Start by marking “The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)” as Want to Read:
The New Girl (Fear Street, #1)

The New Girl

(Fear Street #1)

The new girl is as pale as a ghost, blond, and eerily beautiful -- and she seems to need him as much as he wants her. Cory Brooks hungers for Anna Corwin's kisses, drowns in her light blue eyes. He can't get her out of his mind. He has been loosing sleep, ditching his friends...and everyone has noticed.

Then as suddenly as she came to Shadyside High, Anna disappears. To fin
Published August 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse (first published 1989)

To ask other readers questions about The New Girl, please sign up.
Reflectiveless Are you asking how to open the book from this page? This website doesn't give out free books, its just a place you can rate them on. You have to find…moreAre you asking how to open the book from this page? This website doesn't give out free books, its just a place you can rate them on. You have to find them elsewhere. (less)

Obsidian
Apr 17, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
I at one point owned about every Fear Street book by R.L. Stine when I was a teen. I even had those special edition ones too. I don't even remember this first book and the title kept throwing me off (it's bad, no?) and at least this was short though (180 pages) so there's a reason the plot and character development was so bad.

Everyone in the town of Shadyside knows about Fear Street. A mad millionaire named Simon Fear once lived there and his burned out mansion is all that is left of him and his
Monica
Jul 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
De los primeros libros de la calle del terror que llegó a mí. La historia me llamó la atención bastante, con eso de que en la sinopsis te decían que la chica estaba muerta, ¿ como resistirse a una historia así?
Un chico que se enamora al ver a una muchacha sencilla y que nadie más parece ver, a partir de ahí hace lo imposible por dar con ella y eso lo lleva al extremo de ponerse a buscar en los registros telefónicos e incluso caminar entre las calles para ver si sale de alguna casa.
Un poco intens
DeTerrius Woods
Jul 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I'm Back In Love

It's been some years since I have read the "Fear Street" series. I used to read them every chance I get, with every book that I could get my hands on. You couldn't pay me to put the books down. Everywhere I went, the books followed. Lately (I'm 23 now), I've been having the urge to re-read the series and also read the books I never got a chance to, and I'm glad I did. My love for this best-selling series have rekindled. This book started off slow, but when it picked up, it didn't
Annie
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
This book was about a boy named Cory, who lives in Shadyside and goes to Shadyside High. He sees a pretty girl, who's as pale as a ghost, named Anna. He is soon attracted to her and wants her. As soon as he meets her, Anna disappears. The only thing Cory knows about Anna is that she lives on Fear Street, a street that's spooky and a little haunted. After her disapperance, Cory channges because he could not stop thinking about her, losing a lot of sleep, and leaving his friends to look for her. H ...more
Latasha
Oh Brad

I read these books when I was a preteen & early teenage years. I decided to re-read the Fear Street series. Oh Brad. I hope you get smarter. I really do.
Vicki
Oct 10, 2018 rated it liked it
I have to be honest and say that IF I ever read any of R.L. Stine books before, I don't remember them so I doubt I have. I needed a horror book and thought why not?

The story is really cute, although not to "complicated" and intricately woven for adults. But it's a fun and quick read and I can see why young people love his books. In this story, Cory is a teenager who eyes Anna and she piques his immediate interest. She's like an enigma to him. And there are reasons she is kind of a mystery to him
Grace
Mar 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
First outing for our "Trash Teen Horror" book club and what a way to begin. Why yes these books can certainly be amusing as an adult. Sure the twist was fairly telegraphed, but I still enjoyed the journey to the ending. 3.5 stars
Cindy
Nov 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who like to read scary books
Ken
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Having grown up with Goosebumps and Point Horror, it’s slightly strange that I’ve not read a Fear Street book before.
With plans for a forthcoming movie trilogy and being a sucker for anything horror, so I decided to give this first one a read.

Set in the fictional city of Shadyside. We’re introduced to Corey Brooks, a teenager attending the local high school. When new girl Anna Corwin catches he’s eye, Corey soon becomes infatuated with her.
He learns that she’s moved into Fear Street, a creepy pa
Liliana
Reviewed on Lili Lost in a Book

Oh my gods, the first Fear Street book ever and I finally read it!

Charlie

So, we have Cory who is f*cking insane because after seeing Anna in passing, he pretty much becomes obsessed with her. We’re talking about a 5 second glance, maybe less. Ugh. Anyway, he soon begins to wonder if Anna is even real because she is just so elusive and mysterious. But he just has to find out everything about her because, obsessed.

dramatic eyeroll

I could smell the instalove from miles away... ugh! Cory’s o
Jennifer Brown
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've missed reading the Fear Street novels. I devoured them when I was younger! When I saw that they were re-released, I knew I had to read them again. This one wasn't as scary as I remembered them to be. I think my imagination makes the books worse! Can't wait to read more of them!
Jacquelyn
This series is so nostalgic for me! Every once in a while I love picking up a Fear Street novel and emerging myself in the oddities that hide in Fear Street. These are short novels that always have a mini cliffhanger at the end of each chapter, just tempting you to read more. I find myself thinking about this series every year around the time I’m desperately wanting it to be Fall and to satisfy my craving for a little spook. What better way than starting with the book that started it all, the fi ...more
Marija
The problem with this series in general is that sometimes the characters are behaving so stupidly. For example, someone threatens your life over the telephone and the idea to tell your parents never crosses your mind. C'mon how stupid can you be?

Then another character creates even more problems by not talking to people. If they only said "Look, you can't do that and go there because..." half of the problem wouldn't even exist.

Also, there is one thing that is not adding up. (view spoiler)
Tasha-Lynn
Feb 28, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure I have ever hated a main character as much as I did this kid. Jeeze...
Cassi
Mar 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely atmospheric and a decent mystery but oh these characters are terrible. Terrible and lucky.
Cecilee
Oct 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Your boy is dumb and thirsty.
Aya Sakamoto
Jun 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book made me crazy. I became bad mood because of this. I didnt know guy could be so dumb when falling in love with a very beautiful girl (no offense). I hate Cory 😂
Donna
Sep 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
The book turned out to be not nearly as sinister as the blurb intones but it had its creeptastic moments all the same. Stine knows how to build suspense and keep the reader hanging as the plot moves along. Really, it's no wonder he's been putting out books for so long. He doesn't have an underlying evil about his writing like Stephen King does but it's spooky. It does the trick if you happen to be young and reading it in the dark. It gets under your skin just enough that you turn the light on an ...more
xokaebee
Apr 16, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shannon
Oh my god, Cory was one of the dumbest protagonists I’ve ever seen. This guy was oblivious to everything going on around him and he ignored red flag after red flag. I still don’t even understand why Cory was so obsessed with Anna either. I guess because she was pretty? He saw her once from afar and maybe said hi in the hallway to her before she ran off all dramatically. Next thing I knew, he was finding out her number and address from the phone operator and showing up at her house in the middle ...more
Kelly Hager
Sep 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Bonus star for the fact that it's a Fear Street novel.

I was a huge fan of the Fear Street books as a kid, but I'm pretty sure I missed this one.

This is actually the first ever Fear Street novel, and we spend most of the book thinking that it's a ghost story. (Spoiler: it is not.)

I really wanted to love this book but honestly, it was a struggle to even like it. Yes, it's the first Fear Street novel, but honestly, his books got so much better and so much spookier. (That would not be hard to do.)

Th
andrea
Wynter
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book over three times now, maybe even more & I love it even more each time I read it. This book is about a boy name Cory & one day he sees a very pretty girl named Anna, but Anna is not the person Cory thinks she is. Can't really say anything because i dont want to spoil the book for anyone but this book had a crazy plot twist at the end & I guarantee it will have you on the edge of your seat! I recommend this book to anyone! it's very interesting!
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
Wow. I mean really, this was awesome. R.L. Stine has such talent of when you THINK you know what's going to happen, it changes and makes you second guess yourself.
The New Girl did just that. Through reading it it had so many twists and turns! Finally I gave up trying to guess the truth lol. The ending was crazy though but I must say, it left me with more questions because while it did change a lot, it left me questioning if the ending was the truth or not. I guess we'll never know.
Shannon
Jan 03, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
Yes, that RL Stine. Yes, that Fear Street. I wanted to see how well one of my favorite series held up, and the answer is: remarkably well. Some bits of the story have been updated from the original (listening to the Walkman became the cell phone, etc). Great high-interest book for struggling readers.
Jenni
Holy shit, was this a miserable experience. The first book of the best selling YA horror series of all time, and man did kids in the late 80s had bad taste. YA has really come so far since this was released.

If you want to hear me complain about this some more, the first episode of our YA horror podcast, YAmpires will be up soon.
Justin
I'm not adding all of them, but I loved the Fear Street books as a pre-teen. They're terribly written for the most part, but come on. This dude didn't just write a book about demon-possessed cheerleaders; he wrote THREE books about demon-possessed cheerleaders!
Audrey
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked how this book was very mysterious - a little scary - but very interesting. I really wanted to find out what would happen in the end! It's all about a star gymnast who thinks this new girl is eerily beautiful. He has to find and talk to her!
Lazar
Apr 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
I honestly didn't expect the ending ! The book was good !
Raven
I don't love this book nearly as much as I did when I was younger but still a solid 3 star book!
YAmpires Book Club: Chs 1- 5 4 8 Jun 13, 2015 04:45PM
Genre and Topic 3 11 Mar 24, 2013 08:19PM
Fear Street series 5 21 Jan 11, 2013 04:19PM
  • Final Exam
  • Spellbound
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • The Mall
  • Prom Dress
  • The Accident (Point Horror, #16)

R. L. Stine b

Fear Street (1 - 10 of 51 books)
  • The Surprise Party (Fear Street, #2)
  • The Overnight (Fear Street, #3)
  • Missing (Fear Street, #4)
  • The Wrong Number (Fear Street, #5)
  • The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6)
  • Haunted (Fear Street, #7)
  • Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8)
  • The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9)
  • Ski Weekend (Fear Street, #10)
  • The Fire Game (Fear Street, #11)