Start by marking “Ten Terrible Dinosaurs” as Want to Read:
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

"Ten terrible dinosaurs, standing in a line . . ". One by one Paul Stickland's rowdy and rollicking dinosaurs leave the scene. Children count down along with the text until there is only one sleepy dinosaur left -- until he gets a loud surprise from his nine noisy pals!
Published October 1st 2000 by Puffin Books (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ten Terrible Dinosaurs

Start your review of Ten Terrible Dinosaurs
Brenda
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs by Paul Stickland is a delightful book which will teach children counting while enjoying the vibrant colours, along with the friendly dinosaurs. Starting with ten dinosaurs, gradually, with rhyme, the dinosaur friends are reduced to one. Children will want this one read over and over I suspect Highly recommended.

With thanks to Pan Macmillan AU for my copy to read in exchange for an honest review.
Jon Nakapalau
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
TERRIBLY FUN!
Veronica ⭐️
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019, childrens
*https://theburgeoningbookshelf.blogsp...
Once again Paul Strickland’s dinosaurs have come out to delight young dinosaur fans with a rip roaring counting book. The front cover features our ten terrible dinosaurs, who are in fact happy, smiling dinosaurs and look like they are ready to have some fun.

Strickland uses the tried and true method of rhyming verse in this educational and fun counting book. Starting at ten with a large number 10 in digits at the start of the text, the ten terrible
Amanda - Mrs B's Book Reviews
*https://mrsbbookreviews.wordpress.com
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs is a counting book written by Paul and Henrietta Strickland. Ten Terrible Dinosaurs uses the same popular dinosaur characters that featured Dinosaur Roar! which was also penned by the Stricklands. First published in 1997, Ten Terrible Dinosaurs has been refreshed with an updated edition. To. It has a bright and tactile cover, along with an endorsement sticker from the Natural History Museum. With the dinosaurs in this story dancing,
Louise
Mar 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A cute little story about playful dinosaurs, helpful for learning to find one less than.
Melanie Martel
This book has colorful illustrations that kids will love. Not only does it do a great job of sequencing numbers but also it helps them count backwards from 10-1. You could also use this book for inferring.
Jenn
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Who doesn't love colorful, fierce counting dinosaurs?
I liked this book. I would use it to introduce subtraction because there is one less dinosaur on each page. I liked the illustrations. I liked when the book rhymed. A lot of children like dinosaurs so this book could be interesting for my students as they learn to count down from ten.

Interest Level
Type of Book:
Bailey Schmidt
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: el230
Read this in class as a test activity..Had to make a "lesson plan" for student in the second grade. I would use this in the K-3 classroom for a variety of reasons. Students would benefit from the idea of counting backwards as it is usually thought that students would prefer a 1-10 order. This would test their ability of counting in reverse. It also has great rhyme and flow. The illustrations were also stellar, very bright and interactive. Any young student would immediately be attracted to this ...more
Kellie
Aug 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This came through the library circulation desk the other day and I got sucked in. The book is just another one of those counting books in rhyme. Or maybe not. I think the rhyming scheme was a little more sophisticated than usual and the final scene makes this book great for story-time. I also enjoyed the illustrations of the dinosaurs. A definite not miss and something the kiddies will enjoy . . . 5 stars ROAR!
Stef Rozitis
Jun 19, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: early-childhood
I can't say this one did it for me. One dinosaur gets removed for being "too spiky" and then I stopped listening. Usually we are telling the children it is ok to be different. I guess the author knew that dinosaurs are popular and counting is good and stopped there without thinking of the social implications. Many people say you should be apolitical with children, I think being apolitical is an illusion and you have to be carefully political as children always are.
Kelsea Breedlove
Nov 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: beginning-books
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, is an engaging story that countdowns from 10 sleepy dinosaurs until it gets to the final dinosaur. It's very descriptive with its' pictures and uses simplistic language to help readers understand the countdown of the story. This story would be useful when teachers are starting to help their students understand that just like you can count up with numbers, you can also countdown numbers. It shows them exactly how to go about learning to count backwards.
Cai
There were ten terrible dinosaurs out to play but one by one they all have to go away.

Daddy rates this 10/10. I loved the counting and there was even a bit of alliteration in there too.

V @ 6 months.
Courtney Kilbourn
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book tickled me pink. The second I read it I wanted to take it home and read it to my nieces. The illustrations were very vivid and colorful. I am actually glad I have this website so when I do become a teacher I can look back and use this book in my classroom. I loved it!!!
Meg McGregor
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-to-lexi
A extremely cute counting book this will hold your little one's attention!

You begin by counting ten terrible dinosaurs standing in a line and count down to one weary dinosaur who soon began to snore.
Taylor Darst
Dec 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: animals
My kids love this book at work, the names are tough to say but a fun book.
Tina
Oct 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Henry and I read this on October 27th. Cute rhyming book of counting. Henry loved this book.
Dana
Jul 25, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ian loves this one. Asks for it again and again.
Cara
Aug 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Very fun to read aloud.
Taylor Johnson
Oct 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun counting book that children will love especially the dinosaur lovers in the classroom.
Maria
Jan 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Used for a storytime with preschoolers. Was a big it. Great illustrations and reviews counting.
Michelle
Feb 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Counting and dinosaurs, what could be better?
Victoria Clay
Apr 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very cute counting book. It can be used for rhyming,i.e. if students understand rhyming they'll be able to chime in. It is also great for read aloud.
Taylor
I read this to my little brother and he loved it. I would recomend it to little kids.
Kristina
Feb 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
my kids and I enjoyed this book. I thought it was a different version of 10 little monkeys jumping on the bed. I would recommend this book to others.
Samuel Tyler
Jul 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Some things are easier to count than others. How many pens are there on the desk is simple enough. A little trickier is the number of cars on the road, but stand back and you can see them. The fact is that the bigger something is, the further you will need to be from it to count more than one. What would happen though if you were counting something that was not only big, but moving and also prone to eating you?

‘‘Ten Terrible Dinosaurs’’ are all playing together, but one by one they fall off
Today We Did
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is a cute count-down book perfect for toddlers and preschoolers. It uses simple language and large text, making it easy for young children to follow the words. The illustrations are bright and colourful. The story is funny, it rhymes, and most importantly there are dinosaurs!

My toddlers have been asking me to read Ten Terrible Dinosaurs a lot lately. They like to make roaring sounds throughout as they pretend to be the dinosaurs in the story. The repetition of the numbers has been helping
Angie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
The stars given are a combination of how both my children and I feel about this book. First, one of my younger children picked it out at the library, and I remembered reading it years ago to my now-teenager when he was a dinosaur super-fan. It was fun to recall it so many years later. During this reading (or rather, series of many readings), I appreciated the way it guides the reader/listener on the number countdown with the rhythm and rhyming words. "7 silly dinosaurs playing goofy tricks, but ...more
Audrey Ibarra
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ten Terrible Dinosaurs- The description for this book was, "In this cheerful counting book by bestselling illustrator Paul Strickland, a group of colorful dinosaurs count their way down from a boisterous ten to a sleepy one. As they wear themselves out with all the reptilian rough housing, their numbers dwindle--the perfect way to introduce subtraction to very young children. Full color." I rated this book with five stars because I loved the theme of dinosaurs for this counting book. I also ...more
Christina Larwill
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Fine for subtraction and rhymes, but a bit dated in content and drawings. Specifically, three things bothered me. 1) A “too spiky” dinosaur gets kicked out = different is not okay. 2) We read “”Quiet down,” cried someone’s mom,” and see a angry and presumably burnt out mom holler at her kid. And, 3) we see a adult dinosaur literally drag a dinosaur kid home.... sure it’s a cartoon but not behavior I’d condone if I saw it. Also, some dinosaur enthusiasts may prefer more realistic drawings, but ...more

• Hop On Pop
  • Vegetables in Underwear
  • Corduroy Goes to the Doctor
  • Banana
  • Spot Loves His Daddy
  • I Ain't Gonna Paint No More!
  • The Carrot Seed
  • The Pigeon Finds a Hot Dog!
  • Five Little Monkeys Jumping on the Bed
  • A Trip to Dinosaur Time
  • Where's Spot?
  • Walter's Wonderful Web
  • Tyrannosaurus Drip
  • Jesse Bear, What Will You Wear?
Children's book illustrator, author and paper engineer. Creator of many books including Dinosaur Roar!, Ten Terrible Dinosaurs, Dinosaurs Galore, The Christmas Bear, One Bear One Dog, A Number of Dinosaurs, Truck Jam and Big Dig.

Find Paul Stickland on Google+