Start by marking “Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media” as Want to Read:
Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media

Water Paper Paint: Exploring Creativity with Watercolor and Mixed Media

This book is not only for "painters" but for all types of creative individuals who want to experience and play with watercolor, whether their background is mixed-media, textile art, journaling, or paper craft. Unlike the typical watercolor textbooks, this unique, beautiful volume is a field book of inspiration, creative ideas, how to's, and projects, all from an artist's p ...more
Published January 1st 2011 by Quarry Books

To ask other readers questions about Water Paper Paint, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Paper Paint

Chris
This had some good information about color theory and I'm going to actually try several of the projects from this one!
Marie Z. Johansen
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I have found myself wanting to use watercolors in my work but have little to no experience in how to use them. Anybody can put paint and water to paper but to make it interesting can be another whole thing. I wanted a basic book - I have no aims to become a professional watercolor artist - something that would tell me more than I already knew - but not so so much that I would be overwhelmed by the

information. I chose this book to try and I glad that I did because it fits the bill perfectly for m
Susan
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I sat down and went through this book last night and read almost every word, which I usually don't do in a writing/art/journaling book in one sitting. This is an "outlet" book, and I desperately need an outlet right now! I can see using this with kids in their writing expression as well. Watercolor is such an easy medium for everyone because you really can't mess it up. It is inexpensive, and it makes a wonderful background for writing.
Kandise
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book for people like me who enjoy the process of doing things but need a help with the creative spark that tells what to do or where to start.
liberal sprinkles
I found this a fun, light yet very useful take on an old subject. Heather Smith Jones demonstrates traditional and more experimental ways of using watercolors in a very approachable style. Her writing is complimented by a very nice layout for the book, with lovely photos illustrating the clear instructions.

She starts with the basics: paper types, preparing paper, paints (including how to make your own watercolor paints). For the uninitiated, she explains many common techniques like painting sti
liberal sprinkles

Two BookWorms Blog
Apr 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
When I worked with preschool students (age 3), we incorporated variations of some of these explorations in our program, so I feel this is a book well worth checking out no matter what the age and stage of your kids.
Emyrose8
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-my-library
Good teaching tool for people looking to pick up watercolor/painting. Lots of pictures!
Dani Lacey
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great inspirational read

Very well illustrated and written! Gave me many things to think about and actually put into a Tim in my own artistic life
Renee
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed reading . . . now on to try all the wonderful things this book taught about watercolor painting.
Pauline
Nov 18, 2011 marked it as to-read
Marie Z. Johansen rated it

information. I chose this book to try and I glad that I did because it fi
Colleenish
Jul 29, 2018 rated it liked it
My first color book. This helped me understand medium and choose some supplies without being overly perscriptive. I am excited to try some of the projects. There's a nice array of projects and skills.
Kim
May 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book, 4.5 stars if I could give it that rating! I am a complete beginner to watercolors, so for me this book lacked some of the illustrations I would have liked to see...I needed to go to You Tube and watch a couple of videos on Water-painting (so that I could see the viscosity of the paints and mixes, learn about the white pan and gouache techniques, and see how wet to get the pans, etc) before I was truly ready to begin. Some of the instructions were too vague and I felt ...more
Antigone
Nov 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft

The difficulty with the current crop of writers in the field of mixed media artistry is their inherent pretension. It's hard to count the number of "helpful" authors I've read who offer advice about materials, methodology and muse from the vantage of my-way-or-the-highway. I've been bullied, lectured and infantilized by, apparently, some of the most highly-regarded craftswomen working today. As I am not a fan of despots, particularly in the arena of hands-on art instruction, it gives me great pl
D. J.
May 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: teachers, artists, teens, dabblers, The Generally Curious.
Out of the shelf-fulls of books I've purchased over the years, this one is like having your own instructor right there. The writing is straightforward, the exercises are clear and speak to the reader in a nice way. No down-talking here.

Lovely examples and photographs, and the author/artist gives her personal spin on the medium of watercolor and it's properties. I'd like to say I'm going to tackle each exercise over time and I just might! Definitely makes me want to get out my paper, paint and wa
Anna White
Mar 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love watercolor, so this book was a winner right off the bat. I love that it focused exclusively on water based media and techniques. Many if the projects were more abstract than I'm used to, but that is what makes them good practice exercises for me. My only issue is that there were a few spots where it seemed like a step was missing in the direction. Like from picture A to B I could see additional changes that were not described. I'm not sure if I'll buy this one, but I'll keep it in mind if ...more
Dana
Apr 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
I paint, but not watercolours. And I'm not schooled in it. So I found this book really useful educationally. I liked the variety of projects and instructions with pictures. While I doubt I will follow all of them, it did give me several ideas, and new methods to try. I can't ask for more than that out of an art book.
Camila
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
The projects were really fun even if i once took watercolor classes the teacher didn't explain there are different kinds of paper (maybe because they only sell one here) and i'm glad i know know how to make my own watercolors!

I'm sad i can't get all the materials needed in my city which made finishing all the projects a little hard, but i had a lot of fun!
F.P.
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art, nonfiction
This book is relaxing, yet I've had so much FUN using it; it's like art-making as a kid again! And I had stupidly passed it by on the shelf many times before checking it out more and buying it.

Just goes to show what I often say: the best stuff usually requires multiple interactions before it can be fully appreciated.
Catherine
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Great starter book for watercolor painting with some non-traditional exercises and projects.

If you've gotten jaded with watercolor paints some of the suggestions might inspire some lively fun in your thinking.

The mixed-media section could be expanded.
Lisa
Mar 08, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a good, basic book about watercolor. Lots of ideas for projects. I'm fairly new to this craft, but felt some of her ideas were pretty obvious. Nevertheless, they gave me good thoughts to put into my brain that I may use later.
Cheryl
Jan 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: art
It was just o.k., like the stars said. Did not get too many ideas that I could use in my own art. Other people may get more than I did. I am more of a mixed media and art journal type of artist. This was a library book and I do not plan to buy this book.
Carolyn Johnson
Apr 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I have had so much fun doing some of the projects in this book and have learned so much. A few of the projects are a bit weird, but overall this is a great intro to watercolor painting. Would be good to use with children.
Natalie
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2012
About the first half of the book was review for me, because I have a fair amount of experience with watercolor. However, when she finally does get around to the mixed media part, I learned a lot of new things. There are so many ideas I want to try, maybe someday I'll make the time.
Jo
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
Really nice book for beginners to watercolor. Plenty of diverse projects with something to appeal to everyone. Directions are non restrictive allowing for interpretation and creativity. Would be a great primer for someone new to the media.
Joan Marie
Jun 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
A helpful guide to basic watercolor techniques. I especially liked the Working Wet into Wet, Dabbing with Different Materials, Creating Negative Shapes with Tape and Stencils, Cutting and Reassembling a Large Painting.
Ashy
Feb 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book, really inspirational and keeps things simple.
Jeannine
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
In addition to being instructive, this book is just plain pretty to look at.
Jamie
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
So many lovely things to try! Such a pleasing layout! Especially liked the color tile-style exercise and the awesome pattern for the "Making Marks with One or Many" exercise.
drozda
Jan 14, 2011 is currently reading it
really like the design of this series...
  • Art at the Speed of Life: motivation + inspiration for making mixed-media art every day
  • Painted Pages: Fueling Creativity with Sketchbooks and Mixed Media
  • Creative Paint Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Experimental Techniques for Composition, Layering, Texture, Imagery, and Encaustic
  • Surface Treatment Workshop: Explore 45 Mixed-Media Techniques
  • Print Workshop: Hand-Printing Techniques and Truly Original Projects
  • Journal Spilling: Mixed-Media Techniques for Free Expression
  • Good Mail Day: A Primer for Making Eye-Popping Postal Art
  • One Drawing a Day: A 6-Week Course Exploring Creativity with Illustration and Mixed Media
  • Brave Intuitive Painting-Let Go, Be Bold, Unfold!: Techniques for Uncovering Your Own Unique Painting Style
  • Image Transfer Workshop: Mixed-media Techniques for Successful Transfers
  • Creative Lettering: Techniques  Tips from Top Artists
  • The Collage Workbook: How to Get Started and Stay Inspired
  • Drawing and Painting Imaginary Animals: A Mixed-Media Workshop with Carla Sonheim
  • No Excuses Art Journaling: Making Time for Creativity
  • Artist's Journal Workshop: Creating Your Life in Words and Pictures
  • Making an Impression: Designing  Creating Artful Stamps
  • Creative Illustration Workshop for Mixed-Media Artists: Seeing, Sketching, Storytelling, and Using Found Materials
  • Kaleidoscope: Ideas & Projects to Spark Your Creativity