Start by marking “The Late Great Planet Earth” as Want to Read:
The Late Great Planet Earth

The Late Great Planet Earth

3.08  ·  Rating details ·  853 Ratings  ·  110 Reviews
The impact of The Late Great Planet Earth cannot be overstated. The New York Times called it the "no. 1 non-fiction bestseller of the decade." For Christians and non-Christians of the 1970s, Hal Lindsey's blockbuster served as a wake-up call on events soon to come and events already unfolding -- all leading up to the greatest event of all: the return of Jesus Christ. The y ...more
Published May 11th 1970 by Zondervan (first published 1970)

Paul Bryant
Jan 05, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: godreads
Revived review to commemorate the imminent presidency of Donald J Trump. Now, I'm not sure he is the actual Beast as mentioned in the Book of Revelation, but I understand that the possibility is mentioned in the Dossier of Horrible Trump Facts which has been discussed a great deal this week. So you know, maybe, that's all.

And I beheld another beast coming up out of the earth; and he had two horns like a lamb, and he spake as a dragon (Revelation 13:11)

*****

This book has been on my radar for yea
Werner
Mar 08, 2008 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Not recommended
Recommended to Werner by: A college classmate
Note, June 5, 2014: I just edited this review (from 2008) slightly, to correct two typos that I discovered.

Written in a world steeped in social injustice and oppression, a major theme of the Old Testament is that this deformation of society is a result of rebellion against God, and that God is on the side of the oppressed and will act decisively at the end of history to usher in a new order of justice and righteousness for those who respond to Him in faith and obedience. The New Testament builds
John
May 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone....
Shelves: must-have-books
This book is what answered the questions that I had about why we were here, what was wrong with the world and where we were heading...

in other words, after reading this book I gave my life to Jesus Christ... March 1975.

The problem with the world is sin. God provided a solution, found only in Jesus Christ.
Susan Budd
Apr 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Lately I have been rereading some of the books of my youth, but my nostalgia has not been completely assuaged by rereading. Apparently it would also have me read some of the books I missed. The Late Great Planet Earth, published in 1970, is one of these.

It shouldn’t be much of a surprise that I missed this bestseller. At the peak of its popularity I would have been reading my paperback copy of The Way ~ the Catholic paraphrased Bible with the pictures of three groovy teenagers in the bubble let
Seth Pierce
Apr 29, 2013 rated it did not like it
"Interesting book isn't it?" asked the man sitting next to me on the plane.

"Um...yes" I said, unsure of how to effective communicate the reality of this book's impact on Christian eschatology and the reality of its ridiculousness.

Steeped in Scofieldian Dispensationalism, this little work inspired the Left Behind novels and has altered the landscape of Bible believing fundamentalists everywhere--with the exception of scholars who wish this theological framework had never found the light of day.
Sandi
Sep 22, 2008 rated it did not like it
Shelves: religion
I read this back in the late Seventies or early Eighties. It was very compelling reading at the time. Lindsey was so convincing in what he was saying, but it really was a bunch of bull.
Steve
Aug 28, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: theology
Absolute Rubbish!!
Lee Anne
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: prophecy, christian
Interesting to see the pagan reviews on this one. Funny how they say "none of this has happened". Just wait! ;-) They themselves are fulfilling scripture with their very comments! (2 Peter 3:3-14; Jude 17-19)
Ned
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is the meat of the "Left behind" series. Consider it the adult version. Hal Lindsay does a great job of researching and quoting the research of others regarding the biblical prophesies of the end times. He makes it interesting by applying what he discovers to his current time,the late 60's. He is not a prophet, he freely admits that, but he tries to apply the prophesies to the then current times. Israel's emergence as a nation, the Soviet union and the rise of a European common market.

I giv
Tim
Dec 04, 2008 marked it as misc
Just like reading the end of the year horoscopes the following year, nothing that Hal presented at prophecy ever came to pass. He simply did what a great many people did during the 70's; he rode the coat tails of former fear mongers and wrapped his book with the supposed reliability of the bible. Let's face it, the language of the Old Testament invokes fear because it is nearly always synonymous with doom, the end of things, catastrophe, disaster, etc.
Sigh.
Reminds of the book, "88 Reasons why t
Bill
Jul 27, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got right into this book at high school! It became the topic of a running debate between an atheist friend and myself. I recall making bold predictions about world events that were going to leave him speechless when they were inevitably fulfilled! Yes, well, about that... :) Let's just say I won't be recommending this book to anyone nowadays.
Randy
Sep 26, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pretty much started with my high school days search for the truth. Read it and act accordingly.
John
Dec 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Interesting look at the End TImes from the perspective of the social, cultural, political climate of the late 1960's early 1970's.
I read this when I was 18 years old and had grown up never hearing about the End Times in general and the rapture in particular.
I was so facinated I became a voracious reader of anything end-times related.
Several non-Christians that I lent the book to in college ended up accepting Jesus because of the urgency of the message.
I heard Hal Lindsey speak many times
Curtis Chamberlain
Feb 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this book the first time way back in 1988, I think. I was amazed then, and I am still amazed now!

What an accurate Biblical accounting of end times prophecy! Hal Lindsay leaves no stone unturned---no mystery to be discovered---in his explanation of what is to come according to the Bible.

Fact-filled, historically and scientifically accurate, this book leaves no doubt as to the future for believers and non-believers alike. Every believer should be praying that non-believers get hold of this
Katie
Feb 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I do like this book. It is very interesting if you are interested in biblical prophecy. It is a classic and it's interesting how much of what Hal talked about 40 years ago is still applicable to what is happening in the world today.
Alex Stroshine
Oct 10, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology
Trash theology. How, almost 50 years after the publication of "The Late, Great Planet Earth" does Hal Lindsey STILL have an audience?

But...but this is an important book to read. After the Bible it was the best-selling Christian book of the 1970s. To read it in all of its dated glory is a "trip." But one also finds clues as to why a certain strand of Christians are suspicious of the UN, EU, and the papacy, obsessed with events in the Middle East, and favour spiritual individualism as they cast as
Andy
Mar 04, 2011 rated it liked it
The 1970's were an incredibly strange time. If one wants to get a real feel for the decade, this book, arguably the key seminal text in the then-burgeoning "Born-Again" Christian movement (which quickly evolved/devolved into the Moral Majority movement of the 80's), is a definite must on the reading list. This mighty screed, perpetrated by the infamous Hal Lindsey, is one of the few books I've ever read simply to see what all the buzz was about (LGPE was quite the sensation, especially toward th ...more
Mike (the Paladin)
A fairly interesting read. The book is based on a fairly literal read of prophecy and an attempt to apply modern political forms to match it to an end time picture.

Oddly later I read some of the same ideas elswhere and wondered who wrote it first.

Read, enjoy. i to am a Christian and believe prophecy is in the Bible for a reason, but I also believe Christ when he said His return would be a t a time "you think not". I sort of think prophecy may be there somewhat so God can say "see I told you so."
Jaime Contreras
Hal Lindsey wrote this book decades ago to warn believers and non-believers. Decades later, it still resonates with impact and applicability. It is a faith-provoking book about the end times as foretold in the Bible. Given that it cited then-current events in some instances, some may shrug this off as fantasy. But, I would argue that it is even more applicable today.
Libertine
Oct 01, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
Fundamentalist claptrap...
Yelibenwork Ayele
The Late Great Planet Earth is one of the most popular and one of the most misleading books on end time prophecy.

It begins by assuming that Jesus prophesied about the last days of this world when he spoke at length in response to the disciples' questions in Matthew 24.

Hal Lindsey's inattention to the context of Matthew 24 is responsible for the errors he has sown on the pages of his bestseller. In Matt 24 Jesus had just pronounced the destruction of the temple when his disciples asked him, "Tell
Tom Lombardo
Feb 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone researching the End Times movement
Hal Lindsay’s The Late Great Planet Earth kicked off what has become an incredibly influential spiritual and political phenomenon in American life – namely, the belief that we are living in the “End Times.”

The End Times is a period of amoral turmoil that precedes the rise of the Antichrist and that culminates with the return of Jesus Christ. Believers are convinced that prophecies from the Apocrypha and the New Testament – especially The Book of Revelations – are coming true all around us, “prov
Valerie
Jan 14, 2009 rated it liked it
Wow, that was a blast from the past! For some reason unknown to me Ned ordered this book on inter-library loan and so it was right in front of me when I finished my last book and I thought, why not read this 1970 vintage "classic"? It sure reminded me of the way things were back then. Interest in astrology, man landing on the moon, worry about the "population explosion", the Russian (actually USSR)communist threat, the mysterious communist Chinese, the threat of nuclear war. Yep, those were the ...more
Bob Ladwig
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
I actually thought this book was great when I first read it as a young Christian, as I have matured and rejected dispensationalism and it's theological mother premillenialism, Lindsey's explanations of the prophetic writings of the Bible really fail to make much sense. Lindsey's interpretation is espescially meaningless to the 1st century church to whom the book of Revelation was written initially, yet the book promises to be beneficial to the readers thereof, and they were expected to understan ...more
Karol
Apr 19, 2008 rated it liked it
I picked up this book when I saw it in my local library, because I remember my mom and dad studying it with a group of people from our church when I was a teen-ager. Since then, the Left Behind series has come out along with a whole slew of end-times fiction and non-fiction books. So the ideas don't seem as controversial and "new" as I'm sure they did 30 years ago. It was very interesting to read from the perspective of what is going on today. Although the political landscape has changed a bit ( ...more
Karin
Mar 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
This was a reread after about 30 odd years.I was impressed then,beeing young and impressionable.This time the only thing that got my attention me was the prediction that China would emerge as a Worldpower.Also, the emergence of the African -Arab block was a little suprising,but here we are.Is it a lucky guess?
Donald Weaver
I like this book, and I feel that what Lindsey has written... supports what is written in the bible. If you have a bible in hand, as you read Lindsey's book TLGPE... I just don't see how anyone can say he is off track.

Clara Cardet-barden
Jul 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazingly scary, read it this past week, and as I read and glanced at the television, I realized this is what this book is telling me, although it was written 44 years ago! Russia, the Middle East, etc., all playing the foretold role, maybe not exactly, but close enough! A must read!!!
Opa
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book brought me to Jesus Christ as my savior in 1972.
One Trick
Dec 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Not Meant to be science fiction alot of time wrongly labeled, it researches the end times and put it in a text for you the reader to understand when and where events unfold.
  • The Third Millenium: A Novel
  • Footsteps of the Messiah
  • The Rest of the Gospel: When the Partial Gospel Has Worn You Out
  • Edgar Cayce on Atlantis
  • Revelation:  Four Views: A Parallel Commentary
  • Beyond the Cosmos: What Recent Discoveries in Astrophysics Reveal About the Glory and Love of God
  • The Genesis Flood: The Biblical Record and Its Scientific Implications
  • The Kingdom of Matthias: A Story of Sex and Salvation in 19th-Century America
  • The Meaning of the Millennium: Four Views
  • The Man of Sin: Uncovering the Truth about the Antichrist
  • Dreams and Dreaming (Mysteries of the Unknown)
Hal Lindsey is an American evangelist, best known for his books on end times prophecies, including the bestseller The Late Great Planet Earth.
More about Hal Lindsey...
“As world events develop, prophecy becomes more and more exciting...This writer doesn't believe that we have prophets today who are getting direct revelations from God, but we do have prophets today who are being given special insight into the prophetic word. God is opening the book of the prophets to many men. This is one reason you will find on Christian bookshelves an increasing number of books on the subject of Bible prophecy.” 0 likes