Start by marking “Beyond the Far Side” as Want to Read:
Beyond the Far Side

Beyond the Far Side (Far Side Collection #2)

4.43  ·  Rating details ·  3,775 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews

The Far Side and the Larson signature are registered trademarks of FarWorks, Inc.
Published August 2nd 1983 by Andrews McMeel Publishing (first published January 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Beyond the Far Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beyond the Far Side

Peacegal
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Before "Bizzaro" was skewering the relationship between humans and animals, there was "The Far Side"...

Christopher Hicks
Jan 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I love The Far Side. It's demented humor at it's finest.
Andy
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Apparently 11-year-old me had occasionally great taste.
Charles
Jan 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
What can you say but these are just superb.
Mohd Rizal
Dec 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
The only reason I gave such a low score is because I bought another Far Side book and this one has 99.99% of all the jokes which I already have. I expected something totally different but apparently it's just. The same but in a smaller book. Not satisfied at all.
Laurel Kathleen
Dec 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Blah blah silly funny blah blah dad joke.
Himani Agrawal
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Some really hilarious sketches.
Conan Tigard
Nov 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Beyond The Far Side is even funnier than the first, The Far Side. The book is a fairly quick read since there are only 100 panels. This means that it is about one-third of a year of comic strips.

Gary Larson had pretty much perfected his humor by the time this book came out. While not all strips are very funny, at least they are interesting as they are usually a comment about the nature of mankind. Others make you smile. And still others make you laugh out loud. I always loved The Far Side when
Mark
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, far-side, comics
More inspired lunacy/genius from Gary Larson, this has a lot of great cartoons to recommend - from the penguin, in a flock, proclaiming “I gotta be me!” to the adventurous goldfish “The fool, he’s on the piano”; from the spider doing his web all wrong to the vulture, dressed in clothes, saying “Howdy, I’m a cowboy” - plus the cartoon that got me into the Far Side in the first place, after originally seeing it on a greetings card. Two mosquitoes, one normal sized, the other huge and the classic l ...more
TrumanCoyote
Aug 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
The second half is better than the first. At any rate, it contains a number of my favorites. Like the lady wondering what's in her front yard, or "It seems like every summer there's more and more of these things around." The unreachable guy in Hell and "Ooooooooo!" And the cow courtroom confessional and "Rusty's in the club!" "They turned it into a wastebasket?" and "Whoa!...That can't be right!"
Kaethe
Jul 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
1984 Jan 1

Who doesn't love the Far Side? Some are less than brilliant, but few are.

***

2012 Jul 23

Oh, who am I kidding? They're all pretty brilliant, they hold up delightfully. What I wonder is: was my sense of humor molded by The Far Side, or was there a twisted streak to it which Larson happened to share? The important thing is that the Offspring are enjoying these, too.

Library copy.
John
Jun 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
I remember being introduced to the Far Side by a very good friend after a heavy session of serious alcohol...

I know that it's nothing to be proud of [but it felt good at the time], yet I have often wondered if my state of alcohol-induced giggles was entirely down to the Far Side...

ANSWER = IT WAS....

The books are outstandingly still funny.
Tony
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this on a pile of papers that I was cleaning up. What a hoot! I forgot how much I loved his humor, and it's a lot more fun looking at dozens of "strips" at a time than waiting for one a day in the paper.

My favorites are the ones I have to look at for a while to figure out the joke.

Happily, since I was in the Larson mood, I found two large volumes among my book stash.....
Molly
Apr 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
As always, Gary Larson delivers. Beyond the Far Side is funny, provocative, and insightful, like all of Larson's books. Unfortunately, as with most comics strips, it's either all or nothing, love it or hate it. If you like Larson, then you are guaranteed to love this book. If you don't care for Larson...why are you here?
Tom Schulte
Feb 07, 2016 rated it really liked it
Larson's Far Side cartoons always make me laugh, I relish every collection I come across. I like the dark, wry humor. I always recall the unusual activities of cows depicted, but in this collection rhinos are as often the visual punchline.
ben
Apr 25, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Larson is not groundbreaking in his humor, his simply draws what most of us have thought before but never admit to anyone. Most of his humor lies in changing the perspectives we're used to. I like a man who still embraces his imagination.
Don Gubler
Aug 16, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
Odd takes on our tendency toward anthropomorphism with animals. Very funny.
2 Jon C
Oct 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a very funny book. If you understand a wide variety of humor this would be an excellent book for you. I found this book very interesting and funny
Lorena
Jul 12, 2012 added it
Shelves: priority
Kelly
Feb 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Almost each one is a laugh out loud comic.
Jeremiah
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor
My favorite cartoonist, period! I wish he was still working on new pieces-drat!
Stephen
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
C'mon. What's not to love about The Far Side? It marks the origins of cool, self-mocking geeks in our society.
Eduardo
Sep 04, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my first introductions to the concept of humor and comedy as a kid.
Kevin Keating
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Never gets old or dated. Love it.
Benjamin
Jun 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A good collection of Larson's exceedingly bizarre cartoons. It is a little short though.
Beau Johnston
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humour
The only reason not to read this book is if...... who am I kidding, there are no reasons.
Jess
Aug 02, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: z_09, comic
Not my favorite collection, but good, as they all are.
Jerome
Jul 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great collection of consistently humorous Far Side tales, silly but not to the point of being dumb.
  • Your Momma Thinks Square Roots Are Vegetables: A FoxTrot Collection
  • Billy and the Boingers: Bootleg
  • Scientific Progress Goes "Boink": A Calvin and Hobbes Collection
  • Get Fuzzy 2: Fuzzy Logic
19928
Gary Larson was born and raised in Tacoma, Washington. His parents were Vern, a car salesman, and Doris, a secretary. He attended Curtis High School before attending Washington State University and graduated in 1972 with a degree in communications. In 1987, Larson married Toni Carmichael, an archaeologist.

Larson credits his older brother Dan for his "paranoid" sense of humor. Dan would pull countl
More about Gary Larson...

Far Side Collection (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • The Far Side

• A House for Happy Mothers
  • Georgia Peaches and Other Forbidden Fruit
  • The Lace Makers of Glenmara
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Quaker Café (Quaker Café #1)
  • The Whiskey Rebels
    $12.99 $1.99
  • The Honest Spy
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone Crazy in Alabama (Ala Notable Children's Books. Middle Readers)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • We Are All Made of Stars
  • Angry Housewives Eating Bon Bons
  • Mercer Girls
    $4.99 $1.99
  • While the World Is Still Asleep (The Century Trilogy Book 1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Very Valentine
    $10.99 $2.99
  • The Cellar
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Clouds (Glenbrooke, #5)
  • Ireland