Start by marking “The Crane Wife” as Want to Read:
The Crane Wife

The Crane Wife

After Yohei tends a wounded crane, a beautiful young woman begs to become his wife and three times weaves for him an exquisite silken fabric on her loom.
Hardcover
Published 1981 by William Morrow & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Crane Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crane Wife

*TANYA*
May 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Short. Cute. The ending was abrupt. I bought this at a book store because I want to read Patrick Ness's version of this story.
Diane
May 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
This children's book features a Japanese folktale about a mysterious woman who can weave beautiful cloth. I found this book in the library's juvenile section, and was struck by the lovely and haunting illustrations. I'm fascinated by folktales from around the world, and was happy to have discovered this gem.
Lluvia
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: the-crane-wife
Retold by: Sumiko Yagawa
Grade: 3rd Grade

This love story is about a man who finds a wounded crane. He helps this crane and saves it's life. Later, he meets a woman who wants to become his wife. She is so beautiful he can't resist her offer. It's winter time and Yohei doesn't have enough food for both of them. His wife asks if she can weave, so she does. She asks Yohei not to see when she weaves. They sell the beautiful cloth for money and live comfortably for some time. During the middle to the e
4eyedreader
A classic Japanese folk tale, that is also one of the most haunting supernatural romances you will ever read. The Crane Wife is a powerful story that subtly reflects how the temptation for material wealth - may cost the greatest wealth of all - true love! The Crane Wife is a Goodread.

Readers who enjoy, The Crane Wife, might also like to read, Sandman: Dream Hunters by Neil Gaiman and illustrated by Yoshitaka Amano; or, The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses by Paul Goble.
PvOberstein
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Surprisingly haunting.

Borrowed via the Internet Archive at: https://archive.org/details/cranewife...
Jenny Jo Weir
Shout out to my bestie for gifting me this book! Good story, just wish there was a little more to the ending.
Hana Sm.
Oct 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: asian
This is a Japanese folktale about a poor man who finds a wounded crane near his home on a stormy wintry night. He nurses it back to health and sets it free. The next night a mysterious woman shows up on his doorstep and asks to be his wife. He is excited to have someone living with him because he was very lonely. Soon the food runs out, so the woman suggests that she try to weave a cloth that he can sell it in town. But she warns him to never look at her while she works. He agrees but wonders wh ...more
Lisa the Librarian
Retelling of a classic Japanese folk tale. I enjoyed the story and really liked the artwork. I would like to read other versions by different authors to see how this one compares. This was translated by Katherine Paterson so counts toward this year's current community reading project (ProvoREADS). It is one of my two favorites by her (the other is also a Japanese folk tale) but did find some of the words to be a bit mature for small children.
Mayer
Jun 09, 2015 added it
I think it is a great book so i want to read it but as this is the first time i'm trying to read here. i dont know how it works
Rebecca
Jul 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids
A beautiful parable. The artwork is stunning
Michael
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very good! I wasn't familiar with this apparently important and oft-told Japanese story. The art in this rendition is quite effective, and the story is interesting and suspenseful.
Akemi G.
May 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of the most well-known folklore in Japan.
Universal truth: People will do what they are told NOT to do.
Mary
Mar 26, 2016 rated it liked it
This is a sad story about trust between husband and wife.
Japanese folktale.