Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster

The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster (The Berenstain Bears)

Illustrated in full color. Sister can't believe the gift Brother gets for his birthday--it's the biggest, shiniest three-speed bike she's ever seen! She may not be big enough to reach the pedals, but she wants that bike! The evils of jealousy become clear in a nightmare in which a green-eyed monster convinces Sister to prove that she can ride the bike. But look out! Sister ...more
Published March 7th 1995 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published March 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster

Kathryn
I'm pretty sure that I read this book when I was a child, and I'm pretty sure that it holds up. The green-eyed monster is the worst. And bikes, bikes with 3 speeds are the best.
Ashley Field
Sep 29, 2013 Ashley Field rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
It's Brother Bear's birthday and when he receives his new racing bike from Mama and Papa, Sister is terribly jealous. Mama Bear tells her that she gets to have Brother's old bike. Although, that is not what she is interested in. She wants a brand new big bike like brother. Mama tells Sister about the Green-Eyed monster getting her and that she needs to not be so jealous. Sister has a dream about the Green-Eyed Monster convincing her to ride Brother's new bike and she accidentally crashes and bre ...more
Rosa Cline
Nov 18, 2016 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, birthday, 2016
When Brother Bear birthday comes and he's center of attention and gets gifts; Sister is happy for him. UNTIL their parents give him a wonderful BIG bicycle! Mama tells Sister to be on the watch for the green eyed monster. When jealousy kicks in the monster isn't a good friend to have. Sister learns her lesson from having a bad dream. When she wakes up her family help her to see that brother is bigger than her and is ready for a big bike. Sister is ready for a bigger bike than her trike and she g ...more
↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝
Apr 27, 2013 ↜ƈɦǟռ☂ɛℓℓɛ↝ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: yes
★★★★The Berenstain Bears and the Green-Eyed Monster by Stan and Jan Berenstain
This one is about the "Green-Eyed Monster," jealousy or envy. Brother Bear get the shiniest new bike for his birthday. Sister get very jealous, and wanted to ride it, even though she's too small. She later has a nightmare, where the green-eyed monster, tells her she needs to show everyone, she is big enough to ride it.
Christy
Dec 04, 2012 Christy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Illustrated in full color. Sister can't believe the gift Brother gets for his birthday--it's the biggest, shiniest three-speed bike she's ever seen! She may not be big enough to reach the pedals, but she wants that bike! The evils of jealousy become clear in a nightmare in which a green-eyed monster convinces Sister to prove that she can ride the bike. But look out! Sister.
T Crockett
Feb 07, 2014 T Crockett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
This one is very popular with the toddler set. I think they can understand where Sister is coming from, and love the green monsters.

I like that the plot is a bit different from the TV version of the same story, which makes a teachable moment about movie adaptations. Hey, it's never too early to make the argument for reading the book before seeing the movie.
Kristie
Feb 24, 2010 Kristie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, with a great message, for not only kids but adults. My kids love this book. They wanted to read it because it was about a "monster". But once we read the book a couple times through they started to understand the meaning. Everyone parents should read this book to their kid to teach them to be grateful for what they do that.
Angela
Loved this book! Momma bear did an excellent job in discussing jealousy and envy with her daughter. I also thought it was great how Poppa bear became jealous of his friend and Sister bear taught him a lesson.
Heather
Mar 31, 2008 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-lit
I used to read these with my parents all the bloody time! Most of them were so loved that they had all fallen apart. This one was an exception because I got this one when I was much older. I had outgrown the reading level, but I hadn't outgrown the love of these characters.
Rachael Paz
May 09, 2014 Rachael Paz marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I personally love this book. I was thinking about purchasing it as a gift for my little cousin who actually does have "the green eyed monster" over me owning the show accurate Toys R Us Exclusive Collector Series of Princess Celestia from My Little Pony.
Siskiyou-Suzy
It's weird how we can't recall things from our childhood until we see them. I was sure I wouldn't recognize which Berenstain Bears' books I had around the house as a kid, but decided to look. I remember this one with staunch vivacity, though I couldn't tell you anything about it.
Danielle Mootz
Oct 30, 2016 Danielle Mootz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
We love Berenstain bears and I've seen this episode before bit the book was even better to read to the kids!
chucklesthescot
Brother and Sister Bear find out how to deal with jealousy. This book is quite funny and you get to see that the adults are just as prone to jealousy as the children are.
Christin
Feb 08, 2016 Christin rated it liked it
Have always loved this series. They are definitely classics!
Heather Jo
Mar 30, 2015 Heather Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: meggie-list
Jaime
Apr 12, 2012 Jaime rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We love all berenstain bear books!
Dawn Van Ness
Dec 04, 2012 Dawn Van Ness rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: under-5
Stan Bernstein gives us excellent books to introduce or reinforce morals and productive behavior: excellent source of pro-social behavior.
Rebekah
Sister Bear learns how jealousy can get you into trouble
Krista
Jun 05, 2016 Krista rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good stuff

Great story about jealousy and envy, AKA the green eyed monster. My five year old loved it! We love the Berenstain Bears.
Sweet's Family Bookshelves
All of my kids have enjoyed the Berenstain bears books. This one was no different. Sister learns about the Green-eyed monster (being jealous) and overcomes it.
Rachel
Oct 12, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
The green eyed monster refers to being greedy. I would use this book to discuss being greedy and the issues with it. Students might get a kick out of the illustrations also.
Kristen
Jun 23, 2014 Kristen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
I was obsessed with this book as a kid.
Adrienne
Feb 12, 2014 Adrienne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
That little green-eyed monster version of Sister Bear is creepy! If I were a kid, that thing would give me nightmares!
Rebecca (everyday reader)
The Bear family teaches important lessons!!
Kaitlyn Insch
Kaitlyn Insch rated it it was amazing
Feb 17, 2017
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2016
DrosoPHila
DrosoPHila rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2016
Heidi Payton-Holstein
Heidi Payton-Holstein rated it it was amazing
Oct 25, 2016
Lydia Bingham
Lydia Bingham rated it liked it
Apr 08, 2014
  • The Berenstain Bears Give Thanks
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Curious George Goes to a Costume Party (Curious George 8x8)
  • Touch & Feel: FARM
  • How To Catch A Heffalump (Disney's Pooh)
  • The Three Billy Goats Gruff
  • When I Grow Up (Little Critter)
  • Christopher Robin Gives Pooh a Party (Winnie-the-Pooh story books)
  • Angelina on Stage
  • Henry and Mudge in the Green Time (Henry and Mudge, #3)
  • Baby Dear (Little Golden Book)
  • Emmet Otter's Jug-Band Christmas
  • How Spider Saved Halloween
  • Arthur and the True Francine
  • The Biggest, Most Beautiful Christmas Tree
  • Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark