Start by marking “The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It” as Want to Read:
The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It

The U.S. Constitution: And Fascinating Facts about It

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  325 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
Talks about the Constitution, the Bill of Rights the Declaration of Independence and more. This book also presents insights into the men who wrote the Constitution, how it was created, and how the Supreme Court has interpreted the Constitution in the two centuries since its creation.
Published May 1st 1999 by Oak Hill Publishing Company (first published May 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The U.S. Constitution, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The U.S. Constitution

Megan
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Essential and important reading.
Frederick
Feb 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
So THIS is what everybody's been misinterpreting!
Lauren
Enjoyed reading this.
Erich Franz Linner-Guzmann
The Constitution of the United States of America is the supreme law of the United States. Something all citizens of the country should fully know and understand.
Kevin
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thanks to Durham County Library's Durham Reads Together program for providing a copy of this U.S Constitution, and encouraging our community to read it together. It was great to read it through again. I'm looking forward to the related programs coming up during October.
Ruthie Jones
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
We all (US citizens, at the very least) need to read the US Constitution every now and then to be informed, of course, and to remind us how far we have come as a nation and show us how far we still need to go.
Auggie Heschmeyer
Mar 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Mr. Jordan pads out the pages of this otherwise-short book with the most basic facts about the great (and not-so-great) men who helped craft the greatest and most influential system of governing the world has ever seen. Unfortunately, he writes with a "gee-whiz" sensibility that begins to grate almost immediately; there's only so many facts followed by exclamation marks I can take before wanting to put a book down. But let's be honest, no one's coming to this book to read Jordan's prose. You're ...more
Brad
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every person in the United States should read this book. From the so-called "slavery provisions" that raise the uncomfortable question of whether the Constitution was a compromise with the practice and what that means, to the Bill of Rights, whose listing and phrasing have yielded vastly different interpretations of the extent of our liberties, at least at a federal level, this document is a primary source of our political discourse and discord. While a majority of the text can seem droll, such ...more
Joseph
Feb 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
This book is small, easy to read, and filled with necessary knowledge any American should know.

I personally carried this book on my person through my four years of college. And it became an indispensable daily tool.

It provides a comprehensive look at the roots and origin of our nation's functioning, laws, and founding fathers, as well as the Articles of Confederation, the Constitution, and the Bill of Rights.

If you are a citizen who lives in America or in a country that has any form of extensiv
Kia
May 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Bought this edition to replace a pocket edition I'd been given years earlier that I could no longer locate. It's always a fascinating document to read. This book contains not only the Constitution but also the Articles of Confederation and the Declaration of Independence. There is a dandy section on the Supreme Court, including some of the best known Supreme Court cases. It's a handy reference item that everyone should have.
Claudia
Jan 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: the world
The book is essential for interpreting the headlines in the media these days. Ben Franklin said, "Our Constitution is an actual operation." Read it straight through and be amazed at how current it all is, how graceful the language is, how extraordinary and generous the vision of the Founding Fathers.
Preston Lee
Oct 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Americans of all ages and statuses.
Shelves: government, law, history
A most excellent annotated overview of the U.S. constitution: perhaps the most important American document ever created. Includes raw annotated text, notes on historical context, as well as interesting relevant tidbits regarding the men and women that contributed to it.

Overview: 5 of 5.
Recommended to: Americans of all ages and statuses.
Chris
Sep 09, 2002 rated it liked it
The Constitution bit was pretty sweet, but the Facts, for the most part, weren't particularly fascinating -- though I did enjoy the fact that there was once a proposed amendment to the Constitution to rename our country "The United States of the Earth." It failed in 1893, but nowadays, it might just have a shot.
Karen
Feb 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Every American should have a copy of the pocket size book with the entire text of the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and the Declaration of Independence. There are lost of interesting facts about our most importing documents along with the Founding Fathers and Supreme Court.
Tara Mensing
This little book will be very handy in the classroom. It is very informational and absolutely filled with facts on the "Founding Fathers", signers of the Constitution, landmark cases in Supreme Court history, a glossary to name a few! It is a MUST HAVE for every intermediate classroom and above!
Leslie
May 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brain Food:
Scandal Level:
Violence:
Must be ___ old to read:
Read if you liked:
Re-readability:
Thoughts:
Jim
Aug 30, 2015 rated it liked it
Good summary of the Constitution and related documents and the people who wrote the documents. I received this book as a parting gift for being on a jury.
Beto
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Great short read.
Vanessa Perez
Apr 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely unbiased, clear cut book. Not a lot of filler.
Rachel
I really liked it. ⭐⭐⭐⭐ ...more
Matthew
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The key document in the creation of our Nation and Government. Every American citizen should read the constitution and decide what it means.
Susanna - Censored by GoodReads
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: government
For a class I'm taking.
Christopher Dalla
Apr 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I didn't like the views of the people who were involved with the writing of the constitution. Rocky 2 is the worst movie in the series
Aphrodite
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: historical, life, school
Not sure how to rate this book since its the Constitution.

Jessica
Nov 26, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommended to Jessica by: school required
Everyone in America should own and read a copy of the Constitution. This little book also has a lot of other information about the founding of the U.S. and is pretty interesting.
Giada
rated it did not like it
Jan 22, 2016
Daniil Fedtsov
Jun 05, 2015
jeanne marie walker
Feb 23, 2016
  • The Constitution of the United States with the Declaration of Independence and the Articles of Confederation
  • The Order of Things: How Everything in the World Is Organized Into Hierarchies, Structures, and Pecking Orders
  • Christmas in the Trenches
  • Convergence of Catastrophes
  • The End of the Modern World
  • Another Sort of Learning
  • More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws
  • Building Powerful Community Organizations: A Personal Guide to Creating Groups that Can Solve Problems and Change the World
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to Weather: North America
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Reptiles and Amphibians
  • The Politically Incorrect Guide to Capitalism
  • The Great Heresies
  • The Merck Manual of Medical Information
“WHEN in the Course of human Events, it becomes necessary for one People to dissolve the Political Bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the Powers of the Earth, the separate and equal Station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent Respect to the Opinions of Mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the Separation.
WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness-That to secure these Rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its Foundation on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.”
0 likes