Start by marking “Blanding's Castle” as Want to Read:
Blanding's Castle

Blanding's Castle (Blandings Castle #3)

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  2,942 Ratings  ·  192 Reviews
Here are a dozen stories to delight all Wodehouse addicts...A crooning tenor is attempting to captivate the affections of the Rev. Rupert Bingham's fiancee, Lord Emsworth is striving to remove a pumpkin-shaped blot on the family escutcheon, the Hon. Freddie Threepwood is making a last-ditch attempt to convert Lady Alcester to the beneficial quality of Donaldson's Dog-Joy, ...more
Paperback
Published by Marboro Books (first published 1935)

To ask other readers questions about Blanding's Castle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blanding's Castle

Jason Koivu
Nov 23, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did I enjoy Blandings Castle? Oh I say, rather! I've been to Blandings before, usually with Uncle Fred, but this is the first time I've felt like a resident of the asylum.

Though similar to say a Totleigh Towers of the Jeeves & Wooster world, Blandings nonetheless has its own set of rules, its own cast of loons. Lord Emsworth, aka Clarence Threepwood, 9th Earl of Emsworth is the principle character and a good ol' bean. In some stories he comes off as a doddering old Methuselah, but apparentl
Dan Schwent
The Custody of the Pumpkin: It seems Lord Emsworth was a pumpkin enthusiast before he acquired his pig fixation. He fires the groundskeeper because Freddie Threepwood's in love with a cousin of his. Soon Emsworth fears for his pumpkin's health and goes to London to re-hire McAllister. Hilarity ensues. The Earl is in all his absent-minded glory in this one. "Have that cats gotten at it?"

Lord Emsworth Acts for the Best: Freddie and his wife have a spat and Freddie ends up back in London. The ninth
Melissa
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It would probably be considered cheating to mark this as "read" because I haven't read any of the "Elsewhere" stories & it's time to send this book on to other locations. That said, couldn't we all use some Wodehouse at the end of the day? Or should I say, couldn't all of us who can fully appreciate Wodehouse use some at the end of the day? B asked me what I was chortling about, but when I read him some of the real choice bits (gyrating dog, I am looking at you particularly), he looked at me ...more
Mary Tuley
Aug 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody who wishes that the world were civilized.
If it happened at Blandings Castle, it's priceless.
Antonomasia
[4.5] Like at least half the other people on this book page, for now I've only read the Blandings stories in this volume. And, whilst I'm not usually a fan of short stories, I have to say that the format of chronological shorts really suits these characters and plots. In the novels, not an awful lot happens ultimately - it's just convoluted; here, whilst there is the odd impersonation and conspiracy, the plots are simpler and so a greater number of substantial events occur (in so far as substant ...more
Jeff Crompton
May 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
A prime collection of Wodehouse short stories from the 1930s - half a dozen Blandings Castle stories, a Bobbie Whickham story, and five of Mr. Mulliner's tales of Hollywood. I suppose that each reader will prefer one group or another of these stories, depending on which of Wodehouse's fictional worlds he favors. I love the Blandings Castle stories. Most of the usual suspects are here: the vague Lord Emsworth, his prize pig The Empress of Blandings, his domineering sister Constance, his younger s ...more
Lise Petrauskas
Four stars for the Blandings Castle stories, about the first half of the book. Two stars for the second half, which is a series of semi-linked stories that take place in L.A.. Average grade: 3 stars. I'm surprised and a bit disappointed. This is my first of Wodehouse's books that is not narrated by Bertie Wooster, and I miss him. As a third person narrator writing about the spoiled ultra wealthy English, Wodehouse is entertaining, if a bit repetitive, but the American stuff is pretty flat and wa ...more
Ishan
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Its always fun to read the works of P.G. Wodehouse after a while and find oneself laughing out loud at the looney characters and among people falling in and out of love.
The story " the custody of the pumpkin " was kind of surprise because earlier i have seen lord emsworth being infatuated by only pigs and only pigs occupied his life. i also liked the the bobbie wikham story, my only complaint being that blandings castle part occupied less number of pages that i thought. But dash it! what ho ! I
Leslie
I liked the Blandings stories, most of which involved Emsworth's younger son Freddy, better than the final 4 Mr. Mulliner stories, which all involved Hollywood. I think that those 4 were too similar - one I would have liked but by the fourth one, I found myself disappointed. Ah well...

James Saxon was OK as the narrator but he didn't have that little extra which lifts the narration into the superb category that Jonathan Cecil has.
Kirsti
Jul 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Delightful and not very demanding--perfect for a plane trip. I learned some new words, too:

zareba: a protective enclosure

gamboge: yellow-orange

one of Nature's prunes: an unpleasant person

not quite the straight bat: dishonest

wince like a salted snail: suffer from the effects of a hangover

cold-asparagus-backboned: devoid of courage

roly-poly pudding: a steamed or baked dessert of biscuit dough and jam or fruit

Радославъ Симѣонов
Разказите за замъка Бландингс бяха много смешни, буквално се смях на глас в метрото. Другите ми бяха по-скучни, с изключение на последния разказ за Джийвс, който беше хубав финал за книгата. Определено станах фен на Уудхаус!
Dennis
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: general-fiction
Twelve great stories by Wodehouse . Six are Blandings castle and the others are Mr. Mulliner. All were laugh out loud funny and great to read if you have one those bad days when nothing goes right. I wish I had discovered Wodehouse when I was younger!
Barry
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Wodehouse is always fun to read. Only half of this collection is about Blandings. I have to say I enjoyed Psmith more. The other half is set in Hollywood, and is also entertaining, but not as good as most of the Jeeves books.
Ian Wood
Dec 24, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those familiar with the landscape of Blandings Castle
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Blandings Castle’ or ‘Blandings Castle and Elsewhere’ to give it its full title is a collection of short stories set, surprising enough, in Blandings Castle and elsewhere. It is really a book of two halves with the first half chronicling the Threepwood family of Blandings, the second half concerning Mr Mulliners tall tales and a brief interlude of a story about Bobbie Wickham, a thoroughly modern girl.

The Blandings short stories allow the Threepwoods and particularly Lord Emsworth to come out o
Susan
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you haven’t read P.G. Wodehouse yet, you need to start reading him now. Wodehouse is a perfect humorist not just for his farcical plots, but also for his beautiful prose style.

Observe (and note how skillful Wodehouse is that you don’t need to know the context to still enjoy these unrelated selections):

‘Mr. Frederick wishes to speak to your lordship on the telephone.’

An additional layer of greyness fell over Lord Emsworth’s spirit as he toddled down the great staircase to the telephone closet

Teri-K
If I could cut this book in half it would be easier to rate. The first half is all about Lord Emsworth of Blandings Castle, a gentle soul who only wants to enjoy his flowers and prize-winning pig in peace. I like him, and find stories about him gently amusing, so I really enjoyed that part of the book. Then we get one story about Bobby Wickham, the red-headed trouble maker known to all J&W fans. I thought this story was quite funny. So far, 4 happy stars.

The rest of the book is devoted to a
Starliam
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Una raccolta di racconti in cui troviamo alcuni dei protagonisti del ciclo di Blandings (manca Galahad). Lord Emsworth si trova alle prese con i guai del figlio minore Freddie, con la rigida sorella Constance, con il rivale Gregory Parsloe, con dei bambini scatenati.
Mi è piaciuto scoprire il personaggio di Freddie, di cui al momento non avevo ancora letto nulla. Il figlio combinaguai che il padre deve spesso togliere dai guai, è un personaggio molto simpatico.
Anche in questo caso, non mancano al
Margaret
I continue to indulge myself by the occasional purchase of a nice Collector's Wodehouse hardcover. This one is a collection of stories: six about Lord Emsworth and the Blandings Castle crowd, one about Bobbie Wickham (whom I'd only previously encountered in Jeeves and Wooster stories), and five Mulliner stories of Hollywood. I think that Wodehouse's talent for twisted, clever plots is best displayed in his novels, but I enjoyed the Emsworth stories (which are somewhat interrelated) quite a bit a ...more
Stephen Osborne
Feb 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A collection of short stories from the pen of Wodehouse, most of which concern the Earl of Emsworth and the denizens of Blandings Castle. The stories are all fun, and who doesn't love the fluffy mind of the Earl? Most of his problems tend to stem from the fact that his mind wanders, and then things go all kaflooey. It's a joy to...where was I? Oh, yes. I was going out to check on the garden. Carry on.
Añu
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
" Good one for the newcomers to the world of blandings. You enter with little hesitation and awkwardness but receive a warm welcome there,soon fall in love with its marvellous characters, its surroundings, its plot- which always gradually thickens! With humour sprinkled all over it- you enjoy it so much,just wont feel like leaving that fantasy world ever...
Just love everything by Wodehouse for its 'striking subtlety',which lingers for a long time!"
Helen Fagerburg
Mar 11, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I *love* P.G. Wodehouse's stories. They're like watching a British comedy show, in book form. They're clean and very funny. Light reading, but still with an intellectual flavor to it, and very entertaining. Most of his stories poke subtle fun at the upper crust in 1920s England.
Sandi
Jul 12, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, read-2011
Collection of short stories that includes six set at Blandings Castle (all of which were hilarious), one featuring Bobbie Wickham, and five about the Mulliners of Hollywood (funny enough but a bit too repetitive).
Somdutta
Jul 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is another of Wodehouse's collection of stories involving characters like, Mr Mulliner and Lord Emsworth. It is worth reading not only by a Wodehouse fan but also by one who loves good simple humour that all of his stories offer.
Manuel Alfonseca
Third book in the Blandings Castle series, published after the fifth.
It contains 6 short stories published separately before the fourth book in the series, about Lord Emsworth, his son Freddie and Blandings Castle, plus one about Bobby Wickham, and 5 about Mr. Mulliner.
Janice
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2007
Hit-or-miss Wodehouse short stories. The Blandings stories were big hits (“Lord Emsworth and the Girlfriend” was so positively and sweetly touching that it made me cry!) ; the Mulliner stories were cute, but not up to the (very high) standard of Plum’s best works.
Joel Reed
Feb 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I only read the Blandings Castle short stories in this book. Some of the best I've read to date!
Krista Ivy
Sep 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: british-comedy
I say, what, what?
Colin
Jul 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Blandings Castle and Elsewhere to give it its full title, contains half a dozen cracking stories about Lord Emsworth and the other inhabitants of Blandings, a top rank Bobbie Wickham story and five Mr Mulliner tales about some of his more distant relations and their experiences in Hollywood. The Blandings stories are among some of Wodehouse's best work and contain some classic one liners ('it is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine' among them) ...more
Tommy Baker
Jun 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The real find here for me are the Mulliner stories of the Hollywood movie business on the Perfecto-Zizzbaum studio lot. There was some good Hollywood satire in the book Laughing Gas but Wodehouse really takes it up a notch here and the last two stories are particularly outrageous. Although the Bandings Castle stories may work better in novel form (Something Fresh and Leave it to Psmith) my favorite thing in the whole book is "Pig-hoo-o-o-o-ey". It made me chuckle heartily. And a special mention ...more
Annie
Aug 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In this volume of short stories there is one which stood out as possibly the funniest thing I've read by Wodehouse: the Bobbie Wickham story "Mr. Potter Takes A Rest Cure."
Do yourself a favor and read it. Then do your family a favor and read it aloud on your next road trip. Its quite short and can be easily read aloud in less than an hour--that is, if you don't keep stopping because you are laughing too hard.
  • Lucia Rising
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Augustus Carp, Esq. By Himself Being the Autobiography of a Really Good Man
  • The Education of Hyman Kaplan
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • Oh! to be in England
  • A Little Learning
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • The Collected Short Stories of Saki
  • Three Men on the Bummel (Three Men, #2)
  • Wilt On High (Wilt, #3)
  • Rediscover Grammar
  • Pomp and Circumstance
  • Marrying Off Mother: And Other Stories
  • The Provincial Lady in London
  • The Poems of Alexander Pope
  • Molesworth
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Blandings Castle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • Something Fresh (Blandings Castle, #1)
  • Leave It to Psmith
  • Summer Lightning
  • Heavy Weather (Blandings Castle, #5)
  • Uncle Fred in the Springtime
  • Full Moon (Blandings Castle, #7)
  • Pigs Have Wings (Blandings Castle, #8)
  • Service With a Smile
  • Galahad at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #10)
  • A Pelican at Blandings (Blandings Castle, #11)

“Filled with a coward rage that dares to burn but does not dare to blaze, Lord Emsworth coughed a cough that was undisguisedly a bronchial white flag.” 7 likes
“It is never difficult to distinguish between with a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.” 5 likes