Start by marking “Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1” as Want to Read:
Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1

Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1 (Oresama Teacher #1)

4.15  ·  Rating details ·  3,670 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
Reads R to L (Japanese Style) T audience.

Mafuyu is the ideal yanki chick—no-nonsense, take-charge, and hard-hitting. But when she gets expelled for being a delinquent, her mother, fed up with her daughter’s wayward ways, sends Mafuyu to an isolated school far off in the country.

Published March 1st 2011 by VIZ Media LLC (first published January 18th 2008)

Lucie Paris
Dec 18, 2011 rated it liked it
Reactions:
From the creator of the manga « The Magic Touch » published by Delcourt in France, here's a story about a yankee who wishes to change her image by starting anew her high school years. An interested manga to read because of the heroine with a heart: Mafuyu. I really like her!

Tsubaki Izumi offers us a funny manga with a rather complex and endearing heroine. By turns frightening, by the inhuman strength she has shown in her fights, she also remains a shy girl in front of her teacher and c
Angelina Justice
Mar 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, graphic-novel, manga
This gender reflective Manga is unusual because it combines a serious topic with inane hilarity. The heroine is battling her own deeply ingrained habits and ideals in an attempt to conform. Conformity for a girl means pleasant, sweet, cute, etc.

Mafuyu is just not that kind of girl. She is, in the eyes of society, a guy-like delinquent. She is deeply honorable, but it is not valued because of her propensity for violence.

She is determined to change, but before she even begins at her new school, on
Julie
Jul 16, 2017 rated it liked it
This manga was a mess. It was all over the place and I have no idea what is happening, but it was funny and interesting so I guess we'll see how it goes.
Mary
"Okay, I used to be a straight-up delinquent."

At least the idea was interesting? Mafuyu is forced to attend a new school in the hopes of changing her delinquent ways and become a normal girl. Of course, things go wrong and she stops a fight her first night there. Turns out the guy she saved is her homeroom teacher, Takaomi.

And he's such an asshole.

Mafuyu painted a romantic picture of this ass when she was little and....still does so despite how he hasn't changed. Ew. He's her teacher too. No tha
Carolina
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga
One of my favorite series. Mafuyu is so different from the typical shoujo damsel-in-distress and I adore her to bits. Her friends are also endearing. This series is so much fun to read and I kind of hope that it'll never end.
Sarah Evans
May 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Fun school/love story with classic manga comedy elements.
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
Mar 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Some awkward moments here and there but it did get interesting. Wonder what will happen next.
Sara
May 05, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm not sure that this is a series that I will continue.
Briana Hanson
Aug 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: great-laughs
Story and Art by Izumi Tsubaki. Published in English by Shojo Beat of Viz Media in 2011.

Demographic: Shoujo. Genre: Action, Romantic Comedy.

Series Synopsis: Mafuyu’s life of ignorant delinquency has landed her in an isolated high school: Midorigaoka Academy. Now Mafuyu must become a normal no-fights girl or be disowned by her mother. Leaving the life of a gang leader behind completely is difficult. Childhood friend Takaomi—the one who set Mafuyu on the path to today’s dilemma—is Mafuyu’s homeroo
Patrícia
Feb 14, 2012 rated it liked it
(Manga) RATING: The first volume was enough for me. / OR: 2.5 stars.

There is some pretty nonsensical manga out there. One good example is Ouran High School Host Club which starts with a completely unbelievable situation and progresses into full-blown comedy and randomness (I haven't read it all yet, but as far as I did, it was a mix of crazy humor and some romance trying to get airtime). The saving grace of these type of (sort-of) gag shojo mangas is that they are genuinely funny. And there is s
Kana
Oct 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I'm going to share my opinions on the eleven volumes of this series that I have read so far, and you're going to bear with me. Okay? Okay. There's this girl Mafuyu, right? (Don't look at me like that, they're Japanese, god dang it.) She's this totally bad ass delinquent who has teenage boys responding to her every beck and call. But then some stuff goes down (it always does), and she finds herself in a boarding school with a not-so-good reputation. There, she ends up reuniting with her childhood ...more
Nandayi Kokonya
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
I am currently at volume 13 but I am putting this review here instead of after volume 12 for the sake of those considering to read this manga but aren't sold on it yet. All I will say is this: if you want to fill your life with "what the hell Izumi sensei??" followed by fits of uncontrollable gasping for air laughter then please "dozo". This has got to be one of the craziest out there slice of life shojo manga ever written. It is supposed to be a shojo manga slice of life but then it hilariously ...more
Kathleen
Mar 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Best manga I've read in a long time!
Oresama teacher is truly a laugh-out-loud series. From experience, I would advise anyone reading this to lock yourself away from others so they wont have to endure you're inexplicable bursts of laughter-- it's really that funny! From the beginning, Oresama Teacher had me hooked. I thought the first book was great, but it honestly gets better as it progresses.

Mafuyu is a hardcore delinquent who has to switch schools due to the trouble she stirred up at her pre
Leticia
Jan 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, manga, women
What do you get when you gender switch the main character in a shounen manga about yankees, school and fighting? Oresama Teacher, of course.

Because that's exactly what this manga is: a story about friendship, struggle and victory, but with a female main character that kinda wish she was in a regular shoujo story and several extremely good looking allies.

Still, this is definitely not a harem manga, as it isn't a gender-bending manga, even if there's quite a bit of crossdressing going on. It's a s
Mello ❣ Illium ✮Harry✮ ☀Myrnin☀ Torin Ichimaru
Synopsis:

Mafuyu is the ideal yanki chick: no-nonsense, take-charge, and hard-hitting. But when she gets expelled for being a delinquent, her mother, fed up with her daughter's wayward ways, sends Mafuyu to an isolated school far off in the country.

Mafuyu, determined to make the best of the situation and make her mother proud, decides to turn over a new, feminine, well-behaved leaf. But her yanki soul can't be kept down, and the night before school starts she finds herself defending some guy who'
Olivia Holani
Nov 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Oresama Teacher , Vol. 1Izumi Tsubaki

I absolutely love this series. It's hilarious. For its genre, it's definitely, by far, my favourite. I came across this gem some months ago online, and after reading up to a certain three-digit chapter, I decided to start buying the offline copies of the series' volumes.

This first volume tells the story of the beginnings of the title's main character (MC), Mafuyu Kurosaki – a former delinquent high schooler. What I like about this MC is that she isn't the ty
Noseinabook
Dec 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned, 2016-reads, manga
This was a very promising beginning. I'm enjoying the characters so far. I'm definitely sensing a possible love triangle in the future, though, so I'm not sure how I feel about that yet. I'll definitely be picking up the next volume.
Sereneblaze
Oct 06, 2013 rated it it was ok

Mafuyu, determined to make the best of the situation and make her mother proud, decides to turn over a new, feminine, well-behaved leaf. But her yanki soul can’t be kept down, and the night before school starts she finds herself defending some guy who’s getting
Selena
This was super disappointing.

I absolutely loved the anime to Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun1, and I figured that I'd read another work by Tsubaki-sensei while I wait for Yen Press to announce when Nozaki's actually being released.

Most of the jokes fell flat, the characters in general weren't particularly likable (especially Tamaoki), and for a somewhat simple story line, I kept getting lost in the text and busy panels. It was hard to finish this manga for me.

I like the idea for this book: delinquent g
Kelly
I feel so conflicted about this series already! While I was laughing out loud during some parts, others made me want to drop it entirely. It's a mess of good things and awkward things and... I just can't help but worry. I give it a three for now, even though a 2 is tempting.
Mafuyu, our heroine, is capital-H Hilarious. I loved her right from the start. The immediate counterpart, however--our "teacher"--turned me off completely. I do NOT like this guy, and I get angry at Mafuyu for even consideri
Dani - Perspective of a Writer
I loved Mafuyu but mainly because of how she first reacts to Takomi Saeki - who himself is rather an awesome mix of punk and adult. She is delightfully innocent while at the same time being an awesome fighter~ I love how her fidgeting need to go to the bathroom was like a pressure building for Hayasaka! Really the intro of both male characters was very cute! Also loved the balcony scene - jumping three stories to escape answering why a teacher?!

Mafuyu has a rather healthy relationship with Hayas
Priya
Apr 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
This series is a gem. The manga starts by introducing the main character as a former delinquent, starting her 'new life' away from her hometown, only to run into a figure from her past. The main plot is practically non-existent in the first volume, as it focuses on Mafuyu's attempts to act like a normal girl.

The humour in this series is a bit random, but nonetheless chuckle-evoking.

I must say now that I am not a huge fan of shoujo mangas, but this series caught my eye for a couple of reasons.
Rachel
Mar 15, 2014 rated it really liked it
At first glance, Oresama Teacher seems obvious, unoriginal, and a typical shoujo, but by the end there is hope that the series will prove otherwise. Mafuyu starts her new life as a normal girl, only to find her true delinquent nature is not so easily dismissed. While she is far from rude, she finds school life difficult, and is prone to defending those she finds getting beaten up by fighting back. At the moment her personality is a little flimsy, and will need time to solidify into a truly likea ...more
Jessica
Dec 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga

Love Mafuyu, as she tries to overcome her delinquent impulses and make friends in her new school. Uncertain about Takaomi, her teacher and childhood crush/tormenter. He seems to alternate between protector and bully as a general state of being. Teacher-student romances seriously squick me out, but it almost seems more like a sibling thing with these two? Maybe? I can't really tell, so future volumes may prompt me to change my rating later. The other primary character is Hayasaki, who is
Megan M
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have a not-so-secret love for the increasingly harder to find non-creepy, non-scandalous student/teacher relationships. And this book delivers for me.

Mafuyu is a former delinquent, expelled to a new school in the country where she plans to change her ways. Except that one of her teachers is a former neighbor who knows all about her past, and seems to really care about her for it. Their relationship is the right kind of weirdly adorable - especially in a scene where he cooks her dinner. <3

T
Kathryn
I spent my entire Good Friday reading this series...
(but it's worth it!)

The series tripped when it first started, but only a tiny bit. I loved the main character, Mafuyu Kurosaki, and found the rest of the cast memorable as well. The story line was surprisingly refreshing; little details are what differentiate this manga series from other school-life/romantic/comedy manga cliches.

To avoid spamming anyone with manga-updates (the way I had last time oops), I'll give

3 stars (really 3.5) to the firs
Moza M.S.T
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anybody who wants a good laugh
Shelves: lmao
Mafuyu Kurosaki is a delinquent leader who was expelled from school for being caught fighting. Her mother, who was tired of her antics sent her off to a different school in the country so that Mafuyu would change her ways. Add in an ex-delinquent homeroom teacher and you'd think it was just a typical student/teacher romances right? WRONG! There is nothing typical about this manga. You fall in love with each character introduced, you laugh at every panel, and you ship everybody together!

The art
Rach
Aug 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, 2012
A cute enough story. I still haven't really figured out exactly what the characters are thinking. Mafuyu seems to just want friends, and doesn't know how to go about it. Hayasaka doesn't seem like a normal delinquent. He likes fighting just for the sake of fighting? And he seems to have a sixth sense that Mafuyu isn't what she claims to be. Takaomi is hard to figure out. Does he like Mafuyu? And what is his real, secret motivation behind becoming a teacher? I guess I'll figure it out eventually.
Rossana
Sep 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: mangas
This is the first manga series that I've started and couldn't stand anymore. I kept trying for many volumes, but it never got better in my opinion. Characters have no complexity and so far no real past I could relate with. It's not romantic enough and not really matches a fighting manga either. If you do not enjoy it after volume three them you won't like it anymore. I can't believe I lost my time going through more than 6 volumes... Maybe this is those kinds of story that you wether love or hat ...more
Elaine
Oct 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
A romance(?) shoujo manga with its antics out of left field. Trying hard to be an ex-delinquent Mafuyu accidentally shows her true yanki colors to a stranger who just so happens to be a teacher at her new school. On top of that, she and her new "friend" Hayasaka have this strange misunderstanding about the nature of their relationship: he thinks that she's bloodthirsty and out to do him in, she thinks that he's being nice and essentially adopts him as her friend. Strange, random, lots of fun and ...more
Shoujo Manga Book...: * Oresama Teacher Discussion 1 5 Jun 28, 2017 06:03PM
Shoujo Manga Book...: Oresama Teacher Discussion 6 20 May 30, 2013 05:11AM
  • Penguin Revolution: Volume 1
  • 1/2 王子 1 (1/2 Prince, #1)
  • Seiyuu-ka! Vol 1
  • Tokyo Crazy Paradise, Vol. 1
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Tenshi Ja Nai!! (I'm No Angel), Vol. 1 (Tenshi Ja Nai, #1)
  • Flower in a Storm (Flower in a Storm, #1)
  • Happy Cafe, Vol. 1 (Happy Cafe, #1)
  • Love Monster (Volume 07)
  • A Devil and Her Love Song, Vol. 1 (A Devil and Her Love Song, #1)
  • ごくせん 1 (Gokusen #1)
  • The Beads Club
  • My Heavenly Hockey Club, Volume 1
  • Immortal Rain, Vol. 1
  • 赤髪の白雪姫 1 [Akagami no Shirayukihime 1] (Snow White with the Red Hair, #1)
  • Kiss/Hug, Vol. 01