Start by marking “The Shaman's Body: A New Shamanism for Transforming Health, Relationships, and the Community” as Want to Read:

From the author of Dreambody - a pioneering method of using crisis as a dynamic opportunity for accessing our inner world, confronting our fears, and catalyzing self-discovery.
Published November 30th 1993 by HarperOne

To ask other readers questions about The Shaman's Body, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shaman's Body

Start your review of The Shaman's Body: A New Shamanism for Transforming Health, Relationships, and the Community
Alyaksei
Dec 30, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
The first suspicious thing I found reading this book was a fact that the author so many times mentions Don Juan' teachings. This is not good, because The Shaman's Body is positioned as a book about the culture research of shamans, not a retelling of some artwork.
The second is about the practical parts of the book. The strange practical exercises that appear between sections of the book, in fact, are just a common meditation technique and this have nothing in common with dreams.

I can't put just
Taka
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
Just the book I needed--

This came to me at exactly the right moment in my life—so many things he said about the hunter, the warrior, the ally, and the path of heart resonated with me and helped me sort out and come to terms with events happening in my life. It also helped that I did sweat lodge back in April and took some Shaman Skills class that's basically the practical version of this book, marrying shamanism and process-oriented psychology. It gets four stars only because the last few
Taylor Ellwood
Jun 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: psychology, magic
This is an intriguing book that explores how shamanic traditions can be applied to working with your body and learning from your body. At times, the book does vergeon cultural appropriation, but I think the author does try to treat what he writes about with respect. There are useful insights and perspectives about power, about the body, about connecting with spirit. What I fund helpful was considering all the above and my relationship with each. And I know this is a book I'll read again, to see ...more
Jonathan Hockey
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Had to give up on this one for now. Frustrating as some of the content and ideas are interesting, but the authors personality I find off putting. A sense of moralising always in the background, a supercilious kind of tone and style that is not to my liking. Sure, he gets out of that attitude at times, but its too often and too much for me to relax and enjoy this book right now.
Abby Wynne
Jul 07, 2012 rated it it was ok
I think if the author made his statements from the first person this would be a much more interesting read. I felt preached at and, as a practicing shamanic practitioner and psychotherapist, I disagreed with most of what he was preaching. However, the world needs more books combining psychotherapy and shamanism. I guess I'll have to write one too.
Joanna Marta Pilatowicz
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books of Arnold Mindell. The way he compared and linked shamanism with psychology makes a simple exercise magical in its outcome. This book can definitely transform one's life. It did mine.
Brandy Swor
Oct 23, 2016 rated it liked it
This is hard to understand. Either it is not comprehensive enough or I probably just need to read into the subject more.
Roger Royer
This book is rather interesting even if it is not really what I believe. Some of the ideas are worth noting but I have issues with the basics of the book. I think that the dreaming body is different than the author describes and I feel that this book is for more advanced students of Shamanism than I initially thought.

If you want to follow the author and what he describes you might need to read other books first.
Heather Austin
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
There's so much I resonate with here! The author practices and writes about a deeply connected and spiritual way of being in the world, where the spheres of shamanism and psychology intersect. The lens provided can transform the way you see and interact with the world and its inhabitants. There is untapped richness and meaning in the little things all around us.
Elan Hoffman
Mar 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: psychotherapy
Mindell does a masterful job of weaving shamanistic ideas into the modern world which had lost touch with its roots.

Be advised though, this is not a book that can be absorbed by intellect only - the reader will need to access other senses to grasp this material.
Lindsy Fish
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
It was not what I expected, but it was worth my reading.

It's a little winding, and at times bizarre, but some concepts presented have been very useful to me in my own practice.
H.B.
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shamanism meets psychology and the universe opens up.
Lia
Mar 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A truly amazing book that has the power to change the world, if people would only listen. It is probably easier to relate to if you have experienced altered states of consciousness, but I would imagine that having read it without such experiences, one would feel the desire to seek them out and feel the magic that Mindell writes about so deftly.
Ka Mi La
Sep 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
going further, than one usually does in the field of psychotherapy and own experience
David
Oct 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a powerful book that is well integrated. I recommend it for anyone that wants to explore shamanism.
Brooke
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fascinating. As if everyone has some Shaman in them waiting to come out.
Luqui
Oct 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing
i am enjoying reading more of Mindell, specially after meeting him. I am looking forward to having a consultation meeting with him (most likely next jan 08)
Melissa Wilder
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, deep, profound. Must read a little at a time to really absorb it all! Great book.
Gerry Forde
Deirdre Buckley
Feb 16, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Way of the Shaman
  • Психодинамика колдовства или введение в паралогию
  • Beyond The Body: The Human Double And The Astral Planes
  • The 5 Personality Patterns: Your Guide to Understanding Yourself and Others and Developing Emotional Maturity
  • The Wonderful W
  • The Magus
  • How to Know Higher Worlds: A Modern Path of Initiation (Classics in Anthroposophy)
  • Шаманский лес
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Shaman, Healer, Sage: How to Heal Yourself and Others with the Energy Medicine of the Americas
  • Medicine Woman
  • Свобода шамана
  • A Little Course in Dreams
  • Хохот Шамана
  • Хамелеон
  • Generation "П". Жизнь насекомых. Желтая стрела
  • The Unadulterated Cat
  • Ночной дозор. Дневной дозор. Сумеречный дозор.