Start by marking “The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream” as Want to Read:
The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream

The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream (The Berenstain Bears)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  2,143 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
After watching a scary movie, both Brother and Sister Bear are troubled by nightmares until Mama and Papa explain what causes bad dreams.
Published May 12th 1988 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published May 1st 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream

Vanessa Patel
who liked the space grizzles
Luisa Knight
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was an absolute favorite! I never tired of this book!

Ages: 4 -8
Jennifer Covington
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-aloud
For a little girl whose imagination is way too active in the dark!
Emily Garrison
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book was published in 1988 by Random House Publishing and is a book in the First Time Book series. This story starts out by telling us Brother bear loves Space Grizzlies and he collects and plays with them. Sister bear does not like them and thinks they're a little scary. Sister has no interest in playing with Brothers Space Grizzlies but her talks her into it...she'll play Space Grizzlies as long as he plays three games with her. One night, after going to the theater (Brother went to Space ...more
Tessa Hensley
Dec 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Brother thinks he is too old to have bad dreams, and Sister knows she will be too scared to watch Brother's space show. They end up playing with his new action figures anyway, but only if Brother will play some of Sister's games too. Eventually they both have bad dreams, but mom and dad explain it to them and make them feel better.

This book has very detailed illustrations that go really well with the story. From reading this book kids can learn what a bad dream is called (nightmare) and why they
Matthew Ledrew
Feb 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-childrens
The Berenstain Bears and the Bad Dream. This book, is awesome. Brother Bear has these action figures he loves and a movie comes out based on them, but it’s aimed at an older demographic. He begs and begs and eventually gets to go, then has bad dreams as a result.

I think this is a fairly relevant issue, both when it was written and today. This book came to mind a few years back when I was at a screening of The Dark Knight and there were seven-year-old's there. Those kids definitely had nightmares
Beth
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-reviews
This has to be my favorite of "The Berenstain Bears" series. It does such a great job of explaining the (un)reality of nightmares in a way even young children can understand. I think it has helped my daughter manage her feelings about bedtime and nighttime.

That, and it is utterly fun and hilarious. When my daughter was two, I used to tweak the wording a bit in certain sections dealing with evil lords and planet destruction, but now that she's five we just enjoy the ride. The part where Brother d
Olivia Bailey
The book explains what nightmares (bad dreams) are. Students can relate to this book book because a lot of children have bad dreams. It can ease the studnets if they had a bad dream the night before or that they remembered.

This book could also be a writing inspiration for students to write about a nightmare they had. They can use the book to get ideas. There story could be fictional or true. This allows them to release the anxiety or any bad emotions about nightmares.
Another writing activity cou
Connie
Sep 01, 2008 rated it liked it
You can stock your library with Berenstain Bears books, they're that cheap. And we all remember them from our own childhoods.

Unfortunately, they're really pretty wordy books. A lot of children in the age range for these books simply can't sit still through them.

This book takes it a bit further in that most of it is not about the bad dream at all, but about the events leading *up* to the bad dream. Which is great and realistic, but which may lead a small child (or a grown-up) to wonder what the
Stef
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
Brother Bear is obsessed with Space Grizzlies toys, while Sister finds them scary, and both of them wind up having bad dreams about them. This book took forever to the dream part: It was mostly about Brother getting SGs and coercing Sister to play with him, and then going to see the SG movie. The last fourth of the book is about the bad dreams, which were a mixed-up jumble of all the things they did or thought of that day. I don't have much more to say about this one, only that The Magical Toesh ...more
Shelli
Jul 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Stan and Jan Berenstain have a wonderful way of explaining situations that pop up in life in a way that makes sense to small children. In this book both Brother and Sister Bear have a nightmare and need to run to Mama and Papa's room to calm down. While I doubt this book will stop kiddos from getting upset over bad dreams, this may help parents on how to talk to their kids about them. The reminder of this book and how other kids, or cubs, have this same thing happen may calm your child down and ...more
Rosa Cline
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids, halloween, bedtime
This book is a really good way of explaining dreams to your older children (younger ones may not fully understand) but this was a very good explanation. Brother Bear enjoys a specific toy but it scares Sister. But she starts coming around to playing with them with Brother. But then later has a bad dream and goes to her parents bed and as they comfort her they explain what and why you have nightmares. Then not long after Brother has a bad dream and comes to Papa for comfort and Sister is able to ...more
George
One portion of Brother Bear's dream is of being a paper doll and his clothes coming off. In these young readers, it's annoying to have such unneeded distractions including a picture of this. I'd rather just read a book with my little one(s) and not have the child(ren) disturbed and spend time dealing with that in conversation. Life provides enough opportunity for that--so unnecessary to the book/story. Another child would think nothing of it, I'm sure. But why put it in there for those it does? ...more
Dusty
Jun 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-jayden
One of the strengths of the Berenstain books is their strength of focus, usually on a lesson relevant to the lives of children. A lesson -- a good one, about not worrying too much about scary dreams -- comes in the last few pages of this book, but everything up to that is beside the point. Both the story and the illustrations feel pieced together from scraps that didn't make it into earlier stories. Then again, maybe cohesion is not a virtue in kids' books -- my son loves this one.
Chelsea Horton
Dec 02, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: children-s-books
This book is about brother bear and sister bear having bad dreams. Sister bear saw a ballerina movie while brother bear saw a space movie. Still they both were scared of the same space people because brother bear plays with them all the time. I thought this book was just alright. I mean it was good, but I guess I was bored. It needed to speed up a bit or else I was going to fall asleep!
Trisha Danie
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
It is amazing how much we hold in our memories and how much of that affects our dreams. I can understand how afraid Brother and Sister were when they had their nightmares, I have had a few growing up. It is one of those occurrences all children have. They just bring out their imagination and creativity.
Jonah
Aug 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 1000-book-race
I've started to re-read these books with my son and this one didn't have a good flow like other Berenstain Bear books. It didn't have a resolve just an explanation of what a bad dream is. I expected them to either face their fears or learn to handle nightmare situations. The story built and didn't go anywhere in the end, so I was left unsatisfied with the story.
Nick
Dec 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
My favorite Berenstain Bears book from when I was a child, I don't think the message/theme portrayed in this one hit home with my 2-year old like some of the other Bears books tend to. It's visually one of the more fun books in the series, and does a good job getting the entire family involved in the story.
Shacoria
Jun 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a cute little children's book. It has that whole 'typical children's book' feel to it where you know that at the end of it everything is going to work out and everyone will learn a lesson. It's a very wholesome and innocent sort of book. I am planning to read many of the books in this series over the next few days.
Genevieve
Apr 17, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: own-it
This book was about a bad dream. I really, really didn't like this book because it was scary and I wouldn't recommend it because I wouldn't want other people to have a bad dream. I didn't have a favourite character.
chucklesthescot
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children
Brother Bear really wants to see a new film that is coming out but Sister Bear thinks that it sounds too scary and goes to watch something different. However both Bears have similar nightmares and their parents try to explain to them what causes bad dreams.
Simon
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Just picked this up; my Mom was describing using it in a tutoring program. Sister and Brother learn about nightmares after too much time with their "Space Grizzly" toys. Any parent or anyone who cares about young kids reading should hope these books are around forever.
Shannon
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chapter-books
03/16: Feverishly trying to manually import reviews on over 3,000 books from Shelfari to Goodreads. As I am cutting and pasting, I'll keep just this one book in the series posted. Suffice it to say the boys read and enjoyed many, many books in this silly series. They enjoyed them.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
This is one of the best Berenstein Bears books because of the way it handled the touchy subject of excessive horror movie watching and violence. I have always been a fan of how the authors handle touchy subjects. This is another excellent book for youth.
Dolly
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2009
This is a fantastic book that explains nightmares in a way that children can understand. It seems to be a bit longer than the average Berenstain Bears book, but our girls really liked the story and asked to read it again!

We've borrowed this one from the library a few times.

Stacey
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Students can relate to this book about having bad dreams. We all have bad dreams sometime in our life. This book will help the younger children understand what causes bad dreams. This would be a good book to read for a read a loud allowing students to conquer their fears.
Sarah Winters
Dec 17, 2012 rated it liked it
This book is something many students can relate to and would find some humor in it. I think the pictures are really creative and add to the story. It's smaller than most in the series so it appeals to a larger audience. Recommended for first to fourth graders.
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
I still hid under the blankets even after this BB story
Jeff Stockett
Mar 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
I loved the Berenstein Bears when I was little. This was my favorite one. I liked all the cool creatures and robots and other things that were in the bad dream.
Cory
Jun 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I wanted those action figures more than anything. Someone needs to get on that and make those things!
  • Just Going to the Dentist (Little Critter)
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Joy of Giving
  • The Puppy Who Wanted a Boy (Reading Rainbow Book)
  • My Goodnight Book
  • A Promise is a Promise
  • Where's Waldo?
  • Franklin's Bad Day
  • Meet Babar and His Family
  • Richard Scarry's Find Your ABC'S (Pictureback®)
  • Clifford's Manners (Clifford the Big Red Dog)
  • Arthur's Baby (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • The Christmas Story (Little Golden Book)
  • The Tooth Book
More about Stan Berenstain...

The Berenstain Bears (1 - 10 of 73 books)
  • The Berenstain Bears' New Baby
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to School
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Sitter
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to the Doctor
  • The Berenstain Bears' Moving Day
  • The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist
  • The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight
  • The Berenstain Bears Go to Camp (First Look Books, #7)
  • The Berenstain Bears in the Dark