Start by marking “Yoga for Emotional Balance: Simple Practices to Help Relieve Anxiety and Depression” as Want to Read:

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  324 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Emotional balance is within your reach—when you cultivate the intelligence of both your body and mind. Bo Forbes, a psychologist and yoga teacher, presents an integrative approach to healing anxiety, depression, and chronic stress. In this book, she offers some of her most important teachings and practices, including:

• restorative yoga sequences designed to balance anx
Published March 8th 2011 by Shambhala

To ask other readers questions about Yoga for Emotional Balance, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yoga for Emotional Balance

Heather Pagano
May 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all my yoga friends
Recommended to Heather by: Yoga Journal
Shelves: yoga
Psychologist and yoga teacher Bo Forbes uses the resonance between psychology and yogic philosophy to explain restorative yoga to practitioners and teachers in a manual that includes (but goes far beyond) explaining how to get into and out of the poses. She links anxiety to the rajasic guna, depression to the tamasic guna, and strives to find emotional balance (sattva). Revelations to me included: 1. that depression and anxiety are two sides of the same coin and stem from the same causes 2. that ...more
Debra
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
There are many, many books about yoga and healing, but I have to say that I particularly liked this one. It was clear, concise and felt actionable. This book is all about the idea that the body holds onto negative emotions and that the mind is not the only/complete way into understanding and accepting and ultimately growing from suffering. It presents, as author Bo Forbes describes it, 'building blocks for healing': balancing the nervous system, regulating the breath, cultivating direct experien ...more
Kayla Grzech
Mar 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
I've struggled with anxiety/depression for almost all of my life, and have spent many years trying to understand why my brain works the way it does. This book explains how anxiety/depression affect more than just our minds, and how simple things like breath work, posture changes, and simple yoga practice can disrupt the negative cycles and patterns of anxiety/depression. For anyone who has practiced yoga, this book also explains why certain asanas will cause an emotional response. Forbes combine ...more
Andrea Bussinger
Jul 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
As a licensed counselor and yoga teacher I'm interested in how yoga can be used for mental health in a clinical setting. Having taken specialized trainings in mindfulness and yoga for PTSD, and read those articles that are floating around on brain change, I'm obviously more interested in techniques that have a sound clinical rationale. Yet I'm also always looking for books to recommend to clients, that would be compassionate and approachable.

This book straddles the line quite nicely between the
Kylie Poppen
Oct 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, ptsd
a practical guide to using restorative yoga and meditational breathing to soothe depression and anxiety. at times the claims lack science instead relying on anecdotal evidence, but the encouraged practices are easy to experiment with and are nonetheless relaxing!
Robin
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I never really understood the value of restorative yoga until reading this book. Forbes gives a good explanation as to why and how restorative yoga is beneficial, especially for people who experinece anxiety and depression.
Shannon Enete
Mar 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wellness
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to try some of it.
Melody Schreiber
Nov 24, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, reviewed, netgalley
Bo Forbes, a longtime therapist and also a yoga practitioner, struggled with the disconnect she saw between the physical and emotional therapy worlds. Often, she says, “we can feel, rather than think, the emotional experiences that heal us.” Instead of just talking through emotional patterns, she began introducing breathwork and restorative yoga poses into her clients’ therapy plans.

This was a time before the emotionally healing benefits of yoga truly took hold in Western society, and Forbes was
Kandice
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you suffer from anxiety, depression, or a combination of both and want something natural to restore your equilibrium, I would recommend this book. Forbes, who has a background in clinical psychology, maps out the benefits of restorative yoga as well as other psychologically supportive methods which can assist anyone having issues in these areas. Even if you only have the occasional episode of stress or sadness, the restorative yoga sequences outlined in this book are extremely useful. I would ...more
Abby Rosmarin
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Easily one of the best books on yoga's impact on your personal and emotional life. Usually books that string yoga practices in with mental well-being can get very self-helpy. The authors would usually come across as more-enlightened-than-thou and it would be a pill to get through the book. This book is written like a best friend with a good set of knowledge on a subject is talking to you. It's easy to read, easy to digest, and even easier to take away the important lessons. I'm one of those peop ...more
Cindywho
Dec 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meditation-yoga
I'm lucky because I actually get to take yoga classes from this teacher - so I was curious about her book. The execution is a little awkward with some repetition and a few odd bits, but the techniques and information that she imparts are very interesting and helpful. She integrates insight meditation with breath and restorative yoga, with the intent of getting the mind and body on board with healing anxiety and depression. I haven't yet attempted the yoga part outside of class, but the breathing ...more
cuifen
Jun 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
This is an excellent read as much for the wisdom it contains about emotions, anxiety and depression as it is for the yoga sequences themselves. In a way, the yoga is far from the central focus of this book. It's just there as one part of a much more holistic roadmap to mental and emotional health. While the concepts in this book are very valuable and I have found myself making notes on some of the ideas/methods I want to remember and keep with me, I feel that the number of props required for the ...more
Emily Crow
Yoga is an amazing tool for balancing the emotions, and the body, and I would recommend yoga to just about anybody. I am a bit less sure about this book. It has some good insights, but ultimately is not a "keeper" for me. I bought it a few years ago (though only now got around to reading it), when I was suffering from a lot of anxiety. (Ultimately, I "cured" my problem, unexpectedly, by a change in diet, which I only noticed a while after the fact. So I ended up not needing this book after all.)
Andrea Hickman Walker
I can't always do yoga the way I want to (though perhaps if I spent more time with my yoga for chronic pain book I would), and restorative yoga is fantastic for those times. Especially for someone with both anxiety and depression. The breathing exercises are fantastic (though my favourite for calming down remains alternate nostril breathing - the 1:2 ratio seems way too hard sometimes!) and I like that I can do most of the postures with as many assisting props as necessary on the day.
Amaris Morin
May 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Some great information and an amazing approach to how meditation and yoga can help ease the burden of anxiety and depression, but I felt like I kept reading the same information over in each chapter, which definitely got old fast. However, I love the meditations she offers, definitely worth it for those.
Anna
Apr 13, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This book finally helped me understand what the point of meditation is, or rather, exactly what meditation is doing in the brain. It always seemed like such a pointless exercise to me, boring and a waste of time. Then the author linked the idea of samskaras in Indian philosophy to the idea of neuroplasticity, and suddenly it makes complete sense to me.
Angie
Jul 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
I almost never read non-fiction books all the way through (I skim the first few chapters) but this one I read at least enough of that I felt like I could add it to my "read" books list. It is one of the most helpful books about anxiety, depression, and mind/body meditation I have read (okay, skimmed).
Nancy
Jul 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Simple effective and hopeful practices and approaches. If you take just one or two things from this book your state, and therefore life, will be better and easier. It is refreshing to see an approach to anxiety and depression that gets out of the mind. Read this book.
Emily
Oct 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Actually reading through this book put me to sleep, but the exercises are very helpful, I even led some sessions of 1:2 breathing in my office! I had taken a few restorative yoga classes but didn't really "get it" and so it was good to know more of the underlying theory.
Jay Kay
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
I bought this book mostly for the practices in the back dedicated to depression/anxiety relief. I would recommend this book to anyone seeking a way to make change, as an addition to a mental health regimen.
Julie
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent book that describes body and depression/anxiety in a unique way, with practices for all. Gets into greater nuance about restorative yoga than any book I've seen. I would have liked to have seen a few more pose sequences, but other books do that nicely. A good addition to my yoga shelf.
Apr 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is such a clear and helpful book. From breathing practices to restorative poses, the author provides lots of guidance, so that even a novice student of yoga can receive much benefit. I am VERY glad I read this book!
Stephanie Elms
Dec 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic information and I have found the poses extremely helpful in centering myself when I need them. I was really amazed to see how my body reacted differently to the anxiety vs the depression poses.
Kristina
Apr 05, 2011 rated it liked it
The content was interesting, but became predictable after a couple of chapters. I liked the insights on the emotional and physical connection. I hated how few pictures there were! If you talk about a yoga position you should insert a picture. So only somewhat helpful for me.
Valerie Sherman
Mar 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Liked it enough that I bought it after renting from the library. I'm interested in meditation and coming more into balance emotionally, so this book was perfect for me. It also makes me want to start up my Western-style yoga practice again!
Lauren
Mar 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
A local yoga-therapist makes a case for a number of restorative poses to heal the body and mind. Helpful to someone practicing yoga regularly.
Kristen
Feb 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. She really articulates how powerful yoga can be to help us calm down/feel more positive. And she sheds light on the importance of restorative yoga!
Aug 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant!
Ever
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had been looking for a guide with more emphasis on breathwork, and this fit perfectly. An excellent read; definitely worth taking the time to absorb each chapter.
MJ
Jun 23, 2011 rated it liked it
Easy to skim and still can glean pertinent information.
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga Cures: Simple Routines to Conquer More Than 50 Common Ailments and Live Pain-Free
  • Yoga Body Diet
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Yoga as Medicine: The Yogic Prescription for Health and Healing
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body
  • The Wisdom of Yoga: A Seeker's Guide to Extraordinary Living
  • A Year of Living Your Yoga: Daily Practices to Shape Your Life
  • The Secret Power of Yoga: A Woman's Guide to the Heart and Spirit of the Yoga Sutras
  • Yoga for Anxiety: Meditations and Practices for Calming the Body and Mind
  • Fierce Medicine: Breakthrough Practices to Heal the Body and Ignite the Spirit
  • The Power of Ashtanga Yoga: Developing a Practice That Will Bring You Strength, Flexibility, and Inner Peace--Includes the complete Primary Series
  • Yoga for Wellness: Healing with the Timeless Teachings of Viniyoga
  • Yoga The Spirit And Practice Of Moving Into Stillness
  • Healing Depression the Mind-Body Way: Creating Happiness Through Meditation, Yoga, and Ayurveda
  • Mindfulness Yoga: The Awakened Union of Breath, Body, and Mind
  • Light on Prãnãyãma: The Yogic Art of Breathing
  • Awake in the World: Teachings from Yoga and Buddhism for Living an Engaged Life

Nonfiction Deals

$6.99 $2.99
  • Hello Mornings: How to Build a Grace-Filled, Life-Giving Morning Routine
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
    $13.99 $1.99
“When we push for immediate results and instant healing, we never inhabit the important in-between phase, which is where much of the learning and growth actually happen.” 0 likes