Start by marking “Hell Island (Shane Schofield, #3.5)” as Want to Read:
Hell Island (Shane Schofield, #3.5)

Hell Island

(Shane Schofield #3.5)

A man-made secret location designed to host tests of classified experiments, Hell Island doesn't appear on any maps. But when all contact is lost with this mystery island, four crack special force units are brought in - can anything prepare them for the horror of what they will find there?
Published 2005 by Pan Books (UK)

To ask other readers questions about Hell Island, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hell Island

Mary-ellen
Jan 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
I love the action-packed, fast pace of the Scarecrow series. I do have to suspend my disbelief to get into these books, but they’re always such a wild ride that it doesn’t bother me. This is another great adventure for Scarecrow and crew, although it is a short one at around 100 pages. It left me wanting more.
Rizwan
Feb 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
মযাথিউ রাইলির পাগলা অযাকশন-অযাডভেঞচার সিরিজ সকেয়ারকরো'র পূরবের তিনটা কাহিনীর তুলনায় "হেল আইলযানড" একেবারেই ভিনন এক দিক থেকে, আর সেটা হল কাহিনীর বযপতি। "আইস সটেশন", "এরিয়া ৭" বা "সকেয়ারকরো" যেখানে সাড়ে পাঁচশো থেকে ছয়শো পৃষঠার বিপুলবিসতৃত উপনযাস ছিল, "হেল আইলযানড" সেই তুলনায় একেবারেই শিশু, মাতর একশ পেজের কিছু বেশি। কাহিনীও সেই সাথে সবাভাবিক ভাবেই অনেক ছোট, তবে এতে যদি অযাকশন-পাঠকরা মনে করেন বইটা তেমন মজাদার বা আগরহোদদীপক হবে না তাহলে বড়ধরনের ভুল করবেন... মাতর সোয়া'শ পৃষঠাতেও মযাথিউ রাইলি তার সবভাব ...more
Giovanni Gelati
Dec 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Are there any Scarecrow fans out there? I am definitely one. You can count me among those that have read everything that is available that Matthew Reilly has written, including the YA Hover Car series. The last time I posted on a Matthew Reilly novel was for the Five Greatest Warriors novel (please check the archives for that; I loved it). Here is what this short novel is about:
“This revised edition of the short novel originally published in Australia is specially adapted for readers of all ages
Skip
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller
Beware the beast Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him; drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of death.

Four elite military units are dropped onto Hell Island, where they face a relentless adversary. Only Scarecrow and his team are able to survive. Non-stop act
Freda Malone
Nov 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This short novella, was action packed. An Japan Island, taken from the American soldiers in 1943 is now an experiment gone wrong. Welcome to the 'planet of the apes' as Scarecrow and his new team fight to exterminate the most powerful and ruthless of primates.

LOVE Matthew Reilly's novels. Read this one in 3 hours.
★ Jess
Nov 03, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to ★ Jess by: A boy in my year 5 class. We're not friends anymore.
Hell Island had been on my to-read list for like, five years before I started it.
One day, my next door neighbor (the nice one) came over and gave me a free copy (because he was friends with the publisher, had hundreds of copies for some reason, and knew I liked reading. Somehow. A little creepy.)
Anyway, I was excited to finally start reading it. I got one page in before my dad came home with a copy of Mockingjay, which I was much more desperate to read (however, be warned: it sucks).
I finishe
Shawn Fairweather
Hell Island felt like what could easily develop into a video game storyline where character depth and development can take a backseat to action sequences or it could be a solid Sci/Fi-Action B-Movie plotline where the storyline itself will not resonate with all and may turn off some, but very well may be well received from fans of the SyFy network. I wont expand much on the story as to avoid a potential spoilers, but what we have here is a snapshot, or an episode of a television series that land ...more
sparklyunikorn
THIS IS AN HONEST REVIEW, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

3 stars - Epic Sci-Fi

Illogical, five humans beat up 300 mutant gorillas (should be dead earlier because the number was higher before I forgot how many) but on second thought, this is sci-fi/thriller, I shouldn't bother to make sense of it. Glad the book's short.
Supertramp Alex
Dec 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Finished the book just like I'd finish a video game :D
Mark Muckerman
Mar 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Sadly, 110 pages is just not enough for any substantive storytelling.

Reading the preface, I appreciate that this story was specifically crafted to a certain set of parameters of size & length, and with those constraints in mind (as well as the overarching goal of increasing overall reading rates in Australia) it hits the mark: Fast, quickly gripping, interesting premise, and classic Schofield resolution.

However as a work of any substance or satisfaction, it falls short for readers over the a
Emma
Aug 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Kathryn
Very short, but not exactly sweet - classic Reilly with heaps of adventure and split-second escapes for some characters, lots of blood and grisly deaths for others. No such events that rock the Schofield world as happened in the previous book...
Ashley
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good. Was scared the shorter format would hinder Reilly's writing but Hell Island was fantastic.
Andrew Fitzgerald
Dec 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good read. Short but packed with action. Was quite surprised by what was on Hell Island but it made for a different type of action. Really enjoying the Shane Schofield series.
Sean Morton
A short review for a short book.

Simply put, this book was kinda stupid even for Matthew Reilly. I know this was for a charity cause but man was this taking suspension of disbelief to a whole new level. My problem wasn't even with the 'experiments'. There is no way the US government would sacrifice 600 Marines plus special forces, and after all Scarecrow (a superhuman soldier with the fastest reflexes in the world) has done for the US and the President personally I doubt they'd sacrifice him to s
Albert
Mar 26, 2015 rated it really liked it
Hell Island by Matthew Reilly is the type of story that I started reading Matthew Reilly for. It is a rollercoaster ride of twists and turns and sharp brakes and enough action to make Stallone retire!

"..It slammed into Haynes, ramming him back against the door. His head hit the steel door hard, the blow stunning him but not knocking him out.
And as he slumped to the floor and saw the creature draw a glistening long-bladed K-bar knife from its sheath, Haynes wished it had knocked him unconscious,
Jill Smith
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This novella is typical of Matthew Reilly’s writing style. Action from the first sentence, Shane Schofield known as Scarecrow, is parachuting to the deck of an aircraft carrier, beside Hell Island. His crack team of marines, is only one of a specialist team to drop in, three other squads from 82nd, Seals and Delta dropped in at the same time. The operation has all the markings of an elaborate training exercise. What a deadly game it becomes, the enemy is a force, never previously encountered by ...more
Sabrina Kammer
Eine Insel, die auf keiner Karte zu finden ist: Das ist Hell Island. Geheime Experimente, die ausser Kontrolle zu geraten scheinen. Wissenschaftler, zu denen der Kontakt abgerissen ist. Captain Shane 'Scarecrow' Schofielt und sein Team von Marines landen auf Hell Island und ihr Auftrag: Herausfinden was passiert ist. Doch die Männer merken schnell, dass die Insel ihren Namen zu Recht trägt...

Zuerst möchte ich kurz etwas zum Cover sagen: Ist es nicht der Hammer? Es war der Grund, weshalb ich mir
Linda
Jan 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hell Island is not really a part of the Scarecrow series since it was written specifically for a promotion by the Australian government to get people to read. It's much more like the average American shoot-em-up thriller. Reilly decided to write the most "kick-butt, over-the-top, blindingly fast action" book he could. He pretty much succeeded.

Scarecrow and his Force Reconnaissance Marines, as well as three other Special Forces teams, are air-dropped onto the USS Nimitz which has remained anchor
Ernest
May 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This little book (more a novella really) was written as part of an Australian government initiative (Books Alive) to get Australians into bookstores and reading more. In this work, Reilly has once again produced a work high on thrills, non-stop action, and constant pace as is typically in his works. Characterisation is lightly done but is distinctly secondary to the driving plot. As a shorter novel, is can readily be finished in a few (or even one) sitting and doesn’t tax the brain.

As a diverti
Patrick Nichol
Aug 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is another high-octane Shane Schofield thriller from Australian writer Matthew Reilly, and it's a roller-coaster ride.
A novella originally written to inspire people to go book stores, the book became a huge success on the Internet. I'm not surprised, given the can't-stop action.
Marine Capt. Schofield, hero of Area 7, is part of a special ops force dropped aboard the USS Nimitz, docked at a mysteBelirious Pacific island facility.
Immediately after landing, the soldiers find wreckage, plenty
Michael Flanagan
Apr 04, 2015 rated it liked it
Hell Island sees my first foray into the works of Matthew Reilly, which as a fellow Australian really is not good enough. I decided on trying this bite sized read first after several friends recommended it.

I have to say the book did not WOW me as much as I was expecting. Don't get me wrong all the elements for a great action read where present but the premise of the story as a whole seemed a bit tired to me.

It was like I had read it or seen it play out on the Silver screen before. What was wri
Helen Petrovic
Feb 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Matt Reilly’s novella, Hell Island is typical of his roller-coaster, thrill a minute style. It reintroduces some familiar faces – Scarecrow and Mother, and flings us into the action, joining them as they free-fall to their latest assignment. This story is all action, gun-fights and last nanosecond rescues. It was a bit thin on plot for my taste, and the back-story only semi-plausible. Reilly did manage a few plot twists at the end. Probably my least favorite Reilly to date, but still an enjoyabl ...more
Caroline
Nov 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredibly fast-paced, rip-roaring, military-special-forces thriller with a good bit of sci-fi thrown in for good measure. Matthew Reilly is one of my favorite authors and this book is the perfect microexpression of why (only 130 pages or something like that).

If you wonder if you'd like this genre, this is a great book to dive into because it's not going to take hours of your life to get through.
Krissy  Chun
Jul 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thrillers
Having read all the other Schofield books, I think the action in this book is nothing short of the others. It was great. The only let down was the length of the the story. In my mind, these kind of action/thriller books just simply does not suit to be too short as I usual expect a complex plot with twists every 10 pages or so, and this story left me a bit unsatisfied after reading it. I guess I was expecting more twists and action.
Terri
Aug 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Three elite special forces teams are sent to investigate the loss of hundreds of marines on an aircraft carrier at an island removed from maps after WWII. What they find is horrifying and deadly.

Reilly wrote this book to give out free in Australia to encourage people (esp. teen boys) to read. It is non-stop action from the beginning. A very quick, entertaining read.
Marcus Calvert
Jan 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Here'a an example of how good Matt Reilly is. After his first 3 Scarecrow books, he's asked to write a novella (this one). It's short. Under 120 pages. And it popped up in Australia first. Rumor was that Reilly's work was so anticipated (and good) that folks were buying this 10-dollar book for $50 on eBay.
Denae
I was in the mood for violence. Matt Reilly is a good person to turn to in such modes. He's a sick puppy. Who loves exclamation points! And italics! Unfortunately, the novella is clearly not his strong suit. His tendency to overuse exposition does not translate well to short form. Also, I was very disappointed by the lack of crazy magnet rappelling weapon thingies. !!!
apple
Nov 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: techno-thriller
Shane Schofield is back!! only for 110 pages..but that will have to be enough for the fans. The Scarecrow has been pitched against formidable enemies before but this time on Hell Island he's facing a troop of genetically enhanced super-soldiers. ok, the plot might sound a little too out-there but any excuse to break out the Desert Eagle and annihilate bad guys is always deemed reasonable:)
Stephen
Nov 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Short, Sweet, and pretty damn awesome. Scarecrow is back after the events of the last book. He's spent some time on leave getting his head together and now he's been dropped into the middle of a pretty strange scenario. Can he figure out what's really going on and get his team out? I guess you'll just have to read this action packed little gem to find out.
SSG: Spy/Spec-Ops...: 'Hell Island' (& other techno-thriller novelas) 11 42 Sep 05, 2016 04:09PM
Mrs. Anderson's E...: Hell Island 1 10 Sep 22, 2015 04:04PM
  • Threshold (Chess Team Adventure, #3)
  • Legacy (Event Group Thriller #6)
  • Temple of the Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Chimera Vector (The Fifth Column, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Black Sun (Tom Kirk, #2)
Matthew Reilly is a New York Times best-selling author of eight novels that have been published in eighteen languages in twenty countries. He has sold more than 3.5 million copies worldwide.

Shane Schofield (4 books)
  • Ice Station (Shane Schofield, #1)
  • Area 7 (Shane Schofield, #2)
  • Scarecrow (Shane Schofield, #3)
  • Scarecrow Returns (Shane Schofield, #4)