Start by marking “Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger” as Want to Read:

One of the great books of our time, Principia Discordia is the official bible of the most relevant religion ever conceived, Discordianism. This legendary underground classic contains absolutely everything worth knowing about absolutely anything. Discordianism is the religion for these screwed-up times, and Principia Discordia reveals it here for your enlightenment, confusi ...more
Published June 1980 by Loompanics Unlimited (first published 1965)

Be the first to ask a question about Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her

Start your review of Principia Discordia ● Or ● How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her: The Magnum Opiate of Malaclypse the Younger
Timothy
May 24, 2012 rated it did not like it

ERIS DISCORDIA, WHEN I SEE YOU AT SUMMERSLAM YOU'RE GONNA TAKE A BITE FROM THE APPLE OF COMBAT, BROTHER! WHAT DOES IT TASTE LIKE? IT IS A FLAVOR OF SORROW, DEEPER THAN THE CHASMS OF THE ELDER BEASTS! YOUR PHILOSOPHY IS AN EMPTY SKULL THAT I SHALL TRANSFORM INTO MY CHALICE, ERIS DISCORDIA! YOUR BEADED CURTAIN FOLLOWERS SHALL TREMBLE AT THE MIGHT OF THE WARRIORS! ORDER? DISORDER? THERE IS ONLY THE ENDLESS BATTLE FROM WHICH RESPITE IS NEVER GIVEN! IN ONE MUSCLE OF MY BODY THERE IS A THOUSAND TROJAN

Seizure Romero
"All things happen in fives, or are divisible by or are multiples of five, or are somehow directly or indirectly appropriate to five." Principia Discordia, p. 16

When I was five I won a toy car at a carnival. The car had the number 23 painted on the side. The numbers of my birth year add up to twenty. I was born in the fifth month of the year. It's 5:13 as I'm typing this. Coincidence? No, my fine friend, I think not.
Jon
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: your neighbors.
Recommended to Jon by: Tony
If I could give this a 1,000 out of 5, I wouldn't.

-The introduction alone will have you a devout follower of Eris.

-HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

-REMEMBER: King Kong died for our sins.

- ~~ OLD POEE SLOGAN ~~
When in Doubt, Fuck it.
When not in Doubt... get in Doubt!

A telegram sent to God:

-Dear God;
This is to inform you that your current position as deity is herewith terminated due to gross incompetence STOP Your check will be mailed STOP Please do not use me for a reference

Respectfully,

Malaclypse the Younge
Ramon
Aug 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
it is difficult for me to rate this "book." it is like asking a christian to rate the bible. but it actually isn't. like the Necronomicon, this book is also true. if you do not believe then you are certainly one of Gruad's ophidian henchmen and should be fed to Leviathan post-haste.
Tristy
Sep 26, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It looks like I am alone in really hating this odd little publication. Actually, I don't hate it, as I understand its purpose and value to some, and I understand why so many people dig it. And yet, it really makes my skin crawl. I didn't grow up under the yoke of any religious dogma, so I don't have the need to make all esoteric writings ridiculous. Believe me, I am a fan of the odd and nonsensical and I know this pasted together missive has been around since the 60's, and yet, it is empty. It's ...more
Michael
May 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Discordians, Chaos Magicians, The Illuminati
Recommended to Michael by: Steve Jackson
This, as everyone knows, is the Bible of Discordianism. Fnord. It tells everything a devout Discordian should not do in order to not be a non-Discordian. Fnord. It also contains much combined wisdom and lore, which should be ignored. Fnord. It was written by a man who lived inside a Post Office Box, before all Discordians migrated into Cyberspace. (Do you believe that?). It may be funny, but is it really a joke? Fnord. Fnord. Fnord.

I believe that Discordianism was a transitional stage between th
Arya
'A Discordian is Prohibited of Believing What he Reads'
- The Five Commandments (The PENTABARF)

Read that quote a few times. Then read the book. You might understand what it's about.

There will be some people who take this book to be their holy book and will memorize paragraphs and quotes, take detailed notes, and bury $3000 in their backyards. They are big fucking idiots and missed the whole point of the book.
Others will read it and see it as a confusing joke book and completely dismiss it.
Stuart
Mar 20, 2008 rated it liked it
Hilarious. If you are religious, please read this book and get over yourself. If you're not religious, you'll appreciate the points it makes through satire and sarcasm. You can find it on the Internet for free.
sologdin
Obviously just a satiric religion--similar to pastafarianism but not as inherently silly as alleging an inverse proportion of pirates to climate change or prophesying that one might be touched by the FSM's noodly appendage (still plenty silly however).

And yet there's a nucleus of Awesome here in the notion of Eris as the central deity, and that the cosmos is chaos worked over by contrary erisian and anerisian principles and forces. The philosophic core is difficult to dispute:
We look at the wor
Daniel Lambert
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Everything is true."

"Even false things?"

"Even false things are true?"

"How can that be?"

"I don't know man, I didn't do it."

This excerpt from a supposed interview with Malacylpse the Younger" (aka Gregory Hill), the co-author of this wonderful book, expresses the ideas presented in the Principia Discordia better than any review could.

What is the Principia and why has a game company published it? In the early seventies, conspiracy buff Kerry Wendell Thornley (who served in the Marine Corps w
Danny
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read this: Why haven't you read this book?

If you have read this: Why aren't you quoting it right now?

If you are quoting it right now: Why are you quoting it to me? I've already read the book.

Miss Ryoko
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Miss Ryoko by: Heather
Shelves: adult, borrowed
Actual rating: 2.5

My most darling love muffin read this book and loved it and immediately gave it to me to read... and much like the other books she's passed on to me to read, I unfortunately wasn't digging it. However, unlike the previous books she's lent me *cough Waterdeep cough* this one wasn't bad... the reason I couldn't get into it was because half the time I had no idea what the h I was even reading. It just all seemed too disconnected (which, I KNOW is the point) and I couldn't really
Chrissy
I was recommended this book by a person who I consider to be extremely intelligent. Having read it, I'm not sure why.

It might have hit a stronger chord in the 60's, before the idea of creating a new religion to shine light on the perversities of organized religion and human culture more broadly became relatively commonplace. I expect it *was* a shiny new notion back then, and I bet this book *did* ripple in the imaginations of the disenfranchised youth of the time. But to me, now, it read like t
Joseph
Sep 29, 2015 rated it liked it
There's a fun satire of religion in here, mixed with a bunch of other junk alternatingly funny, dated, and bizarre. I asked my pineal gland what was up, and it looked at me sternly and asked if I really thought I was a Cartesian. So screw that. I'm going to go have a hot dog, because screw Discordianism.

HAIL ERIS
HAIL DISCORDIA
HAIL HAIL
HAIL YES
Adam
Mar 06, 2007 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: sleezy guys with ponytails
An interesting breakdown of chaos magick. Reads like crazy person ranting on the street and a sleezy guy with a greasy ponytail, wearing a black velour button-up trying to get you to participate in his Sunday night basement ritual under the pretext of "building cones of power".
Ben Schultz
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: unratable
Life-changing shit here, fnord. Every time I re-read this, I wonder why I don't do so more often. Unratable, for obvious reasons, but also a five-star book in clear accordance with The Law of Fives, praise be un5 Eris.
Rickard Falk
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super funny and gives you a lot to think about.
It presents an interesting philosophy witch I am defiantly going to get deeper into.
Kirk
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
I loved Loompanics, and it really depresses me to know they're not around anymore. This was one of the first books I bought from Loompanics. I didn't enjoy it as much as the others I purchased, but I really attribute my apathetic nature towards this book to my expectations. I had read Gleik's Chaos and really thought this was going to bring my understanding of chaos to a new level. Instead I found an absurdist approach utilized in the text, with a lot of random imagery scrawled in the corners of ...more
Mike
Jun 17, 2007 rated it it was amazing
I'm actually still reading this in bits and pieces (it's kinda impossible to read a bible like this all at once) but it seems fitting of the spirit of the book to say I've read it when I'm not done yet, since "all is allowed" is one of the rules of Discordianism, the
"religion" of which this book forms the Bible, and even run-on sentences are not eschewed; nay, they are another way of expressing the inherent Disorder (Praise Eris, Goddess of Disorder!) in the Universe.

Every "ha-ha, only serious"
Robb Bridson
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book reads either as a hilarious satire of new age religion, a hilarious mockery of traditional religion, or a hilarious collection of really stupid things.

In any case, it's hilarious. And a quick read.
Fishface
Sep 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is my guide in all things. What more can I possibly say?
Zoutzak
Jul 19, 2016 rated it liked it
When in doubt, fuck it. When not in doubt, get in doubt.

Discordia schmiscordia...
I laughed out loud. Yawned loudly too.
Justin
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book is what "Be Here Now" would've turned out as if Ram Dass had taken a bad batch of LSD and lost his mind.
Chris Harris
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joshua Abraham Norton (born February 4, 1818 died January 8, 1880) was a San Francisco resident who allegedly went broke after cornering the Peruvian rice market shortly before a fleet of ships arrived from South America with fresh supplies and the bottom fell out of the market. Undaunted, Norton wrote to the White House informing the President that he'd been replaced, declared himself Emperor, and started printing his own money. San Franciscans thought this was fine, and happily accepted both N ...more
Richard Wu
Feb 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
“If a quixotic socrates studied zen under Zorba…?” [p.11]

I didn’t realize my life could be summed up in a sentence but that’s pretty damn close.

When I become a film director, I’m going to audition actors by asking them to recite passages from this book in an English accent.

Principia is almost uniformly hilarious. I’ve dissected its humor and found 3 things:

1. Clever wordplay
2. Absurdist ideas
3. Genius associations

Malaclypse would classify my classification efforts as aneristic, of course.

Why th
Bremer
Feb 18, 2016 added it
I wandered from town to town, searching for a rating to not give this book. Years passed. My beard dragged below my feet, withered and white. My hands had wrinkled, shredded of their flesh, curled into claws of bone.

Then over a horizon of green trees, I found a town. At the hostel I met a zen priest draped in orange robes. He was hunched over, letting a kitten lick his pineal gland. When I asked him his name, he turned to me.

"Why is there suffering in this world, why does entropy degrade these
Stuart Dean
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was worried that Eris Discordia wasn't the Goddess for me. As an Overman with the purist of Yeti blood running through my veins it seemed that I was locked into the Church of the SubGenius. Imagine my pleasant surprise when I found right there in the Principia that dual membership is allowed. I can be an honorary SubGenius and a dishonorary Discordian both at once. Hail Eris! Hail Hail! Hail Yes!

Now I am both a Prophet of Bob and an Episkopos of Eris. Discordia does not allow prophets because
William Maxwell
Admittedly, I picked this up on a lark when it hit the bookshelves (big fan of Steve Jackson Games) and for most of the book I was annoyed and amused by what appeared to be a slapdash production. I really wasn't sure why it was so popular.

The last sentence should prove why I'm an idiot.

Woven within a number of slaps and derision at modern culture is a remarkably thorough philosophical base and a great (and definitely different) take on how the universe works. Placing another axis on 'morality' a
Onyx
Oct 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Onyx by: A companion
This book is a wild ride. If I wasn't the person I am, I would have chalked this book up to being just totally out there in left field. But the writer has a method to his madness. You just have to wait for it.
There's a thin line running here between genius and insanity, and he gets dangerously close to falling over both sides at the same time. Don't ask me to be more specific about what I'm talking about with this book. You'd be wasting your time.
Yeah, it's that random. That Deliberately random
Justin Weiss
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I miss humor like this. Merges form and content in a way I love, and so rarely see. The great truths hit so hard, because you can't tell them apart from the satire.

Actually, the book reviews itself much better than I ever could:

"When magicians learn to approach philosophy as a malleable art instead of an immutable Truth, and learn to appreciate the absurdity of man's endeavors, then they will be able to persue their art with a lighter heart, and perhaps gain a clearer understanding of it, and t
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Prometheus Rising
  • The Illuminatus! Trilogy
  • Liber Null and Psychonaut: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • Cosmic Trigger: Die letzten Geheimnisse der Illuminaten oder An den Grenzen des erweiterten Bewusstseins
  • Condensed Chaos: An Introduction to Chaos Magic
  • The Book of the SubGenius
  • The Book of the Law
  • The Necronomicon
  • Schrödinger's Cat Trilogy
  • The Eye in the Pyramid (Illuminatus, #1)
  • Flowers of Evil: A Selection
  • The Secret Teachings of All Ages
  • Book 4
  • The Book of Lies
  • Magick in Theory and Practice
  • Quantum Psychology: How Brain Software Programs You & Your World
  • Everything Is Under Control: Conspiracies, Cults and Cover-ups
  • Practical Sigil Magic: Creating Personal Symbols for Success
There is more than one author with this name
Gregory Hill, also known by the pen name 'Malaclypse the Younger' (Mal-2), was one of the two writers of the Principia Discordia, along with Kerry Wendell Thornley (aka Lord Omar Khayyam Ravenhurst). He was also adapted as a character in The Illuminatus! Trilogy. During the early years of circulation of the Principia Discordia, rumors claimed that the au