Start by marking “Brainstorm: Harnessing the Power of Productive Obsessions” as Want to Read:
Brainstorm: Harnessing the Power of Productive Obsessions

Brainstorm: Harnessing the Power of Productive Obsessions

It's true: a mind is a terrible thing to waste. Yet that's what we do when we spend our weekend -- and neurons -- reliving a workplace squabble, spend a family visit chewing over childhood issues, or spend hours beating ourselves up when someone brings one of our own long-held (but never worked on) ideas to fruition. This kind of obsessing gets us, like a hamster on a whee ...more
Unknown Binding, 218 pages
Published April 15th 2010 by New World Library (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Brainstorm, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brainstorm

Start your review of Brainstorm: Harnessing the Power of Productive Obsessions
Magdalena
According to the Oxford English Dictionary I have on my shelf, an obsession is an unhealthy attachment to another person, being, object or idea; a condition in need of a cure. Eric Maisel’s latest book is not about a condition in need of a cure. Instead he writes about the productive obsessions at the heart of all meaning making. These are the big ideas and visions that great people pursue with the kind of devotion that is required to do anything long term and large scale. For artists of all kin ...more
Candywrap
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Make absolutely no sense.
Ron
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
Shelves: culture, psychology
Obsession according to Eric Maisel is the pursuit of some thing or idea to the extent that nothing else in the world matters. This is true, obsession always connotes an unhealthy focus on some thing to the detriment of every one else. Eric thinks there are two sides of obsession, the one described above and another type of obsession that he calls ‘productive obsession’. This is an obsession that can produce healthy positive things or ideas that will benefit mankind, if not mankind, then at least ...more
Rachel Cheeseman
May 14, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help
Do not buy this book. There are about 6 pages of it that are worth reading, but the rest of it is simply about the importance of naming something in your life as a "productive obsession." That's the thesis, and the substantiating work is a collection of comments from the author's website users at different stages of their experiment with a productive obsession.

Name your productive obsession. Figure out if an internal fear of failure or rejection or something else is keeping you from pursuing you
Paul Deveaux
This book starts out okay and then finishes with a wimper. It spends too much time defending and defining the idea of productive obsessions rather than talking about how to overcome the obstacles and actually do what you need to do. Maisel uses a lot of quotes from people in his groups to add substance to the book. Not a very practical book although Maisel does have some great ideas. I suspect that he got a lot of pushback from his academic peers for this idea and hence this book is a somewhat d ...more
Tami
Jul 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not all obsessions are negative. Some can actually make a real difference both at a personal level and for those around us. So says the authors of Brainstorm. In fact, having a good obsession may be the key to living a happy, healthy life.

Brainstorm asks us to look at that one thing we obsess about. Not the daily troubles or the problems but finding solutions and creating something worthwhile. Some people call it our life purpose. Others call it a passion. No matter what you call it, really it’
Sieran
Jun 18, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This could be better if there were some more tips and information about the phenomena, but...

I loved the basic idea, "Productive obsessions", loved the analogy of "neuronal gestalts of long duration", the tons of success stories, and troubling experiences of many 'productive obsessors', etc. it's an extremely encouraging, inspirational, uplifting book...

Also, I like this "making meaning" to combat "existential depression" argument! Existentialism......oooh...This is going to be one of my central
Jennifer Louden
I love so much about Eric's work. This book raises such great questions about how to risk big ideas, how to take on the hard challenges of creation, how to pony up to bigger ideas. I only wish he had given more insight into how to think deeper and develop ideas - Eric your next book idea!!
Sambasivan
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Found this book very useful particularly when i am chasing my productive obsession of reading one book every day this year.
Christie Wright
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book! Definitely for every creative person!
Deanna
Dec 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Just couldn't get into it. Seemed a bit rambling.
Jeffrey
Feb 01, 2015
Moroni Pickering
Aug 13, 2019
Sal Faruqui
rated it did not like it
Sep 17, 2015
Gilbert Ackerman
Jun 24, 2014
Mimi
Jun 21, 2010
« previous 1 3 next »

• Vinegar Girl
  • Find Your Artistic Voice: The Essential Guide to Working Your Creative Magic
  • The Renaissance Soul: Life Design for People with Too Many Passions to Pick Just One
  • Summer House with Swimming Pool
  • Refuse to Choose!: Use All of Your Interests, Passions, and Hobbies to Create the Life and Career of Your Dreams
  • The Art of Non-Conformity: Set Your Own Rules, Live the Life You Want, and Change the World
  • We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy
  • Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus
  • Outwitting the Devil: The Secret to Freedom and Success
  • The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
  • Make Anything Happen: A Creative Guide to Vision Boards, Goal Setting, and Achieving the Life of Your Dreams
  • Making a Life: Working by Hand and Discovering the Life You Are Meant to Live
  • Wired to Create: Unraveling the Mysteries of the Creative Mind
  • The Goal: A Process of Ongoing Improvement
  • The Richest Man in Babylon
  • Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-Free Productivity
  • The One Minute Manager
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
Eric Maisel, Ph.D., is the author of more than 40 books in the areas of creativity, coaching, mental health, and cultural trends. He is a psychotherapist and creativity coach, and writes for Psychology Today and Professional Artist Magazine and presents workshops internationally.

News & Interviews