Start by marking “Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others” as Want to Read:
Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others

Hellboy, Vol. 7: The Troll Witch and Others

(Hellboy - Edição Histórica #8)

With a new Hellboy series on the stands, fans of the world's greatest paranormal detective can find older favorites collected for the first time in the seventh volume of the Hellboy Saga. Hellboy: The Troll Witch and Others, collects short stories from The Dark Horse Book of the Dead, Witchcraft, Hauntings, and Monsters, the 2004 Hellboy: Wizard 1/2, as well as the critica ...more
Published October 3rd 2007 by Dark Horse (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Hellboy, Vol. 7, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hellboy, Vol. 7

Bradley
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I was so-so about the first stories in this volume. The tale of the trolls and the sisters was fairly decent but didn't grab me nearly as much as the tale of Makoma.

That one was all kinds of awesome.

Mignola is doing some rather fantastic things with his research and retellings of old legends and myths. It's subtle and not subtle at all. It's giving credit even in the pages even as it co-opts the legends and turns Hellboy into something rather larger than life.

It's not something I could
Chad
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019
I love how Hellboy interacts with the folklore of different cultures. Stories pull from African, Norwegian and Indonesian cultures to name a few. The Troll Witch is an instant favorite while The Vampire in Prague comes into play in Hellboy in Hell. What's great is that if you aren't feeling it for a certain story give it a few pages and you'll have moved onto something else.
Artemy
Oct 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
The Troll Witch and Others is probably my least favourite Hellboy short story collection, which isn't to say it's bad, it's just that most stories in it are merely OK. I really like the titular The Troll Witch, and The Vampire of Prague is a great classic Hellboy tale illustrated by the immensely talented P. Craig Russell. Makoma with Richard Corben's art is a neat one, as well. But the rest of them are pretty much filler episodes — enjoyable, but nothing special.

First read: October 27, 2015
Rati
Gavin
Jan 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am reading my way through a bunch of classic modern books thanks to my library (transmetropolitan, preacher, the boys, scalped, fables, and of course, this one) and so I get sometimes inundated with too many good books at once. Or at least they should be good.

Hellboy is something all of itself...it really is like a modern day Grimm or Aesop fables, set up by Mike Mignola. Every time I think ok, I know what the series is, so there's no need to keep reading, the obsessive completist in me forces
Melissa McShane
Re-read 8/5/15: This is one of the stronger collections, primarily because of the phenomenal miniseries "Makoma," which I adore--an African legend of a giant-killer adapted to star Hellboy and the Ogdru Jahad. It's beautifully illustrated by Richard Corben and masterfully told by Mike Mignola, and I need to buy this volume (I don't own all of the Hellboy books because I'm lazy and poor) so I can re-read it frequently. I didn't realize the first time through that it's based on a story out of Andr ...more
Lata
Jan 07, 2015 rated it liked it
The artwork was good, and I liked the way the other artists interpreted Mignola’s stories, and Hellboy’s features.
Most of the stories were ok, rather than really good, though I did like seeing more of Hellboy’s solo missions for the B.P.R.D. over the years.
Iva
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Взагалі забув відмітити, як вже дочитану, та разом із тим: це все ще збірка "монстрів тижня", яка дуже приємна після усіх томів БПРО. Звісно, тут накидать подальший глобальний сюжет і очевидно, що я ще не знаю, до чого ці нариси.

Читається бадьоро, переходжу далі. Бо ж із усього "Міньйолавьорсу" осилив заледве третину.
Dan
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Icats
Jul 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This volume is again based on several myths and folktales. The first story has Hellboy confronting a Penanggalan, a Malaysian folklore version of the vampire. The Hydra and the Lion was created with his daughter whose favorite creature at the time from Disney’s Hercules was the serpent water beast, Hydra. An interesting modern day twist on the legend of Hercules that even leaves Hellboy scratching his head. The Troll Witch is based off a Norwegian folktale about two sisters but with a slightly d ...more
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
Dark and dreamy imagery. Mignola shows a love and appreciation for myth and folklore that I find endearing as a fellow aficionado. With the inking and drawings, much is left up to the interpretation of the readers, and the writing itself is cerebral enough to appeal to a reader who likes to ponder what the point of a story is, and not feel spoon-fed. Whenever I read some of Mignola's work, it makes me want to go out and find more of it. That's a good thing, I think.
Stephen Theaker
Sep 03, 2008 rated it liked it
A collection of short stories from various sources, such as the Dark Horse Book of Hauntings and its siblings. All the stories are written by Mike Mignola, and he draws most of them, but P. Craig Russell and Richard Corben provide the artwork for "The Vampire of Prague" and "Makoma" respectively.

The storytelling is more minimal than in the first Hellboy collection, Seed of Destruction, (which I started reading a day or two before writing this review) which makes it all the more evocative, and ma
Orrin Grey
Jun 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, mignola, re-read
The long stories like "Makoma" and "The Vampire of Prague" aren't my favorites, but several of the other stories are ones I would cite as the best of the Hellboy short stories, especially "The Troll Witch," which may be my favorite Hellboy short.
Patricie Ulvrová
Mar 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: komiksy
Můj první Hellboy komiks.
M. Mignola už znám díky skvělé sérii Baltimore, ani v případě tohoto pekelného týpka jsem neměla pochyby o tom, že M. to prostě umí.
Pražský úpír je tedy pouze jeden příběh ze sbírky mnoha dalších. Další, např. Penanggalan, Hydra a lev, Trollí čarodějka, Ghúl...Makoma -> tenhle se mi líbil ze všech nejvíce.
Líbí se mi jak M. před či po příběhu píše dodatek či spojitost se vznikem postav, děje...
V tomto komiksu je třeba zajímavě vykreslen Karlův most.
Petr Fabián
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: dark-horse
Tak Makoma je jedno z toho nejlepšího, co jsem zatím z Hellboye četl. Strašně se mi Mignolovi líbí, že většinou nemá tendence ty legendy a mýty komplikovat a okecávat ale drží se původní formy. Vzít to šmahem a říkat jenom to, co má smysl. Příjemný.
The_Mad_Swede
Feb 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
This seventh volume of Mignola's wonderful comic Hellboy collects seven tales about the red, hellspawned protagonist set in various time periods of his existence. The stories are "The Penanggalan", "The Hydra and the Lion", the title story "The Troll Witch", "The Vampire of Prague" (illustrated by P. Craig Russell), "Dr. Carp's Experiment" (a little gem concerning mysterious time travelling and a haunted house), "The Ghoul" and finally the longer story "Makoma or, A Tale Told by a Mummy in the N ...more
J.G. Keely
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, horror, reviewed
I tend to appreciate the Hellboy short story collections more than the longer plot arcs. These shorter works tend to concentrate on tone and character, and ironically, are much more effective at building the world than the explanations and exposition of the longer pieces. It is easy for an author who is concentrating on the endpoint of a long plot to forget about the moment, writing in expectation that the conclusion will justify all that came before.

Even when an author does endeavor to set an i
Wing Kee
Dec 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Oh short little tales are awesome also!

This is the second trade I've read in a row that were nothing but small little tales, and it's bloody awesome:

World: Once again the art is all over the place, I do like the artist changes as I like seeing different artists portraying the Mignolaverse, it's interesting. This time around there is just as little world building as the last trade (Crooked Man and Other Stories), it merely serves the story and there are no deeper world building elements, it's fin
Mx. Coco
Jul 23, 2014 rated it really liked it

This was a bit hit or miss. There were a few great stories interspersed with mediocre ones.

The Troll Witch--4/5 stars
I liked her story and her query posed to Hellboy in regards to how he felt about a non-violent end to the troll killings.

Dr. Carp's Experiment--4/5 stars
I thought at the beginning this would be another straight-forward short, but it wasn't; it was great. I was left with a very eery, unsettled feeling. Also, the power of Hellboy's blood is interesting as seen here, in The
Harold Ogle
Apr 17, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, horror, humor, magic, undead
Not what I expected from a volume in the Hellboy series, but enjoyable nonetheless. This is a series of assorted vignettes from various periods in Hellboy's life (and it's been a long life), as he encounters various spooky or silly supernatural creatures to clobber. Hellboy remains a fun character - very much a Ben Grimm-like mook whose primary approach to interacting with anything is to punch it - and this lends a light air to these shorts, many of which would be too slight to be of much intere ...more
Brooke
Jan 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
I've found myself enjoying the short story collections more than the main storyline collections, and this volume was no exception. I really liked the two stories that were drawn by people other than Mignola - they used colors that aren't normally used in the series, and it was nice to see it visualized a little differently. Plus, the ghost using scissors to snip the dividing line on the 2nd page of The Vampire of Prague? Totally awesome.
Mel
May 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
These were a little too close to the original Hellboy stories in many ways and a bit too simplistic. There was a monster, Hellboy beat it up, it ended. That said the Troll Witch story itself was wonderful, a proper fairy tale, with a happy/sad ending and a way to defeat the bad without a huge fight. The Africa stories were an interesting interpretation of apocalyptic mythology. Some of the shorter ones went quickly. Not a bad collection, just not as enjoyable as some of the others.
Spencer
Sep 16, 2016 rated it liked it
Whilst I enjoyed the stories 'The Troll Witch' and 'Makoma', I can't say that I cared for the rest in this collection, especially 'The Vampire of Prague' which was poorly illustrated and badly written.
This was a really uneven collection of short Hellboy stories and whilst I enjoyed a couple the rest were so lacking that they pulled down the quality of this collection.
Brendan
Oct 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Certain one shots were good but others just didn't do much for me. I'm a huge Mignola fan but the artwork is a huge miss when it isn't him, I have a distinct connection with the Hellboy characters form and when someone steps in its almost not worth the time to follow the story. Still one of my favorite series but this scattered selection didn't connect for me.
David Webb
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not the Best Hellboy; but Still Very Good

Mike Mignola is very, very good. A mediocre Mike Mignola story (if duch a thing actually existed) would be better than many people's best work. This wasn't mediocre. So that means it's very good, even though it's not as good as his very best Hellboy stories.
Adam M
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
This is serviceable, but there are better volumes of Hellboy out there.
Canavan
✭✭✭
Adam Stone
Jan 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: hellboy-universe
As a fan of narrative, and intricate storytelling, trying to read Hellboy is somewhat of a chore. I've been following an interesting chronology list (https://frasersherman.wordpress.com/h...) to try and gain some sense of continuity, but the series is all over the place. Not just between the books, but within the books. There are no connections between the stories the way they're collected. It's like a book of unrelated fables where the protagonist has been crammed into each one to give them a v ...more
Bryan
Feb 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
Like a couple of the collections before it, the seventh volume is a compilations of several different Hellboy stories. I've landed at four stars; some stories were better than others, and I'll touch a little on each of them.

- The Penanggalan: in which Hellboy investigates a bloodthirsty haunting in Malaysia
- The Hydra and the Lion: in which the death of Hercules brings an unwanted guest
- The Troll-witch: in which the Troll-witch tells Hellboy a story of two sisters (this is the first candida
Robert Hudder
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
We get some alone time with Hellboy and see how he gets away from BPRD and embraces his destiny. Feels like he will get back to them in time and this is his odyssey. We travel through more myths; Greek, Malaysian and African are up. Once again, I enjoy graphic novels that can both grow the character arc while maintaining decent one off stories that don't require a lot of backstory.

What I find myself enjoying immensely is the anecdotes on where the ideas came from and what was going on. Sometime
Chleo
Hellboy nous embarque dans son tour du monde en 80 coups de marteau. Attention lutins sensibles s'abstenir. J'ai beaucoup aimé la variété des sujets et des références:des contes Malais à Shakespeare. Les petites explications sur les origines des histoires sont aussi les bienvenus et nous donnent un petit accès au processus d'écriture de Mignola.

• Hellboy: The Bones of Giants
  • The Goon, Volume 5: Wicked Inclinations
  • Hellboy: The Companion
  • Hellboy: Emerald Hell
  • Hellboy: The All-Seeing Eye
  • Atomic Robo and the Shadow from Beyond Time (Atomic Robo, #3)
  • Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories
  • Fall of Cthulhu, Vol. 1: The Fugue
  • Hellboy: The Fire Wolves
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • House of Mystery, Volume 5: Under New Management
  • Hellboy Animated Volume 1: The Black Wedding
  • Swamp Thing, Vol. 6: Reunion
Mike Mignola was born September 16, 1960 in Berkeley, California and grew up in nearby Oakland. His fascination with ghosts and monsters began at an early age (he doesn't remember why) and reading Dracula at age 13 introduced him to Victorian literature and folklore from which he has never recovered.

In 1982, hoping to find a way to draw monsters for a living, he moved to New York City and began wo

Hellboy - Edição Histórica (10 books)
  • Hellboy, Volume 1: Seed of Destruction and Wake the Devil