Start by marking “Beach House (Point Horror, #22)” as Want to Read:
Beach House (Point Horror, #22)

Beach House

(Point Horror #22)

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  2,714 Ratings  ·  135 Reviews
Swim.
Sunbathe.
Die.

The sun is hot. The water's cold. And the kids are cool. Too cool to live. Because a killer is stalking them, one by one. A killer who never leaves a clue. Who disappears as completely as a footprint in the sand.

A killer who has found a very special place in the sun

for some very special sun...
Published August 1st 1992 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about Beach House, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Beach House

Amara Tanith
R.L. Stine YA books disturb me. No, not for the reason you’re thinking. They’re not “scary”. At best, they’re mildly entertaining. At worst, they’re ludicrously moronic. I find a significant number of R.L. Stine books disturbing because half of his teenage female protagonists are in obviously abusive relationships.

I don’t know. Maybe it’s an eighties thing. But it seems like at least half his books, including this one, feature a main female character, high-school age, who is in a steady relation
Paula Brandon
Oct 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
One of my favourite Point Horrors, and one of my favourite R.L. Stine books! Sure, the plot twist that reveals the connection between the 50s and 90s is totally arbitrary and off-the-wall, but it doesn't stop the book being a hoot! There were actual deaths in this book, many of them quite mean-spirited. It made my young eyes widen in surprise and a little bit of glee! The 50s segment is definitely the most fun and suspenseful. Ashley in the present and her borderline abusive boyfriend were not s ...more
Wart Hill
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, horror
3.5 stars rounded up for nostalgia.

I first read this I think some time in middle school. It's stuck with me and recently I decided to try and find that book about a creepy beach house murder dude. Really that's about all I could remember. That and something involving sharks. This seemed most likely, and the cover looked about like what I remembered, so I gave it a shot and lo and behold it was exactly the one I was looking for!

It wasn't as scary as I remember, but that's probably because I'm old
Da-jo'el
Apr 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Have you ever was teased and felt like you needed to do something?
Well this boy name Buddy did somehting cruel. Something so cruel you couldnt imagine.
Bully have you ever hurt someone in a way that they might get even with you. You might say no but berfor you say that let me tell you this story about Beach House and you should probaly think before you hurt someone in any type of way.

It was the nicest day of the summer. Maria and her friend Amy was relaxed when they heard a cry gor help. Mar
Cindy
Dec 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 12th-grade
This book sets in two different settings- in 1956 and in 1996 and in perspectives of teenagers in 1956 and the present. Each story or chapter talks about the characters experiences. But each character leads to one death, one by one, being stalked to the beach house. And one by one, no one ever comes out of the beach house. In the present, these 4 teenagers, Lucy, kip, Ashely, and Ross hangs out in the beach. When one day, they noticed this beach house that no ones lives there, but when a guy com ...more
kylajaclyn
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Well, this one was pretty good! The twist at the end was actually great. So if you go and read my review of the Fear Street book New Year's Party (Super Chiller), you will see it's similar to this one. It takes place in two time periods, and this one does too. Beach House takes place in 1956 and "this summer," which meant 1990-whatever back then. It's hilarious how dated the references are. Matt Dillon, MTV, Vanilla Ice, Coke towel... the list goes on. I love the 90s, though, so I'm not complain ...more
Melissa Namba
Jan 30, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: r-l-stine
This has been one of my favorite of the revisited R.L. Stine books. I had to laugh because the good looking guys were described as looking like Vanilla Ice! People on the beach were wearing hammer pants. I love it!

The plot was basic but was better than most of the Fear Street stuff. There are two story lines in different times that converge at the end.
Sarah Suchon
Mar 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I would probably give any RL Stine book a 5 star rating because of the nostalgic memories it brings back. Are the books a bit cheesy and ridiculous? Yes. But so are the TV shows Tales from the Crypt, Creepshow, and X-Files and I still thoroughly enjoy those! These are fun, easy reads not meant to be taken too seriously! And I enjoy them. :)
Precia
Jun 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is really old and frankly still has an old scare attached to it! I had goosebumps and it felt so creepy reading this book in the dark! Gosh, if your looking for a great scary book, these are one of them!
Chandra
Aug 28, 2008 rated it did not like it
Who do you root for when the heroes are utter pricks and the villain is a whiny bitch?
No one. The answer is, you root for no one. You just hope that the book will be over as soon as possible.
Bex
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jumping between two time lines this shows the master at work. Weird twist towards the end took away most of the scare but very glad I didn't remember it!
Felicity
this book is crazy ! it was soo fun to read ! this is not one of the books that you will forget all about and even forget wat page your on ... you will always remember what page your on 1
Kelly
Nov 19, 2015 added it
I only got this app today how do u read the book
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

There are a couple of parts to this book that alternate between the summer of 1956 and the summer in the present (which I’m assuming is in 1992 because that’s when this book is published. Lol), each with their own set of characters. And these two different groups of friends in these two different decades are connected by a beach house... and murder.

In 1956 we have this group of friends who are joined by Buddy who is basically a tourist vacationing in this beach tow
Cameron Mitchell
Sep 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I first picked up this book, I thought it was going to be a little more lighthearted, as of course most of us have heard of Goosebumps. But I was mistaken, it was a super weird turn when in like the 30 first pages, someone gets murdered. I’m not going to say a lot, but this book had many weird turns. I was confused for a while as the story goes back in forth from the 50s to present without any explanation. The Beach House is of this creepy house that nobody has ever really lived in, its ju ...more
Bailey Peyton
Jun 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
Ok. I got this book as part of a bind up of Beach House and Beach Party, and this was an odd one for Stine, who up to this point, was known best for his murder mystery Point Horror thrillers. This novel did have the element of a murder mystery, but also had the extra umph of time traveling, I believe the novel switched between present day (1991) and the late 1950's or early 60's (either way, I do recall during a flashback scene, the main girls were scandalized by a bikini clad chick). The tale b ...more
Megan
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Gayle Noble
My journey through rereading my Point Horror collection continues. This one is about two lots of high school teen disappearances, one in 1956 and one in present day. It was ok, I thought the ending could have been better. I've noticed in these books that many of the characters in these books have weird personal habits, always whistling or clicking their fingers, or playing mean 'jokes' on people. All I could think was how annoying it would be in real life.
Kara Rutledge
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
I read Beach House by R.L. Stine in high school originally. I remember thinking it was such a grown up YA novel at the time and absolutely loving it.

Fast forward to the present day. While in Goodwill, I found a copy of it and bought it.

I decided to read it last night for shits and giggles. I vaguely remembered part of the premise of the book while reading it.
Sandra
Oct 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This is an entertaining short read with a plot twist that I would never have guessed in a million years!! Would recommend for a fun little timewaster. One of the best Point Horror books in my collection.
Beth Heiss
Sep 12, 2017 rated it liked it
A quick, fun read. R.L. Stine asks too many questions and leaves unanswered questions, only to answer them in the next chapter (must be from writing all those "you choose" books). The ending was a little too pat, but still a nice, light horror book.
Dania Tariq
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I loved the story the plot the cilantro every thing was great
mathiev
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Just a great souvenir. Bought that when I was a very young teen, in Maine, and i loved the cover! that's all i can remember!
Natasha ⚡️
Jul 06, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found this pretty interesting actually, not the usual book where you already know who the killer is from early in the book.
Whitney Price

Reading level Interest level 14-17 boys and girls
Potential hot lava:
Murder, gore & violence

General response/reaction:
I thought it was a typical teenage horror book. It was an easy read yet interesting. I read it in one night so I thought that adolescents would have an easy time rea
Elaine Mullane
Mar 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I used to absolutely LOVE the Point Horror books! I would go through each of them in one sitting, for the most part. They definitely tweaked my interested in the horror genre.
Sati Marie Frost
Strange book here. Hard to rate. It gets four stars from me for a weird and cool plot idea, and three stars for characters that I didn't hate but couldn't really empathise with, and two stars for a confusing narrative - so averaging out at three, I guess.

I can't really say much about it without giving everything away. It tells the story of two sets of four teenagers, plus a fifth wheel with each set, that lived forty-ish years apart. In the past, the teenagers are being murdered one by one. In t
Future Slayer Girl
Oct 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is the man that started it all…

The legend…

The Master…

The inspiration behind my need to write and the man that made me a book hoarder…

R.L. Stine…

This was the first book I ever read by him. I didn’t realize there were books out there that were for my age group that had some kissing, heavy petting, and a totally crazy psycho serial killer. Not to mention the beach house built on a time warp! Hello! For a twelve year old that was pretty amazing and graphic. In this story we follow two groups of
Rleffert37
Jan 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
From the beginning I thought that the setting would be in the fifties and Buddy would spend the summer at the Beach House that seems to be abandoned. Within a few chapters you'll learn that the book takes place in both the fifties and eighties. The main characters Ashley and Ross spend the summer of 1986 with their other friend Brad who has a deadly secret about the beach house. And in the summer of 1956, Maria and Amy hand out on the beach talking about how they will spend their summer.

In the
Olivia Hennis
Apr 10, 2016 rated it did not like it
Like everything Stine has ever written, including his newly released return to the Fear Street series, this is so very dated.

The plot is a bunch of manpain. I remember reading this when I was in elementary school and enjoying the twist (seen in spoilers in other reviews). But upon re-reading, this whole book just had me rolling my eyes.

Flat characters who I could barely tell apart. Flat prose/lack of meaty descriptions.

Includes: Strong language. Descriptions of violence. Violence against women.
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)
  • Final Exam
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Waitress
  • Prom Dress
  • The Perfume
  • The Phantom
  • See You Later
  • Mirror, Mirror (Point Horror, #13)

R. L. Stine b

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Funhouse
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)