Start by marking “Good Work Amelia Bedelia” as Want to Read:
Good Work Amelia Bedelia

Good Work Amelia Bedelia (Amelia Bedelia #6)

4.24  ·  Rating details ·  3,824 Ratings  ·  61 Reviews
Mr Rogers and his wife go out for the day and leave a list of jobs for Amelia to do. She handles them exactly as they are written, not quite as intended. Clean out the ashes. Fill the wood box. Pot the window box plants. Make a sponge cake. Ask Alcolu to patch the front door screen - she does herself. A surprise with butterscotch icing may turn all right.
Paperback
Published June 1st 1982 by Avon Books (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Good Work Amelia Bedelia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Good Work Amelia Bedelia

Luisa Knight
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, i-can-read
For the past several years I've hosted a masquerade party. It's super fun! One year my friend came as Amelia Bedelia - she was my hero. What a creatively genius idea! (Why couldn't I have thought of it first?) Anyway, she ended up bringing Amelia Bedelia's sponge cake to the party, the one that's made in this book. Good times!

Reading Level: 1st -3rd grades

Cleanliness: someone says "my goodness." "What in tarnation" is said twice.
Noelle Marie
Nov 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Good Work, Amelia Bedelia is part of a series about a hardworking, yet quirky housekeeper who takes the instructions from her employers, Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, far too literally. For example, when Amelia Bedelia was asked to make a sponge cake she made it with actual kitchen sponges. While tension grows between Amelia and Mr. and Mrs. Rogers, the story continues to be humorous throughout. This book truly leaves the audience eagerly awaiting the next surprise.

Good Work, Amelia Bedelia falls under
Halee
Sep 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: red-315, series, humor
Reading Level: 2.1
Interest Level: K-3

This book is another great addition to the humorous Amelia Bedelia series that is fun for students as they read about a hard working maid that takes everything that she is told literally. In this particular book, Amelia is given a list of chores to do which leads her to make a sponge cake with a real sponge, pots plants by placing them in all the kitchen cooking pots, and serves a chicken dinner by giving cracked corn to her employers. Students that are reluc
Mmouse
Jan 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the Amelia Bedilia books. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book to my daughter.

You know how when you read aloud and your eyes read ahead of what is actually coming out of your mouth, well half the time I was laughing so hard about something before I managed to read it out loud to my daughter. She kept giving me weird looks until I finally managed to read it to her.

It's been quite a few years since I've read the books but I loved every Amelia Bedilia book and plan on getting ah
Caroline Braun
I read all of the Amelia bedelia books in elementary school and they were some of my favorites. Amelia is just so quirky and screws everything up but always manages to make people laugh and forget about it. I would definitely recommend it!
April
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mim-on-own
So happy someone else is reading these again. The giggle are contagious!
Celticoracle
This was one of my favourite Amelia Bedelia books when I was a kid. Mini-Me got the same kick out of the potted plants and the sponge cake that I did. A fun story.
Eric Black
May 16, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, children
Good Work, Amelia Bedelia is not as well-developed as the other Amelia Bedelia books. Though Parrish follows a formula in writing each one, this one is more formulaic than others.
Michael Fitzgerald
The tired joke is not funny anymore. Don't bother with this one.
Alicia
Jan 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
I used to read Amelia Bedelia books as a child and now am sharing them with my nephew!
An Odd1
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun

The pictures explain in cheerful color. Apron uniform looks so obedient. The kitchen pots with handles are filled with flowers. A sponge is sn
Elines Flores
Amelia Bedelia is an awesome character!! She is a charming housekeeper that takes every TOO literal. When she is supposed to "pot the plants", she actually puts them in kitchen pots! For me, this book puts into perspective how a child might see the the world. At first taking everything literal until they they know better, like putting the plants in plant pots not kitche pots. This is great for developing readers because it is longer than the average picture book yet not in the chapter format, th ...more
Erin
Honestly, I think there are SO MANY other worthwhile books to read than any of the Amelia Bedelia books. I understand that they're supposed to be silly, but I don't find them fun at all and even as a child I couldn't understand how an adult could be that stupid. When I was younger I knew what dusting and drawing the drapes (even though we didn't have drapes in my house) were and I was flabbergasted that an adult who worked as a maid didn't know these basic things.
Theresa
Good Work, Amelia Bedelia
by peggy Parish
a hilarious story of miss understandings
a great series of mixed up directions and literal meanings, this is a great silly series to show children that mistakes and mix ups are possible if not probable, and that innocence may be more of the reason then meaning to do something wrong/
Susan Howson
Nov 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: littles
Man, how weird is it that Amelia Bedelia is a maid, and I never thought about it when I was a kid?

I hadn't realized how much I remembered the sponge cake vs butterscotch cake debacle until I was reading it again. My 3yo didn't get any of the puns, but that's ok. Choose books to aspire to, that's my motto.

Pro tip: use the dowager countess's voice for Mrs. Rogers.
Jill
Mar 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holly Beth
Oct 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Amelia Bedelia books, I think they show that even if we miss up if we try our best than that is all that matters. Amelia is a girl who wants to help out and do good but everything seems to go wrong and in some weird way always turns out right. I would work on vocabulary with this book.
Velvetea
Aug 12, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
Very silly~ it's the only one of these books I've read. I don"t dig the illustrations much but I remember appreciating the puns as a kid and reading part of it aloud to my class. When I read the end "And she heated that can of soup!", my teacher didn't get the joke...
Elizabeth
Amelia Bedelia is a comical character that takes every thing you say a little too literal. This book is a lot of fun and teaches you to think differently. Amelia is a maid and gets a list of chores to do, she accomplish each and everyone of them just not exactly the way her boss had in mind.
Seth
Mar 15, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read these books when I was a child, and still have memories of the stupid tales that make me smile. These books are great if you have a child in the family--even more so if you are a child at heart.
Nicole Fraijo
Jan 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book was so funny! my favorite part of the book is where Amelia Bedelia makes a Sponge Cake. I read this book when I was a child and still enjoy reading it nowadays especially when I need a good laugh.
Stacy Fetters
Apr 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amelia Bedelia is a complete badass. When I grow up I wanna be Amelia. But with tattoos, piercings and a lot of cursing.

Why dont you go fly a kite...
"Why fly a kite? When I can stay at home and pop a pill"
Rowe Northwestern
Oct 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
My favorite part of this book was when Amelia Bedelia was getting the clothes and patched up the screen door with them. I think other people would really enjoy reading this book because it is really funny.
-Xitlali
Emkoshka
Much the same was the first Amelia Bedelia book, with the literal-minded maid getting into the usual scrapes and misunderstandings while trying to keep house for Mr and Mrs Rogers. The 'sponge' cake is a classic though!
Tiffany
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teaching
This book is so great. I love Amelia Bedelia and I always have, from the first time I picked up an Amelia Bedelia book in elementary school.
Sheila
Sep 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
How can you not like Amelia Bedelia. All of the original Amelia Bedelia series books are good in my opinion.
Jessie
Jul 16, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Amelia Bedelia books are so cute and funny.
Karen
Nov 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amelia Bedelia is a delightful character, and this book is another very strong offering of her particular quirks and talents.
Bothyna
this is the first book I've own as a kid .. love it, and still do :)
Jessica
Jan 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Such a fun read!! Really enjoyed it!!
  • Amelia Bedelia 4 Mayor
  • The Berenstain Bears: The Bear Detectives
  • Just Lost! (Little Critter)
  • I Just Forgot (Little Critter)
  • Henry and Mudge and the Wild Goose Chase (Henry and Mudge, #23)
  • Clifford Takes A Trip
  • Mouse Soup
  • Leo the Lop
Peggy Parish was the author of the children's story series Amelia Bedelia. The series was continued, after her sudden death from an aneurysm, by her nephew Herman Parish. Peggy attended the University of South Carolina and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in English.

Herman honored Peggy's life in his book, Good Driving, Amelia Bedelia, by writing in its dedication: "For Peggy Parish, the real Am
More about Peggy Parish...

Amelia Bedelia (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Amelia Bedelia  (Amelia Bedelia #1)
  • Thank You, Amelia Bedelia (I Can Read Book Level 2)
  • Amelia Bedelia and the Surprise Shower