Start by marking “Eustace and Hilda” as Want to Read:
Eustace and Hilda

Eustace and Hilda (Eustace and Hilda #3)

3.89  ·  Rating details ·  150 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The three books gathered together as Eustace and Hilda explore a brother and sister's lifelong relationship. Hilda, the older child, is both self-sacrificing and domineering, as puritanical as she is gorgeous; Eustace is a gentle, dreamy, pleasure-loving boy: the two siblings could hardly be more different, but they are also deeply devoted. And yet as Eustace and Hilda gro ...more
Published August 1st 2001 by NYRB Classics (first published 1947)

To ask other readers questions about Eustace and Hilda, please sign up.

CQM The Shrimp and the Anemone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
The Sixth Heaven https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Eustace and Hilda,…more
The Shrimp and the Anemone https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...
The Sixth Heaven https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...
Eustace and Hilda, unfortunately there doesn't appear to be a separate goodreads page for the final part of the trilogy, possibly because it shares it's title with the three book anthology.(less)

Imsathya
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reread-soon
It has been a while since I completed reading this trilogy. I read the first book separately and having much enjoyed it, starting hunting for the sequels. It was almost three years later that I found to my delight, the trilogy edition.

Though I recall snatches only of the plot, what has endured in great detail is the flawed characters of Eustace and Hilda. That is perhaps the intent of Mr.Hartley as well. Through various plots, sone of them unnecessarily long, what we eventually discover is somet
Emily
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily by: Gary
Shelves: fiction
An old-fashioned novel in the very best sense of the word: psychological, philosophical, funny, and heartbreaking. It's slow-moving, as these types of books often are (don't pick if up if you're looking for an action-packed adventure), but it's one of those books that makes the reader very picky about what follows it as far as fiction goes.
CQM
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british, favourites
This is a review for the final part of the trilogy also titled Eustace and Hilda. I've reviewed the first two parts elsewhere.
This final part brings everything back to the beginning, indeed after the majority of the book takes place in Venice with seemingly nothing happening the last section of the book takes us almost in reverse order back to the beginning of the first installment.
Like the first two parts this book takes place almost entirely in Eustace's mind. From the most dramatic of inciden
Bori
Apr 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
(I saw bits of myself in Eustace till the very end. A little in love with Antony. Made me miss the sea.) Beautiful, beautiful.
Lawrence
Jun 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Great book for the summer: endless, and I was always glad to have a chance to read it. Completely absorbing: perfect for long bus or train rides, or spending the entire afternoon in a hammock.
Gila Gila
Jan 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2014
Three novels presented in volume - and they really do read more as one novel in parts than three separate entities - about the lifelong and often trap-like devotion between a rather timid but very bright younger brother and his dictatorial older sister. The writing can be slow going (taking place in early 1900s England, the language cadence is musical, the descriptive passages often lengthy, and the general restraint one would expect is even thicker with Hartley). But much of it is beautiful, pa ...more
Rebecca
This book was well written. Thought provoking. A bit depressing.

For those looking for squeaky clean reads, this one was pretty clean.
Katie
Aug 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classic, fiction
Beautifully written trilogy about a brother & sister. I found the last third a bit slow-going, but it was worth it. What a gifted writer!
Kristen
Dec 06, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I love Hartley's most famous novel, The Go-Between, so I decided to try out this much more obscure trilogy. Eustace and Hilda reads like one long novel depicting a too-close relationship between the titular brother and sister over the course of their lives. Like the Go-Between, Eustace and Hilda showcases Hartley's strengths: elegant prose, vivid (and sometimes sinister) depictions of the natural world, and excellent development of setting. I did feel like the psychology of this book was slightl ...more
Annie
Sep 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not rivetting, that's for sure, but ok for bedtime if one is already a bit sleepy. Definitely a 'small doses' book. It rather fascinates, though.

It may not be Proustian, but it seems to have the flavour - and Remembrance of Times Gone By (or whatever it is in English) was a book I thoroughly enjoyed in small doses over a couple of months. If you read Proust in small bits at a time, I don't think he ever becomes boring.

well, the book of Eustace in University is one big yaaaaawwwwwwwwwn. None of
Brandon
May 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
(please note the Stein and Day hardback has an introduction by Lord David Cecil that should be avoided until after reading due to spoilers- why would they put that in as an introduction?!)

Solid read, slow paced at times, but really transports the reader to a different time and place. Hartley really puts the reader in Eustace's mind within this book often sacrificing real action. His restraint, worry and dependence on others is fully felt.

The first book was the best for me and I read that one qui
David Standing
Jan 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
L.P. Hartley had something of a checkered literary career. He is best known for “The Go-Between”, by a large measure owing to the wonderful film and recently television, versions. “The Go-Between” is a remarkable novel, but it is the lesser known “Eustace and Hilda” that is, to my mind, his greatest achievement.

Sadly, other than “The Hireling” (1957), the quality of his output declined radically, and the novels he continued to write are surprisingly banal, especially when one recalls, “The Go-Be
Tom
A severe disappointment after the brilliance of Hartley's THE GO-BETWEEN. I can't claim to have finished it, having decided that I'd had enough of neurotic little Eustace, surely the most clueless little boy in all of world literature.
Isabel
Aug 01, 2010 rated it it was ok
My 2nd attempt at this book. So hard to get 'into'. I know I shouldn't expect all of his books to read the way The Go-Between did, but so far it's a bit of a disappointment
Peewiglet
Aug 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If I was absolutely compelled to choose, this is the book that I would nominate as the greatest I've ever read. Sublimely written and imagined. Time to read it again, I think!
Paul Smyth
Jun 26, 2014
Jane Woolley
May 30, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
NYRB Classics: Eustace and Hilda: A Trilogy, by L.P. Hartley 1 6 Oct 22, 2013 09:36PM
  • Summer Will Show
  • The Wooden Shepherdess (The Human Predicament, #2)
  • Irretrievable
  • Adventures of Sindbad
  • Angel
  • The Outward Room
  • Seven Men

Eustace and Hilda (3 books)
  • The Shrimp and the Anemone