Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes Other Home Uses” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes  Other Home Uses

The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes Other Home Uses

The Beekeeper’s Bible is as much an ultimate guide to the practical essentials of beekeeping as it is a beautiful almanac to be read from cover to cover. Part history book, part handbook, and part cookbook, this illustrated tome covers every facet of the ancient hobby of beekeeping, from how to manage hives safely to harvesting one's own honey, and ideas for how to use hon ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Beekeeper's Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beekeeper's Bible

Start your review of The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes Other Home Uses
Karli W
Jan 23, 2021 rated it really liked it
Information Overload. This book would be great for bee and beekeeping enthusiasts who are interested in history and all the various forms of beekeeping and uses of bee products etc. However, for someone looking to start a small hive and wanting straightforward and basic information, like myself, this is perhaps not the book for them. This gave me way more information than I wanted and needed.
Janice Wrona
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
thought I knew everything! Enjoyed history of beekeeping and mythology sections
Sunny
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I've been reading this piecemeal for a while now and it's wonderful. I would strongly recommend this to any beekeeper or anyone thinking of becoming a beekeeper. True, most of the information you can find online, but this tome is indispensable. I keep it by my bed to brush up on subject if I am feeling restless. ...more
Onceinabluemoon
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The encyclopedia of bees, with recipes even!
Jacquie Slade
May 13, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Love it!!!! 1 of my many bee books I keep on hand. Very helpful for beekeepers and bee lovers alike.
Cassie Rauk
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very through guide to keeping bees. Talking about everything from the mythology and history of bees to setting up your hive, and maintaining it.
Scott Johnson
Feb 19, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
This was a fantastic, thorough treatment of the topic. There was sufficient history and context to be interesting but not so much as to be boring filler. The actual practical, instructional sections were detailed and approachable with fantastic, relevant photos.

I could have done without the recipe and woo medicine stuff at the back, but that's me. Honey does have some interesting properties, but it's not magic.

The bit about mead was a bit laughable, having actually brewed mead and knowing it's a
John
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great reference / coffee table book full of history, beekeeping information (hives, bees, diseases, garden tips etc), production and sale (of honey, beeswax etc.) and recipes.
It's a HEAVY book, so it's not something I can easily lug around.

Definitely not a beginner book given the vast number of connected topics the book covers. I'd suggest The Backyard Beekeeper, 4th Edition:An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden for beginners.
Abby Tharp
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on and off throughout 2018. If you are looking to get bees in the future or want to brush up on your beekeeping knowledge this book is great.

I really like it because not only does it tell you everything you need to know about keeping bees, it also talks about the history of the bee and how much of humanity, our culture, and our religions are influenced by honey bees. It's incredibly interesting. This book also provides recipes for wax and honey. I know I will be referring to thi
T
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This thing is massive. I had it checked out for 3 months and probably only managed to take in a quarter of the information that's in this thing, despite skimming through the entire text.

On the plus side, I now know some basics about bee species and hive make-up.

Also there's a pretty awesome recipe for Honey Scones in it.
Renee Alarid
Wow, I picked up this book to research the honey bees for my thesis, and I have to say that this book is everything and more! What an excellent book of information. If someone was ever interested in the honey bee, this book is for you! It has recipes, history, mythological, and how-to opportunities. The illustrations and photography are also impressive. A keeper for any library!
Rachel Tooman
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for both new and established Beekeepers. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and it even has delicious recipes. This was a library book and I immediately got on Amazon and ordered a copy for our home library.
Brenna
Mar 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: informational
Reads like a textbook for bees, which is good because of all the information this book contains. It surely is one of the best and information thorough bee books around. Definitely a great resource for your library if you want to get into beekeeping or are beekeeping and need an all-in-one resource.
Bill Robson
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was given this book as a gift from my daughter Tori. Wow! I've read it slowly every day until I was done. So glad I can add this to my beekeeping book collection. This was just what I needed. ...more
Caroline Elders
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a good general large reference, but includes some out of date methods
Theresa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about bees. Great recipes for honey, etc. (especially the honey scones recipe, that everybody in my family goes crazy for).
Celina Reynes
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read it and see what the buzz is about!
Gracewellworn
Apr 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dense
Chris Andrews
Jan 22, 2021 rated it liked it
Good book with a lot of generalist information.
Nathan Brant
Mar 22, 2021 rated it it was amazing
This is amazing tome if you're considering beekeeping or just interested in bees. From history to habits, and practical beekeeping to honey recipes, this is a thorough and well-written book. ...more
Andy Herzfeld
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Good info on here not only for bee keeping but many other things.
Elizabeth Rogers
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
An interesting book, but not the most thorough as far as explaining the practical aspects of beekeeping. I liked the historical and cultural parts of the first couple chapters, but the practical sections I found ultimately less than helpful (or at least not detailed enough). I would still advise beginning beekeepers (and seasoned beekeepers as well) read this book, but beginners could benefit from a more "textbook" like approach to describing beekeeping. I will more than likely refer to this boo ...more
Helen K
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read a LOT of books about beekeeping, but after reading the library's copy I intend to go buy my own. It is a very enjoyable read, with a well detailed history on beekeeping, information on diseases, and a huge section on recipes for food, medicine and home cleaning.
There are books more detailed on, say, caring for the hive but they're do dry I can't bear to finish them. I know I'll reread this as a reference again and again.
Diane
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of great info. Fantastic photos & historical documents, drawings. First 70+ pages very interesting history of beekeeping. Good detail of biology, different species., life in hive, pests & problems, beekeeping year. Last 100 pages of recipes & crafts.
Hat of Nikitich
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, beeees
I wish I could keep a colony in my yard!
Rob
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations, photos and history. Better practical information can be found in other books.
Susan
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great reference. Lots of interesting bee and honey info.
Caroline
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great info. and pics!
Nathan
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of information, though I would have rather had some sections on alternative methods rather than just one way of doing things.
Yagiz Erkan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great book if you're into beekeeping, especially if you're starting. ...more

• The Backyard Beekeeper: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden
  • Honeybee Democracy
  • Queenspotting: Meet the Remarkable Queen Bee and Discover the Drama at the Heart of the Hive
  • The Modern Herbal Dispensatory: A Medicine-Making Guide
  • Homegrown Honey Bees: An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Beekeeping Your First Year, from Hiving to Honey Harvest
  • The Lives of Bees: The Untold Story of the Honey Bee in the Wild
  • Queen Rearing Essentials
  • Swarm Essentials: Ecology, Management, Sustainability
  • The Queen Must Die and Other Affairs of Bees and Men
  • Langstroth's Hive and the Honey-Bee: The Classic Beekeeper's Manual
  • The Tao of Physics: An Exploration of the Parallels between Modern Physics and Eastern Mysticism
  • Beekeeping At Buckfast Abbey