Start by marking “Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English” as Want to Read:
Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

Tortillitas Para Mama: And Other Nursery Rhymes, Spanish and English

3.76  ·  Rating details ·  51 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Young children will treasure this collection of Latin American nursery rhymes. Preserved through oral tradition, these rhymes have been passed on from generation to generation. They have been lovingly gathered and translated for this book and many are accompanied by instructions for finger play. Illuminated by the beautiful paintings of Barbara Cooney, they are now availab ...more
Published January 15th 1988 by Henry Holt & Company (first published October 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Tortillitas Para Mama, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tortillitas Para Mama

Imelda
Jun 10, 2018 rated it liked it
Las ilustraciones de este libro son buenísimas. A mi bebé (2 meses) le llaman mucho la atención. Me gustó mucho la sugerencia que hacen sobre los movimientos que debe hacer una cuando le canta la canción de los pollitos a los niños. Mi problema es que no conozco las rimas y canciones de este libro. No se si sea porque soy mexicana pero solo reconocí la de las tortillitas y la de los pollitos, las demás nunca las había escuchado y no se como cantarlas.
Hendrix Eva
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So interactive and fun, beautifully sweet
Hannah Grosse
Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, though I read it using the Spanish translations. Had I not been able to do so, I most likely would have not liked the book, because the English translation does not rhyme. Nor are the Spanish poems always perfect rhymes, but they retained enough of a style that they remained interesting.

I was thrown off by some of the poems, finding them slightly depressing. For example, Chiquita Bonita starts out with a girl describing her childish charm, then finishing with the fact that if
Cheryl
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cooney's art, warm & bright but otherwise much like her classics like Miss Rumphius and Chanticleer and the Fox, is the highlight of the collection. I also like the design, as the book is small enough for smaller hands and cozy laps, with pages that are full of things to look at but uncluttered. And of course any good bilingual book deserves consideration by any library or school.

The rhymes themselves mostly leave me cold. Several do include finger-play, and when my children were young we d
Maria
Jun 10, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice collection of Spanish nursery rhymes. Each rhyme is presented in both Spanish and English along with any accompanying actions (such as the ones you would do with This Little Piggy). The rhymes are better in Spanish ( because they actually rhyme), but some are pretty entertaining in English. For instance, "Pretty Little Girl" - I am small, I am pretty/ I am my mother's pearl./ If I soil my dress,/ She will beat me. My favorite is Colita de Rana (Little Frog's Tail) because my dad u ...more
Lluvia
Feb 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Author: Margot C. Griego

This book had many rhymes. It's written in English and Spanish. I was reading the book in English first and the rhymes didn't make senses. I started to notice some of this rhymes were used by my mom when we were little kids. So I started to read the book in Spanish and it started to make more sense. The rhymes were much better in Spanish. I don't think they should translate some things because it sounds weird in another language.
Christine Turner
A collection of nursery rhymes, each in both English and Spanish, collected from the Spanish community in the Americas, many with instructions for accompanying finger plays or other activities.
www.hcpl.net

The collection of nursery rhymes are small, but include several that would work for babytime.
Amanda
Nov 28, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya-bad
Some of the rhymes are great, but others are leaving you going "WHAT?:!?!?"

Such as...

"I am small, I am pretty,
I am my mother's pearl.
If I soil my dress,
She will beat me."

or

"Little tortillas for Mama
Little tortillas for Papa.
The burned ones for Mama.
The good ones for Papa."

I realize there is room for translation & cultural differences, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Elvira
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
A collection of classic nursery rhymes in Spanish and English. A few of this were very familiar to my parents, though they realized that many of the rhymes they knew were shortened by their parents. A few of them may not be appropriate for all and many of these can be found in other Spanish nursery rhyme books, though the illustrations are paired nicely with each rhyme.
Samantha
Spanish nursery rhymes written in both English and Spanish with accompanying actions and paintings depicting Spanish families.

Rhymes are short and some lend themselves very well to storytime or classroom use. No pronunciation guides for the Spanish translations so some research would need to be doen for English speakers who want to present both versions.
Ricardo Contreras
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tortillitas Para Mama took me back to a few childhood experiences. Some of the nursery rhymes in the book were told to me as a child. I likes the poems since they were in English in Spanish. However, I liked them more in Spanish and understood it much better. I will say I enjoyed the book and the artwork was very nice.

Age group 3-7

Pass
Jul 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Nursery Rhymes in Spanish -- excellent collection.
Nancy Espinoza
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a cute little book for bilingual families to introduce the Hispanic culture into the lives of their little ones.
Kim Amberg