to make myself finish it because it's like one ginormous parenting lesson, one where if you're anything like me you've already failed every point she's trying to make. There's no grey area, either 100% or 23%.
This book would have been great if it was based on
Renee
Aug 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This could have been written in five sentences.
Rebecca
I read this book in preparation for a few days away with my oldest daughter. It gave me lots to think about and was very helpful in preparing for the dialogue with we will have together in the coming years.
Acarrawa
Practical, helpful, encouraging.
Katrina
more anxiety provoking than helpful, though there were helpful parts.
Iola
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five Conversations is full of sensible, biblical advice backed up by extensive social and medical research, and relevant quotes from the Bible. The author also reassures us that “God is more than enough to make up for my parenting insufficiencies along the way”. She makes it clear that the five conversations referred to in the title are not one-off conversations, but ongoing life lessons, to be modelled and reinforced at any available ‘teachable moment’. The five conversations are:

1 You Are More
IrenesBookReviews
Five Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter is a very informative book. The author, Vicki Courtney, is honest about subjects we need to broach with our young girls. She also highlights areas we need to watch in our relationship with our daughters to keep them wanting to talk with us about what is happening in their lives. Her major sources of advice come from verses in the Bible. She stresses that we need to keep these Biblical principles as the guidelines for steering our daughters’ in ...more
Mandy J. Hoffman
Vicki Courtney has written a wonderful resource for mothers. 5 Conversations You Must Have With Your Daughter is full of encouraging advice about how to approach the tough topics with your daughter at each stage of her growing up years. She not only shares her advice, but her experiences - both good and bad, and information from a lot research that helps you understand the battle we are facing as women.

While I personally do not agree with absolutely everything Vicki wrote (mostly technique or a
Brandy Painter
Jul 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Vicki Courtney has a lot of helpful and important things to say about the subjects she covers in this book and it is very clear that she is a mom who is engaged with the reality of the modern world.

In short the five conversations involve:
1. You are more than the sum of your parts.
2. Don't be in such a hurry to grow up.
3. Sex is great and worth the wait.
4. It's OK to dream about marriage and motherhood.
5. Girls gone wild are a dime a dozen-dare to virtuous.

Each section contains an overview of eve
Gina Hott
Oct 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Are you a mother? Grandmother? Aunt? Father? Teacher? Coach?
Then I’d suggest you read this book. As everyone knows, girls are absolutely different than anything you’ve ever dealt with — even if you were one yourself. Because of the culture that we have today there is a very slim margin for error in handling situations or even conversations with girls and young ladies.

Take some time to learn the facts and some great insight into the lives and hearts of our next generation.

Hott Review:

A while back
DeAnna
Mar 27, 2013 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
This book was received from the publisher for review via Netgalley.

As the mom of three daughters, this seemed like the perfect book for me, and I really liked the description. However, the execution just didn’t work for me.

I got to 40% before I just couldn’t read anymore. The overall idea of 5 Conversations was pretty good, but reading it just frustrated me. I found the chapters and explanations to be repetitive. Also, I’m not hugely religious, so the huge focus on God, Christian friends, Christ
Sarah Hyatt
Oct 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I downloaded this thinking I could blog my story of hatereading this book with a toddler since, apparently, she and I must have these conversations. But this book is vile. Mean, almost spiteful in its commentary about culture/readers/young women, and somehow managing to be both prudish and vulgar. One gets the uncomfortable feeling that the author enjoys both her righteous indignation about all aspects of popular culture, from Britney Spears to MP3 players (which, for the record, you do not UPLO ...more
Carrie Daws
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Mrs. Courtney very candidly talks about some of the key issues facing our daughters (and sons) today. She reviews the message popularly shared with our teens, and then breaks down each issue with outside research and her own experience in raising her daughter and counseling teen girls, adding in passages from the Bible as appropriate. This combination of research, experience and Scripture are an wonderful mix to prepare parents to talk with their children.

While the statistics are alarming, Mrs.
Hypia Sanches
E-book provided by NetGalley.

Parts of this book are EXACTLY identical to blocks of text from "5 Conversations You Must Have with Your Son". And my reviews for both will be similar too.

Three stars because I enjoyed reading this one more, probably because I'm a daughter, but for me it had the same issues: 1. "Misogynistic" doesn't even begin to describe how awfully prejudiced lots of poor generalizations here are. 2. Too many arguments based on religion. 3. Like in "5 Conversations You Must Have w
Melissa
*Five Conversations... with Your Daughter* is a Christian-based how-to guide on raising daughters in a worldly atmosphere. In this day and age, traditional values have fallen by the wayside as girls and young women are bombarded with social media, peer pressure and multimedia approval of scandalous behavior and appearance. Because parents these days were also raised in a similar environment (think Cosmo magazine), it has become more difficult to raise well behaved and conservative children. This ...more
Brenda
Jan 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read for mothers of daughters!

This book is a must read for mothers of daughters. Although some parts may seem judgemental, the book shows the harsh realities of the lies young women believe and how as moms we can teach our daughters truth.

The only part of the book that I wish was clearer, or more grace was given, is to the single woman who has not chosen to delay marriage/children and who wants to be a wife/mother but has just been given the opportunity. And more grace for women who did n
Sarah K
Yikes. Good information, lots of sources and biblical backgroud, but really hits you over the head. It's good, but maybe just not the book I was looking for. I read all but the last 60 pages, I just couldn't do it. If there are conversations I need to have with my kids (specifically my two wonderful daughters) I was hoping to see some guidelines into starting the tough conversations or questions to get the conversations started or homework for me to prompt me in communicating or conversation sta ...more
Annemarie
Jul 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book held some solid advice on raising our girls in todays world. I think there is something to be said for teaching our girls to be virtuous.. To let them know that they are beautifully made and are uniquely designed creations of God. I got to spend a couple of months with some other wonderful women using this book as our focus of study and it truly opened our eyes to the level of which our own parenting influence is needed (even more than when they were just babies) as our girls grow into ...more
Stephanie
Jul 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great resource for all moms to read and keep on their shelves. The tone of the book made me feel like I was sitting at coffee with a seasoned mom who has done her research, sought God's wisdom through the Bible and prayer, and shares her experiences candidly. I appreciate that there are tips for three different stages of development - 5 and under, 6 to 12, and 12 and over - which help equip moms to have these conversations at each stage or to jump in at whatever stage you daughter is currently i ...more
Sualen
Oct 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Five conversations is a great read for anyone with or planning on having children. It has great advice backed up by scientific evidence to affirm the Bibles teachings. I wish my mother would've came to me with half of what I've read. Whether Christian or not, this opens helps to give you a few points to touch on in opening the dialogue with your children & even though it's geared towards daughters you find yourself wanting to bring some of this up towards your sons.
Mary
Sep 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was very insightful and gave me a lot to think about - and work on. It's an incredibly hard world out there to raise a daughter with virtue and dignity and cannot be done without God's influence and help. Even if you read the book without wanting the religious aspects of it, it is worth the read. It will open your eyes to how our culture is effecting our daughters and how to combat that.
Mary
Aug 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one to purchase and keep as a reference. I highly recommend it for anyone who has a girl. These are conversations that you begin when your daughter is very young, and they continue until she is out of the house. The depth of the conversations will change as your daughter ages. Many points are things you already know but I certainly needed to reminded to look for ways to incorporate them into our daily lives.
Stella
Jun 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All Mom's with Daughters
Read once...Then went through Bible Study with Daughter!
It exposed the Lies that the Culture fills our children and even us as parents with.
It shows girls how to face every day issues in a Godly manner, and how to talk about what she needs with her mom.
It gives you the toos to face the critical issues frin the cradle to college.
I would not have missed this time with my daughter.

Not listed, but I also have the 5 conversations....Bible Study ISBN 9781415867341
Denice
Mar 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. Author is not lds, but she is Christian and she talks about all the things we teach our youth in our church. I was happy to hear that great values are being taught beyond my own little circle. More mama's need to read this. And then have those crucial convos with their daughters (and sons!)
May 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a mother of 2 girls ages 8 and 9, there will be difficult, but much needed conversations along the way. While we all have our own parenting styles, this book gives me some thought into approaching subjects that I want to talk to my girls about with the hope of somewhat saving them from the lies of culture.
Maria Connor
Oct 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an amazing, current book, filled with distressing (but true) statistics about girls and the pressures they face in our culture. Great advice and wisdom about how to have open communication with your daughters about these topics. I know I will read this multiple times as my girls grow.
  • Raising A Modern Day Princess
  • Six Ways to Keep the "Little" in Your Girl: Guiding Your Daughter from Her Tweens to Her Teens
  • The Ministry of Motherhood: Following Christ's Example in Reaching the Hearts of Our Children
  • Creative Correction: Extraordinary Ideas For Everyday Discipline
  • Instructing a Child's Heart
  • Don't Make Me Count to Three
  • Age of Opportunity: A Biblical Guide to Parenting Teens (Resources for Changing Lives)
  • Hope For The Weary Mom
  • Bringing Up Girls: Practical Advice And Encouragement For Those Shaping The Next Generation Of Women
  • Near To The heart Of God
  • How to Really Love Your Child
  • Parenting in the pew : guiding your children into the joy of worship
  • Life Management for Busy Women: Living Out God's Plan with Passion & Purpose
  • The Love Dare for Parents
  • Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
  • Family Driven Faith: Doing What It Takes to Raise Sons and Daughters Who Walk with God
  • Everyday Talk: Talking Freely and Naturally about God with Your Children
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
Vicki Courtney is a speaker and the author of numerous books and Bible studies. For more information, check out her author page at www.VickiCourtney.com.
More about Vicki Courtney...

Nonfiction Deals

• Death by Living: Life Is Meant to Be Spent
    $4.99 $1.99
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Decisive: How to Make Better Choices in Life and Work
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
    $14.99 $2.99
  • The Other Wes Moore: One Name, Two Fates
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Bobby Kennedy: The Making of a Liberal Icon
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Tao of Bill Murray: Real-Life Stories of Joy, Enlightenment, and Party Crashing
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Prince Charles: The Passions and Paradoxes of an Improbable Life
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Funny In Farsi: A Memoir Of Growing Up Iranian In America
    $7.99 $1.99
“It seems to me that if God felt it best to delay marriage into the latter part of your twenties, He would also see fit to delay the hormonal urge to want to have sex. Or perhaps it was never His intent to delay marriage in an effort to "become more independent," "enjoy singlehood," and "build our careers.” 1 likes
“What it means: The world focuses on what people look like on the outside. God focuses on what people look like on the inside. Do you put more time and effort into being pretty on the outside or the inside? As you get older, you will meet Christian girls who spend more time trying to find the perfect outfit, get the perfect tan, find the perfect lip gloss, and have the perfect body. While there's nothing wrong with wanting to look pretty, we need to make sure it's in balance. God would rather see us work on becoming drop-dead gorgeous on the inside. You know, the kind of girl who talks to Him on a regular basis (prayer) and reads her Bible.” 1 likes