Start by marking “Jump, Frog, Jump!” as Want to Read:
Jump, Frog, Jump!

Jump, Frog, Jump!

"This is the turtle that slid into the pond and ate the snake that dropped from a branch and swallowed the fish that swam after the frog -- JUMP, FROG, JUMP!" This infectious cumulative tale will soon have the young frogs you know jumping and chanting with joy.
Published October 26th 1989 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 29th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Jump, Frog, Jump!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jump, Frog, Jump!

Ronyell
Frog

“Jump, Frog, Jump” is a lyrical children’s book written by Robert Kalan along with illustrations by Byron Barton and it is about how a small frog tries to avoid all the dangerous animals who all want it for their dinner. The food chain theme may be a bit too upsetting for smaller children to handle, but older children would most definitely enjoy this lyrical book about the food chain and a smart frog.

Robert Kalan’s writing is highly creative and lyrical as he writes the explanation of the food
jacky
Aug 10, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: toddlers - preschool
This was read at story time today as part of the summer reading theme Make a Splash with Reading. The book itself was okay. What I liked is how our librarian asked the listeners to say Jump, Frog, Jump along with the book. That also allowed me to jump Natalie up while we listened, much like Pop Goes the Weasel.
Villain E
Aug 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A fun and simple book to get kids to interact. "How did the frog get away? Jump, frog, jump!
Dolly
Jan 15, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2011
Fun cumulative tale about creatures in a pond. It has bright, bold illustrations and a simple, building narrative that is fun to read aloud. We enjoyed reading along with this book as it was narrated on CD. I recognized the illustrator's name as we have a french book by him, Aéroport.
Jackie
Frog uses his one sure defense against being caught in this cumulative tale. When frog tries to catch a fly, without being caught himself, the story asks, "how does the frog get away?"...Jump, Frog, Jump

Used for "Frog Fever" Storytime-May, 2010.
Kirsty Cabot
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
First read to Ivy 22/05/16
Mama Bibliosoph
Jump, Frog, Jump! has one of my favorite structures: the cumulative poem (sometimes called a chaining story). Every page adds a line to the poem and the entire poem is recalled and built upon. These stories are fabulous for exercising a child's working memory skills. The most famous cumulative rhymes are "The House That Jack Built" and "Who Killed Cock Robin."

This story also, brilliantly, adds a repeating call and response element. As various predators and other enemies threaten the
Mary
Read-Aloud Revival Recommendation for June Picture Books. This is a cumulative tale (along the lines of THE HOUSE THAT JACK BUILT). Even though these kinds of tales can become tedious for the reader (at least, in my experience), they seem to really help kids with comprehension, understanding and prose or flow of a story. And my kids like these tales. Cute. Worked for us.
Cumulative tale that allows readers to get involved saying "Jump, Frog, Jump!" as the frog escapes one peril after another. For enthusiastic kids, this would be a great read aloud, if the kids don't get into it, this one will fall flat. For babies, caregivers could lift them up on each "Jump" or toddlers could jump themselves on each jump.
Melanie
An omnipotent narrator tells readers the story of a frog in a garden. Throughout the book there are different dangers that the frog might encounter if he doesn't "jump, Frog, jump!"

Children will love shouting the repeated catchphrase.
Suhad Albaat
This book was a very easy book for kids to read. Jump, Frog, Jump was mentioned a lot in this book because the frog was trying to get away from all the things that we're trying to capture him, and the only way to escape was by jumping.
Kennedy Johnson
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This would be a great book when teaching children sight words. It will also be a good book to read to children when teaching them about jumping. The pictures are ok but the children will enjoy the stroy if read correctly.
Kaiden
Feb 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book. Every time I read "Jump Frog Jump" My son would giggle so loud. It was the best sound ever. He enjoyed this book a lot! <3
Tabitha Vanover
Sep 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ecce-2115
This book teaches order. You can use this book to have children list the order of the animals that the frog had to escape from.
Ellon
Mar 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
I used this for my CALS kids because it was simple and easy to follow but the actual story is just kind of meh for me.
Cheryl Baker
Jun 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A classic!!! Children love this as a read-aloud during storytime!
J
Feb 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a good one. It's really easy to make it interactive. All the groups I read it to enjoyed it.
Iggi
Apr 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, storytime
An older classic that I remember when I was a kid.

Iggi's Storytime Criteria
Age group: Preschool+
Content: frog life, food web, empathy for the frog
Plot: straightforward, but with a fun little twist at the end
Wordiness: Low, rhyming, call-out, repition
Length: Medium
Illustrations: Ok- BRIGHT
Other: Say it with me, JUMP, FROG, JUMP! And then point out the tie back at the end, the one kid saying what we've been saying all along. Was that kid watching the frog too?
Jami Moore
Jump, Frog, Jump! is about a frog who manages to escape many different things that are trying to catch him. He avoids the fish and the snake, but is caught in a net. He continuously escapes by jumping. The book is filled with colorful illustrations that allow children to tell the story without reading the words.

Overall, the book is fun! The words are rather simple, so early readers are able to follow along using both the words and the images. The book is also translatable, so children who speak
Sue
Title: Jump, Frog, Jump
Author: Robert Kalan
Genre: Children’s Picture Book
Challenges: PB & J Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, A to Z Reading Challenge, 2009 Support Your Local Library, 20 Books in 2009, Pages Read Challenge, Young Reader's Challenge 2009, Spring 2009 Challenge,

Rating: 5/5
No. of Pages: 32
Published: 1981

From the back: this is the turtle that slid into the pond and ate the snake that dropped from a branch and swallowed the f
Evan
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
This review is for 'Salta, Ranita, Salta!', the Spanish Edition of this children's book. I chose to purchase this book because of its low price as well as the fact it was featured as a 4-for-3 promotion on . But when it arrived, I was quite pleasantly surprised by the beautiful illustrations and simple sentence structure, which follows the repetitive style of 'There Was An Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly", though in a much simpler sense (i.e., 'This is the fish that chased the frog that hunted the ...more
Rocheal Hoffman
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a great repetitive book fit for the most inquisitive beginning readers. Children will love the repetitive phrase: "Jump frog, Jump!"
Students may act this book out. Teacher should ask students why the frog keeps jumping away.
Science- Good for the standard: SKL2. Students will compare the similarities and differences in groups of organisms.
a. Explain the similarities and differences in animals. (color, size, appearance, etc.)
b. Explain the similarities and differences in plants. (
Courtney
Apr 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: edutl-2368
Kalan, R. Jump, Frog, Jump. NY: Mulberry Books (1981).
Illustrated by Byron Burton

Jumo, Frog, Jump! is about a frog that is going across the pond where he lives and is almost eaten by a snake. Frog must jump away from different dangers across the pond until he is caught by two young boys in a net. One of the boys secretly lets him go saying "jump, frog, jump!".

The reading level for this book is ages 3-6 and can be used for many fun activities in a preschool classroom
Cassandra Gray
I felt that after doing this week's readings on Non-Fiction children's picture books, I found a common theme. These books tended to be more scholarly and academic. The non-fiction books always taught something and most were related to science, nature, or animals. I enjoyed that the books were simple in explanation and made it a more fun non-fiction style for children. I think that non-fiction books would work best in a science content and during the period when science is a big topic for childre ...more
Katharine Snyder
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: pattern-book
This book was a pattern book that kids would absolutely love. The illustrations are seemingly in the naive style of illustrations, giving students the ability to connect to the artwork. I also loved how each photo had a form of foreshadowing, something kids would love to look for, and point out themselves. With pattern books as well, children love to predict what is coming next, and it can become an interactive book, having kids say "jump frog jump" with you as the pattern repeats. This overall ...more
K.C.
Jul 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s-lit
Kalan, Robert. (1981). Jump, frog, jump! New York: Greenwillow Books.

Category: cumulative story, partcipation books, picture storybook

A day in the life of a frog; he encounters a fish, turtle, snake and some boys. In each situation, he manages to get away with the repeating refrain, "jump,frog, jump." Children are cued by the question, "How did the frog get away?" The boys catch him but with one kind boy lets him go.

Themes: frogs, pond, habitats

Cla
Terra McCown
Mar 05, 2016 marked it as to-read
Shelves: ls-3013-02
Science, Predator/Prey, Addition and Subtraction

TEKS: (10) Organisms and environments. The student knows that organisms resemble their parents and have structures and processes that help them survive within their environments. The student is expected to:

(A) investigate how the external characteristics of an animal are related to where it lives, how it moves, and what it eats;

(B) identify and compare the parts of plants;