Start by marking “The Tell-Tale Heart” as Want to Read:
The Tell-Tale Heart

Read Book* *Different edition

The Tell-Tale Heart

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  57,842 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews
A murderer is convinced that the loud beating of his victim's heart will give him away to the police. ...more
Published 1998 by Books of Wonder (first published 1843)

To ask other readers questions about The Tell-Tale Heart, please sign up.
Sara I believe he is insane trying to convince us he is sane.
Many times he mentions that he isn't crazy because of one reason or another.
"TRUE! --nervous -…more
I believe he is insane trying to convince us he is sane.
Many times he mentions that he isn't crazy because of one reason or another.
"TRUE! --nervous --very, very dreadfully nervous I had been and am; but why will you say that I am mad? The disease had sharpened my senses --not destroyed --not dulled them. ... How, then, am I mad? Hearken! and observe how healthily --how calmly I can tell you the whole story."(less)
Gurmehar Reading the story, you will realise that the narrator has unbalanced thoughts. The story does not tell as to why does he want to kill the old man who …moreReading the story, you will realise that the narrator has unbalanced thoughts. The story does not tell as to why does he want to kill the old man who has striking blue 'vulture eyes'. It is the whole planning and strategising stage where he maps his steps for that one night where he would take charge and murder the old man. He did not stalk, as he was already in the same house as his caretaker, therefore, he kept an account of the old man's night routine and sleeping pattern.

The story is definitely creepy and a little disturbing, but it is so well written by Edgar Allan Poe, especially with the use of unconventional language( use of expressions - ha! ha!) which makes it very real and visual. Unlike other stories, it was easy to visualise the thought process, uneasiness and the anxiety the narrator had. (less)

·  57,842 ratings  ·  1,942 reviews

Start your review of The Tell-Tale Heart
Muhtasin Oyshik
The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe
description
A perfect haunting short story that will allow you to examine madness and wickedness at the depths of the human soul. It's not a horror story. But a kind of psychological tale. Strange the story. Easy to read. Quick to finish. Really loved this first-person storytelling. It's beautiful writing, and a very intense story will make anyone ponder for a long time.
And have I not told you that what you mistake for madness is but over-acuteness of the sense?

Good
NReads
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Typical Poe.

He is so descriptive, yet we don't actually know much about the narrator.

I think he's Poe himself.
Nayra.Hassan
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
لو عرف المجنون انه مجنون..اذن فهو عاقل

ا{و عرفت انه أنين الرعب و الهلاك..لا لم تكن هذه صرخة الم او حزن. .بل ذلك الانين الضعيف الذي ينبع من باطن الروح عندما تزيد رهبتها }ا
هذه القصة قوطية الطابع تتشابه كثيرا جدا مع القط الاسود ..
هي نموذج ممتاز للفصام الذهاني المتقدم..ممتزجا بالبارانويا في أسوأ صورها

ادجار الان بو/لافكرافت / ستيفن كينج / تولكين
هؤلاء الاربعة يتشاركون في شعرة من الجنون تظهر جلية في بعض أعمالهم..و تتوراي في بعضهما..لكن اذا راق لك يوما ان تفهم ماهي : الهلاوس و الضلالات ..المخاوف الهي
Jess the Shelf-Declared Bibliophile
a delightfully morbid, fantastical story. i love that the literary discussion opportunities abound. WAS he mad? was it guilt? was he being haunted? we can only guess.
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Tell-Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe

The Tell-Tale Heart by writer Edgar Allan Poe, first published in 1843.

It is relayed by an unnamed narrator who endeavors to convince the reader of his sanity while simultaneously describing a murder he committed.

The victim was an old man with a filmy "vulture-eye", as the narrator calls it. The narrator emphasizes the careful calculation of the murder, and he hides the body by dismembering it in the bathtub, and hiding it under the floorboards. Ultimately,
Ahmad Sharabiani
Jun 06, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
The Tell-Tale Heart, Edgar Allan Poe

Edgar Allan Poe is perhaps the ultimate author for fans of Gothic and macabre horror stories. Here is a carefully selected collection of his finest stories, this book includes, 'The Pit and the Pendulum', 'The Tell Tale Heart', 'The Cask of Amontillado' and many more.

The victim was an old man with a filmy "vulture-eye",
Sandra
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An unnamed narrator who is telling this story plots to kill an elderly man because he hates his horrible and scary "vulture eye"...

Enjoyable, atmospheric, fast and creepy read. Poe was a great storyteller!
Michael
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a quick little stab of the macabre this tale is! It's a classic example of the unreliable narrator, who tries desperately to convince the reader of his sanity even as he stalks, kills, dismembers, and buries an old man for no other reason than that the man's eye "resembled that of a vulture." Of course the harder he tries to convince the reader of his sanity, the more insane you realize he is: "You should have seen how wisely I proceeded--with what caution--what what foresight--with what di ...more
Paula
Oct 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Paula by: Sandra
A very dark story about a man's descent into madness. I really enjoyed Poe's unique, somewhat poetic, writing style. Perfect for my Halloween reading. ...more
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
"... it was not the old man who vexed me, but his Evil Eye."

The nervous narrator decides murder is the only way to rid himself of this horrible eye -- but he didn't plan for the old man's heart.

This is one of Edgar Allen Poe's most famous short stories, from 1843. The unreliable narrator tells about how he was undone by an old man's clouded, "vulture-like" eye and beating heart ... or was he?

description

The unnamed narrator is talking to another person, presumably a psychiatrist or policeman, trying his
Bionic Jean
The Tell-tale Heart, written in 1842, is one of Poe's best known short stories, despite its brevity. It is a study of the psychology of guilt, madness and paranoia, which are themes present in many of Poe's other works. The author uses a favourite claustrophobic device of his - (view spoiler) ...more
Cecily
Edgar Allan Poe’s very short story from 1843 still packs a punch.

A narrator of unknown age, gender, and relationship to an old man, defends their own sanity, as they explain how they planned his murder - a man who they say has never harmed them, and whose death would not profit them. Nor do we know if they’re talking to themself, a psychiatrist, God, the police, or unimagined readers, more than 150 years later. The only reason given for the killing taps into the sort of fears many of us have in
James
Sep 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
Who wouldn't find this insanity pure bliss? OK, possible exaggeration, but honestly... the rhythm and the beat of the words just make their own music in your mind and your breath as you read through them. A master... I wish I could have met him. Guessing what the noise is and what's going on around you... makes you want to watch the whole scene looking in from the window.

About Me
For those new to me or my reviews... here's the scoop: I read A LOT. I write A LOT. And now I blog A LOT.
Mohammed Arabey
قد يفقد الأنسان أعصابه..عقله
لكن ما لا يفقد هو الضمير
هكذا قال القلب

وهذا القلب الواشي سيحكي لنا نوع أخر من مخاوف السيد بو في قصة أخري محفوفة برموزه الكئيبة المعتادة المقبضة

يبدأ الأمر بالراوي الذي ستكتشف أن به خللا ما بالعقل..فهو يضطربه مجرد "عين" رجل عجوز

من هو هذا الرجل العجوز؟ وما علاقة الراوي به؟
هل هو أبنه؟ أتعبته عينه "شبيهة عين الصقر" المراقبة له دوما؟ شريكه في السكن؟
-بل أن البعض يدعي أنه راوية وليست راوي.. فأسلوب المتكلم هنا في الأصل الأنجليزي لايسمح بمعرفة الجنس-

ليبدأ الراوي في اعمال سيكوبا
Beverly
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best short stories ever written, scared the bejesus out of me when I was a teenager and as you know teenagers are scared of nothing, because they know everything. Ha!
Swaroop Kanti
Jul 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First published in the year 1843!

Edgar Allan Poe's The Tell-Tale Heart is a well-written short story. It is about a murder and where in, the muderer, who also happens to be the narrator in the book, tries to convince self and the reader that the act is justified. The gender of the narrator is not clear.

The reason behind the act is the vulture eye of the victim:

"It was open - wide, wide open - and I grew furious as I gazed upon it. I saw it with perfect distinctness -all a dull blue, with a hideo
Jason Koivu
Oct 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
A short story classic!

Poe had excellent timing in the pace for The Tell-Tale Heart, setting it to the quickening beat of a increasingly nervous heart. (Don't you dare comment below about how "the heart" mentioned in the story is the victim's, not the narrator's!)

Countless future writers, especially tv writers needing to tie things up within a half hour, would use this story as a framework for how to wring a confession out of a perpetrator.

Unfortunately, this story might not capture the terrifie
Flor
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excelente.!! ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Uno de los cuentos más conocidos de Poe. Me gustó mucho. Increíble como el autor, en tan pocas páginas, genera ese clima siniestro.

”Oí de pronto un leve quejido, y supe que era el quejido que nace del terror. No expresaba dolor o pena… ¡oh, no! Era el ahogado sonido que brota del fondo del alma...”

Reconozco que me fue difícil leerlo sin que me viniera a la mente este capítulo de los simpsons jaja 😂

Luciana Gomez Mauro
Me encantó, la escritura de Edgar Poe me gusta mucho. Y si bien es una historia corta, pero muy interesante.
Lo que se me hizo curioso, es que el protagonista dice: "No me confundan con un loco,por qué los locos no razonan" y eso no es del todo cierto. Hay muchos asesinos que están locos, y tienen un poder de razonamiento increíble por qué pueden cometer un asesinato y esconder el cadáver para que jamás nadie lo encuentre. Y para eso tenés que tener un poder de razonamiento magnífico.
Pero bueno,
Jeff
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I read this in English class about two days ago, and at that moment, I realized what true writing talent was.

It’s a beautiful story.
Haunted story.

I’ve never read that much of Edgar Allen Poe’s work, but snaps for him, cause at the end, my whole class went speechless.

This is a story where at the beginning, you really know what the hell is bloody going on , but by the end, everything ties together.
Everything.

A truly captivating story starring a madman.
Mohsin Maqbool
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
description

READING an Edgar Allan Poe story is like you were watching a macabre dance of death in a gothic theatre in the dead of night. Mr. Poe is a master of suspense – chilling suspense. He builds it up slowly – so slowly – that you start feeling scared and getting goosebumps all over your body. You can hear your heartbeat just like the narrator does in “The Tell-Tale Heart”. However, it is not his heartbeat that he is hearing but that of a sleeping old man into whose bedroom he creeps into. A situation
Carol
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Oh this is a really creepy good one!.......(listened to the audio this time)

An unnamed narrator is the nightly intruder that watches the old man sleep. He must put an end to the evil eye that haunts his days and visits his dreams. He must be so quiet as he sneaks into the black as pitch chamber.....night after night.....and then, a shriek! The deed is finally done, but.....the nightmare only begins.

THE TELL-TALE HEART is dark and spooky with a GREAT ending! One of my POE favorites!

Semjon
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: welt-amen-usa
The Tell-Tale Heart ist für mich die beste Kurzgeschichte Poes. Erstmals im Englisch-LK gelesen und ausführlich analysiert, hat sie auch 30 Jahre danach nicht an Reiz und Beklemmung verloren. Insbesondere die Szene, in der der Ich-Erzähler in Slow-Motion das Schlafzimmer des Alten im Dunkeln betritt und die Beiden dann eine Stunde in Starre nebeneinander auf den Anderen lauern, ist das mit das Beste, was es in Sachen Horror in der Literaturgeschichte gibt. EAP schreibt einfach hervorragend.
The Celtic Rebel (Richard)
Entertaining ~ Great World Building ~ Haunting ~ Original ~ Scary ~ Twisted ~ Unpredictable ~ Wonderful Characters

Poe's masterpiece of suspense and horror -- best way to describe it simply. Poe to me was at the top of his form here. The writing is so descriptive and just builds and builds in suspense as the narrator weaves his tale. It's creepy and fascinating as the narrator tells his story of paranoia and obsession; working to convince someone and the reader that he isn't crazy.

A true gem. I'v
Obied Alahmed
Jul 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
إنها ككوب نسكافيه لذيذة تتناولها في الطريق تستمتع بها ولكنها قصيرة
Christine
May 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christine by: Tom's fave, personal rec, many 5s
I couldn't recall if I had read this one in high school or not so downloaded it over lunch today. A real quickie, but highly entertaining. That guy was sick!!! ...more

p, is for Poe

4 Stars

Now this is the point. You fancy me mad. Madmen know nothing. But you should have seen me. You should have seen how wisely I proceeded –with what caution –with what foresight –with what dissimulation I went to work!

I have read A Tell-Tale Heart half a dozen times in my life and at every re-reading I am struck anew with Poe’s genius, he is one of the few writers I have ever come across who can entirely foreshadow a novel (or in this case short story) and yet still evoke e
Matt
Nov 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, classic, timeless piece of bare horror. A look into the abyss of madness when madness gloats right back.

Does it take a maniac to portray a maniac that way? I wonder.

Monica
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Un relato increíble que te atrapa por completo.
Me encanta su crudeza, la locura y la ansiedad que se sienten en cada página.
También me hace recordar el capítulo de Los Simpsons por supuesto, porque este a su vez me regresa al libro. Algo un poco bizarro, pero que enserio me pasa.
Esta historia me impactó la primera vez que la leí, y fue una de las que más escalofríos me causó.
A estas alturas ya casi todos la conocen, no se nieguen la oportunidad de leerla.
Además es muy corta, así que no les toma
Melina
Jul 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Η "Μαρτυριάρα Καρδιά" και ο "Μαύρος Γάτος" ουσιαστικά πραγματεύονται το ίδιο θέμα: Το πώς ένας δολοφόνος που έχει καταφέρει να καλύψει με πολύ προσεκτικό τρόπο το έγκλημά του, έτσι που κανείς να μην μπορεί εύκολα να το εξιχνιάσει, εξαναγκάζεται από ένα αφόρητο αίσθημα ενοχής να αποκαλύψει τελικά ο ίδιος το μυστικό του.

Ο Πόε για άλλη μια φορά δεν αφηγείται απλώς μια ιστορία, αλλά υπεισέρχεται στα άδυτα της ψυχής, πραγματοποιεί μια ψυχολογική μελέτη του αισθήματος της ενοχής και περίτεχνα καταπιά
Penguin Little Black Classics 1 5 Jul 26, 2018 01:10PM
Catching up on Cl...: The Tell Tale Heart -December 2015 53 129 Dec 29, 2015 09:48AM
Catching up on Cl...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Tell Tale Heart 1 34 Dec 05, 2015 07:24AM
The Book Its Self 4 44 Aug 18, 2014 02:08AM
An Abundance of B...: The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe - January SS #2 5 10 Jan 20, 2014 09:49PM

• The Lottery
  • The Monkey's Paw (Oxford Bookworms)
  • The Monkey's Paw