Start by marking “Clouded Vision” as Want to Read:
Clouded Vision

Clouded Vision

Published February 1st 2011 by Orion (first published December 23rd 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Clouded Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clouded Vision

Start your review of Clouded Vision
Lance Greenfield
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The strength of this story is not so much in the murder mystery, but in the intrusion of a fraudulent psychic who makes a living out of exploiting the vulnerable families of missing persons.

The prologue, entitled Setting the Scene: Ellie, describes the death and ingenious seclusion of the body from the victim's point of view. That builds the suspense on which the rest of the story is founded.

Each chapter describes the progress of the plot from the perspective of one of the characters, and the
Don Sparrow
Mar 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Started this book this morning at Starbucks with a "grande bold". This is the first "Quick Read" that I have ever read. As I was taking my last sip of coffee I read the last page.I was thoroughly entertained by L.B.'s latest chilling suspense story. Could not put it down. Good surprise endings ( that's right, plural ). I won't make a habit of these "Quick Reads" but they're very good for once in a while. Linwood Barclay has successfully left behind his career as a writer for the Toronto Star ...more
Sally Whiteside
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I do love a quick read. Great story for my first book by Linwood Barclay.
Matt
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Such a great (and short) novella, I hardly had time to read it before it was done. I have always liked Barclay (shout out to being CANADIAN!!) and this one did not disappoint. Barclay sets the scene quickly and then uses each chapter to focus in on the three main characters, offering narration in the third person from their point of view.

The story was good... the plot held my attention... I liked how he worked things into the story, both essential and window dressing. And, of course, the true
Lee
Mar 25, 2015 rated it liked it
This was a good book but I got a shock as I did not realise it was such a short story. Shame as if it had been developed further it would have made an excellent novel as the premise of the story was very good.
Les Edgerton
Jul 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Edgar Allan Poe invented the short story and Linwood Barclay carries on the tradition admirably with as good a tale as Poe himself might have created. Billed as a novella, it edges closer to the short story form, and, as such, was perfect.

The "trick" to creating a great suspense/mystery story is that the close reader is able to figure out the major turns just a sentence or two before the narrative delivers. This is one of the toughest things a writer can attempt to do. If the surprise is guessed
Col
Feb 19, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013, b
Synopsis/blurb.....
Keisha Ceylon is a psychic. At least, that's what she passes herself off as. The truth is, Keisha's real powers have more to do with separating troubled families from their money than actually seeing into the netherworld. Keisha watches the news for stories of missing family members. She gives it a few days, then moves in, tells these families she's had a vision, that she may have some clue to where these missing people are. And by the way, she charges for this service, and
Movie Vet
Oct 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
Entertaining enough that I breezed right through it. I'm curious how "Never Saw It Coming" will be, considering it's based on this book.

Edit - Skip this and just read "Never Saw it Coming", I think. As soon as I started "Never Saw It Coming" I noticed that from chapter 2 until page 117, it appears that "Clouded Vision" is included in the book (Not sure if they changed anything in between, but the beginning and end are exactly the same). From page 117 onward, "Never Saw it Coming" continues where
Sharon
Jan 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Too short

I love Linwood Barclay but this story left me wanting more. He does know how to hook you in.

I wanted to know what the real psychic knew as nd if the pregnant daughter got what was coming to get and if the fake psychic was caught for murdering the father in self defense. Serves me right for reading a short story
Giuseppe Ruotolo
Apr 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
One star from me. I am a Barclay fan, unfortunately I stopped reading the moment I realized this was just a condensed version of Never Saw It Coming. Reading a 90 page novella was going to take away the enjoyment of reading the proper book. Nowhere on the cover tells you this. At least if he had used the same title I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. Shame.
Plum-crazy
Jul 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
I do enjoy these Quick Read & this was no exception. An entertaining read with a nice twist & an ending that had me smiling with satisfaction. Well worth an hour (or less!) of anybodies time :o)
Beth
Mar 16, 2011 rated it it was ok
Meh. Very predictalbe twist. No really likeable characters for a story that needed them. Quick read, though.
KL Caley
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Premise: Keisha Ceylon is a fraudulent psychic who passes herself off as possessing real powers in order to extort money from vulnerable families with missing family members, in return fpr psychic predictions regarding their disappearance. When Keisha spots Wendell Garfield on tv pleading for information regarding his wife’s disappearance she decides to pay him a visit. However, the man might not be quite as innocent as he looked on camera.

I am a Linwood Barclay fan. His books are all quite

Elaine
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve read this twice now, once a while ago and again today. Thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Having read many of Linwood’s books, this was as enjoyable as the full length books. I love the way he twists and turns the plots, especially when there doesn’t appear to be any way to go, but he finds a way. One of my favourite authors.
Giles Ellis
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Part of the Quick Reads series and it definitely was. An enjoyable tale with a nice twist in the middle ( although it's not too difficult to see coming). A very easy read, definitely not great literature even by Linwood Barclay's standards but it kept up the pace all the way and I wanted to keep reading.
Nicola Mansfield
This is just a very short novella. Half of the book is a preview of "Trust Your Eyes". Anyway, I love Barclay and have read all his books and found this at a thrift store so had to pick it up. As I said it is short and you could see the end coming a mile away. Barclay is a good writer so the plot kept you reading but I've read much much better short story mysteries.
Michelle Taylor
Nov 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
Maybe it was because this book was so short but it really didn't grab me like Linwood Barclay's other novels. The who did it came sort out of left field for me. The story was a good concept but it just needed more to be likeable.
David Beniston
Dec 02, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: barclay
Predictable. Thanfkully it was short
Nessa
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Brilliant short story. Was gripped from start to finish. Loved it.
Tracy Tomic
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Turns out this one is a novella...aka short story...and took me about 10 minutes too read. Not worth the 10 minutes!!!
Janey
Short story. Not brilliant, not quite to my taste - Keisha Ceylon is a fraudulent clairvoyant. Really?
Eleanor Taylor
Nov 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed
Totally different ending to what I expected , enjoyable
Jo Daniels
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A good short story with a surprising twist I didn't see coming.
Terri
Nov 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a great short story (96 pages), by Barclay. He never disappoints.
Tim
Sep 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Excellent short story. A few twists, & turns along the way. Well worth a couple of hours of my life!
DeannaJakes
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books, kobo
Amazing. Just as any other Linwood Barclay book
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
A concentrated example of why Linwood is so good at writing mystery
Tahieuba Latif
Apr 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Part of the Quick Read Challenge
Meet Keisha Ceylon – she’s a nasty piece of work. She tricks families with visions she says will lead to missing loved one. however, one of those dodgy visions gets too close to the truth. someone doesn’t like it – and they’re ready to kill to keep a terrible secret safe. This chilling tale will make your blood run cold.

Barclay began his book career in 2008, before that working in a newspaper column in Toronto Star, Canada’s largest circulation newspaper. He is
Kerrie-ann
This is a quick read book with only 96 pages and 16 chapters. The text is quite big and as it is a short book you will be able to get through it quite quickly. The action starts in the opening chapter of this book where you find out what has happened before it gets into the rest of the story, kind of like a backstory to get you catched up before you continue reading. The main outline of the story is a woman called Ellie has been murdered and the basic plot of the story is finding out who killed ...more
Elusive
May 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
In ‘Clouded Vision’, Keisha Ceylon is a conman who pretends to be a psychic and targets families in distress. Now she’s found her latest target – a man whose wife has mysteriously disappeared. However, she gets more than what she bargained for when her supposed visions reflect the truth.

The disappearance of the wife seemed fairly straightforward in the beginning but it was intriguing mainly because the author did a good job creating a suspenseful atmosphere. Bit by bit, details about what had
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Les, you caught me! 1 13 Nov 16, 2012 08:59PM

• Bloody Valentine
  • Strangers on the 16:02
  • Wrong Time, Wrong Place
  • Cleanskin
  • Too Good To Be True (Shetland Island, #6.2)
  • The Great Cornish Getaway
  • Clean Break
  • The Noble Path
  • Woman on the Edge
  • The Perfect Murder
  • The Opposite of Maybe
  • On Swift Horses
  • Nothing to Hide (DC Constance Fairchild, #2)
  • The Turning Tide
  • The Easy Way Out
  • All These Lonely People
  • The Little One
  • Sweet Heart
Linwood Barclay is the #1 internationally bestselling author of seventeen novels for adults, including No Time for Goodbye, Trust Your Eyes and, most recently, A Noise Downstairs. He has also written two novels for children and screenplays.
Three of those seventeen novels comprise the epic Promise Falls trilogy: Broken Promise, Far From True, and The Twenty-Three. His two novels for children –