Start by marking “The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories

The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1: Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories (Conan the Barbarian #1-8)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  390 Ratings  ·  27 Reviews
In the early 1970s, Robert E. Howard's Conan the Barbarian exploded on to the comics scene. Writer Roy Thomas teamed with a young artist named Barry Smith, and together the two mapped out some of the most stirring and memorable Conan adventures to come along since those written by Howard himself. Over the course of their 24 issue run together, Thomas and Smith defined Cona ...more
Published September 30th 2003 by Dark Horse Comics

To ask other readers questions about The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 1

Lauren
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This got exponentially better as I read... the initial stories were full of cheese. There was cheese later, too, but not nearly as thick as in the very beginning. I don’t like that Conan is consistently getting his ass kicked. He always returns the favor, but it’s kind of a monotonous formula after a while. And at the same time it’s what makes him different from the typical “superhero” I suppose. He’s definitely got a soft spot for beautiful women (who doesn’t?) and his naivete is part of the ch ...more
Victor Ahumada
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esto es mas que nada por nostalgia, son los comics que leí cuando era pequeño.
Greg (adds 2 TBR list daily) Hersom
It's a tad cheesy but the nostalgic sense of the 70's, Marvel, and Conan more than make up for it. Well worth the read for Conan and classic comic fans.
José Castel
Jul 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nota: 3,4/5 o 6,8/10
Christopher
May 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Paul
Sep 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
As a kid I had a few of the Conan magazines but never any of the marvel comics run. This book was my chance to check them out now as an adult. Being a marvel fan but also a fan of Roy Thomas's work as editor at marvel it seemed like a good way for me to enjoy Conan.

The art: Is good in this book and Barry Windsor Smith looks to be having a lot of fun here. The whole run in this volume is his which is nice. Conan does not have the bangs that I prefer him with but he does have a peculiar helm with
Helmut
Mar 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
Typischer Auftaktband einer großen Reihe

Ich tue mich schwer, diesem Band nur 3 Sterne zu geben. Aber auch wenn ich die Conan-Reihe auch noch so liebe, mehr ist für diesen Auftaktband einfach nicht drin. Sowohl Autor als auch Zeichner suchen noch ihren Stil, und gerade die Zeichnungen sind weit entfernt von dem, was Barry Smith in den Folgebänden auf Papier zaubert ("I must be mad, drawing all those coins!" sage ich nur zu dem fast obsessiv detaillierten Stil der späteren Bände).

Die Recolorierung
Baal Of
Mar 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Straightforward swords and sorcery, mostly swords. This isn't cerebral stuff, but for enjoyable low-brow adventure, it hits the spot. The artwork is a bit rough in the first couple issues, but improves by strides, and sets the groundwork for Barry Windsor-Smith's later mastery.
João Batista
Oct 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Como li em português... (Um aviso à editora Mythos: ISBN não está válido por aqui na Goodreads)
São crônicas, então vamos uma a uma.

- O Advento (!) de Conan: apresentação de Conan com um elmo bem esquisito; uma aparição revelada de Valúsia de Kull, o atlante exilado.
- O Covil dos Homens-Feras: um excessivo colorido para as armaduras desses homens-feras; uma releitura de O Planeta dos Macacos?
- O Crepúsculo do Deus Cinzento: uma nova aparição para Conan de seres de Asgard; um rei que não luta junt
Jim
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Although CoC is not as good as the more mature audience oriented Savage Sword of Conan, CoC is still a worthy title. I also give it a 5 rating because it does not have the benefit of one writer, one artist as most creator owned/Image Comics titles. So some continuity and quality is lost over the many different writer/artist teams of the title's run. There are some truly epic stories in this title that span many issues. SSC did to some extent, but CoC stories are even longer! I avoided this title ...more
Mariano Lastiri
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Al que no haya leido los relatos de Conan y quiera adentrarse en el universo del personaje, la verdad que esta adaptación no me resulta de lo más recomendable. No porque la adaptación sea mala, sino por es una aventura muy básica.
El arte de Barry Wilsor Smith es toda una lección de dibujo realista. Tal véz lo negativo es que estas historias estan demasiado pensadas para tener un coloreado y que el mismo es nauseabundo.
En fin, solo lo recomiendo si queres leer una tira entretenida sin demasiadas
Dan Choquette
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'd been going through a bit of an REH revisit so I thought I'd check out these comic which I don't think I'd ever read before. Strange to think the issues in this book are as old as I am, give or take. It's a fun read. The stories, some direct adaptions or paraphrases of REH stories, are good, fun and feel like the character. It's the art that I didn't care for. The Conan we meet here is a much younger, leaner character than the one in a post-Schwarzenegger world but that's ok. It's the helmet ...more
The_Mad_Swede
Jun 08, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy, 2008
The first volume from Dark Horse collecting Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor-Smith's legendary Conan series from the 70s contains the first eight issues from Marvel. While there is certainly a feeling of both Thomas and Windsor-Smith finding their footing on the series both in terms of textual storytelling and visuals, this volume includes the adaptation of Robert E. Howard's classic Conan story "The Tower of the Elephant", a story that works very well in both its original format and in Thomas and W ...more
JB
Aug 08, 2014 rated it liked it
Very cheesy stories with a fixed formula, cheesy dialogue, cheesy characters. Sword and sorcery, wizards and wenches. What's not to like?

If you're looking for just that, if you want to read some light reading, in between some heavier stuff, look no further.

Conan is a great character, a heroic thief/warrior with a strong feeling of honor who gets himself in all kinds of adventures.

The stories all have the same formula, which make them feel like episodes of a tv-series. I actually got introduced t
Pturingan
Mar 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, fantasy
This is actually part of a Robert E. Howard box set released by Dark Horse which also includes The Chronicles of Kull Vol 1 and The Chronicles of Solomon Kane.

This book was not bad at all. It's actually just a reprinting of the Marvel Conan series in the 70s with some new coloring thrown in but it was pretty good. There's even a nice essay in the back where Roy Thomas talks about Marvel and the comicbook industry in the 70s including a really cool story about how Stan Lee saved the Conan comicbo
Andre
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics-read
Started a little shaky (writer Roy Thomas says as much in the afterword) but something starts to click around the 4th issue when they adapt The Tower of the Elephant. The art really begins to breathe life into the world of Conan and Thomas's mix of adaptations and original tales are a joy, and really nail the tone, atmosphere and sensibility of R. E. Howard's original creation.
Brian Carpenter
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Finally got around to reading this first volume of the classic Marvel Conan stories. As others have said, including Roy Thomas himself, the first few issues are rough going as both the creators were getting their bearings. Tower of the Elephant is well done, and you can begin to see Barry Windsor-Smith shows signs of the amazing artist he is today.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Oct 25, 2011 rated it liked it
Thomas no se equivoca al considerar estos relatos como "historias de superhéroes con taparrabos". Hay, sin embargo, una magistral excepción en "La Torre del Elefante", quizás el primer clásico del bárbaro en viñetas.
Paul Young
Mar 30, 2016 rated it liked it
Conan had a long run with Marvel. It's a pleasure to start with #1 and read on through. It didn't take Thomas & Windsor-Smith very long to get in a groove with the characters, look, pacing, etc. Check this one out!
Rosa
Feb 28, 2012 rated it liked it
I liked this more then I thought I would. There isn't really an overarching story line in so much as we follow Conan as he drops into one adventure after another. Nice afterward at the end by the writer explaining how Conan got it's start in comics.
Quinton Baran
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
A good beginning to the marvel Conan series from the early 70's. I especially enjoyed the essay at the back by writer Roy Thomas and how the series came to be, and the early struggles with it.
Jim
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Anything with Conan is great.
Doyle
Digital re-coloring in this edition is awful. I'll wait till the next round of reprints to enjoy BWS's art.
Johan
Sep 03, 2016 rated it liked it
Some stories better than others, but nice collection.
Lucas Swanger
Feb 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Classic, wonderful art.
J.
Jul 08, 2011 rated it did not like it
All of these stories seem the same to me.
Christopher Ryan
Dec 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
Roy Thomas and Barry Windsor Smith did amazing work together. Here you can see them grow with each great tale.
Rin
Mar 28, 2012
James Julian Lim
Oct 20, 2016
Dejan
Jan 12, 2017
  • Conan, Vol. 3: The Tower of the Elephant and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 7: Cimmeria
  • B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, Vol. 1: New World (B.P.R.D. Hell on Earth, #1)
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Slaine: The Horned God - Part Two (Slaine #4)
  • Rex Mundi, Vol. 5: The Valley at the End of the World
  • Solomon Kane: The Castle of the Devil (Dark Horse's Solomon Kane, #1)
  • You Shall Die by Your Own Evil Creation!  (The Complete Works of Fletcher Hanks, #2)
  • Usagi Yojimbo, Vol. 26: Traitors of the Earth (Usagi Yojimbo, #26)
  • Thor Visionaries: Walter Simonson, Vol. 3
  • Conan the Defender (Conan, #2)
  • Essential Avengers, Vol. 2
Roy Thomas is a comic book writer and editor, and Stan Lee's first successor as editor-in-chief of Marvel Comics. He is possibly best known for introducing the pulp magazine hero Conan the Barbarian to American comics, with a series that added to the storyline of Robert E. Howard's character and helped launch a sword and sorcery trend in comics. Thomas is also known for his championing of Golden A ...more
More about Roy Thomas...

Conan the Barbarian (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 1
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 2
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 3
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 4
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 5
  • The Complete Marvel Conan the Barbarian, Vol. 6
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 2: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 3: The Monster of the Monoliths and Other Stories
  • The Chronicles of Conan, Volume 4: The Song of Red Sonja and Other Stories