Start by marking “The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses” as Want to Read:
The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses

The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses

The Beekeepers Bible is as much an ultimate guide to the practical essentials of beekeeping as it is a beautiful almanac to be read from cover to cover. Part history book, part handbook, and part cookbook, this illustrated tome covers every facet of the ancient hobby of beekeeping, from how to manage hives safely to harvesting one's own honey, and ideas for how to use ...more
Published April 1st 2011 by Harry N. Abrams

To ask other readers questions about The Beekeeper's Bible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Beekeeper's Bible

Start your review of The Beekeeper's Bible: Bees, Honey, Recipes & Other Home Uses
Janice Wrona
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
thought I knew everything! Enjoyed history of beekeeping and mythology sections
Sunny
May 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
I've been reading this piecemeal for a while now and it's wonderful. I would strongly recommend this to any beekeeper or anyone thinking of becoming a beekeeper. True, most of the information you can find online, but this tome is indispensable. I keep it by my bed to brush up on subject if I am feeling restless.
Onceinabluemoon
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The encyclopedia of bees, with recipes even!
Cassie Rauk
Nov 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
A very through guide to keeping bees. Talking about everything from the mythology and history of bees to setting up your hive, and maintaining it.
John
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great reference / coffee table book full of history, beekeeping information (hives, bees, diseases, garden tips etc), production and sale (of honey, beeswax etc.) and recipes.
It's a HEAVY book, so it's not something I can easily lug around.

Definitely not a beginner book given the vast number of connected topics the book covers. I'd suggest The Backyard Beekeeper, 4th Edition:An Absolute Beginner's Guide to Keeping Bees in Your Yard and Garden for beginners.
Abby Tharp
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I read this book on and off throughout 2018. If you are looking to get bees in the future or want to brush up on your beekeeping knowledge this book is great.

I really like it because not only does it tell you everything you need to know about keeping bees, it also talks about the history of the bee and how much of humanity, our culture, and our religions are influenced by honey bees. It's incredibly interesting. This book also provides recipes for wax and honey. I know I will be referring to
T
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This thing is massive. I had it checked out for 3 months and probably only managed to take in a quarter of the information that's in this thing, despite skimming through the entire text.

On the plus side, I now know some basics about bee species and hive make-up.

Also there's a pretty awesome recipe for Honey Scones in it.
Rachel Tooman
Mar 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent resource for both new and established Beekeepers. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous and it even has delicious recipes. This was a library book and I immediately got on Amazon and ordered a copy for our home library.
Bill Robson
Feb 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Was given this book as a gift from my daughter Tori. Wow! I've read it slowly every day until I was done. So glad I can add this to my beekeeping book collection. This was just what I needed.
Celina Reynes
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Read it and see what the buzz is about!
Caroline Elders
May 09, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
a good general large reference, but includes some out of date methods
Theresa
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book about bees. Great recipes for honey, etc. (especially the honey scones recipe, that everybody in my family goes crazy for).
Elizabeth Rogers
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was ok
An interesting book, but not the most thorough as far as explaining the practical aspects of beekeeping. I liked the historical and cultural parts of the first couple chapters, but the practical sections I found ultimately less than helpful (or at least not detailed enough). I would still advise beginning beekeepers (and seasoned beekeepers as well) read this book, but beginners could benefit from a more "textbook" like approach to describing beekeeping. I will more than likely refer to this ...more
Helen K
Apr 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read a LOT of books about beekeeping, but after reading the library's copy I intend to go buy my own. It is a very enjoyable read, with a well detailed history on beekeeping, information on diseases, and a huge section on recipes for food, medicine and home cleaning.
There are books more detailed on, say, caring for the hive but they're do dry I can't bear to finish them. I know I'll reread this as a reference again and again.
Diane
Mar 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A lot of great info. Fantastic photos & historical documents, drawings. First 70+ pages very interesting history of beekeeping. Good detail of biology, different species., life in hive, pests & problems, beekeeping year. Last 100 pages of recipes & crafts.
Rob
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations, photos and history. Better practical information can be found in other books.
Yagiz Erkan
Jan 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A great book if you're into beekeeping, especially if you're starting.
Hat of Nikitich
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, beeees
I wish I could keep a colony in my yard!
Susan Fleming
May 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely fascinating! The illustrations are lush and plentiful. From a historical aspect to practical beekeeping -everyone can find something of interest here!
Nathan
Jan 14, 2015 rated it really liked it
Lots of information, though I would have rather had some sections on alternative methods rather than just one way of doing things.
Caroline
Jan 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great info. and pics!
Kerry Clair
Nov 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great place to start in learning to make your own new products.
Laronda Acuff-Sack
Sep 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A fantastic book!
Susan
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great reference. Lots of interesting bee and honey info.
Wattle and Honey
Amazing! good info
Kate
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive.
Cathleen
Aug 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An ideal beekeeping reference with history, mythology, practical beekeeping, recipes (food & personal products), garden suggestions, and page after page of beautiful photos.
Sara

• Braiding with Beads: On the Kumihimo Disk
  • All That Remains: A Life in Death
  • Never Grow Up
  • The Tears of Re: Beekeeping in Ancient Egypt
  • The Outdoor Toddler Activity Book: 100+ Fun Early Learning Activities for Outside Play
  • The Market Gardener: A Handbook for Successful Small-Scale Organic Farming
  • Life Lessons From The Hive
  • Queenspotting: Meet the Remarkable Queen Bee and Discover the Drama at the Heart of the Hive
  • Rough Love (Tannen Boys #1)
  • NICOT Queen Rearing
  • The Catacombs (World's Scariest Places #2)
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
  • Immortal Nights (Argeneau, #24)
  • Runaway Vampire (Argeneau, #23)
  • Lucky Inheritance (Inherit Love)
  • Gardening for the Birds: How to Create a Bird-Friendly Garden
  • Torn (CSI Reilly Steel, #2)

News & Interviews