Start by marking “Duchamp” as Want to Read:
Duchamp

Duchamp

A New York Times Notable Book of 1996
Booklist Editor's Choice, 1996

The celebrated, full-scale life of the century's most influential artist. One of the giants of the twentieth century, Marcel Duchamp changed the course of modern art. Visual arts, music, dance, performance--nothing was ever the same again because he had shifted art's focus from the retinal to the mental. Du
Published March 15th 1998 by Holt Paperbacks (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about Duchamp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Duchamp

Frank McAdam
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art-photography
No book in a long while has made me think as deeply about art as has Calvin Tomkins' excellent biography of Marcel Duchamp. Long before the end, it becomes apparent that it was Duchamp, not Picasso, who was the great artistic influence of the 20th century. Duchamp's constant refusal to see art as "retinal" and his insistence that any object made by anyone could be a work of art, made him a leading figure of movements as diverse as Surrealism and Pop. He had personal acquaintance with every impor ...more
Seamus Thompson
May 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I see from other reviews that there is some discussion/debate about Tompkins' strengths as an art critic and whether his admiration for Duchamp goes too far. I can't speak to any of these concerns as this is the first book about Duchamp I have read.

What I can say is that as someone who had a slim but strong appreciation for Duchamp's work and knew almost nothing of his life and personality, I found this book to be readable, interesting, and insightful. I understand much more than I did before.
Ashley
Jun 17, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
typical tomkins survey/ hagiography/gossip minus the attempt at a more formal critique of specific works that stevens and swan attempt in de kooning
cabanne dialogues more interesting
Danica
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm taking a class on Duchamp right now and this effortlessly readable biography has been such a fun companion to the more theoretical things I've been assigned. Seems pretty exhaustively researched, is humorous and entertaining, and is also great at discussing the various main interpretations of Duchamp's work and legacy.
Kevin McDonagh
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: art
The authoritative Biography on the original "non-artist". Until the very end, Dandyish Duchamp was determined to live a life of full of fun and optimism. His antics are awe inspiring as they are heart warming.
Sergio
Aug 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É um livro rico de fatos e descrições de uma época em que a arte esta dando largos passos, se transformando e transformando o mundo. Duchamp é um homem muito interessante e lúcido. Recomendo para quem gosta de biografia, uma dose de história e quer entender como a arte dos dias atuais foi gestada.
Brock
Dec 22, 2008 rated it it was ok
Although he was sociable and a leader in the Village art scene for decades, Duchamp always kept himself a bit aloof and didn't reveal all that much about his thinking or his personal life. This makes a biographer's job difficult. Tompkins does his level best to provide a context for the work, but while he uncovers information about how the work came into being (as in his account of the famous "Fountain" readymade) and does a good job of describing the formal qualities of individual pieces, he do ...more
Antiabecedarian
hey, WHO DID I LOAN THIS TO? Goodreads graciously downloaded the books I bought from Amazon, and since they don't come up on any list that I can get to, I had to go to Amazon to see what I actually bought when once I had money and didn't "borrow" books, myself, here and there.... so here I am, looking at a book cover of a book I am said to have purchased; yet, it is not with me. Who has it? Did someone take it while I was away? Who have I given this liberty to? WHO WHO???? WHERE IS DUCHAMP'S BIO ...more
Maria Gambale
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
A totally readable, casual set of interviews by someone who's comfortable enough with Duchamp to call him out on some funny little b.s. moments, but not so smart as to be able to really go deep into some of the trickier philosophies. I didn't expect a deep artistic analysis and I got in spades what I expected - a bit of insight into the thinking of Duchamp and the human being he was.
Doug
Feb 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Introduced me to an entirely new and lasting, I hope, influence on my sensibility. Solid biography except for some minor New-Yorker-magazine-edited-by-Tina-Brown type gossip intrusions in the text. (Tomkins was a reporter for the New Yorker).
David
Dec 21, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography, art
I wanted to know why Duchamp gave up art to play chess. Tomkins states he isn't going to speculate about Duchamp's interior life, and he sticks to his word. There are many facts about his day to day life, but after while it gets boring.
Liisa
Oct 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: other-nonfiction
Tomkins, along with Octavio Paz, is the foremost expert on all things Duchampian. I enjoyed this biography, because -- even through the cold, hard stare of the art historian and critic -- you can hear Tomkins' awe and admiration for the man I feel is 20th century's most important artist.
Tim
Sep 22, 2008 added it
I like the exhaustive biographical research put into this book, but Tompkins unabashed hero worship of Duchamp has been taken a bit too far, despite the long shadow Duchamp has cast upon art.
Roberta
Mar 15, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: art nerds
Very readable biography that immerses you in the world Duchamp lived in and explains the way Etant Donne got made.
Megan Kirschenbaum
Dec 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
A great biography of a very influential man by a very important art critic. The more I learned the more I liked Duchamp less, but that makes for an interesting read. A must read for any art lover.
scott
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the best Duchamp bio. I've read. A little rambling at times but awesome if you're into Dada or any other ism.
Joe
Feb 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
A favorite. I could read it every day.
David
Nov 30, 2012
David Sutton
Apr 24, 2017
Robyn Van Gennip
rated it did not like it
Oct 06, 2017
  • The Story of Modern Art
  • Dada: Art and Anti-Art
  • Powr Mastrs 1
  • Audrey: A Life in Pictures
  • Bomb the Suburbs: Graffiti, Race, Freight-Hopping and the Search for Hip Hop's Moral Center
  • Romantic Moderns: English Writers, Artists and the Imagination from Virginia Woolf to John Piper
Calvin Tomkins has been a staff writer for The New Yorker since 1960. He wrote his first fiction piece for the magazine in 1958, and his first fact piece in 1962. His many Profile subjects have included Marcel Duchamp, John Cage, Robert Rauschenberg, Merce Cunningham, Buckminster Fuller, Philip Johnson, Julia Child, Georgia O’Keeffe, Leo Castelli, Frank Stella, Carmel Snow, Christo and Jeanne-Clau ...more