Start by marking “A Knitter's Home Companion: A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes” as Want to Read:

stewart tabori chang a knitters home companion. this is a heartwarming collection of stories patterns and recipes. this book title will appeal to knitters interested in not only stitches features twelve fabulous knitting patterns and nine delicious recipes along with loads of short stories about motherhood home and the community. author michelle edwards. hardcopy 156 pages ...more
Published March 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Knitter's Home Companion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Knitter's Home Companion

Sonia Crites
Mar 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
This little book really was very charming. I enjoyed it and have found inspiration.
Cheryl
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: knitting
[apologies to anyone who read an earlier version of this--I pushed the wrong button and made it public before I was done with it.]

I got an advance proof of this book from ALA Midwinter. When I picked it up I was rather skeptical about whether I needed a book of "heartwarming stories, patterns, and recipes," but it was free, so I took it. My major question was: does this kind of book have any value for me when I have Ravelry at hand and any number of heartwarming knitting blogs and posts and gazi
Barbara
Jul 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was 3 and a half stars for me, but I am rounding it up to 4 stars. I am not fond of books that use recipes, and/or knitting patterns as fillers. I normally don't read this type of knitting book. In their Mason Dixon blog, Kay Gardner and Ann Shayne recently praised this book, so I got myself a copy. Edwards is a wonderful writer. She writes about her life, her family and her knitting heritage, and the meaning of knitting in our lives.

She describes her mother's way of knitting : " ...she kn
Bonny
Apr 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable book. It is filled with stories about knitting, personal recollections about the craft of knitting, recipes and some easy projects.

The projects in the book could be made for personal use or for gift giving. There's a lacey scarf I want to make and a baby blanket. My friend in ireland just told me she's expecting so this pattern is going to come in handy very soon :)

The book itself is very nice with drawings for each chapter and beautiful photos of the projects to make.

G
Julia
Mar 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was absolutely amazing. I recommend this not only to knitters, but bakers, people devoted to their families, etc. This was a beautiful book! I can't wait to share it with the other knitters in my life and to read again!
MrsRenee
Jul 10, 2014 rated it did not like it
Was not at all what I expected. I thought it would be a more general type of book with patterns and recipes but it's simply one person's viewpoints on life and her family. That's fine, but not what the title implies. I zipped through it in ten minutes, couldn't find anything of interest.
Linzee McCray
Apr 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cozy book. Made me want to curl up in a chair with a cup of tea and my knitting needles...reminds of all the best things about the art and craft of knitting.
Beverly
Apr 25, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very good read, Like chatting with a friend who enjoys knitting as much as I do.
Glynn
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
this book is just lovely! part story, part knitting stuff, part food. what's not to like?

it's also in a wonderful format and presentation.

can you tell i like it?
Mazohyst
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
(view spoiler) ...more
Bridget
Nov 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-reads
I gave this book two stars because 1 star apparently means you didn't like something and 2 stars means it was OK. And that's what this was. Not wonderful, not terrible, just OK.

I guess my biggest question is, why is this even a book? It is a series of brief recollections by the author of knitting and what it has meant during her life. Which is fine, but it just doesn't seem like book material to me, having read it. I think the stories are lovely, the patterns are fine, as are the recipes. But I
Laura Busch
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I'm a lifelong knitter, and i love knitting stories. This book is definitely worth a read. Easily read in bits and pieces. Relatable stories. Found myself nodding and smiling as I read. Includes recipes and patterns, win win.
Marilyn Olson
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a comforting read about knitting and family and all the loops we make that bring us together. It is also written by a woman from Iowa City, so many of the places she talks about are quickly recognizable.
Lynn Ball
May 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Truly heartwarming as the title says. It was like a big warm hug with the added attraction of more knitting patterns!
Sharon Sambuca
Apr 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
I delightful book for those who love to knit and cook.
Julie Barrett
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A Knitter's Home Companion by Michelle Edwards
A Heartwarming Collection of Stories, Patterns, and Recipes

http://www.openroadmedia.com/authors/... book trailer

Love knitting as much as I do reading a book, so combining these two things puts me in heaven.
If I read a book on my pc I can also do charity knitting for the hospital or other local charity.
This book starts out when she got married and how knitting has always been in her life one way
or another. The birth of a new baby she made a zigzag bab
Paula  Phillips
Mar 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
Are you a fan of knitting ? Do you just love to sit and browse through the hundreds of knitting books looking for your next challenge of creation ? Unfortunately, I'm one of those people who never inherited the knitting gene - I just couldn't get my fingers around it but my mum , aunties and Nana can all knit. This is the ideal present for the Knitting Lovers. The Knitting Companion though as other things that may interest you if you aren't a knitter and I loved the format that Michelle had writ ...more
Kate
Feb 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
This book achieved exactly what it set out to do – it was in many ways like a good friend. Michelle Edwards shares tales of her knitting adventures and how knitting interacted with her daily life of being a wife and mother.

There was so much about this book that I loved. I’m a bit of a crafty person and knitting is one of those things that I’ve dabbled in. The patterns that are included are beautiful and well explained. I enjoyed the mix of recipes, book suggestions and knitting patterns that end
Marcia
Interesting group of essays on knitting and relationships formed with those who knit. Patterns and recipes included.

Opening Lines:
Rody and I were married on a cold November evening--too cold to wear just my wedding dress and the shawl I had made, but that's all I wore anyway.

Interesting...
While working on a children's story about knitting, I found a historical note describing how loved ones, soon to be boarding ships, leaving hearth and home, possibly forever, held onto one end of a ball of yarn
Deirdre
Jul 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
I got a free time limited copy of this title from the publishers, Open Road Media, via Net Galley in exchange for a review.

Full review here: http://wyvernfriendknits.blogspot.ie/...

This is more a book about knitters than knitting. I found it quite a quick read and while it's not really the kind of book I would add to my collection it's a book I would have happily read from the library.

There are several patterns in the book but they are more background than foreground. There are also recipes and
Rhonda
Nov 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Michelle Edwards opens a door to practical hospitality for yarn lovers. Particularly slanted to knitting, it embraces crochet, weaving and spinning as well.

Reading "A Knitter's Home Companion" feels like a visit with a knitting friend. While the needles form stitch after stitch, the author shares her stories and some favorite patterns. Here and there a recipe pops up..as if our hostess suggests "Let's stop for a while. I have tea steeping and something to snack on." Then the conversation contin
Stephanie
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, knitting
Wanda brought me this one- she always brings me the new knitting books when they come in (she buys the 700s) before she puts them on the new book display.
This is just a sweet collection of essays on knitting, interspersed with a few patterns and recipes. I like reading stuff like this because it elevates my simple little hobby to something bigger, and because there are no knitters among my close friends so I don't have anyone who "gets" it. Books like this remind me that I'm not alone in feelin
Unit of Raine
May 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Warm and fuzzy essays on knitting and being a knitter. If you are ever in Iowa, she recommends some good fiber-arts groups ...
Includes some yummy sounding recipes and a couple of simple patterns.

I particularly enjoyed her essay on charitable knitting. I do very little charitable knitting, but if I switched to pure wool yarn (instead of the cheap & colorful acrylics), perhaps I would do more?

All in all, a very pleasant surprise birthday present from my godmother. For whom I will now knit a t
Megan
Jul 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I really enjoyed the essays on knitting and the patterns Michelle included. One of the reasons I gave this book two stars was the layout. I found the formatting of inserts and the way the sentences of the main text were broken up over the inserts to be very disruptive and confusing. By the end of the book the over use of commas and nonrestrictive descriptive phrases became annoying and redundant. This book would still make a great gift for a knitter, but I would recommend the Yarn Harlot first.
Skari
Nov 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book...It's similar to Faith, Hope, Love, Knitting, but I feel it's better written with more engaging stories about the author. The patterns following the stories are cute, and there's recipes as well, but I really enjoyed the stories themselves. This is a nice little hardcover book with beautiful glossy pages and nice pictures, very well laid out. I'd recommend this as a gift to anyone who loves knitting.
Amanda
Sep 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015
Sweet, endearing essays about how the craft links all knitters. Good writing. Patterns are sort of meh (book is sponsored by Lion Brand, not apparent from the outset), but her book reviews are engaging--I want to read them all! Food recipes also included for some reason. Only a few remotely dovetail with any of the essays.
Amy Steiner
Apr 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved this little book! If you are a knitter/crocheter, this book is a must for your shelf! The stories are heartwarming, the recipes sound delicious, and the patterns look wonderful! I borrowed this book from the library, but immediately order myself a copy as soon as I started to read it! Great book!!
Brandy
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Nice collection of stories about life, all include knitting. Knitting is more than a hobby; it is a sign of love. People who knit for others, love them. I liked her stories and how knitting is not just something we do, but something we are. Her stories weren't quite as catching as Ms. Herron's, but good all the same. Mrs. Edwards is a bit older I think.
Stella Fouts
Jan 10, 2014 rated it liked it
This is a pleasant little book that can be read in one evening. If you're a knitter, if you're a mom, if you enjoy the company of women with shared interests, you'll enjoy Michelle Edwards' weaving of the personal throughout her knitting projects. And you may even decide to make something new from one of the patterns she's included in the book. I plan to knit the lacy washcloths.
Nicole
Jul 06, 2011 rated it really liked it
Nice, cozy glimpse of an alien world where people are friendly and love to knit a lot. Made me feel inadequate. The people who write contemplative books about knitting, like ME and Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, are real knitters. I'm someone who knits some of the time, and is evidently inadequately reflective about the experience.
  • The Knitter's Book of Socks: The Yarn Lover's Ultimate Guide to Creating Socks That Fit Well, Feel Great, and Last a Lifetime
  • Socks from the Toe Up: Essential Techniques and Patterns from Wendy Knits
  • All Wound Up: The Yarn Harlot Writes for a Spin
  • The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns
  • Mason-Dixon Knitting Outside the Lines: Patterns, Stories, Pictures, True Confessions, Tricky Bits, Whole New Worlds, and Familiar Ones, Too
  • 10 Secrets of the Laidback Knitters: A Guide to Holistic Knitting, Yarn, and Life
  • Knit, Swirl! Uniquely Flattering, One Piece, One Seam Swirl Jackets
  • The Principles of Knitting: Methods and Techniques of Hand Knitting
  • A Life in Stitches: Knitting My Way through Love, Loss, and Laughter
  • KnitLit the Third: We Spin More Yarns
  • 200 Fair Isle Motifs: A Knitter's Directory
  • Finishing School: A Master Class for Knitters
  • Knitting 24/7: 30 Projects to Knit, Wear, and Enjoy, On the Go and Around the Clock
  • Mastering Color Knitting: Simple Instructions for Stranded, Intarsia, and Double Knitting
  • A Fine Fleece: Knitting with Handspun Yarns
  • One More Skein: 30 Quick Projects to Knit
  • Knitting Around
  • Circular Knitting Workshop: Essential Techniques to Master Knitting in the Round